Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This needs to be in the OP, at Hollywoodland scale, on fire.
Verizon authorized resellers around here don't even have real phones. Not sure if that's a common thing but it's hilarious seeing an ad placard talking about the phone's 'beautiful, 5.0" screen' next to a plastic block with a cardboard insert glued on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

cisco privilege posted:

Verizon authorized resellers around here don't even have real phones. Not sure if that's a common thing but it's hilarious seeing an ad placard talking about the phone's 'beautiful, 5.0" screen' next to a plastic block with a cardboard insert glued on.

The Verizon Store: Now a part of the Men's Wearhouse.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I finally got my new LG g2. Annd it's open box, if not used. How would I tell if it is used? At this point I'll deal with open box, I just need a new phone. I'm still leaving a shifty Amazon review, though. And is there a way to calibrate the screen? It keeps hitting period instead of space.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Want that feature right now

Well good news, it's available right now on the only phones that matter!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

XIII posted:

Want that feature right now

So install android M

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

On the other hand Vevo's constant HEY HEYYYY whack a mole pop-up banners are obnoxious, and some of those ads have a habit of breaking YouTube's immersion mode so the status and navigation bars are permanently visible on top of the video, until you kill the app

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Physical keyboards were great cause of those gamepad overlays you could put on them for emulators :q:

Touchscreen game controls are stupid.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When I first got this LG, it wasn't correcting words automatically. Which I like, I'd rather have it pop up as a suggestion to be ignored, rather than auto-correcting. But now, the first time I use it after transferring my number over on the new SIM, it is automatically correcting. How do I change that in the LG keyboard? Or do I have to go to an app keyboard?

Also, it decided to import all of my email contacts, including everyone I ever sent a single email to. How do I thin that down?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 10, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If you're stupid enough to run beta-ish software on your phone, I guess.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Prescription Combs posted:

Physical keyboards were great cause of those gamepad overlays you could put on them for emulators :q:

Touchscreen game controls are stupid.

You can do that on touchscreens as well

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Or do I have to go to an app keyboard?

Google has a keyboard.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unless it's Google Voice Typing, it's not loaded by default on this thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unless it's Google Voice Typing, it's not loaded by default on this thing.

Just go to the play store and grab it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

There's other keyboards that have had a lot of chatter in the last couple of pages as well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If the smaller phone has project-fi support, it's a 100% lock for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

So install android M

I'm on a Turbo, so I expect to see M around 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Just go to the play store and grab it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

There's other keyboards that have had a lot of chatter in the last couple of pages as well.

Yeah, I guess so much for me treating a phone like an appliance :sigh:. Down the rabbit hole with another thing to sperg about, I'm going to be customizing every single thing about the phone before long.

Are the wrinkles ironed out with the G2 on Lollipop? I've got the option to update it, but the most recent article I can find is from April, about there being problems with 5.0.2. onthe G2s and G3s.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the wrinkles ironed out with the G2 on Lollipop? I've got the option to update it, but the most recent article I can find is from April, about there being problems with 5.0.2. onthe G2s and G3s.

No, but I'd still say there are less wrinkles than there were on 4.4

LG is just bad at software - not much you can do about it without resorting to drastic measures

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...inside-the-bar/

In Android M, you'll be able to remove everything in the status bar except for the battery icon.

The quick settings tile tuner works in the latest build too without crashing like it did before

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The problem for Blackberry was that they always had a vast spectrum of phones, and when they were on top premium phones were a niche themselves. The Bold 9000/9800 had a godly keyboard, but for the 9000's life the company's sales maker was the lower-range Pearl. During the 9800, they were chasing the white whale of touchscreen phones with crap like the Storm and Torch.

A Blackberry of today basically needs to make a taller 9x000 running Android with top specs and ample battery, AND NO OTHER GODDAMN MODELS that only distract the company and dilute it's limited talent pool. It can be a little thicker than the norm to accommodate that, since there is less pressure to be sexy than Samsung Curves etc.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

It's also available for the xperia phones that got lollipop, you can even remove the battery icon too! But not the network icons.

Too bad sony apparently feels the need to poo poo up the app switcher with their mini apps, otherwise this would be quite decent.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Apparently us Zenfone 2 owners will be getting M soon. I've been very impressed with the constant updates from Asus, I wasn't hopeful for much. Phone still rocks too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

If you're stupid enough to run beta-ish software on your phone, I guess.

I wouldn't do it but he needed the option now. :shrug:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi guys,

My post got lost in all the discussion so asking again from you smart people :)

My HTC one m8's vibration has packed it in. Im going to do a backup, move photos to the SD card and restore factory settings to see if that fixes it. Probably won't, but i would need to do that anyway before sending off to HTC to fix.

Whats the easiest way for me to backup and restore app data? I will be goddamned if im going to lose my peggle savegame.

Thanks!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Don Lapre posted:

You can do that on touchscreens as well

It's terrible though. You need that physical button feedback. I'm always missing them if I use on screen controls.

I think "video games" is like the only argument for physical keyboards, but you can always pair a Bluetooth controller or get a USB one these days.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 10, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
With the YouTube music key thing, is there an easier way to back out of a video and have it not play in the background than hitting back, then pulling open the notification tray and stopping the playback?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

henpod posted:

Hi guys,

My post got lost in all the discussion so asking again from you smart people :)

My HTC one m8's vibration has packed it in. Im going to do a backup, move photos to the SD card and restore factory settings to see if that fixes it. Probably won't, but i would need to do that anyway before sending off to HTC to fix.

Whats the easiest way for me to backup and restore app data? I will be goddamned if im going to lose my peggle savegame.

Thanks!

If you're not rooted, Helium is not only the easiest way, it's the only way. If you are rooted, Titanium is the way to go.

I have a question meant to ask you: How is Peggle still working for you? It broke for me under Ice Cream Sandwich and never ran again after 2012. As far as I knew it was long since abandoned by EA.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

hooah posted:

With the YouTube music key thing, is there an easier way to back out of a video and have it not play in the background than hitting back, then pulling open the notification tray and stopping the playback?

Hit pause before you leave the Youtube video, or just turn the feature off if you don't want it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

If you're not rooted, Helium is not only the easiest way, it's the only way. If you are rooted, Titanium is the way to go.

I have a question meant to ask you: How is Peggle still working for you? It broke for me under Ice Cream Sandwich and never ran again after 2012. As far as I knew it was long since abandoned by EA.

Hmm, I tried Helium but it just kind of got stuck whilst it was backing up. Tried it a few times. Might uninstall and give it another shot I guess. For save games, maybe I can just copy and paste the game folders back in after the reset?

I'm running the latest software released on the HTC One and Peggle is working totally fine. I'm pretty happy that i've brute forced my way throughout the entire game without paying a penny :getin:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I guess so much for me treating a phone like an appliance :sigh:. Down the rabbit hole with another thing to sperg about, I'm going to be customizing every single thing about the phone before long.

There are still some software issues on the G2 on Lollipop, but it is so so so much better than it was on KitKat. Definitely update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

henpod posted:

Hmm, I tried Helium but it just kind of got stuck whilst it was backing up. Tried it a few times. Might uninstall and give it another shot I guess. For save games, maybe I can just copy and paste the game folders back in after the reset?

I'm running the latest software released on the HTC One and Peggle is working totally fine. I'm pretty happy that i've brute forced my way throughout the entire game without paying a penny :getin:

Wait, is this Peggle Blast? I was talking about the original Peggle which had no IAPs.

Anyway, I've never used Helium, I just know that's your only real option. It's actually just a GUI over the ADB backup feature and developers can choose not to allow that to work on their stuff (no idea if that's the issue though). I'll admit I have no idea how to test if copying the folder will work without copying the folder to another device and seeing if your saved game comes up, sorry.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Wait, is this Peggle Blast? I was talking about the original Peggle which had no IAPs.

Anyway, I've never used Helium, I just know that's your only real option. It's actually just a GUI over the ADB backup feature and developers can choose not to allow that to work on their stuff (no idea if that's the issue though). I'll admit I have no idea how to test if copying the folder will work without copying the folder to another device and seeing if your saved game comes up, sorry.

That's cool, I will try copy stuff over and if that doesn't work and then whatever Helium manages to do. It is surprising that the backup doesn't take app data into account. Probably some technical reason that I don' tknow.

And yeah, its Peggle blast. Its actually do-able without the IAP. If you run out of lives, just fast forward your phone calendar a day ahead and take it back and you have a new set of lives. Works for any app really that needs you to wait. Takes like 5 seconds haha.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

henpod posted:

Helium never worked well for me. It doesn't work on every app, and for me, even when it "worked," it required some annoying workarounds. I had to backup with Helium, but then restoring those backups didn't actually work. I had to redownload manually every app I wanted to restore, backup the (blank, empty) redownloaded app, copy the real Helium backup data into the blank/empty Helium backup data, and then it would restore. I know it works better for some, but if it's being fiddly for you, you might not be in that lucky group.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a reason my Zenfone 2 isn't doing a lot of actions I thought Google Now was supposed to do? I was going through this list and many of these commands just caused it to do a Google web search. Most glaringly, it won't do "find x's phone number", "where's my package", or "what's my schedule tomorrow?" It also doesn't do anything under the "hidden stuff" section. I thought it might be a regional thing, as I live in the Philippines, but it explicitly tells me when that's the case (for example, if I ask it to identify a song, it'll display a message telling me it isn't supported here).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for recommending I just get a new keyboard. I found out the S4 had SwiftKey, and I always liked the keyboard on that, so that's what I am running now.

I know someone recommended screen protectors a while back, but I have no idea what page that was on. What should I be looking at? My Sensation never got scratched, but my S4 was all hosed up after eight months, so I don't want to risk it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

http://phandroid.com/2015/07/10/galaxy-s6-note-apps-edge/

Samsung finally going to release an API for the Edge screens and we'll get some decent apps eventually 3rd party.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks for recommending I just get a new keyboard. I found out the S4 had SwiftKey, and I always liked the keyboard on that, so that's what I am running now.

I know someone recommended screen protectors a while back, but I have no idea what page that was on. What should I be looking at? My Sensation never got scratched, but my S4 was all hosed up after eight months, so I don't want to risk it.

Just find the highest reviewed, cheaper tempered glass screen protector you can find on amazon

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

CancerStick posted:

Just find the highest reviewed, cheaper tempered glass screen protector you can find on amazon

I like the Nilkin H+ line because it has rounded edges, something a lot of the ones you'll find won't have. It's still only like $10 or so.

edit - not about for the G2 though..

dphi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 10, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just started playing music, and randomly it drops the volume for maybe 10 seconds to maybe half. Is this a known software issue? I really want to not have to return this thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started playing music, and randomly it drops the volume for maybe 10 seconds to maybe half. Is this a known software issue? I really want to not have to return this thing.

What music player are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Both Prime music and YouTube.