Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a way to change linkshell channels using type-commands? I'm used to the WoW way of typing "/g [message]" or "/r [message]" but I don't know the equivalent command here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a way to change linkshell channels using type-commands? I'm used to the WoW way of typing "/g [message]" or "/r [message]" but I don't know the equivalent command here.

/l1 - /l8

note that's a lowercase L not a capital I. Capital letters won't work.

Similarly shout is /sh, yell is /y, Free company is /fc, /p is party, /a is alliance etc.

With the exception of shout (and maybe yell never tested) you can switch to any of those chats as your primary (including /t /tell with a target name) but just typing that in with nothing after. For example if I'm going to be sending you a lot of tells, I'll just type in /t Sir Phoebos (or if you're in target range I'll select you and type in /t <t>) and hit enter so I can just chat with you without having to type in the /t name bullshit over and over.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hail tanaka

Dr. John Zoidberg
Aug 11, 2008
For the tech people: I'm looking to upgrade my PC, since I've had to lower my graphics settings since heavensward came out. Which part is holding back my performance more: My Sandy Bridge core i5 CPU, or my Radeon 6970 graphics card? Right now I only have enough in the budget for one upgrade.

Normally I would default to just upgrading the graphics card, but since I've heard that this is a cpu intensive game, I'm not sure.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

kharaa posted:

{/vanudance}

Time until people start doing it in lines... uh oh, already started.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mr. Nice! posted:

/l1 - /l8

note that's a lowercase L not a capital I. Capital letters won't work.

Similarly shout is /sh, yell is /y, Free company is /fc, /p is party, /a is alliance etc.

With the exception of shout (and maybe yell never tested) you can switch to any of those chats as your primary (including /t /tell with a target name) but just typing that in with nothing after. For example if I'm going to be sending you a lot of tells, I'll just type in /t Sir Phoebos (or if you're in target range I'll select you and type in /t <t>) and hit enter so I can just chat with you without having to type in the /t name bullshit over and over.

Huh, I tried doing that and all I did was say "/fc" in the channel I was already in.

I'm at work, so I can't test it right now. But I'll try it again later.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm glad that it seems like the token system for Savage will be more like Ex Primals than normal Alexander. Obviously the specifics could gently caress it up (10 tokens to receive a single piece of gear is too many for a weekly lookout), but it sounds promising.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I forget what the benefit of getting something to 100% spiritbound aside from being able to convert it into material.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SirPhoebos posted:

I forget what the benefit of getting something to 100% spiritbound aside from being able to convert it into material.

That's it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mazed posted:

Merlwyb earned my undying loyalty when her response to a respawning bad guy was to calmly shoot him again until the eldritch god watching it unfold got tired of it and just ate him.

That scene single-handedly made me want to level a gun class whenever they got around to making one.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They're genetically engineered maintenance workers, like the Ixal legends said they used to have wings. Also apparently lamia are those floating head voidsent that the allagans added bodies to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. John Zoidberg posted:

For the tech people: I'm looking to upgrade my PC, since I've had to lower my graphics settings since heavensward came out. Which part is holding back my performance more: My Sandy Bridge core i5 CPU, or my Radeon 6970 graphics card? Right now I only have enough in the budget for one upgrade.

Normally I would default to just upgrading the graphics card, but since I've heard that this is a cpu intensive game, I'm not sure.

Heres a potentially useful chart for graphics at least. Its CPU intensive, but that Sandy Bridge i5 should still be fine for the game. How much VRAM do you have?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's it.

I really wish they gave a small stat boost for it or something, seems so silly to spirit bond non convertible gear.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

seorin posted:

Faerie isn't empty at all. It's one of the most populated servers on the data center.

When I looked around it seemed like no one had hive weapons and the MB barely had any forearms/hive bardings. Compare to Cactuar/excalibur where idyllshire feels like more hive weapons than not, and the mb is flooded with the raid items. Is it just not much of an endgame server?

nuru fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 10, 2015

Dr. John Zoidberg
Aug 11, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Heres a potentially useful chart for graphics at least. Its CPU intensive, but that Sandy Bridge i5 should still be fine for the game. How much VRAM do you have?

2 GB

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, get a new GPU first. I'm running on 6970s too, and it's getting lovely with the dx11 update.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

If you investigate the signs in Fractal Continuum and put it together with the folklore of the Ixal, the origin of the Ixal becomes clear. The floating continent they believe they came from? The one that's too high up for even conventional airships to reach? It's Azys Lla. The Ixal are escaped Allagan bio-engineered servants who's wings have degraded due to genetic instability. The Iksalion mobs in Fractal are proto-Ixal.

Likely the progenitors of the modern Ixal escaped the Azys Lla facility during the fall of the empire

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Algid posted:

They're genetically engineered maintenance workers, like the Ixal legends said they used to have wings. Also apparently lamia are those floating head voidsent that the allagans added bodies to.

that's the naga, not lamia. they're not synonyms in this game.

Dr. John Zoidberg
Aug 11, 2008

Truga posted:

Yeah, get a new GPU first. I'm running on 6970s too, and it's getting lovely with the dx11 update.

That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Now to save up for a gtx 970!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DizzyBum posted:

In other news, I'm a little disappointed that the 58 MSQ exp ran out so quickly. The 57 MSQ gravy train got me 75% of the way through that level, though that also included a required dungeon run. 58's MSQ line got me 1/10th of the way to 59.

Took me a week to lvl up, so I got to ride the roulette train. When I got the Heavensward quest(last quest) I was 25% from 60 and I still had my daily roulettes. I only had to do 2 quests in that last zone. Planning on doing all those quests on whatever character I end up getting to lvl 58 again on.

Dr. John Zoidberg posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#X=20000,40000&sort=a8&page=1&c=208,186,185&r=4096

There's ton of choices but Nvidia kinda has the upper hand right now in cheap price-performance cards. I took a guess at your price range, even with a $200 960 you could most likely run the game on max. I like to stay with EVGA because their support is amazing.

You can also register a EVGA card in their step up program and upgrade in 3 months but you have pay the difference in the cards to get the new one.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

And if you want to read more before you buy, you should read these two posts from your friendly neighborhood hardware forum.

Computer building thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266
GPU thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 10, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

KaneTW posted:

that's the naga, not lamia. they're not synonyms in this game.

snakes for the clarification

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

A21. I definitely think we kind of over did it with the Moogle-related quests, so we will be careful in the future not to have these kind of quests. It seems like there is a high amount of hatred towards the Moogles who keep getting lost..

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you investigate the signs in Fractal Continuum and put it together with the folklore of the Ixal, the origin of the Ixal becomes clear. The floating continent they believe they came from? The one that's too high up for even conventional airships to reach? It's Azys Lla. The Ixal are escaped Allagan bio-engineered servants who's wings have degraded due to genetic instability. The Iksalion mobs in Fractal are proto-Ixal.

Likely the progenitors of the modern Ixal escaped the Azys Lla facility during the fall of the empire

Is the text of those signs online anywhere? I'm at work and can't look myself (and usually can't be hosed to retrace my steps after running it).

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Those of you looking for a guide to Dark Knight, just do the opposite of everything in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRquL0bNZnw

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

nuru posted:

A21. I definitely think we kind of over did it with the Moogle-related quests, so we will be careful in the future not to have these kind of quests. It seems like there is a high amount of hatred towards the Moogles who keep getting lost..

Kill Wadjet, talk to Mogleo, kill wadjet, talk to mogleo, kill wadjet, talk to mogleo, kill wadjet, talk to mogleo, kill wadjet talk to mogleo

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That being said I really appreciate the Moogle you find with a battleaxe who is surrounded by corpses.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

nuru posted:

That being said I really appreciate the Moogle you find with a battleaxe who is surrounded by corpses.

Is that the one that was really tired and needed a kupo nut even though Mogleo and him ended up relocating to get away from mobs?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Aside from materia, I believe you need to have an item spiritbonded to place it into your armory at your inn room. Which becomes more important once you've filled up all the inventory slots on your retainers, even if it is a pain in the rear end.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Suitaru posted:

Is the text of those signs online anywhere? I'm at work and can't look myself (and usually can't be hosed to retrace my steps after running it).

I took screenshots, but didn't get around the post it yet, the part involved:

"Exhibit VII: The Iksalion
A highly intelligent construct employed by Allagan engineers to perform maintenance tasks. Notable flaws include weakness against the elements and certain genetic instabilities."

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Sarrisan posted:

Aside from materia, I believe you need to have an item spiritbonded to place it into your armory at your inn room. Which becomes more important once you've filled up all the inventory slots on your retainers, even if it is a pain in the rear end.

Nope. In fact, putting stuff in the armoire will set its spiritbond to 0.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Sarrisan posted:

Nope, the armoire just wipes all spiritbond progress to save on database space.

The only thing spiritbond does is let you use convert. If you can't convert then it doesn't do anything.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Ryanbomber posted:

Nope, the armoire just wipes all spiritbond progress to save on database space.

The only thing spiritbond does is let you use convert. If you can't convert then it doesn't do anything.

I completely misunderstood that system, then. That's really weird.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

Not quite. An item has to be repaired to 100%+ condition to store it, and its spiritbond will reset to 0% when stored. You also can't store anything you want - only special items such as artifact armor, achievement rewards, seasonal items, etc.

Anyway, spiritbond has no use besides materia conversion.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Is that the one that was really tired and needed a kupo nut even though Mogleo and him ended up relocating to get away from mobs?

No, that's a later Mogleo quest where you need to find the second in command of the Moogleguard. He's the only one that even appears to do anything. Then you end up having to find Mogleo again in a big vertical area and doing other moogleguard's jobs for them again.

kill all moogles

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

About how long does it take for them to post the live letter info, as I missed the broadcast?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Q76. Do you have plans to introduce an afro hairstyle?

A76. We're going to add this in Patch 3.1. We actually had it nearly ready to release, but the number of polygons were too high. We're currently making adjustments to this, so please look forward to it.

Sarrisan posted:

I completely misunderstood that system, then. That's really weird.

The reason why they do that is when you stick something in the Armoire it reduces the amount of data stored on the server from "Item Name, Durability, Spiritbond, Materia, Glamour, Dye" to just "Item Name".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What are the rules for the armoury chest? I've put my 45/50 job gear into it, and the occasional glamour piece seems to go in, but my inventory is getting full of other things that seem like they should work but don't.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What are the rules for the armoury chest? I've put my 45/50 job gear into it, and the occasional glamour piece seems to go in, but my inventory is getting full of other things that seem like they should work but don't.

Do you mean the armoire? It's mostly for certain quest-related blue-background gear and most seasonal/event rewards. As well as some other quest-and-GC-related items like the Patriot's Choker for some reason. There aren't hard and fast rules for it though, since last I checked I still had a few pieces of seasonal reward gear that didn't go in (as of 3.0).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/247054-No-longer-supporting-FFXIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Eimi posted:

About how long does it take for them to post the live letter info, as I missed the broadcast?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3cswmu/formatted_live_letter_q_a/

• Locked thread