Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Made lovely dinner for myself and Captain Bitey McAfee. For myself it was Moroccan lentils with sweet potato, silverbeet, and feta (sweet potato instead of pumpkin, silverbeet instead of spinach). Bitey got a simplified version of it, without the onions, feta, salt and pepper, etc, plus a little bit of spinach that I did have. So basically, cooked sweet potato, silverbeet, and lentils. He was very disappointed at not getting to sit on the stove while I made dinner, as I've made sure the stovetop is the one place he can't get to without help (and I've avoided putting him up there myself so he gets he's not meant to be up there). He ran around at my feet squeaking instead, grabbing bits of lentil, sweet potato, and silverbeet I dropped. He is currently in my plastic bowl scoffing down his dinner, which he is very much enjoying! I'm eating mine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I may or may not have just adjusted a toy in the cockatiel's cage so that a bell is hanging over his nap perch at head height in the hopes of getting bellHat

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm too paranoid about letting boop out when cooking is being done. I know parrots are smart enough to not do dumb poo poo like walk into a fire, but with a bird left flighted and fascinated with food I'm having, it only takes one quick swoop before they've landed in a pot of boiling water.

Leaving her on the ground when I'm not paying her full attention is not an option either. Even if the cat isn't inside, it only takes one step in the wrong spot because you're doing other things. And we have had at least one person in this thread lose their green cheek from that exact thing.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 10, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When :derptiel: Pion is chewing on my clothes, constantly, is that trying to eat it, destroy it, or meaning to preen me?

Because at this rate the most expensive part of keeping bird is going to be new clothes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

When :derptiel: Pion is chewing on my clothes, constantly, is that trying to eat it, destroy it, or meaning to preen me?

Because at this rate the most expensive part of keeping bird is going to be new clothes.
It's affection.

Alexis used to do it constantly so I'd just wear crappy tshirts around the house, but she doesn't do it any more.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Is bird, can't fix.

But yeah it's preening, generally. Judah isn't into clothes but he loves to basically tongue-kiss the arms of my glasses because he has no sense of propriety.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, when I'm boiling water for pasta etc that is bird in cage time, even if I know he can't get up to the stovetop. I've read too many horror stories of birds falling into boiling water :cry:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

Is bird, can't fix.

But yeah it's preening, generally. Judah isn't into clothes but he loves to basically tongue-kiss the arms of my glasses because he has no sense of propriety.

Then how about the curtains? Those are apparently also delicious :shepface:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Dinosaur bird

nielsm posted:

Then how about the curtains? Those are apparently also delicious :shepface:

It will never stop. Start learning to put strategically placed cardboard tubes etc around the place :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Dinosaur bird
The excited, crest-up cockatiel in the back makes it even better. Like he's at his own little Jurassic Park for a tour and they're at the insane conure exhibit.

EDIT

This tumblr has some amazing juvenile cockatiel pictures, the stubby crests and huge dark eyes get me every time: http://cockatielcove.tumblr.com/

Tendai fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 10, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
We took the bottom off the cage and turned it upside-down so I could clean it without grabbing the birds to move them into the travel cage.

The budgies promptly flew out and circled the room in a panic and Hubris ended up stuck between a wall and a thankfully turned-off radiator. My boyfriend had to gently grab him to rescue him. :doh:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

painted bird posted:

We took the bottom off the cage and turned it upside-down so I could clean it without grabbing the birds to move them into the travel cage.

The budgies promptly flew out and circled the room in a panic and Hubris ended up stuck between a wall and a thankfully turned-off radiator. My boyfriend had to gently grab him to rescue him. :doh:

Budgies are so majestic

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Budgies are so majestic

MAJESTIC

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Apple is the bestest thing!

Now to see if I can abuse i to get her to hate belly and cheek petting a little less.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

My friend is messaging me about a budgie in a tree at his apartment complex. He's trying to coax it down so he can rescue it. They have a cockatiel so they have supplies, etc and I have a spare cage.:ohdear:

I hope he can get the little guy down. He's a little blue and white thing. Any advice? :ohdear:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shirec posted:

My friend is messaging me about a budgie in a tree at his apartment complex. He's trying to coax it down so he can rescue it. They have a cockatiel so they have supplies, etc and I have a spare cage.:ohdear:

I hope he can get the little guy down. He's a little blue and white thing. Any advice? :ohdear:

No idea if it'd work, but millet on a stick to keep it occupied, while someone else catches it with a towel?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

The excited, crest-up cockatiel in the back makes it even better. Like he's at his own little Jurassic Park for a tour and they're at the insane conure exhibit.

He doesn't even seem to realise it's directed at him, or that it's aggressive and not flirty. He responds in kind, which pisses off Ohtori even more because now Steve is totally threatening him do you see this poo poo

painted bird posted:

A vet did this to my male zebra finch, pulled all his tail feathers out with the tongs he used to grab him. Bird died the next day :(

nielsm posted:

Apple is the bestest thing!

Now to see if I can abuse i to get her to hate belly and cheek petting a little less.

Does anyone's cockatiel like belly petting? They seem to have a strict "neck and above" thing only going on

Shirec posted:

Could possibly take the cockatiel outside in a cage, along with the spare one, see if it recognises bird and flies to investigate and check cage for food? Try the same with just the cage and food in it?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

He doesn't even seem to realise it's directed at him, or that it's aggressive and not flirty. He responds in kind, which pisses off Ohtori even more because now Steve is totally threatening him do you see this poo poo
No means no, Steve :mad:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Anyone play Rift? If so here you go!!!

http://community.riftgame.com/en/2015/07/09/head-to-the-races-for-budgie-week-july-9-15/

You can get a budgie mount! lol

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

The budgie flew away. I hope he's ok :( My friend is keeping a look out

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie didn't chew her feathers again for more than a week, but today I found some more fragments in her sleeping cage :(

The consensus is that it is basically hormonal because she is suuper-nesty at this time of year and just wants to chew chew chew all day and all night but this is loving breaking my heart - I can't stop her doing this, she is loved, she is cuddled, she is listened to and hugged (btw she hates hugs, it is a family joke), she is kissed and yes, she is loved. But she is hurting herself when no-one is looking and I have to convincingly pretend everything is fine when she is awake because I don't want to make her self-concious about her baldy tum and jesus, I don't want her to make any connection between plucking and getting extra attention and love.

So I cry when she is asleep.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Battle Pigeon posted:

A vet did this to my male zebra finch, pulled all his tail feathers out with the tongs he used to grab him. Bird died the next day :(

Oh noo. :( I hope Hubris is going to be okay, drat.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Pookie didn't chew her feathers again for more than a week, but today I found some more fragments in her sleeping cage :(

The consensus is that it is basically hormonal because she is suuper-nesty at this time of year and just wants to chew chew chew all day and all night but this is loving breaking my heart - I can't stop her doing this, she is loved, she is cuddled, she is listened to and hugged (btw she hates hugs, it is a family joke), she is kissed and yes, she is loved. But she is hurting herself when no-one is looking and I have to convincingly pretend everything is fine when she is awake because I don't want to make her self-concious about her baldy tum and jesus, I don't want her to make any connection between plucking and getting extra attention and love.

Hormonal, eh? Maybe our birds need to get together. :pervert:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

Oh noo. :( I hope Hubris is going to be okay, drat.

Oh woah no it was because of the way he was handled and treated by the vet that did him in, not the event (though it wouldn't have helped, esp since he was already unwell). I'm sure Hubris will be fine!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pookah posted:

I hope Pookie is okay. It's sad that you're trying everything you can and it still happens. However, maybe it will stop eventually if it's just hormonal.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sekkira posted:

I'm too paranoid about letting boop out when cooking is being done. I know parrots are smart enough to not do dumb poo poo like walk into a fire, but with a bird left flighted and fascinated with food I'm having, it only takes one quick swoop before they've landed in a pot of boiling water.

Leaving her on the ground when I'm not paying her full attention is not an option either. Even if the cat isn't inside, it only takes one step in the wrong spot because you're doing other things. And we have had at least one person in this thread lose their green cheek from that exact thing.

I've heard stories of people in wheelchairs running over their parrots while they were distracted with their cooking.

I'm a poo poo cook and don't know pans and stuff are stick and non stick so If I cook anything that isn't a coffee or toast, the bird goes outside. Otherwise he stays on my shoulder because I don't need to watch a kettle or toaster.

E: Some thing I want to ask, is pumpkin ok for birds, can't get a solid answer, and you guys that live in snowy areas, how do you keep your birds warm because we are supposed to be getting heavy snow (think Australian standards but this is an area where it never snows) in areas of far north NSW, and I only live about 60-90 minutes north of that.

It was very cold last night here, how do you guys keep your birds warm enough at night? I don't think its snowed anywhere more north than the snowy mountains (1600km south) in Australia the entire time I've been alive.

For reference, I live maybe 30-40 minutes north west of Surfers paradise, as in the main touristy/surf/beach area of the Gold Coast. It's not supposed to be cold here. Our winters are supposed to be UK summers.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 11, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I've heard stories of people in wheelchairs running over their parrots while they were distracted with their cooking.

I'm a poo poo cook and don't know pans and stuff are stick and non stick so If I cook anything that isn't a coffee or toast, the bird goes outside. Otherwise he stays on my shoulder because I don't need to watch a kettle or toaster.

E: Some thing I want to ask, is pumpkin ok for birds, can't get a solid answer, and you guys that live in snowy areas, how do you keep your birds warm because we are supposed to be getting heavy snow (think Australian standards but this is an area where it never snows) in areas of far north NSW, and I only live about 60-90 minutes north of that.

It was very cold last night here, how do you guys keep your birds warm enough at night? I don't think its snowed anywhere more north than the snowy mountains (1600km south) in Australia the entire time I've been alive.

For reference, I live maybe 30-40 minutes north west of Surfers paradise, as in the main touristy/surf/beach area of the Gold Coast. It's not supposed to be cold here.

I can't afford nice non-stick pans so all my cooking things are lovely regular metal pans :v: I do make sure not to leave any plastic utensils in my dishes while I'm cooking though, so they don't accidentally melt and give off fumes.

My vet says pumpkin is okay for birds, though as it's fairly high energy (pumpkin seeds are super mega ultra high energy) it's a "sometimes food". It has vitamin C so it's good for if your bird needs more iron (iron and vitamin C work together in humans and birds).

When it's cold I make sure I have my little fan heater on (somewhere where Captain Bitey can't get to it to roast himself), and my windows and curtains are closed. As my room is quite small it doesn't take much to heat it up. I also have a little hand towel "nest" for Bitey to climb into in his cage (though he doesn't seem too worried about it at the moment). If I lived in NSW or any further south, or at a higher altitude like where my parents live, or if he were an outside bird, I'd have to do more to keep him warm.

e: With chickens, a good way to keep them warm is to feed them their food as a warm mash: their regular pellets, but mixed with warm water, replaced multiple times a day. Eating lots is their main way of keeping their body temperature up, and having something hot and squishy to eat helps even more. This might be a good idea for parrots on a pellet diet too, but to be honest I haven't tried it as it really doesn't get cold enough here.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 11, 2015

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop curls up in the happy hut in the cage to go to sleep. But she doesn't seem to give any fucks about temperature. When it's super cold in the room, she'll happily take a bath in the fresh cold water I just put in.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My birds have to go outside. Theres no room for them indoors and even if there was, our property manager is a complete rear end in a top hat. She actually took pictures of the completely empty (not even perches or bowls) small travel cage I have sitting on my shelf and started going on about how it was proof I had the birds inside all the time and how it was she was going to have it listed against us.

This is the same property manager who is causing a heap of fuss about the snakeproof barrier around the proper cages. As in the one she could see outside through the glass door directly behind her. With cages that birds actually live in, with food and water and toys and perches and actual birds in them.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 11, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bitey had a little bit of a vomit :psyduck: I'm going to assume this is because he's a stupid loving bird who ate more sweet potato than his stomachs could handle (aka a LOT), but I'm seeing my vet on Monday anyhow. Stupid glutton bird.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Bitey had a little bit of a vomit :psyduck: I'm going to assume this is because he's a stupid loving bird who ate more sweet potato than his stomachs could handle (aka a LOT), but I'm seeing my vet on Monday anyhow. Stupid glutton bird.

Could he have been regurgitating for you? You may be getting courted or just shown birb love.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Arriviste posted:

Could he have been regurgitating for you? You may be getting courted or just shown birb love.

Possibly, but he's only 9 weeks old and in general seems to have eyes bigger than his stomach (he's currently trying to eat my necklace).

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also, having realised that the stovetop is where the sweet potato portal supposedly is, Captain Bitey has become hellbent on getting up there. He was running back and forth and making many fruitless attempts to fly up to the bench, fridge, and stovetop earlier. He spent over an hour trying to get up there, doing the same tactic of "leaping from a cardboard box and flapping REALLY HARD" over and over again in the hopes that this time it will actually work. He can't be lured away with millet because holy poo poo you guys, there could be a whole plane of sweet potatoes up there!

This is why I think the spewing might be sweet potato related. He has only just discovered it and apparently it's the best thing in the whole loving world. I think I'm going to have to keep some on hand for treats.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Generally speaking if they pump their head up and down alot and then vomit a little bit all in the same place that is social regurgitating. if they shake their head and that poo poo gets EVERYWHERE they're vomiting.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Agent355 posted:

Generally speaking if they pump their head up and down alot and then vomit a little bit all in the same place that is social regurgitating. if they shake their head and that poo poo gets EVERYWHERE they're vomiting.

It went everywhere, some even got all the way over on my doona :barf: I think I will have to severely limit how much sweet potato I give Captain Bitey as he is clearly not responsible enough to judge how much he can eat on his own.

He's being very cuddly tonight anyway. He's currently ensconced in the hood of my hoodie against the back of my neck (he was in my armpit earlier), and when I poke him he makes a little squeaky "chattering" noise. I tried looking up what the noise means and Google informs me it means he's simultaneously happy, lonely, excited, anxious, sleepy, content, cold, hot, and full of sexual vigour.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Google informs me it means he's simultaneously happy, lonely, excited, anxious, sleepy, content, cold, hot, and full of sexual vigour.
parrots.txt, everybody

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Google informs me it means he's simultaneously happy, lonely, excited, anxious, sleepy, content, cold, hot, and full of sexual vigour.

laughed irl, ty

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

you guys that live in snowy areas, how do you keep your birds warm because we are supposed to be getting heavy snow (think Australian standards but this is an area where it never snows) in areas of far north NSW, and I only live about 60-90 minutes north of that.

For reference, I live maybe 30-40 minutes north west of Surfers paradise, as in the main touristy/surf/beach area of the Gold Coast. It's not supposed to be cold here. Our winters are supposed to be UK summers.

Electric oil-filled radiator heaters are said to be the best for birds, since they give off nothing but ambient heat. Albert used one all winter and is all good.

I have read though that you should run it for a day in a separate room prior to putting it in the bird room (if you buy one new) since there is typically residual rust-proofing chems on the exterior that need to be burned off.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Daisy has reluctantly made the full transition to pellets. I also fully cleaned her cage today which made her kind of grumpy. I have to house sit for someone this week and I'm allowed to bring her. Is this advisable, or will it upset Her more than not seeing me for a week. (someone will be home with her should I opt not to take her)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I tried looking up what the noise means and Google informs me it means he's simultaneously happy, lonely, excited, anxious, sleepy, content, cold, hot, and full of sexual vigour.

To be fair, all of this may in fact be true.