Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey fatso, I still want to read your Korean diaries.

"I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies!"

EDIT: "Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

Something beautiful. You gave me a flamethrower.

I've named her Lucille.

Flamethrowers give enemies a bonus to hit you. I can't promise that you'll be long for this world.

Actually, just for fun, I may make a house rule that when the "Fat Samurai" flamethrower unit dies, it creates an explosion in its hex.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Flamethrowers give enemies a bonus to hit you. I can't promise that you'll be long for this world.

Actually, just for fun, I may make a house rule that when the "Fat Samurai" flamethrower unit dies, it creates an explosion in its hex.

Now I'm hoping that my tank somehow runs him over. :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's heeeeeeerrrrrreeeee!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

COOL CORN posted:

Lord o' mercy.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

COOL CORN posted:

I know that some mapping techniques distort Europe to look bigger, but this is ridiculous.

Also no Antarctica? Bullshit low detail game. Burn and throw away.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I know that some mapping techniques distort Europe to look bigger, but this is ridiculous.

Also no Antarctica? Bullshit low detail game. Burn and throw away.

It looks like the maps are different scales.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It looks like the maps are different scales.

:thejoke:

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

I was hoping to setup a punchline and that wasn't it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I was hoping to setup a punchline and that wasn't it.

I'm not sure what it would be...

Well they're certainly giving the theaters, different weight!

Weight! Like you measure with a scale!

Is that what you were going for?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm not sure what it would be...

Well they're certainly giving the theaters, different weight!

Weight! Like you measure with a scale!

Is that what you were going for?

I was thinking about Germany getting all the attention but then I hosed it up.

Are they actually meant to be played together, despite being so out of sync? That seems kind of ridiculous.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 10, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Are they actually meant to be played together, despite being so out of sync? That seems kind of ridiculous.

Yes, theres a current WIF lp going that uses all the maps

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I don't even own all the maps, there's another full-size map of North America and South America, but I don't own those expansions.

Man these rules are a whole heap of bullshit though. Every other paragraph is an "optional rule" you can use if you own "Cigarette Plants In Flames" or whatever ridiculous expansion. There's so many. There's a whole player aid that's just a checklist for which optional rules you want to use on your playthrough, hahaha.

I thiiiiink I'm just going to play the standard rules first. That's only 6 counter sheets. This "deluxe" version also comes with Ships In Flames, Planes In Flames, Mech In Flames, Asia Aflame (which adds... you guessed it, Scandinavia), and Africa Aflame.

I've heard such good things about this game, but the presentation and whole business surrounding it is soooo laughable.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

COOL CORN posted:

I don't even own all the maps, there's another full-size map of North America and South America, but I don't own those expansions.

Man these rules are a whole heap of bullshit though. Every other paragraph is an "optional rule" you can use if you own "Cigarette Plants In Flames" or whatever ridiculous expansion. There's so many. There's a whole player aid that's just a checklist for which optional rules you want to use on your playthrough, hahaha.

I thiiiiink I'm just going to play the standard rules first. That's only 6 counter sheets. This "deluxe" version also comes with Ships In Flames, Planes In Flames, Mech In Flames, Asia Aflame (which adds... you guessed it, Scandinavia), and Africa Aflame.

I've heard such good things about this game, but the presentation and whole business surrounding it is soooo laughable.

I liked going through the Grog Games thread and reading about how the computer version apparently required manual setup and had neither a single player AI nor any sort of multiplayer?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I liked going through the Grog Games thread and reading about how the computer version apparently required manual setup and had neither a single player AI nor any sort of multiplayer?

It's beautiful. Basically a $100 VASSAL module that you have to play solitaire :allears:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Hot seat! Hot seat gaming is where it's at!

It makes face to face gaming hip to hip, and cheek to cheek. Killer App. Must have.

I'm formatting my floppies right now.

Speaking of precursors to Skynet; did anyone see that gary grigsby's Nightmare on Elm Street: The Eastern Front is available on steam?

It's one of the most wargames of all time! http://store.steampowered.com/app/370540/

"You've got to this game." - PC Gamer 20 years ago
"It's like if a hexes were on a computer." - Quarter 2 Three, also probably 20 years ago. If it existed then.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

It's beautiful. Basically a $100 VASSAL module that you have to play solitaire :allears:

If it had AI, and wasn't $100, WiF would be exactly the sort of product I'd want. The real groggy PC games are incomprehensible to me, a boardgame at least pretends to require that people understand the rules. For a game like that I'd much rather have AI than multiplayer too, to play at my own pace without worrying about any humans.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

An earlier post got me wondering, are there any good hex and counter game, or war games in general, available on IOS?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

An earlier post got me wondering, are there any good hex and counter game, or war games in general, available on IOS?

There's one called War and Battles that currently has a Normandy campaign. It's the best I've seen.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

COOL CORN posted:

There's one called War and Battles that currently has a Normandy campaign. It's the best I've seen.

They recently added the October War (aka Yom Kippur War) as well, which is cool, since it's less well-trod. I haven't messed around in it much though, so I can't say if it's up to par with Normandy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Has anyone tried Heroes of Normandie? It looks to me to be a good tactical game to play with non-wargamers, but still more strategic than Memoir 44.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Can someone explain what the boxes in the ocean squares in World in Flames are and why they matter?

I'm reading the LP and I've no idea whats going on in the naval portions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Can someone explain what the boxes in the ocean squares in World in Flames are and why they matter?

I'm reading the LP and I've no idea whats going on in the naval portions.

From what I understand of WiF, the boxes within sea zones are a sort of representation of how vast and distant navies are in real life. In order to fight another navy, you need to search for them. You perform a search roll, compare/check the result and then that may have you finding your opponent (or not).

The boxes matter because it means you can't stack a huge amount of ships in a zone to make it impossible to attack.

Posts in the OP for the WiF thread, regarding Naval Units and Combat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085#post440047973
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post440473551

quote:

Each sea zone has sea-box section, 0 through 4, these are the where the naval units are kept in the sea zone during a turn. The higher value section you are in, the easier it is to search for enemy units. (More on naval combat and searching later). The USS Detroit has a movement value of 6 and a range of 3. All naval units that first move into a sea area are in the 0 sea box. She can use one movement point first to move to the East Coast area, if there is no further movement, she remains in the 0 box. She has 5 points remaining, it can move up to the 4 box, spending one point per numbered sea box. A ship may want to move to a sea zone and stay in one of the specific boxes to help defend other naval units in that specific sea box, or to help with naval bombardment. She can spend two movement points to move into the North Atlantic. If moved there she would have 3 movement points remaining and could move no higher than the 3 box in that location. A naval unit does not need to have any remaining movement points available to be able to return to base at the end of the turn. If a naval unit is forced to return to base, either through combat or at the end of the turn, it can return to a country's port that is within double the unit's printed range.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 14, 2015

SpellingError
May 7, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Has anyone tried Heroes of Normandie? It looks to me to be a good tactical game to play with non-wargamers, but still more strategic than Memoir 44.

Yes, I own HoN. Have played it only once since I got it, but had a lot of fun with it. The cartoonish design might not be to everyone's taste, but it's definitely a huge step up from Memoir 44. It offers much more strategic depth and introduces concept common in "real" wargames while still being "light" enough to appeal to non-wargamers. I particularly like the way orders are assigned and the bluff concept. It's marketed as a miniature wargame without miniatures and it really feels that way. Would probably act as a good gateway game to draw tabletop gamers into the world of board wargames...

SpellingError fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 14, 2015

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

From what I understand of WiF, the boxes within sea zones are a sort of representation of how vast and distant navies are in real life. In order to fight another navy, you need to search for them. You perform a search roll, compare/check the result and then that may have you finding your opponent (or not).

The boxes matter because it means you can't stack a huge amount of ships in a zone to make it impossible to attack.

Posts in the OP for the WiF thread, regarding Naval Units and Combat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085#post440047973
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post440473551

Thanks, I reread the OP to see where it was explained and somehow I missed it.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So aside from Napoleon's Triumph (which I'm going to play online with a friend this week), what's good in terms of Napoleonics? Between reading a book on Waterloo and playing some Napoleon Total War, I'm in the mood. The other game I've got and enjoy is Command and Colors Napoleonics

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I really like Fading Glory (and hence the napoleonic 20 system) but it is an acquired taste. I would give it a go if you can.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Fading Glory makes hexes work for Napoleonic, so I'd respect it even if it sucked.

I'll use this opportunity to remind people about Manoeuvre: a cute little game in Napoleonic dressing that I did a complete 180 about. It has about as much to do with representing Napoleonic warfare as Jenga, but once you accept it for what it is (a light, fairly abstract game you can enjoy with Carcassone-tier players), it's pretty cool and conveys unique flavor of each nation's forces*.

* Austria's flavor is just sucking.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lichtenstein posted:

Fading Glory makes hexes work for Napoleonic, so I'd respect it even if it sucked.

I'll use this opportunity to remind people about Manoeuvre: a cute little game in Napoleonic dressing that I did a complete 180 about. It has about as much to do with representing Napoleonic warfare as Jenga, but once you accept it for what it is (a light, fairly abstract game you can enjoy with Carcassone-tier players), it's pretty cool and conveys unique flavor of each nation's forces*.

* Austria's flavor is just sucking.

Agree 100%. Manoeuvre isn't a consim in any way, shape, or form, but it's a fantastic game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just ordered my copy of EotS 2e.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Ouch my jealousy.

I just picked up a copy of Field Commander: Napoleon for $40. I was going to go for EOTS, but this deal on FC:N was too good.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Make sure to check the board when you get it in, it seems like there are widespread peeling issues.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I had a p500 of it but it hasn't arrived in Toronto yet. Sucks.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

taser rates posted:

Make sure to check the board when you get it in, it seems like there are widespread peeling issues.

Yas posted:

I had a p500 of it but it hasn't arrived in Toronto yet. Sucks.

Mine shipped on the 3rd and showed up on the 13th in Vancouver. I didn't notice any board peeling but I basically just unfolded it and packed it back up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, Field Commander: Napoleon is really hard. That and I'm really dumb.

I was playing the 1796 Italy campaign, and lost on turn 2 because I charged into battle with Napoleon leading my army; the army was wiped out, leaving Napoleon there with the Austrians, who I'm assuming executed him. Lost the campaign.

But what a cool system, I really like it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's actually fairly easy and you're dumb. Sorry. :(

Though yeah, sometimes it is a reset time when you stumble and lose a major battle. Be sure to play the peninsular campaign, it's the coolest of the lot by far!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Man, Field Commander: Napoleon is really hard. That and I'm really dumb.

I was playing the 1796 Italy campaign, and lost on turn 2 because I charged into battle with Napoleon leading my army; the army was wiped out, leaving Napoleon there with the Austrians, who I'm assuming executed him. Lost the campaign.

But what a cool system, I really like it.

How is the game play? I really want a solitaire game, other than the COIN series, but can't find one that clicks with my brain.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

How is the game play? I really want a solitaire game, other than the COIN series, but can't find one that clicks with my brain.

Fairly simple compared to COIN. Move your pieces, resolve battles, resupply, buy troops, then the enemy does the same. The AI portion is straightforward, since there are only so many things you can do.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I keep taking the field commander games on and off my wish list maybe I will cave and buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Lately I've been wanting a good solo game and I've also been wanting more Napoleonic stuff, so finding out about this is perfect. Shame it'll cost $48 to ship here...