Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gilok posted:

"I'm sorry, Arunakrishnan takes too long to type. Your name is Toby now"

"Also, from now on I shall refer to you as 'Peaches'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Last week I set a printer on fire.

I was replacing a $1 part in it, and in doing so managed to get the two cables lodged in a screw hole, stripped the insulation around them, and connected them. When I turned the machine on the motherboard shot sparks at me and had that ever so pleasant acrid blue smoke. Fried the motherboard, hard drive, and user interface, all over a $1 pick solenoid.

Then yesterday, in our big team meeting with the big boss I get to see every 3 months or so, I was told that the tech in the position I've had my sights on for the past year will no longer be on this account and I'm to replace him.

Just goes to show, wreck things and get promoted.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Oyster posted:

Last week I set a printer on fire.

I was replacing a $1 part in it, and in doing so managed to get the two cables lodged in a screw hole, stripped the insulation around them, and connected them. When I turned the machine on the motherboard shot sparks at me and had that ever so pleasant acrid blue smoke. Fried the motherboard, hard drive, and user interface, all over a $1 pick solenoid.

Then yesterday, in our big team meeting with the big boss I get to see every 3 months or so, I was told that the tech in the position I've had my sights on for the past year will no longer be on this account and I'm to replace him.

Just goes to show, wreck things and get promoted.
Printers, specifically.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

"IT IS NOT APRINTER HELP ME PLEASE" (Printer not printing?)
I like this one. Existentialism, printers, and all caps.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

Mr. GIMP started last Wednesday. He has submitted so so so many tickets.

A sampling:

"PLEASE .. A NEW KEYBOARD ... AT LEAST ONE I CAN READ," (He hunts and pecks. His keyboard had three letters worn away.)
"HOW ABOUT SOME NEW LIGHTS IN THE BATHROOM" (Referring to an obsolete fluorescent light over the mirror that hasn't worked in over a decade, but was never taken down. He needs a light to put on foundation)
"GIMP" (That's all it said. It is the now infamous 'Gimp Rubdown')
"STUDIO SPEAKER I WANT TO HEAR IT" (Referencing an obsolete monitor speaker hanging from the ceiling from the days when studio control would converse with the studio crew through speakers, rather than ear pieces.)
"CAN'T SEE MY DESK" (Translation: "One fluorescent light is out in the newsroom. Please bring in a 30 foot ladder and change it for me right now.")
"IT IS NOT APRINTER HELP ME PLEASE" (Printer not printing?)
God drat. Please tell me your poo poo boss doesn't actually have you guys changing lightbulbs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Knormal posted:

God drat. Please tell me your poo poo boss doesn't actually have you guys changing lightbulbs.

My co-worker got scheduled to go physically assemble a desk in some dude's apartment this morning.

It's the sort of poo poo they used to hand me, but I think people realize I would have raised hell about it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Knormal posted:

Considering the bush league IT infrastructure I bitch about constantly, is it any surprise that I'm Facilities, Groundskeeper, and also sometimes Janitor?

If it, in any way, involves electricity or a tool, it's my domain.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're all used to dealing with tools at our respective companies.

gently caress the other noise though. Small, cheapass companies ugh.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

We're all used to dealing with tools at our respective companies.

gently caress the other noise though. Small, cheapass companies ugh.

I get to reboot every single thin client in our office at some point soon! As in walk up to it, push the power button, and then push it again.

No, I am not allowed to ask each person to do this because reasons

gently caress small shops forever :-(

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

MJP posted:

I get to reboot every single thin client in our office at some point soon! As in walk up to it, push the power button, and then push it again.

gently caress that. Throw the main breaker.

If you're feeling really generous, wait till after-hours.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

anthonypants posted:

Printers, specifically.

Proof there is a God. Or at least some sort of Karmatic Overlord.

Inspector_666 posted:

My co-worker got scheduled to go physically assemble a desk in some dude's apartment this morning.

It's the sort of poo poo they used to hand me, but I think people realize I would have raised hell about it.

Knormal posted:

Assembling cubicles, changing lightbulbs, moving thousands of file boxes, entire warehouses full of medical equipment and shelving, delivering pallets of computers/servers/monitors, etc was standard faire at my last job.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 10, 2015

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If you're feeling really generous, wait till after-hours.

Or find places with no camera coverage and plug in space heaters all across the office and hide them.

Then wait.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

There's no way to automate this? Expert sexchange seems to have a few posts suggesting that it's possible, plus you can use WoL for any stragglers.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Volmarias posted:

There's no way to automate this? Expert sexchange seems to have a few posts suggesting that it's possible, plus you can use WoL for any stragglers.

I think that's a little out of scope :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dragyn posted:

This is precisely why I browse via RDP to my home PC. Never know when you're gonna end up somewhere your employer wouldn't approve of.
I do that too.
I sent my boss an article about windows 10 the other day. Our filter blocked it. Oops.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I like this one. Existentialism, printers, and all caps.

C'est ne pas une printer?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ilkhan posted:

I do that too.
I sent my boss an article about windows 10 the other day. Our filter blocked it. Oops.

If he asks, just say that you found it while at home and forwarded it to yourself because you thought he'd be interested.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Assembling cubicles, changing lightbulbs, moving thousands of file boxes, entire warehouses full of medical equipment and shelving, delivering pallets of computers/servers/monitors, etc was standard faire at my last job.

See this is basically my current job only my current job is less interesting. If I could have a job where I get to do this and fiddle with computers, I would be pretty happy.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It's you, Wizard of the Deep. You are my favorite poster in this page.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

President Ark posted:

If he asks, just say that you found it while at home and forwarded it to yourself because you thought he'd be interested.
Nah, he knows I browse via RDP and the link was work related. Not an issue.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My first review from my :yotj: came in and went like this:

we like your enthusiasm and it's great to be held accountable and for you to be able to be SME from day one but you're new, so don't be an overachiever.

:shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Don't cost us our cushy jobs you idiot"

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Time to coast forever :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just got gifted one of the printer/scanners that won't scan if the printer is out of ink. It's amazing how scummy these companies can be.

I will shoot holes in this thing and leave the carcass in the woods before I spend $50 on ink to work the scanner.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Javid posted:

Just got gifted one of the printer/scanners that won't scan if the printer is out of ink. It's amazing how scummy these companies can be.

I will shoot holes in this thing and leave the carcass in the woods before I spend $50 on ink to work the scanner.

Wonder if there's a way to trick the sensor into thinking there's ink to defeat that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There're utilities that just reset the counter in its firmware, but they don't work on this particular model.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wonder if there's a way to trick the sensor into thinking there's ink to defeat that.

Fill it with water.

The Printer, that is.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

E: Double post

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So inbetween resolving tickets. i'm trying to migrate our wsus server to 2012. So im testing this in our testing environment. And the other servers can't ping the new wsus server. but the wsus server can ping the other servers. No big deal. our firewall is probally blocking it. i'll just add the mac adress and allow the ports wsus needs. I can't find it. I look for it on IP now. Still nothing. I check our production environment just in case and there it is. Turn out that when i installed the server In Vmware, I used the production network adapter instead of the Testing one. :suicide:

Now to figure out where to install the sql database.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

Those lovely printers that refuse to work without specific ink cartridges usually have the counter chip in the cartridge. It doesn't actually check the content of the cartridge, but the chip will keep track of how many pages have been printed and will "run out" after a preset number of pages. If the chip doesn't work or doesn't have the right ID code (usually encrypted) the printer refuses to work.

Some of them have been cracked, but far from all of them.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

The Fool posted:

Shark biologist.

But no, just a small town IT shop with a bunch of man baby co-workers and a inappropriate culture perpetuated by the owner.

They all mostly do good work though, and I primarily work at client locations, so whatever.

I can empathise with this. During my first working role, a few months in I started getting pissed off because the office culture was "let's throw balls around the office unexpectedly, at each other, even though Mammalian wants to focus on work and facebook."

There was one guy in particular, named Daniel, who pushed his luck. In one moment I stood up for myself and said "listen, can you stop throwing balls, please? I've told you before, I don't like it, I'm trying to work." and his reaction was akin to a camp "oooooo~" and the office dismissed it as "you're getting too uptight."

A couple weeks later he comes over to my desk to talk to my neighbouring colleague. He started tapping the side of my headphones while they were on my head, or something, I didn't see exactly what he was doing but something was hitting it. I yanked them off and slammed them on the table causing a dent they still proudly present to this day, and I proceeded to yell at the big, burly, beast of a man. I mean, he wasn't tall but he had an extended lunch so he could go to the gym EVERY DAY and pump iron. So I asked him if he was loving retarded, what was wrong with him, told him to go back to his desk and do his job, and that I wasn't interested in being a device for him to deal with his ADHD with.

Yeah, they've been joking about it for over a year now and it will remain a crucial moment in my legacy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mammalian posted:

I can empathise with this. During my first working role, a few months in I started getting pissed off because the office culture was "let's throw balls around the office unexpectedly, at each other, even though Mammalian wants to focus on work and facebook."

There was one guy in particular, named Daniel, who pushed his luck. In one moment I stood up for myself and said "listen, can you stop throwing balls, please? I've told you before, I don't like it, I'm trying to work." and his reaction was akin to a camp "oooooo~" and the office dismissed it as "you're getting too uptight."

A couple weeks later he comes over to my desk to talk to my neighbouring colleague. He started tapping the side of my headphones while they were on my head, or something, I didn't see exactly what he was doing but something was hitting it. I yanked them off and slammed them on the table causing a dent they still proudly present to this day, and I proceeded to yell at the big, burly, beast of a man. I mean, he wasn't tall but he had an extended lunch so he could go to the gym EVERY DAY and pump iron. So I asked him if he was loving retarded, what was wrong with him, told him to go back to his desk and do his job, and that I wasn't interested in being a device for him to deal with his ADHD with.

Yeah, they've been joking about it for over a year now and it will remain a crucial moment in my legacy.

I genuinely think that there is a lot of wisdom in Office Space:

quote:

Rob Newhouse: Y'know, minimum-security prison is no picnic. I have a client in there right now. He says the trick is: kick someone's rear end the first day, or become someone's bitch. Then everything will be all right.

I think that flipping out once per employer can be good for your reputation and stop you being a doormat. (assuming you are surrounded by others who will try to bully/take advantage of you)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mammalian posted:

I had one of these coworkers. He had a girlfriend for like a week before proposing to her, and didn't think that was weird. He described a fight with her over her not wanting him to eat pork, and he got really upset to the point where she began to cry and apologize, and wanted everyone to agree with him. Our office was tiny, and he liked to use my desk for storage, and would get upset that I kept moving his poo poo to our closet. Occasionally he'd download Android soundboards for like video games or whatever, and use them in conversation. One day he decided to gently caress around with an Android tone generator he downloaded so he could find out what level of pitch everyone could hear, and I blew up at him.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
My hot take--flipping out at work over trivial bullshit is the embarrassing and awkward.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The first few times are trivial, the 100th is not.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

Slanderer posted:

My hot take--flipping out at work over trivial bullshit is the embarrassing and awkward.

Totally. But this is the culture and the environment, and I expressed calmly several times previously that I took it seriously and wasn't going to, you know, be his office toy.

I guess it was a good thing actually:

spog posted:

I genuinely think that there is a lot of wisdom in Office Space:

I think that flipping out once per employer can be good for your reputation and stop you being a doormat. (assuming you are surrounded by others who will try to bully/take advantage of you)

because this is true, no one has pestered me since, and it didn't isolate me from the others of the company, because they all had the sense to realise that the guy was an rear end. He was also a player - multiple girls on the go, lying to them and cheating. No one was on this guy's side, which is why when there was a formal investigation into the incident (caused by me bringing the incident to my line manager), my two different bosses (TWO, BOB!) both agreed what I did was understandable.

The guy left the company a month or so later.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Fool posted:

Shark biologist.

But no, just a small town IT shop with a bunch of man baby co-workers and a inappropriate culture perpetuated by the owner.

They all mostly do good work though, and I primarily work at client locations, so whatever.

:( :respek: :(

I'm in the same boat, except the number of man-babies is 4 including myself and not only is the owner incredibly inappropriate, he's also shockingly incompetent.

I'm not going to post specific stuff but our website (written in PHP for some reason! Most likely auto-generated by Dreamweaver) looks like something from late-90s Geocities.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

OwlFancier posted:

See this is basically my current job only my current job is less interesting. If I could have a job where I get to do this and fiddle with computers, I would be pretty happy.

If I could have done that and not been responsible for computers... I'd have been much happier.
It's one thing to do do operations work all day. It's quite another to do ops work all day and then computer work all night.
For 2 years I spent more hours inside the office than outside of it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Re: freaking out at work- I wanted to post that gif from true detective where crash gets his ball grabbed while ginger tells him "I embraaaace the outlaw lifestyle"

Thats what you gotta do to a bully at work. Grab their balls and say something wierd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The last straw at one of my many lovely jobs (911 for a sheriff's office) was when I was taking an emergency call and one of the bigot fuckheads I worked with threw a roll of toilet paper at my head. It hit me flat side first, almost knocking my headset off. It took all of my will not to just walk out in that moment. I didn't last much longer there but at least the period of unemployment that followed led me to my next rewarding career adventure: call center supervision.

:smithicide:

• Locked thread