Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Possibly TPS out of adjustment? Applying throttle while starting an efi bike usually has a worse effect. It's probably just a loose connection somewhere or faulty battery, but get a multimeter for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yesssss reset the TPS.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Is this how I reset the TPS?

quote:

You can try resetting the TPS.

Turn on the ignition
slowly and steadily open the throttle all the way open
then slowly and steadily close the throttle
turn off the ignition

then check it again?

I'll get the multimeter and stuff anyway, but if that's all I need to do then that's super simple.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm planning to do another deals gap trip, this time on the bike the whole way. What's the best way to tie down my camping stuff on the back seat? I'd like to avoid buying dedicated luggage/racks ($$$$$$$). Would a bungee net or two suffice?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I wouldn't use bungee nets or cords for that.

http://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10050-Black-Reflective/dp/B00JAKIEAY

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ratchet Strap everything. Even comes in Camo so you'll fit in with the locals.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-16-ft-x-1-1-4-in-Ratchet-Tie-Downs-4-Pack-480606-12/202340309

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

I'm planning to do another deals gap trip, this time on the bike the whole way. What's the best way to tie down my camping stuff on the back seat? I'd like to avoid buying dedicated luggage/racks ($$$$$$$). Would a bungee net or two suffice?

You can fit a lot under a bungee net.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Indeed, it looks like you managed to fit a whole bike under one!

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

This looks like you could use some new compression sacks, so much wasted space if those squish down that much under a bungee, you could probably halve the size of that pile.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Bungee nets are fantastic, I love them. But there's no substitute for serious luggage. All my bikes have bigass hard bags of some kind.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Half of that (clothing layers, rain gear) should be in a top box. That's more of an ad-hoc, "I keep having to get these out of the box so I'll just net them down," but you're right. Nets are versatile and cheap though. Don't need to get much more fancy, but you could.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Bungee nets are fantastic, I love them. But there's no substitute for serious luggage. All my bikes have bigass hard bags of some kind.

I can't seem to get away from both in tandem. But I haven't had a top box until this year.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M42 posted:

I guess it depends on how little money you're talking about here, but you could do something like the mosko moto scout for all your clothes/loose items/whatever you don't want wet and then strap it onto the back with your tent on the outside with rok straps. It's a bit more than a bungie net obviously but I wouldn't want to go on a long trip without some kind of water proof bag, and 30L will fit quite a bit of stuff.

If you just want to lash things down get a bungie net and some rok straps, rok straps are amazing.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I changed my chain two days ago and noticed that my front sprocket looked a little worn.

I didn't want to ruin my new chain fast so I replaced it. The rear sprocket got even teeth still.

My question is, did I need to replace the front sprocket? How worn is a 'worn' sprocket when tossing a new chain on? ( it had multiple stiff links + clip masterlink).

That sprocket is after 15k km ~ 9300 miles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

I changed my chain two days ago and noticed that my front sprocket looked a little worn.

I didn't want to ruin my new chain fast so I replaced it. The rear sprocket got even teeth still.

My question is, did I need to replace the front sprocket? How worn is a 'worn' sprocket when tossing a new chain on? ( it had multiple stiff links + clip masterlink).

That sprocket is after 15k km ~ 9300 miles.

Probably not worn enough to say "REPLACE ME NOW" but at the same time it probably would have got to that state over the lifetime of the new chain, so replacing it while you were doing the chain wasn't a bad idea. It's a little surprising the rear isn't more worn though, hosed chains will normally impact the rear more than the front sprocket unless the chain spends a long time over-tight.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you don't want to spring for hard luggage, compression bags + bungee net + lots of luggage straps gets you most of the way there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Trauma Tank posted:

Just messed around with the SMC again, it definitely doesn't like starting up cold on just the starter. I applied a bit of throttle before pressing the button and it seemed to start up fine. I hadn't tried this before as applying throttle while already holding the starter has just made it respond worse in the past, which is different to how the SV I'm used to responded.

I'm still gonna check stuff out, but hopefully I have a more reliable method now.

Does it happen when you've not long turned off the bike (say an hour or two), but not when the bike has been sitting for a longer period, say 24 hrs?

If so, you may have a leaking injector like I did ('08 690 SMC).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

soo my honda has this habit of stalling at stop lights, then taking forever to get started again. The idle just droops lower and lower and then it dies. goosing the throttle makes it die faster. it's really loving annoying does anyone have an idea what might be up?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What bike?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Opening the throttle causes the throttle plate to open which means more air, but since your fuel pressure/volume is dropping, it kills the engine.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

1989 CB-1. it's a four cylinder. It usually happens soon after I get on the road.

revmoo posted:

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Opening the throttle causes the throttle plate to open which means more air, but since your fuel pressure/volume is dropping, it kills the engine.

This makes sense but I have no idea what to do with this information. Do I need a new fuel pump?

Edit: I should add that off the line the bike hesitates for a bit, at like 25% throttle. Like it dips down for a few seconds then 'wakes up' and goes

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 10, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

revmoo posted:

Yep, this. Check the fuel level, filter, lines. Carb cleaner might help too, in case the jets can't spit enough fuel in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Edit: I should add that off the line the bike hesitates for a bit, at like 25% throttle. Like it dips down for a few seconds then 'wakes up' and goes
Definitely a carb issue. Your pilot/idle jet is probably clogged, so the engine doesn't get enough fuel at low throttle openings. When you open the throttle further fuel flows through the main jet instead.

You can try using some seafoam and see if it helps, otherwise you'll have to take apart the carb and clean the jets.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 10, 2015

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

Does it happen when you've not long turned off the bike (say an hour or two), but not when the bike has been sitting for a longer period, say 24 hrs?

If so, you may have a leaking injector like I did ('08 690 SMC).

The bike starts up fine after being ridden, so far this is a problem entirely limited to starting it before the first time it's ridden for the day.

So, confusing developments. I couldn't get it started at all this morning, and was trying until the battery sounded almost flat, like half a second between turnovers. Then when I came home just now and tried to start it it started first time. I then tried to start it again after a minute or so running and it was back to the old thing of sounding like the battery was flat. On the whole, very confusing.

I've put it on the trickle charger and will try and start it in the morning and see if that makes the difference. Am I right in thinking that if it starts in the morning then this is some weird thing with the battery not retaining charge overnight and not wanting to start when it's cold? The fact that it started this afternoon despite me almost running it flat trying to start it this morning is definitely muddling this, but I know bad batteries cause stuff to behave in all kinds of weird ways.

EDIT: I just remembered, while I was trying to start it up this morning I remember putting it in first and trying to start it and even with the clutch pulled all the way in it was still lurching slightly with each chug. Is that normal? :ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

1989 CB-1. it's a four cylinder. It usually happens soon after I get on the road.

This makes sense but I have no idea what to do with this information. Do I need a new fuel pump?

Not if it improves as the engine warms. Also isn't that a carbed bike?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trauma Tank posted:

EDIT: I just remembered, while I was trying to start it up this morning I remember putting it in first and trying to start it and even with the clutch pulled all the way in it was still lurching slightly with each chug. Is that normal? :ohdear:

Yes, absolutely. There's stiction between the clutch plates, particularly when the engine is cold (it's why the bike lurches when you put it in first when it's running).

Wait... you're not having this issue while trying to start the bike in gear, are you?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes, absolutely. There's stiction between the clutch plates, particularly when the engine is cold (it's why the bike lurches when you put it in first when it's running).

Wait... you're not having this issue while trying to start the bike in gear, are you?

No, it's been in neutral every other time. Putting it in first was just something I tried this morning when I was exasperated by it not starting.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not if it improves as the engine warms. Also isn't that a carbed bike?

Yes it's carbed. No I have no idea what I'm doing. I just went and futzed with it and it dies as soon as the engine warms up. Really hard to get it started again after that. gently caress. I think I'm stuck at work wtffff

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 10, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes it's carbed. No I have no idea what I'm doing. I just went and futzed with it and it dies as soon as the engine warms up. Really hard to get it started again after that. gently caress. I think I'm stuck at work wtffff

Carbs are voodoo wizardry to me, there may as well be bad juju in your float bowl for all I know.

(My point was that (most) carbed bikes don't have a fuel pump, they're fed by gravity from the tank, so that was pretty unlikely to be the problem)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
A lot of pet stores will sell you leeches; that's how I fixed my carbs, but it probably varies by manufacturer and year. You can try burning a little sage to the east of your bike, or burying the needle jets on a full moon.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Did some googling, is it possible I have a clogged "gas tank breather"? If so what is that, like, where is that on the bike and what does it look like. I have some canned air lol

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

If that's the gas tank vent, no, symptoms don't fit. Being cold or warm wouldn't affect it, it would start and idle fine, and run fine until you hit sustained high speeds/revs, like on a highway. It gets starved of fuel due to no air entering the tank, think holding your finger over the top of a straw and the liquid stays in the straw.

It would start stumbling and eventually quit, and be difficult to restart until the system equalizes itself, opening the gas tank will do it, leaving it open will get you home if you can't keep the revs low enough. Mine got me home as long as I kept it under 5k. You can rule it out as an issue by opening the gas tank cap and leaving it open next time it won't start or run.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 10, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

A lot of pet stores will sell you leeches; that's how I fixed my carbs, but it probably varies by manufacturer and year. You can try burning a little sage to the east of your bike, or burying the needle jets on a full moon.

:lol:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

well the bike doesn't start so great. Takes a LOT of starter button. I'm worried about draining the battery actually. It doesn't seem to care what position my choke is on, until it does, and then it has to be in the middle. gently caress I shoulda just bought a ninja 300

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
On your CB-1, sounds like clogged carbs. Seafoam, fresh gas, and lots of high throttle usage to get the gas flowing and hopefully it'll clean up. Carbs aren't that bad as long as someone hasn't hosed with them excessively, after all, they worked when the bike was OEM without any issues.

Trauma Tank posted:

The bike starts up fine after being ridden, so far this is a problem entirely limited to starting it before the first time it's ridden for the day.

So, confusing developments. I couldn't get it started at all this morning, and was trying until the battery sounded almost flat, like half a second between turnovers. Then when I came home just now and tried to start it it started first time. I then tried to start it again after a minute or so running and it was back to the old thing of sounding like the battery was flat. On the whole, very confusing.

I've put it on the trickle charger and will try and start it in the morning and see if that makes the difference. Am I right in thinking that if it starts in the morning then this is some weird thing with the battery not retaining charge overnight and not wanting to start when it's cold? The fact that it started this afternoon despite me almost running it flat trying to start it this morning is definitely muddling this, but I know bad batteries cause stuff to behave in all kinds of weird ways.

You really need to buy a multimeter and check cranking voltage. Had a battery that read fine but dropped to 4v when cranking, due to some sort of internal short. Caused all kinds of headache.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

well the bike doesn't start so great. Takes a LOT of starter button. I'm worried about draining the battery actually. It doesn't seem to care what position my choke is on, until it does, and then it has to be in the middle. gently caress I shoulda just bought a ninja 300

Don't run the starter for more than 5 seconds at a time, and leave at least 5 seconds in between cranks or you'll burn it up.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oh I don't, i use short bursts. it just takes a lot of them

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

All right cool, just making sure.

Can't really help with the voodoo that is carbs though. I'd try the sage.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Z3n posted:

You really need to buy a multimeter and check cranking voltage. Had a battery that read fine but dropped to 4v when cranking, due to some sort of internal short. Caused all kinds of headache.

I'm pretty sure they tried to deliver it today while I was at work. I'll be picking it up from the post office tomorrow so I can actually look into this stuff. From your post I guess I'm meant to be looking at the voltage coming off the battery when I'm actually holding the starter button?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah starting problems are fairly straightforward to troubleshoot so long as you have the right tools. An engine needs 3 things to start: Fuel, air and spark. One of those three isn't present or isn't consistently present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So I went to add some air to my tyres in advance of taking a longish trip, and the gauge on the pump read zero when I put the nozzle on, though they didn't appear to be flat :crossarms:

I had these tyres put on about, I think 300 miles ago? And didn't think to check the pressure when I got home, assuming the shop would have set them correctly. It feels like it retains energy when coasting loads better now, but that may just be placebo; as I said they didn't look flat.

Given that it's a really light bike on brand new tyres, would they be stiff enough to retain their shape with no air in? Just how much of a dumbass have I been here, is what I guess I'm asking.