Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Country/Provider: USA/ATT

Current contract status: I want to stick with my ATT family plan, and my phone should be due for a replacement.

Budget (phone/plan): $200-300

Features I know I want: long battery life, reliable hardware, droid OS

I'm going to be moving in a few months, and I'd like to have a phone that I can rely on for maps and directions.

Problems I've had with my current phone that I'd like to avoid, but are not deal breakers:
Limited distribution, which makes it difficult to find specifics when looking stuff up online.
Limited internal storage, my current phone can't run apps off of its SD card. I imagine this isn't an issue with more recent phones.
Preinstalled apps that cannot be deleted without rooting, these are junk and take up way too much space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tenik posted:

Country/Provider: USA/ATT

Current contract status: I want to stick with my ATT family plan, and my phone should be due for a replacement.

Budget (phone/plan): $200-300

Features I know I want: long battery life, reliable hardware, droid OS

I'm going to be moving in a few months, and I'd like to have a phone that I can rely on for maps and directions.

Problems I've had with my current phone that I'd like to avoid, but are not deal breakers:
Limited distribution, which makes it difficult to find specifics when looking stuff up online.
Limited internal storage, my current phone can't run apps off of its SD card. I imagine this isn't an issue with more recent phones.
Preinstalled apps that cannot be deleted without rooting, these are junk and take up way too much space.

A couple things to note:

No phone can run apps off of the SD card and pre-installed apps take up no space. Well, they do, but it's space you cannot do anything with even if you were to erase then so they may as well not be taken up any.

I'll let someone else throw you a recommendation since I'm not sure what I'd do with your mix of desires and price range (I'd personally spend more money).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Trying to decide between a LG G4 ($549) and HTC One M9 ($599), both at full price.

Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Features I know I want: Good camera. Timely OS updates. Get through a day of music playing and 3-4 hours internet/video use. I'm clumsy so durability is nice, more of an issue with G4 due to size.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WeaselWeaz posted:

Trying to decide between a LG G4 ($549) and HTC One M9 ($599), both at full price.

Country/Provider: US / Verizon

Features I know I want: Good camera. Timely OS updates. Get through a day of music playing and 3-4 hours internet/video use. I'm clumsy so durability is nice, more of an issue with G4 due to size.

Between those two, I'd go G4 for sure.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Between those two, I'd go G4 for sure.

Agreed, easily. The camera on the G4 will be ridiculously better than the M9, and the size difference isn't as big as the 0.5" screen size difference would make you think. There is also a promo running for the G4 that get you a spare battery, wall charger, and leather back (though they're pretty hideous, hah).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Thanks. I actually tried a G4 in my pocket and it wasn't bad. Doesn't seem worth waiting for the Moto X 2015 because my work is willing to cover part of a new phone's cost right now.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
My HTC one m7 is about to come to the end of its contract. After using a friend's LG G3 I know I want a phablet, and I've nailed it down to the G4 or note 4. Exact same monthly cost/upfront on my network. One thing I will miss is the boomsound speakers, if either phone has notably superior speakers that would swing it for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Popehoist posted:

My HTC one m7 is about to come to the end of its contract. After using a friend's LG G3 I know I want a phablet, and I've nailed it down to the G4 or note 4. Exact same monthly cost/upfront on my network. One thing I will miss is the boomsound speakers, if either phone has notably superior speakers that would swing it for me.

Why not the Nexus 6? It's big and has front facing speakers.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
USA/Verizon, no contract history.

Looking for an Android smartphone under $400 off-contract. Don't mind if it's locked. I'm going to be using it mostly for browsing and navigating, besides calling and texting. Pretty sure I would be okay with the minimum data plan or no data plan at all; I would use it mostly for GPS data, if even that. Don't really care about screen size or the camera, but something that isn't honking huge (>5") would be nice, and a good camera is a plus. I'm pretty flexible with the other hardware specs as well, as long as it has a reliable battery.

e: The Galaxy Core Prime 4G LTE looks really good for ~$170. Am I missing something?

QCIC fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 11, 2015

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

LastInLine posted:

Why not the Nexus 6? It's big and has front facing speakers.

It's very tempting but not available on my carrier and I'm loathe to switch.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

QCIC posted:

USA/Verizon, no contract history.

Looking for an Android smartphone under $400 off-contract. Don't mind if it's locked. I'm going to be using it mostly for browsing and navigating, besides calling and texting. Pretty sure I would be okay with the minimum data plan or no data plan at all; I would use it mostly for GPS data, if even that. Don't really care about screen size or the camera, but something that isn't honking huge (>5") would be nice, and a good camera is a plus. I'm pretty flexible with the other hardware specs as well, as long as it has a reliable battery.

e: The Galaxy Core Prime 4G LTE looks really good for ~$170. Am I missing something?

In what way does it look really good? That's an awful entry level budget phone, and a ridiculous ripoff for $170. You can't use a smartphone without a data plan, so don't try for that. You'll probably end up using it a lot more than you think, so going for a plan that is cheap but not bottom of the barrel (what, like, 200mb, hah) in terms of data probably makes sense.

If you want something smaller, a Moto X 2013 will be around that price; pretty sure the Verizon model, new even, was at $110 on sale on eBay recently. $400 should be enough for an off contract 2014 Moto X as well, I think they've been down to $350 direct from Moto. But really, if your budget is $400, you should probably just get a current flagship (Galaxy S6, iPhone 6, LG G4, Nexus 6) on whatever Verizon's most cost effective payment method is (pay it off monthly or do the standard $200 down on contract). I don't know what Verizon's current plans look like, but someone else should be able to help.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You can't find a 2013 X for 110, at least not new. 215, maybe. And recommending a current generation flagship phablet to someone who asked for nothing above 5" is kind of dumb.

When you say 5", do you mean screen size or height? Height, I would say the 2013 Moto X, you can get a 32gig version for 240 or so. The Sony Z Compacts (1 and 3) are also good, but I don't think they work on CDMA. I could be wrong.

If you mean screen size, and are willing to look at phones roughly 5.5 inches tall, the 2014 Moto X is 350 off Motorola's website and you can get a 50 dollar rebate after owning it for a month.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can't find a 2013 X for 110, at least not new. 215, maybe. And recommending a current generation flagship phablet to someone who asked for nothing above 5" is kind of dumb.

You're right, it was refurbished. I'm not on Verizon, so I didn't pay enough attention to it.

The Z3 Compact is not available on Verizon and I recommended the only not awful small phone, the 2013 Moto X. I'm not going to recommend some awful 800x480 budget Samsung because it is 4.5", and unfortunately there aren't any options but to accept a phone with a 5 to 5.5" display if you want something that isn't a total piece of poo poo [on Verizon]. Moto X 2013 or iPhone 5s are it for small phones, if you're on Verizon. There's no LTE model of the Moto G for Verizon (I think?), and the Moto E would be infinitely better than that Samsung junk, but not something I'd recommend to someone saying they have a $400 budget.

As for whether they meant screen size or height, everybody in the world except you means screen size, so you don't need to ask that :) It's misleading, because phone size ≠ screen size, of course, but that's how people talk about phone sizes. Something like the diagonal of the full phone, not just the display, would make more sense when asking for a certain size phone rather than display, but no one does that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I'm not on Verizon either. From what I read, the 3 compact wasn't, but I couldn't find anything from this year, and I wasn't sure if it was a no CDMA thing or a Verizon thing. I also wasn't sure if the 1c was on Verizon.

Yeah, for phones under 5" screens, it's pretty much 2013 X or iPhone 5. And while I never looked at iPhone, I'm going to bet you can get a lot more X for your money.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have an old iPhone 4 that's still on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan. Will it be possible to get an iPhone 6S at the contracted price and hold on to that, or will I have to buy an unlocked one and move the SIMM stuff if I want to keep AT&T stuck with my unfettered habit of watching videos in bed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why don't you watch videos on wifi?

But to answer your question: last I heard they are still offering 2 year contracts for unlimited users. Best to go ask the AT&T thread, though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wulfolme posted:

I have an old iPhone 4 that's still on a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan. Will it be possible to get an iPhone 6S at the contracted price and hold on to that, or will I have to buy an unlocked one and move the SIMM stuff if I want to keep AT&T stuck with my unfettered habit of watching videos in bed?

You can get a phone on a two year contract, but you can only do it at an ATT company owned store.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Why don't you watch videos on wifi?

But to answer your question: last I heard they are still offering 2 year contracts for unlimited users. Best to go ask the AT&T thread, though.

I do now, but until somewhat recently 3G was faster than my DSL hookup.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have a Moto G and am very happy with it. At least, I was, because lately it freezes alot and feels a whole lot slower then when I first got it. I don't know why this is, but I suspect that Lollipop has something to do with it.
Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a new phone. The problem is, I don't like all these huge phones. Nothing bigger than my Moto G. Only one I've found so far is the Xperia Z3 compact. Any other suggestions?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

beedeebee posted:

I have a Moto G and am very happy with it. At least, I was, because lately it freezes alot and feels a whole lot slower then when I first got it. I don't know why this is, but I suspect that Lollipop has something to do with it.
Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a new phone. The problem is, I don't like all these huge phones. Nothing bigger than my Moto G. Only one I've found so far is the Xperia Z3 compact. Any other suggestions?
When I could still turn my Moto G on, I had the same thing, lolipop doesn't seem to be that stable with Moto G yet, maybe some updates down the road things will get better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

beedeebee posted:

Moto X 2013 is another option. Those are about it.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Heading to Europe and you guys are the biggest experts on phones that I knew of so I figured I'd ask in here for help finding a provider for a nano SIM card. Hopefully this is the right place!

Country/Provider: US currently but I'm going to Belgium for a year

Current contract status: HTC One M9 on Sprint

Budget (phone/plan): I'm a middle class young adult and my parents are covering it so probably best for the value

Features I know I want: Calling/Texting/Data in Belgium, if it's possible to get all of those while travelling around Europe as well that'd be cool. (My girlfriend will be in France so that is the most important country but I figure I'll make it to some other countries as well.)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'd be curious what others turn up, I don't know much about CDMA international roaming...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'd be curious what others turn up, I don't know much about CDMA international roaming...
That phone should work on GSM, as well, with a SIM. It might need to be unlocked, but I'm pretty sure Sprint will do that.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

What is the general opinion on Swappa for buying a phone? I tend to be rough on phones, especially headphone jacks, so I pretty consistently get a year to 18 months out of one, so it seems worth saving the money to buy used.

Returned the G4 because it was too wide to comfortably use with one hand, 5.2" is the biggest I can handle and I need MicroSD or 64gb+. Looking at HTC One M9, Galaxy S6 128gb (crazy expensive), or maybe the Moto X 2015 when it comes out. I only want to spend up to $499 so I'm hoping for sales or a good used market. On Verizon, so most device deals on EBay don't help since they're GSM devices.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
When are the next big releases dropping? Like the Nexus 5 2015 and such.
I was thinking of getting a replacement phone for my bricked motoG while waiting for the next big thing, so I was considering getting the Alcatel Idol 3 4.7'' version for around 120 euros. Any other good budget phones out there right now?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

When are the next big releases dropping? Like the Nexus 5 2015 and such.
I was thinking of getting a replacement phone for my bricked motoG while waiting for the next big thing, so I was considering getting the Alcatel Idol 3 4.7'' version for around 120 euros. Any other good budget phones out there right now?

Next Moto and Note should be out in a couple of months, followed by the new Nexus in early November most likely.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

That phone should work on GSM, as well, with a SIM. It might need to be unlocked, but I'm pretty sure Sprint will do that.

I got in contact with Sprint and they unlocked it for me.

I was considering Mobile Vikings as a courier as I've heard good things https://mobilevikings.be/

Always up for more information on the topic.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm currently on Sprint Sero $50 plan and using an htc 4g so it's time to upgrade. Looks like both the s6 and g4 are at the same price. Does the free addons (case,extra battery,charger) make the g4 the better buy or is the s6 still a better value or should I save $100 and go with the m9? Whatever I choose I'll be using for many years in the future as I'm obviously not one to buy new phones.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Blowdryer posted:

I got in contact with Sprint and they unlocked it for me.

I was considering Mobile Vikings as a courier as I've heard good things https://mobilevikings.be/

Always up for more information on the topic.

I'm from Belgium and I use Mobile Vikings. I'm really happy with it, it's cheap and you get a lot of data and texts. And you get 60 minutes each day to call other Mobile Vikings users.
However, I recently went on a trip in Europe and using data in other countries burns your money fast. Roaming costs are high. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's the case with all mobile providers. The EU is working on a law limiting or abolishing those extra costs, but that'll probably take a while.
But Mobile Vikings is prepaid, so you're not in for any nasty surprises if you accidentally forget to turn of your mobile data. And another thing I've noticed, they are selling special "roaming packages" on their site. €2 for 50MB or €20 for 700MB to use abroad. Not super cheap, but defintely cheaper than just using your data abroad.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The unlocked fire phone's back down to $180 (effectively $80 with included prime membership) for today. Ordered it as a holdover until the next gen Moto x/Z3 compact come out. Looks like an outstanding deal; 1/5 the price of comparable phones.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

I'm from Belgium and I use Mobile Vikings. I'm really happy with it, it's cheap and you get a lot of data and texts. And you get 60 minutes each day to call other Mobile Vikings users.
However, I recently went on a trip in Europe and using data in other countries burns your money fast. Roaming costs are high. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's the case with all mobile providers. The EU is working on a law limiting or abolishing those extra costs, but that'll probably take a while.
But Mobile Vikings is prepaid, so you're not in for any nasty surprises if you accidentally forget to turn of your mobile data. And another thing I've noticed, they are selling special "roaming packages" on their site. €2 for 50MB or €20 for 700MB to use abroad. Not super cheap, but defintely cheaper than just using your data abroad.

For comparison: roaming rates from a U.S. Provider in Europe start at $30 for 120MB of data. Just saying that €20 for 700MB is not bad!

Dominoes posted:

The unlocked fire phone's back down to $180 (effectively $80 with included prime membership) for today. Ordered it as a holdover until the next gen Moto x/Z3 compact come out. Looks like an outstanding deal; 1/5 the price of comparable phones.

Unless the phone is literally free, or you use it for only call and text, it will always be a bad buy.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

For comparison: roaming rates from a U.S. Provider in Europe start at $30 for 120MB of data. Just saying that €20 for 700MB is not bad!

Unless the phone is literally free, or you use it for only call and text, it will always be a bad buy.
For academic purposes, why? I haven't heard a legit reason; most of what I've read is from 'gadget' articles looking for clicks, or software problems that have been fixed. It's a high-spec/quality phone at a (for today) price point shared by much lower-quality ones.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 15, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dominoes posted:

For academic purposes, why? I haven't heard a legit reason; most of what I've read is from 'gadget' articles looking for clicks, or software problems that have been fixed. It's a high-spec/quality phone at a (for today) price point shared by much lower-quality ones.

They never fixed the software being awful, entirely focused on selling you things and gimmicks, and needing hacky workarounds to get Google services and apps. Seriously, the selling points for the Fire Phone are things like 3d perspective, firefly, and the retarded peeking to the side to get to menu/options.

So imagine a Samsung phone, but it somehow had gimmicky features that were even less useful, only Samsung services (Samsung browser, email, calendar, Milk music lol) rather than Google, and a vastly inferior Samsung app store. Oh and the hardware is worse than a Samsung.

Edit: But if your response is "yeah but the specs are good and I'll just load a 5 day old Cyanogenmod beta" then you're the type of person that will be fine with it probably :) Just keep in mind that having to do that to your phone is a "legit reason" it is bad for most people.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 15, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The fire phone really isn't bad from the brief time I fiddled around with one honestly. Great camera, decent battery life and it takes roughly 2 minutes to get Google and services on and working. YMMV of course, depending on how easy you find sideloading an app.

Edit: the hold up for me was that it was almost too small for my disgusting giant meaty flipper hands

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

They never fixed the software being awful, entirely focused on selling you things and gimmicks, and needing hacky workarounds to get Google services and apps. Seriously, the selling points for the Fire Phone are things like 3d perspective, firefly, and the retarded peeking to the side to get to menu/options.

So imagine a Samsung phone, but it somehow had gimmicky features that were even less useful, only Samsung services (Samsung browser, email, calendar, Milk music lol) rather than Google, and a vastly inferior Samsung app store. Oh and the hardware is worse than a Samsung.

Edit: But if your response is "yeah but the specs are good and I'll just load a 5 day old Cyanogenmod beta" then you're the type of person that will be fine with it probably :) Just keep in mind that having to do that to your phone is a "legit reason" it is bad for most people.
Thanks. I suppose those weaknesses are unlikely to bother me.

Captain Yossarian posted:

the hold up for me was that it was almost too small for my disgusting giant meaty flipper hands
I plan to replace it (relegate it to music player or guitar-tuner status) when the next gen of small phone comes out because it's too big. It looks to be the size of the Nexus 5 I lost. The huge screen on that was nice for using, but a drag for carrying. I mostly use phones for calling, texting, audio books, and audio driving directions, which don't get much benefit from a big screen and touch area.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 15, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Haha fair enough, you might be waiting a while though. I don't know of any phones with a smaller screen coming out in the future? :)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Some phones are born mediocre, some phones achieve mediocrity, and some phones have mediocrity thrust upon them.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Country/Provider: USA\Verizon

Current contract status: Verizon Prepaid 2.5gb of data

Budget (phone/plan): 200-$300

Decent camera and batter life. Phone isn't for me, but I was thinking Moto X gen 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Provider: Verizon also, USA

Wife has had an android and that's been cool so far, no real preferences I guess?

I will mostly be using the smartphone for all the usual smartphone stuff, no extra concern on cameras or whatever; web browsing, sometimes videos/music. Main issue is I don't want anything so huge it wont fit into pockets, batteries are cool too.

I've had the same old slide phone for 10 years and so far it looks like grandfathering into the same plan that already has data attached will be cheaper than just restarting with another company, so not sure price will be a factor since I believe I'll be getting the discounted phone since we'll be keeping the same plan up.