Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So what's an efreet? Heroes of Might and Magic depicted them as evil, fiery versions of genies, but I'm sure that's not totally accurate, if at all.

Efreet are a subtype of jinn or genie. All genies are powerful and made from "smokeless fire." Efreet are just one of them and mentioned in 1,001 Arabian Nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you all! I learned many things today.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Selachian posted:

It's not far off, really. Efreets (ifrits, afrits, whatever) are also a type of jinn, but they're nasty, demonic troublemakers rather than obedient servants like Aladdin's genies.

Jinn were one of three "races" God created and like humans, had free will. Unlike humans, they were magically powerful, but prone to deception. Efreet only get one mention in Arabian Nights and is a dick. Others vary from nice to devious to dickish. Efreet are also supposed to be the next to highest on the jinn tiers in terms of power.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Selachian posted:

It's not far off, really. Efreets (ifrits, afrits, whatever) are also a type of jinn, but they're nasty, demonic troublemakers rather than obedient servants like Aladdin's genies.
Many times the genies aren't even servants, they're just grateful. Some scrub does a genie a solid, the genie says "I owe you one, name your reward and I will fulfill it to the best of my (vast) capabilities". Then the story starts/continues/ends. Djinn are basically the cultural equivalent of "a wizard did it". Western culture's obsession with the monkey paw wish thing is like India suddenly deciding that turning into bats is the only notable part of the vampire myth and developing an entire mythology centred around Dracula's secret identity, Bruce Wayne.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 7, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Splicer posted:

and developing an entire mythology centred around Dracula's secret identity, Bruce Wayne.

BRB gonna go do exactly this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Night10194 posted:

BRB gonna go do exactly this.

When you get to 1991 tell 10-year-old me that Piers Anthony sucks and don't read him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Xelkelvos posted:

Jinn were one of three "races" God created and like humans, had free will. Unlike humans, they were magically powerful, but prone to deception. Efreet only get one mention in Arabian Nights and is a dick. Others vary from nice to devious to dickish. Efreet are also supposed to be the next to highest on the jinn tiers in terms of power.

Sage Genesis posted:

That's pretty much how it works in the original story of Aladdin. His first wish of the genie of the lamp was for some food, and the genie "returned with a silver bowl, twelve silver plates containing rich meats, two silver cups, and two bottles of wine." In other words, it was out there, thieving. Genies have magic abilities and are immensely strong and fast but they don't have direct reality-editing powers.

The three wishes that change reality and will gently caress you over due to poor wording is actually from The Monkey's Paw, and it has nothing to do with genies. Even the amount. In Aladdin the genies (plural, there's a genie of the lamp and a genie of the ring) are outright slaves who must serve. There's no limit to three tasks.
Another thing was that djinn or djinni were sometimes imprisoned by powerful magic, which was why they were slaves. From there it's not hard to imagine a case where a malevolent spirit isn't happy about being bound to a knick-knack and actively tries to gently caress wish-users over, and why wishing an incredibly powerful and possibly malevolent genie free could be considered a hilariously bad idea.

But yeah, for the most part they were just used as a combination deus ex machina and macguffin in the old stories.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I tried my hand at porting over the 3.5 Marshal into a Fighter Archetype

This isn't really supposed to be a "good" or well-designed archetype, but more as an exercise to try and see how easy it'd be to crowbar in a 3rd Edition class within the 5th Edition framework, as well as a writing exercise to try and write in naturalistic language.

The latter was pretty easy, but the former was more difficult than I thought. The Fighter only has 5 "breakpoints" where they earn new archetype features, and archetypes only start at level 3, so unless I was going to violate that I had to make squeeze everything in like a pair of Levis.

Instead of Minor Auras at level 1 and Major Auras at level 2, I had to give both at level 3. And then there's this LOOONG stretch of nothing until level 7. I couldn't wait until level 7 to give out Major Auras because games might well be over until then.

This makes this Archetype appealing as a multi-class dip, but that's really a problem with the Fighter's interaction with multi-classing and 5e's multi-classing rules in general.

Also, the Marshal is only supposed to know so many Auras at any one time, but there's no good way to gradually dole those out without a table or again giving uneven bunches at the 5 breakpoints.

Finally, the auras fall into the same problem as Battle Master Maneuvers where there's no tiering, so doling them out a few at a time just means you take the best ones right away and the latter ones are the useless ones, but that, along with the general lack of the Marshal for anything to do, is a problem with the original class.

I really like it, no idea if it is even remotely not broken, but I like it. It is another Fighter archetype/rewrite that I would like to try, though I am currently testing out my own homebrew/houserules. I believe there was some other stuff not that far back that I wanted to try, but not enough games for me to play different fighter builds in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ryuujin posted:

I really like it, no idea if it is even remotely not broken, but I like it. It is another Fighter archetype/rewrite that I would like to try, though I am currently testing out my own homebrew/houserules. I believe there was some other stuff not that far back that I wanted to try, but not enough games for me to play different fighter builds in.

Thanks! I'm also slowly working on porting over the Tome of Battle maneuvers, but that's a far larger project

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

So what's an efreet? Heroes of Might and Magic depicted them as evil, fiery versions of genies, but I'm sure that's not totally accurate, if at all.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/ifrit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifrit
http://www.britannica.com/topic/jinni
http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Fi-Go/Genies.html

quote:

in Islāmic mythology, a class of infernal jinn (spirits below the level of angels and devils) noted for their strength and cunning. An ifrit is an enormous winged creature of smoke, either male or female, who lives underground and frequents ruins. Ifrits live in a society structured along ancient Arab tribal lines, complete with kings, tribes, and clans. They generally marry one another, but they can also marry humans. While ordinary weapons and forces have no power over them, they are susceptible to magic, which humans can use to kill them or to capture and enslave them. As with the jinn, an ifrit may be either a believer or an unbeliever, good or evil, but he is most often depicted as a wicked and ruthless being.

The rare appearance of the term ifrit in the Qurʾān (the sacred scripture of Islām) and in Ḥadīth (eyewitness narratives recounting Muḥammad’s words, actions, or approbations) is always in the phrase “the ifrit of the jinn” and probably means “rebellious.” The word subsequently came to refer to an entire class of formidable, rebellious beings, but, in the confused world of chthonic (underworld) spirits, it was difficult to differentiate one from another. The ifrit thus became virtually indistinguishable from the mārid, also a wicked and rebellious demon.

quote:

jinni, plural Jinn, also called Genie, Arabic Jinnī, in Arabic mythology, a supernatural spirit below the level of angels and devils. Ghūl (treacherous spirits of changing shape), ʿifrīt (diabolic, evil spirits), and siʿlā (treacherous spirits of invariable form) constitute classes of jinn. Jinn are beings of flame or air who are capable of assuming human or animal form and are said to dwell in all conceivable inanimate objects—stones, trees, ruins—underneath the earth, in the air, and in fire. They possess the bodily needs of human beings and can even be killed, but they are free from all physical restraints. Jinn delight in punishing humans for any harm done them, intentionally or unintentionally, and are said to be responsible for many diseases and all kinds of accidents; however, those human beings knowing the proper magical procedure can exploit the jinn to their advantage.

Belief in jinn was common in early Arabia, where they were thought to inspire poets and soothsayers. Even Muḥammad originally feared that his revelations might be the work of jinn. Their existence was further acknowledged in official Islām, which indicated that they, like human beings, would have to face eventual salvation or damnation. Jinn, especially through their association with magic, have always been favourite figures in North African, Egyptian, Syrian, Persian, and Turkish folklore and are the centre of an immense popular literature, appearing notably in The Thousand and One Nights. In India and Indonesia they have entered local Muslim imaginations by way of the Qurʾānic descriptions and Arabic literature.

quote:

The Ifrits are in a class of infernal Jinn noted for their strength and cunning. An ifrit is an enormous winged creature of fire, either male or female, who lives underground and frequents ruins. Ifrits live in a society structured along ancient Arab tribal lines, complete with kings, tribes and clans. They generally marry one another, but they can also marry humans.

While ordinary weapons and forces have no power over them, they are susceptible to magic, which humans can use to kill them or to capture and enslave them.[citation needed] As with the jinn, an ifrit may be either a believer or an unbeliever, good or evil, but it is most often depicted as a wicked and ruthless being.

quote:

Genies (also called jinn or genii) are spirits in cultures of the Middle East and Africa. The term genie comes from the Arabic word jinni, which referred to an evil spirit that could take the shape of an animal or person. It could be found in every kind of nonliving thing, even air and fire. Jinn (the plural of jinni) were said to have magical powers and are favorite figures in Islamic literature. To the Mende people of Sierra Leone in Africa, genii are spirits who occasionally try to possess living men. The Mende use magic to fight genii who enter the living.

In ancient Rome, the term genii, the plural form of the Latin word genius, referred to the spirits that watched over every man. The genius was responsible for forming a man's character and caused all actions. Believed to be present at birth, genius came to be thought of as great inborn ability. Women had a similar spirit known as a juno. Some Romans also believed in a spirit, called an evil genius, that fought the good genius for control of a man's fate. In later Roman mythology, genii were spirits who guarded the household or community.

In DnD its more fun to go with the four elemental affiliations for the four types of Djin IMO. Lots of story stuff hidden here and there as long as youre ok with the inner planes and planescape stuff. (Efreet are fire, Djin are air, Marid are water, Dao are earth, Jann are mixed, weaker, and live on the Material planes.)

Theres also the Al Qadim stuff which had an entire magical system based around interacting with them. (The Sha'ir.) I never ran it though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qadim
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha%27ir

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 8, 2015

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Genies are in the monster manual, I'm confused by all the guessing about what they're like.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah. Stop imagining stuff wrong :colbert:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Genies are in the monster manual, I'm confused by all the guessing about what they're like.

We are (were) discussing the real-life mythology behind genies. Not the D&D versions of genies.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah. Stop imagining stuff wrong :colbert:

Sage Genesis posted:

We are (were) discussing the real-life mythology behind genies. Not the D&D versions of genies.

:thejoke:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Speaking of the process of mythology being translated to D&D: where did rakshasas having reversed hands come from? I never really looked into it in-depth, but my cursory readings of mythological rakshasas never mentioned backwards hands. I'm guessing it's just part of making them monstrous and disturbingly inhuman but it's kind of an odd trait to come up with out of nowhere. The tiger head thing I can understand, because it's easy to describe and is also markedly more inhuman than "ugly human head with big fangs and stuff" that you find in mythology.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Speaking of the process of mythology being translated to D&D: where did rakshasas having reversed hands come from? I never really looked into it in-depth, but my cursory readings of mythological rakshasas never mentioned backwards hands. I'm guessing it's just part of making them monstrous and disturbingly inhuman but it's kind of an odd trait to come up with out of nowhere. The tiger head thing I can understand, because it's easy to describe and is also markedly more inhuman than "ugly human head with big fangs and stuff" that you find in mythology.

I've looked that up myself, and as far as I can tell that's a DnDism.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

fool_of_sound posted:

I've looked that up myself, and as far as I can tell that's a DnDism.

Now I'm curious as to where that comes from, since the AD&D 1e Monster Manual doesn't describe them that way and the picture associated with it is just a regular dude with regular hands. And a tiger's head.

Edit: Ah, the 2e MM mentions that outward curved hands are a common feature.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 8, 2015

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
That particular trait might be a DnDism, but I believe the idea was to reflect the flawed nature of their shape-shifting/illusions: they would change into a pleasing form to try and lure you away from safety, but could not create a perfect semblance. Something not immediately obvious would give them away, like backwards hands.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah,it was supposed to be an example of the kind of thing that would give the illusion away, and instead became the thing that they all have now.

Another example of this sort of thing from another mythology is the water spirit with a hollow back.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah,it was supposed to be an example of the kind of thing that would give the illusion away, and instead became the thing that they all have now.

Another example of this sort of thing from another mythology is the water spirit with a hollow back.
I thought that was a hollow top-of-the-head? At least the one Im thinking of. Kappa?

Yeah Kappa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_%28folklore%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

Thanks for the education Oriental Adventures!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So my Wednesday DM, who has been running Encounters and thus Princes of the Apocalypse. They got permission, probably from the store coordinator or something, to turn the game into a "home" or "casual" game allowing things like Unearthed Arcana and homebrew/houserules. They gave us the choice of either keeping our 6th level characters and continuing the game as usual, or rebuilding 1st level characters with additional options like Unearthed Arcana stuff, and even races from the Monster Manual with DM permission and ruling.

It sounds like we start at 1st level, but will more or less still be going through Princes of the Apocalypse with some adjustments and probably fast leveling until we catch up.

Special stat rolling options for this were roll 4d6, reroll 1s once each, and drop lowest die straight down the middle; after you have your six stats you can pick one and reroll it but must take the reroll. Then after all that you can set one stat to 18.

With all that I ended up with 13 Str, 16 Dex, 17 Con (my reroll got lucky there), 18 Intelligence (was 14 before replacing it with the 18), 15 Wis and 11 Cha.
I picked Githzerai for my race and the DM gave me +2 Dex, +1 Int and +1 Wis which was pretty nice, setting those to 13 Str 18 Dex 17 Con 19 Int 16 Wis 11 Cha.
Also gave the Githzerai a weaker version of Psychic Defense, giving a bonus to AC when unarmored of half Wis mod instead of full Wis mod.

And he allowed me to try the Psion from the most recent Unearthed Arcana. Went with the Awakened Order and the Conquering Mind discipline. Will see how it goes, until we get to 6th level unless they put out more material for it before then.

Others were a kobold bard using +2 dex +1 cha I believe, and with Pack Tactics; a dwarf barbarian who is probably going to multiclass fighter and maybe druid again; a half white dragon (template) troll using +2 con +1 str and some vague healing ability that has a short or long rest limit on how much it can heal, don't remember all the details, also the save for the breath weapon is the same as dragonborn and the number of d8s is the same as the dragonborn's d6s instead of 5d8 right off the bat; a dragonborn paladin who might not make it to any more sessions for awhile, because of military service but they are starting out and have a friend who is probably going to run games for them on duty; and two humans one a war cleric who will probably go fighter and I don't remember the other's class.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FRINGE posted:

I thought that was a hollow top-of-the-head? At least the one Im thinking of. Kappa?

Yeah Kappa.

The image I have in my head comes from one of those Time-Life Mythology books, but googling I find that huldra in Scandanavian folklore are sometimes portrayed with a hollowed out back. They're more associated with trees than pools of water though.

EDIT: It was one of the Enchanted World series at my local library.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 9, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So D&D 5E is also known as D&D Next? Is that correct?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So D&D 5E is also known as D&D Next? Is that correct?

Next was the playtest name. They've since dropped it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's no way they dropped the name iD&D5.0 Next it after everyone pointed out how loving dumb it was. No way. It was only ever for the playtest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tried to search, but is there any goons doing online versions of this? It's highly unlikely I'll be able to get a local group together.

I'd ask my roommate, but he already DMs like 5 different campaigns over skype :magical:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

First page of the game room: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728604

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Tried to search, but is there any goons doing online versions of this? It's highly unlikely I'll be able to get a local group together.

I'd ask my roommate, but he already DMs like 5 different campaigns over skype :magical:

PbPs pop up in the Game Room every now and then, just keep an eye on the Recruitment Megathread.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

P.d0t posted:

PbPs pop up in the Game Room every now and then, just keep an eye on the Recruitment Megathread.

I was hoping for something a bit more traditional than post by post. I'll keep an eye out tho.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was hoping for something a bit more traditional than post by post. I'll keep an eye out tho.

Sent you a PM.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The next season of Adventurer's League is based in the town of Hillsfar.

quote:

The D&D Adventurers League is excited to announce that Hillsfar is the port of call for the Rage of Demons storyline season! Hillsfar is best known for its great port of trade and its rampant racism against non-humans. ...

The walled city-state of Hillsfar is on the southern coast of the Moonsea, just north of the Forest of Cormanthor where three major roads meet. What began as a convenient trade stopover under the control of the Elven Court has become one of the major powers of the Moonsea, a power based on free trade and brutal racism.

This will go over super well in public play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been working on a conversion of Tome of Battle for 5e. I've completed converting all of the disciplines/maneuvers available to the Warblade to 5e specifications, and I'd like to throw up the draft to suggestions and other feedback

To do:

* I haven't decided yet if this is going to be a Fighter archetype or a completely new class. The former will have the problem of the Fighter still being poo poo for 3 levels, and then I have to squeeze in 3 levels of progression as soon as the archetype is selected. The latter is a meatier chunk of work to do, but it wouldn't have any archetypes yet that I can see. Thoughts on this would be helpful.

* Either way, I still have define what are Maneuvers, what are Stances, what is an initiator level, how Maneuvers are learned, recharged, etc. This should be fairly straightforward, I just have to do naturalistic rewrites.

* One big design assumption I made was making most of the Maneuvers into taking the place of one attack in a multi-attack sequence, this is similar to how Battle Master Maneuvers already work, but it opens up the way for using multiple Maneuvers per turn, and that these Maneuvers are significantly more powerful than adding a d8 to a hit. On the other hand, a Fighter doesn't even earn a second attack until level 5, or a third until level 11. The alternative would be making most Maneuvers into (Standard) Actions, or imposing a limit of 1 replacing Maneuver per Attack action.

* A lot of my design assumptions and notes on converting the Maneuvers are at the last part of the document.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

alg posted:

The next season of Adventurer's League is based in the town of Hillsfar.

This will go over super well in public play.

1. Who thought this town was a good idea?

2. Who thought making this town the setting of the new adventure was a good idea?

3. Who the hell thinks that brutal racism and trade can coincide like that? You can do it these days with automated systems and global economies, but in Ye Days of Olde you need to do a lot of face to face meetings and negotiations. Plus, firsthand exposure to other cultures that goes beyond stereotypes and prejudices. Old traders were known for being more tolerant, not less.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is Hillsfar any different from every other first level poo poo-town in the Realms

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I don't know, brutal anti-non-human racist town sounds hella fun to play if you're running a 4e party of weirdos. Bet a pack of Thri-Kreen, Warforged, Dragonborn, Minotaur, and Pixie murderhobos wouldn't take too kindly to them bigots.

Too bad it's a 5e adventure.

Edit: One campaign someone in our group made up the slur "statues" to refer to a couple of our Warforged characters and mocked us for not having souls.

VVVVVV

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 10, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Most of my players play their characters as jerks to other races.

More in the "rival sports fans" way than "fascist boot heel stamping on a face forever" though. They reserve the latter for people who worship the wrong gods.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

3. Who the hell thinks that brutal racism and trade can coincide like that? You can do it these days with automated systems and global economies, but in Ye Days of Olde you need to do a lot of face to face meetings and negotiations. Plus, firsthand exposure to other cultures that goes beyond stereotypes and prejudices. Old traders were known for being more tolerant, not less.

I think Hillsfar is supposed to be a Fantasy British Empire. Hopefully an unflattering depiction of such.

Really Pants posted:

is Hillsfar any different from every other first level poo poo-town in the Realms

There's probably fewer super high level characters standing by to rub PC's noses in the dirt as soon as

Yeah I can't finish that thought. It's got super high level characters standing by to rub PC's noses in the dirt.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Racial prejudice and stereotyping is probably the best thing about d&d and I'm not joking whatsoever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goatface posted:

Most of my players play their characters as jerks to other races.

More in the "rival sports fans" way than "fascist boot heel stamping on a face forever" though. They reserve the latter for people who worship the wrong gods.
My human wizard has slowly metamorphosed into a Draconic weeaboo and recently spent about 10 minutes ranting at the wood elf about all the (made up on the spot) reasons why elvish is a dumb language for stupids.

And referred to undercommon as "even lower common".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

TheBlandName posted:

I think Hillsfar is supposed to be a Fantasy British Empire. Hopefully an unflattering depiction of such.

Yeah but one City-State can't pull off the accomplishments of the British Empire. They had strictly superior technology over the colonies and indigenous peoples they oppressed, a self-evident fact because otherwise how cou- you know what, never mind. It's the Forgotten Realms, I don't know what I expected.