Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Pureauthor posted:

It really does feel bizarre for there to be a serial adaptation of a movie.

Especially for a lot of things changing up involving locations.

For example, Bulma's birthday now takes place on a cruise ship designed solely for her birthday. And Beerus has his own designed pool chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Webbeh posted:

Especially for a lot of things changing up involving locations.

For example, Bulma's birthday now takes place on a cruise ship designed solely for her birthday. And Beerus has his own designed pool chair.

I take everything back. This remake has fully redeemed itself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If they absolutely must tell the story of BoG/RoF over again for this series, doing them differently is for the best for sure.

But only if they keep "MY BULMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I had a thought. Why didn't Kami ever create a child like Piccolo Sr. did?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

I had a thought. Why didn't Kami ever create a child like Piccolo Sr. did?

No real reason to.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So this is kind of the reverse of when those Dragonball movies came out that summarized parts of the show, but changed things around a bit.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ImpAtom posted:

No real reason to.

He already had one kid that hated him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So this is kind of the reverse of when those Dragonball movies came out that summarized parts of the show, but changed things around a bit.

Yes

the whole thing is just really really weird, like "well we want a new show to start right after Kai but we don't actually have anything new ready"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't wait for the BoG stuff to end only for it to time loop so that way you can see the BoG from Oolong's perspective, then Yamcha's, then Krillin's, then the Great Saiyaman's, and then it's revealed there is a villain looping time constantly in episode 29.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure what happened is this:

They intended to do a series of DBZ movies. Probably a trilogy. They probably didn't think there was enough to actually justify a new series and planned to use the movies in place of that.

And woah, look at that, the movies did gangbusters. People liked them a lot. A sequel is greenlit and then they realize that they can actually probably justify a series! Except now they've been building up a plotline that is mostly told through films and Executive Logic says they don't want to start off two films the audience might not have seen. So a series is greenlit that covers the films again so they don't worry about confusing their audience.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Beef Chief posted:

I can't wait for the BoG stuff to end only for it to time loop so that way you can see the BoG from Oolong's perspective, then Yamcha's, then Krillin's, then the Great Saiyaman's, and then it's revealed there is a villain looping time constantly in episode 29.

I'm getting Endless Eight flashbacks...

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Beef Chief posted:

Oolong denwa~

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Holy poo poo, how did Goku make those guns go super saiyan?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

The Bee posted:

I take everything back. This remake has fully redeemed itself.

We forgot to post the best part of the synopsis for episode 3:

quote:

"The Kaio-shin felt the awakening of God of Destruction Beerus released from a sleep of 39 years. If Goku found out, it would be very dangerous to dare challenge him. Even having warned the North Kaio, the existance of Beerus will remain a secret to Goku...!?"

Part 2: "Quick, it is the birthday of Bulma. Kuririn must drive to the luxury boat where Bulma's birthday takes place. But unexpected things await...!?"

And the Super Start Guide for Dragon Ball Super, which includes such mysteries as:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love that Piccolo wears a hat to hide his antennas but it doesn't change the fact that's a green dude with scales. But then again, Oolong and the like exist in that world so why would it matter?

Or maybe people are racist against people with antennas on their head. If so then that world isn't worth saving anymore Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I love that Piccolo wears a hat to hide his antennas but it doesn't change the fact that's a green dude with scales. But then again, Oolong and the like exist in that world so why would it matter?

Or maybe people are racist against people with antennas on their head. If so then that world isn't worth saving anymore Goku.

Piccolo looks very similar to the insane monster who tried to take over the world. That probably makes people a bit warier.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
He hides his antenna from people so they don't recognize him as King Piccolo. Which, for some reason, works. In the final of the 23rd Tournament, Goku knocked off his turban and people immediately recognized him. I guess antenna are much more memorable than just being a giant green slugman in general.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 10, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Piccolo doesn't have scales. He's a slug-man, not a reptile.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
That isnt a disguise, Piccolo just likes headwear

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

tsob posted:

Holy poo poo, how did Goku make those guns go super saiyan?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope Dragon Ball will end with Piccolo being the strongest, and taking over the world.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

mabels big day posted:

I hope Dragon Ball will end with Piccolo being the strongest, and taking over the world.

"I've been playing the long con the whole time idiots! You fucks only live like 100 years, I just needed to wait for you all to die of old age! Piccolo wins!"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

"I've been playing the long con the whole time idiots! You fucks only live like 100 years, I just needed to wait for you all to die of old age! Piccolo wins!"

Jokes on you Goku thought of this and created Uub and trained Pan.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kild posted:

I thought he trained Uub and created Pan.

Wait poo poo that's Gohan nevermind

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Goku created Gohan to create Pan. Still works.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Beef Chief posted:

Endless 8star ball. :shepface:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kild posted:

Why do you think Piccolo trained gohan and will train pan as a substitute father figure? He has their loyalty when the war comes

Playing the long game

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Why does no one appreciate the most badass villain?

Garlic Jr is my boy

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

Why does no one appreciate the most badass villain?

Garlic Jr is my boy

he hosed up immortality. what a retard

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Thunderbro posted:

he hosed up immortality. what a retard

Twice, even.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Yuo guys be nice to the filler arc

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
OK no more saying Goku is a bad dad after Super ep 1. Sure he let his 7 year old drive a tractor, but he's there for his kid(s) now!

This has been my first experience with the Japanese voices. Goten is soooooo cute, Goku is a little strange but nothing worth all the hate he gets. Holy gently caress Trunks has the worst voice EVER though. How was future Trunks ever popular if he sounded anything like that?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Speaking of Dad-Goku in Super, I really like how he has clearly accepted his son as a scholar, not a fighter. Must have been very hard for him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Million Ghosts posted:

Yuo guys be nice to the filler arc

Garlic Jr. is the biggest loving jabroni.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Speaking of Dad-Goku in Super, I really like how he has clearly accepted his son as a scholar, not a fighter. Must have been very hard for him.

His scholar son is still stronger than Vegeta's fighter son so he wins.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I hope we get to see Pilaf gang wishing for youth on the Dragon Balls.

I hope Pilaf Gang stick around as recurring bumbling villains a la Team Rocket.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sharktamer posted:

OK no more saying Goku is a bad dad after Super ep 1. Sure he let his 7 year old drive a tractor, but he's there for his kid(s) now!

This has been my first experience with the Japanese voices. Goten is soooooo cute, Goku is a little strange but nothing worth all the hate he gets. Holy gently caress Trunks has the worst voice EVER though. How was future Trunks ever popular if he sounded anything like that?

Goku: Hey Chichi I got you a bunch of money, can I abandon the family and go train on King Kai's planet.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

sharktamer posted:

Holy gently caress Trunks has the worst voice EVER though. How was future Trunks ever popular if he sounded anything like that?

Kid Trunks has a completely different voice than future Trunks.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rudoku posted:

Kid Trunks has a completely different voice than future Trunks.

It's also worse than it used to be. The person who does the voice can't quite do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm reminded of Future Trunks' English voice that randomly got way gruffer sometime between Budokai and Budokai 2 and then just stayed that way forever. It's weird, since it's not like they've been on a break since the show ended, they've had to do games like every single year.

• Locked thread