Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If they televise a Trump-Jindal-Fiorina-Santorum debate, it will be the greatest night of my life.

It'll also be the last night of my life because the drinking game will kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The Trump polls just confirm what the internet has been saying all these years: there's a shitload of really crazy american people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm kind of wondering what kind of insanity we're going to hear from the other Candidates in order to boost their numbers to get into the Debates. Specifically Bobby Jindal, I know he's a crazy motherfucker.

Confederate Flag Facial Tattoo?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

If they televise a Trump-Jindal-Fiorina-Santorum debate, it will be the greatest night of my life.

It'll also be the last night of my life because the drinking game will kill me.

What if he actually 2 of Graham, Kasich, and Pataki on board? It could actually look just as serious than the fox debate.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Don's making inroads with the female vote.

quote:

The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding whether or not The Donald still believes that having a lot of sex with a lot of different women is a good qualification for commander-in-chief.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/09/the-donald-is-a-ho.html

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Rubio, doing what everyone expected, says he'd roll back Cuba rapprochement: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/10/marco-rubio-cuba-obama-policy-roll-back

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Rubio, doing what everyone expected, says he'd roll back Cuba rapprochement: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/10/marco-rubio-cuba-obama-policy-roll-back

I guess this is good for the primary, but if he wins the primary this'll hurt in the general. People are in favor of normalization with Cuba. The embargo gets more and more absurd every day.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If they block Trump, then the unofficial debate for the un-Top 10 is going to have Trump, Christie, Santorum, Kasich, Graham, Pataki, Jindal, and Fiorina.(I think that's everyone?) Which will make it not only more entertaining, but will also create a debate with a much larger diversity of opinion. Also Christi an Trump are going to try and out loudmouth rear end in a top hat each other.

In other words it's going to have higher ratings and be talked about by the rest of the media more than the official debate. Which pretty much will make it the defacto official debate. Sorry, Jeb!.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Alter Ego posted:

I guess this is good for the primary, but if he wins the primary this'll hurt in the general. People are in favor of normalization with Cuba. The embargo gets more and more absurd every day.

Well, it's also for his fellow Cubans, who iirc, aren't big on it because REWARDING THE CASTROS.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, it's also for his fellow Cubans, who iirc, aren't big on it because REWARDING THE CASTROS.

Isn't that just the old Cubans, with pretty much all the Cubans Rubio's age and younger being for relations?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gyges posted:

Isn't that just the old Cubans, with pretty much all the Cubans Rubio's age and younger being for relations?

I think, but then, who are the ones who vote?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gyges posted:

Guess which age group tends to vote more in elections in a major swing state?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

If they block Trump, then the unofficial debate for the un-Top 10 is going to have Trump, Christie, Santorum, Kasich, Graham, Pataki, Jindal, and Fiorina.(I think that's everyone?) Which will make it not only more entertaining, but will also create a debate with a much larger diversity of opinion. Also Christi an Trump are going to try and out loudmouth rear end in a top hat each other.

In other words it's going to have higher ratings and be talked about by the rest of the media more than the official debate. Which pretty much will make it the defacto official debate. Sorry, Jeb!.

The RNC is stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Trump.

If you block him from the first debate, you cement a persecution complex in the minds of his supporters so hard that nothing will ever dislodge it. The narrative will become "RINOs are trying to silence Trump because he's telling it like it is!" Trump is basically a golem consisting of all the crap that's been dogwhistled for the last eight years--a Golgothan of racism, misogyny, and stupidity--and instead of shunning him, voters on that side are elevating him to Reagan status. So you can't really keep him out.

But let him in, and you turn the debate into a three-ring circus. Every candidate will have to respond to every stupid thing Trump has said in the last couple of months, and Trump will drag them down to his level and beat them with experience.

It's a no-win situation. And I love it.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Gyges posted:

Someone forgot about Gilmentum!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sir Tonk posted:

Is that the PPACA?

Rand is trying so hard...

Must be the tax code, or maybe a section of the CFR- the PPACA isn't particularly large, nowhere near that scale.

edit: I can't find a source for that image, actually.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Guess which age group tends to vote more in elections in a major swing state?

Na Florida's pretty Democratic, this only helps him in the primary there, and we'll see if he even makes it. Trump is all powerful.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think, but then, who are the ones who vote?

In the 2012 elections the Cuban vote split basically even between Obama and Romney, where it had traditionally been more Republican.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/11/07/latino-voters-in-the-2012-election/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MaxxBot posted:

In the 2012 elections the Cuban vote split basically even between Obama and Romney, where it had traditionally been more Republican.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/11/07/latino-voters-in-the-2012-election/

Again, older Cuban-Americans versus the folks who are tired of grandpa's ranting or want to be able to see their home again before they die.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know why anybody is debating on whether to vote for Hillary or for Bernie when the obvious choice is Trump.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually think Trump is a great because he's such a polarizing figure that regardless of the outcome maybe he'll encourage more people to come to vote.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Gyges posted:

It's important to remember that most of the Cubans in the US were the wealthy elite that had property seized during the revolution when redistribution was occurring.

I was in Cuba in March, and most of Cubans (meaning people LIVING in Cuba) are extremely excited about relationship normalization.

Under Fidel there was a lot of issues, and Cuba still has issues (much like the US has issues) but under Raul there has been a shift to more personal freedoms. Cubans are now allowed to buy and sell land (with governmental approval), along with own businesses (instead if having everything state controlled).

The state does control most of everything, but they are opening up to note free enterprise.

It's important to remember why there was a revolution in Cuba in the first place - a small rich elite and corporations controlled the majority of the wealth and exploited everyone else to increase that wealth. Certain similarities can be drawn to our current situation in the US.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

That's not the issue at all, the problem is that a college degree is required for *any* job that's not minimum wage, and colleges in general cost a ton.

This is absolutely & unequivocally untrue, at least the first part of the statement. It would be better phrased by intimating that a college degree *should* allow a person to enter the workforce at a level above minimum wage.

But I've spent nearly 2 decades working between the offshore & oil/gas industries and can say, beyond anecdotally, that there are plenty of high-wage earners in those sectors that have zero college credits.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hollismason posted:

I actually think Trump is a great because he's such a polarizing figure that regardless of the outcome maybe he'll encourage more people to come to vote.

I don't know if having such a terrible candidate that people turn out in droves to make sure he's not elected is a viable long-term method to increase voter participation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A Trump Republican nomination might actually give the Democrats a tiny sliver of a chance of winning the House.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

A Trump Republican nomination might actually give the Democrats a tiny sliver of a chance of winning the House.

well then

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Might, tiny sliver. Not getting TOO optimistic.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Can candidates switch party affiliation during the campaign trail? I'd love to see Trump run as a Democrat just for shits & giggles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Can candidates switch party affiliation during the campaign trail? I'd love to see Trump run as a Democrat just for shits & giggles.

He's already talking about running as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination. :getin:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Yes, but this may disqualify them from the ballot in certain states and it would be up to the Secretary of State or equivalent election official in those states to determine what to do.

That's really the answer to all these "Air Bud" questions that are being asked in this thread. There's not likely to be a hard-and-fast rule on what happens because it's not going to happen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I thought he was holding a Magic: The Gathering card until I focused. :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Older Cubans are actually all on board the Cuba train since they value seeing their country one last time over keeping up old grudges. So Rubio's basically pulling a Jim Webb here.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

This is absolutely & unequivocally untrue, at least the first part of the statement. It would be better phrased by intimating that a college degree *should* allow a person to enter the workforce at a level above minimum wage.

But I've spent nearly 2 decades working between the offshore & oil/gas industries and can say, beyond anecdotally, that there are plenty of high-wage earners in those sectors that have zero college credits.

Oil & gas are kind of the last vestiges of the unskilled high paying labor that people here pine for and it's not going to be a growth industry moving forward.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i don't think offshore oil & gas is really a go-to option for most people

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Squizzle posted:

I thought he was holding a Magic: The Gathering card until I focused. :psyduck:

Thats says more about you than them.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

TheQat posted:

i don't think offshore oil & gas is really a go-to option for most people

I wasn't implying that, really. I was just providing a counter-point to the idea that a college degree is absolutely necessary to become a high-wage earner. On balance, it's a more likely scenario, yeah.

EDIT: At least here in the Southeast, hard trades (welding, fabricating, pipefitting, etc.) can pull in very respectable yearly salaries for only a fraction of the education required by 4-year universities. And although many of those trades do support the petro/chem industries, they aren't exclusive to those industries.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 10, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Alter Ego posted:

The RNC is stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Trump.

If you block him from the first debate, you cement a persecution complex in the minds of his supporters so hard that nothing will ever dislodge it. The narrative will become "RINOs are trying to silence Trump because he's telling it like it is!" Trump is basically a golem consisting of all the crap that's been dogwhistled for the last eight years--a Golgothan of racism, misogyny, and stupidity--and instead of shunning him, voters on that side are elevating him to Reagan status. So you can't really keep him out.

But let him in, and you turn the debate into a three-ring circus. Every candidate will have to respond to every stupid thing Trump has said in the last couple of months, and Trump will drag them down to his level and beat them with experience.

It's a no-win situation. And I love it.

i just orgasmed

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Anybody know what Vermin Supreme is doing in light of recent election hijinks?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If Trump is kept out of the debates, it wouldn't surprise me if he bought airtime on one of the other major networks to host his own yooj, luxurious debate, with him and every other person who didn't make the cut for Fox News.

He'd try to do it at the same time, but I doubt they'd let him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

C2C - 2.0 posted:

EDIT: At least here in the Southeast, hard trades (welding, fabricating, pipefitting, etc.) can pull in very respectable yearly salaries for only a fraction of the education required by 4-year universities. And although many of those trades do support the petro/chem industries, they aren't exclusive to those industries.

From what some goons here have said they require like double the hours of a traditional job (60 hour weeks are not only common, but expected).

• Locked thread