Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

guidoanselmi posted:

I just made a bad decision and bought the franchise. With which game do I begin my descent into spregdom?

Airland or Red Dragon probably. Both have advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Do the tutorials in ALB, play a campaign for as long as you want and then jump over to multiplayer RD.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Do you guys still play ALB or is it all RD. I got both but was kinda ehh on making decks in RD. The naval category confused me some.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

Do you guys still play ALB or is it all RD. I got both but was kinda ehh on making decks in RD. The naval category confused me some.

Everyone plays RD now. Don't bother filling the Naval section of your decks as nobody except for retarded pubbies play naval maps.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

Everyone plays RD now. Don't bother filling the Naval section of your decks as nobody except for retarded pubbies play naval maps.

Cool, when do yall normally play?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Sorry to Mukip/Dave/whoever else was on but I'm terrible and dropping was literally my greatest possible contribution to that game.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Vorenus posted:

Sorry to Mukip/Dave/whoever else was on but I'm terrible and dropping was literally my greatest possible contribution to that game.
Aww, don't worry about it! It's always great to have new players. I was trying to teach a friend how to play this week, and it made me recall how long it took me to get good at Wargame.(*) Wargame is complex and poorly documented, but it's fun even when you're losing, so don't worry about ruining things for your team or whatever. Most people would rather lose a close game than win a blowout.

Anyway, the new mini-patch has helped to clear up some the lag and disconnect issues resulting from the DDOS attack. So hopefully you'll drop less in future!

(*: I am still not good at Wargame.)

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Vorenus posted:

It seemed like several opposing players were bent on bombing you at every opportunity, but we were rolling them the entire time and you get recon inf into one of their +2 sectors so things were going fine.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Well I really need to get vaguely competent again. On another note is this deck a bad idea?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

Well I really need to get vaguely competent again. On another note is this deck a bad idea?

Well, for an airborne deck it isn't too bad. I recommend getting some good ATGM plane though. Otherwise you'll have an hard time against well-micro'd heavy tanks. Do you really need 7 fighters?

You can also drop a card of Fernspaher for some shock recon to bolster the number of your elite infantry, since right now all you've got is fallschirmjagers '90.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 21, 2015

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

Well, for an airborne deck it isn't too bad. I recommend getting some good ATGM plane though. Otherwise you'll have an hard time against well-micro'd heavy tanks. Do you really need 7 fighters?

You can also drop a card of Fernspaher for some shock recon to bolster the number of your elite infantry, since right now all you've got is fallschirmjagers '90.

I couldn't find good ATGM planes in a euro corps deck. They got good SEAD, napalm and iron bombs also air to air. I do not need 7 fighters at all but that deck discount tho.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

I couldn't find good ATGM planes in a euro corps deck. They got good SEAD, napalm and iron bombs also air to air. I do not need 7 fighters at all but that deck discount tho.

Have you considered Super Extendard or F-4F Peace Rhine? Ok, that's all the ATGM plane Eurocorp get, but both are pretty decent I think.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

Have you considered Super Extendard or F-4F Peace Rhine? Ok, that's all the ATGM plane Eurocorp get, but both are pretty decent I think.

I forgot whether or not the super retard was still a thing and i musta missed the F-4F Peace Rhine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

Airborne decks have no ability to attack in the midgame. Not worth it really.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Viva Miriya posted:

Make an "airborne" deck that is un-specialized, put some stuff in it for a good rush and then fill it out with good tanks and stuff too. It's an airborne deck, but better.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Viva Miriya posted:

Bit fighter heavy but a solid choice. I still prefer unspecialized when going with Eurocorps though as they have a very well rounded palate.

On another note, I haven't played since they updated Eastern Bloc - how do they fair now compared to USSR? The new units on paper seem pretty decent.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 3, 2015

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

If I'm primarily interested in single-player, is there a particular game in the series that's a standout?

I'm mostly interested in the central European theater (e.g. ABLE ARCHER), so I'm gravitating torwards European Escalation, but I wasn't sure if various quality of life improvements or campaign advances overshadowed what country borders I'm looking at.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

European Escalation campaigns were pretty fun.
...At launch. The game's units were rebalanced to hell and back post release for multiplayer, but the SP campaigns were never edited to match. If I recall, some of the campaigns are nigh impossible now as a result.

Also they're much different than later games, being scripted missions vs. move units on a map and play skirmish-like battles.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

...At launch. The game's units were rebalanced to hell and back post release for multiplayer, but the SP campaigns were never edited to match. If I recall, some of the campaigns are nigh impossible now as a result.

Ah thanks - so Red Dragon then?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Can someone list the RD units that are from WWII? I need them for reasons

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Can someone list the RD units that are from WWII? I need them for reasons

Let's see, without taking into account each nation, you have an M41A1 and an M16 half-track on the Norwegians, a Japanese M36 on Japan, the North Koreans have an SU-100 and the Czechs have an Sdkfz 251 repurposed as a tank-destroyer.

I think someone gets a Firefly and the Swedes get an American WW2 tank in one of their recon options? I think that's it.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
T-34 '85?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Azran posted:

Let's see, without taking into account each nation, you have an M41A1 and an M16 half-track on the Norwegians, a Japanese M36 on Japan, the North Koreans have an SU-100 and the Czechs have an Sdkfz 251 repurposed as a tank-destroyer.

I think someone gets a Firefly and the Swedes get an American WW2 tank in one of their recon options? I think that's it.

I know someone gets a Walker Bulldog and a Chaffee

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
South Korea gets M18, M36 and M14, Norway gets M24 and M8, USSR, Poland and GDR get t34-85, Denmark, Sweden and Canada get Centurion if you count that, Czechs get SDKZ 251 clone, various militas get bolt action rifles and NK gets PPSH militia.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

NK also has the SU 100 and SU 76.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
I'm surprised nobody's posted this here yet, but Eugen has a poll for five maps to include in the map DLC

http://aoa.eugensystems.com/poll-bringing-new-maps-red-dragon/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
These fuckers need to make the coop campaign finally for RD.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

I am actually a bit surprised. Although they said they would make some new maps after they could with AoA and all, I didn't actually expect it to happen.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Also they're much different than later games, being scripted missions vs. move units on a map and play skirmish-like battles.

Last summer I managed to make it all the way to the Warlord campaign before I lost interest. The campaigns are still playable if you use an extremely methodical play style, which I kind of enjoyed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm getting slammed in the Busan campaign. Doesn't seem to matter what I do on the first fight, they always have more troops than I do and loving wreck everything.

I'm trying to get over only fighting in zones. It's like I don't even see the other parts of the map.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Some pictures of the map re-rolls in progress:

Re-rolled Strait to the Point called "Battle of Yuchalnok Pass". I have actually played this map this way several times when each side successfully amphibious assaults opposite spawns; this is very fun and you get to see a lot of varied terrain and aren't restricted to lovely chokepoints. Because the map is so large, you get to see things like transport helicopters actually being re-used multiple times to transport infantry to shore up defenses or air assault, but without helicopters becoming a dominant force because of MANPADs hiding in trees, and forests and mountains actually seeing interesting combat and ambushes. This will be a great map. Will be great for 4v4s, doable for 10v10s.I like that the zones are really big and contestable.

Another re-roll, "The Green Mile". Looks pretty fun, there is a long front line that you have to hold the whole thing and there aren't chokepoints. A break through and your reinforcements on the roads could get cut off. Would be good for 4v4s and maybe 10v10s.

"Operation Chromite", this map will still have chokepoints but they are much wider and there are more of them. I think it will be a good 3v3 map.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 11, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Loving those rerolls.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
My favorite part is FLX saying they'll release the maps as they finish them, instead of making everyone wait for The Big Patch.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Are those three the only new maps being worked on?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Wow that middle reroll looks like such a better version that it's almost laughable.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Azran posted:

Are those three the only new maps being worked on?

Ten rerolls and i think five maps from ee and alb

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OctaMurk posted:

Ten rerolls and i think five maps from ee and alb

TMI or bust

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hubis posted:

TMI or bust

TMI, Highway to Hell, Hamburger Hill, Fulda Gap, and Copenhagen

There will be two 10v10 maps cropped to 4v4 maps, two 4v4 maps cropped to 1v1 maps, and six maps that are rotated versions of existing maps (including the three i posted)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

By re-rolls, they mean reworked maps? It's been a while since I last played.

Edit: nvm

Wow, Copenhagen is coming back. RIP my computer's components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So after putting hundreds of hours into EE and ALB I burned out on RD relatively quickly after its release and have been thinking about getting back into it. Any really big things I should know about that have completely changed since release and do goons actually still play?

• Locked thread