Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Mouse Hunt is on Netflix and is pretty much tailor made for 7-9yr olds. It's also one of Christopher Walken's best roles, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

A lot of goons had hosed up childhoods and watched stuff like Alien at age 8 and think that's normal and healthy.

Plenty of 8 year olds can handle Alien. That's not a "goon" thing, especially if you're over 30 and didn't have parents that were terrified of showing you anything but Thundercats.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Robocop was my first movie I truly remember loving, and I saw that when I was like 8. I was never able to get the image of the acid man exploding after getting hit by a van out of my head though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
When did Rocky get put back up on Netflix? If you haven't seen it, you should definitely watch it. It's a great drama, and more than lives up to its legacy as a classic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The_Rob posted:

Robocop was my first movie I truly remember loving, and I saw that when I was like 8. I was never able to get the image of the acid man exploding after getting hit by a van out of my head though.
Thank god I'm not the only one who only remembered that scene from my childhood watching of Robocop.

The Dark Crystal scared the poo poo out of me when I was little. I still don't like it.

If you want some nostalgia check out old Disney stuff and the like, My Friend Flicka, Black Beauty, Old Yeller, Shane (yes I know they're not all kid movies or Disney)... If you can find Swamp Fox, you can teach them about the American Revolution for instance!

And Tail-Spin. Force them to watch every episode.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Watch UHF. It's on Prime and it's $3 bucks on google and amazon etc. This movie was extremely formative to my entire sense of humor.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Watch UHF. It's on Prime and it's $3 bucks on google and amazon etc. This movie was extremely formative to my entire sense of humor.

Yeah great movie

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gilok posted:

I love UHF but if you're planning on showing it to young kids they wouldn't get like 90% of the jokes since they're all parodies of 80s movies and TV shows.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sleeveless posted:

I love UHF but if you're planning on showing it to young kids they wouldn't get like 90% of the jokes since they're all parodies of 80s movies and TV shows.

When you're a kid a lot of that stuff goes over your head but it works anyway because you accept it as it is. The constant Peter Lorre caricatures in old Bugs Bunny cartoons just become "that creepy guy with the eyes." A kid watching UHF doesn't have to know Conan the Barbarian to find a big warrior working in a library funny.

In fact, a kid watching UHF probably wouldn't even think to ask what the hell a UHF station is.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
James and the Giant Peach was a great suggestion. I really liked Hook as a kid, which is on Netflix.

Or, drink some cough syrup with them and watch Fantasia.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is on netflix.
The Iron Giant is only $3 on amazon as well.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alterian posted:

The Iron Giant is only $3 on amazon as well.

Yes, let's trade terror tears for genuine sadness tears.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Brad Bird wrote one of the textbooks I had to use in college and referenced the Iron Giant a lot in it so we watched it during class at the beginning of the semester. I knew it was coming and I had to stab myself in the leg with a pencil to keep myself from crying in front of the other students.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Brad Bird is pulling a George Lucas and re-releasing The Iron Giant in theaters this fall with some new scenes added so, uh, get hype?

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

How does The Rocketeer never get any love, ever? That movie ruled when I was a kid, and it rules now that I have my own kids.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Wrath of Kahn is the movie that terrified me as a kid after seeing it in the theater. I'd flip out anytime a bug got near my ear thinking it would crawl into my ear and eat my brain.

Buckaroo Banzai might be a good one for nostalgic purposes if it's still streaming. I loved that movie when I saw it in the theater.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Know How is an extremely ambitious, exceptionally staged adaptation of a musical written and performed by seven NYC teenagers in foster care. You should watch it. This is real independent cinema. The real down and out of living in the invisible margins of 'mainstream' society.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure if the question's been asked, but I gotta know. Is there any real garbage I should check out? Every now and then I get in a mood to watch something terrible.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

nerdman42 posted:

I'm not sure if the question's been asked, but I gotta know. Is there any real garbage I should check out? Every now and then I get in a mood to watch something terrible.

In order from "just kind of sad and awful" to "actually kind of endearingly bad" to "the type of bad that can only come from a singular vision, that then becomes actually quite good":
- Mysterious Ways
- Bad Hair Day
- Parallels
- Avengers Grimm
- Bad Asses on the Bayou

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I had my own copy of terminator 2 on vhs when I was 8 years old. I turned out....alright...

I recommend Roger Rabbit

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Aliens and Terminator 2 are great films to show nieces and nephews when they're about 12-13 if you want to cement your legacy as Coolest Uncle Ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
In the same vein of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, there's always The Neverending Story. I loved that movie as a child, even though the wolf monster scares me.

It holds up very well, and it's themes have become more relevant than ever.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

The wife and I have our niece and nephew (7 and 9) coming over for a sleepover tomorrow night, and we're looking for something nostalgic to stream. The last couple times they were over we watched The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Everythign we've though of so far (Princess Bride, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park...) isn't available on Amazon or Netflix (for free, at least). Any good suggestions?

Disney's Robin Hood! It's on Netflix.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Plenty of 8 year olds can handle Alien. That's not a "goon" thing, especially if you're over 30 and didn't have parents that were terrified of showing you anything but Thundercats.

Lol this is crazy talk. Yeah let's show our 7 & 9 year old niece and nephew one of the scariest horror films ever made, their parents will love us for the week of sleepless nights we've given them.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 10, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, your job as a parent probably isn't to toughen your kids up by having them watch poo poo burst out of people's chests.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I watched Alien as a kid and I turned out terrible.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
If it's someone else's kids then it's not really your decision to make anyhow.

Sand Monster posted:

Disney's Robin Hood! It's on Netflix.

This is a pretty good answer, I think.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I watched Alien with my 1 year old sitting on my lap, he thought it was funny.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Banshee Season 1 is on Amazon Prime and I heartily recommend it as better than the sum of its parts. B-television on a premium channel, over-the-top sex & violence, acting quality all over the place, but it's still awesome because you get the sense of the actors and film makers are having fun.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Snow on tha Bluff is interesting even though I can't understand more than one word in ten.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Erebus posted:

A kid watching UHF doesn't have to know Conan the Barbarian to find a big warrior working in a library funny.

DON'T YOU KNOW THE DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM??

I love UHF

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol this is crazy talk. Yeah let's show our 7 & 9 year old niece and nephew one of the scariest horror films ever made, their parents will love us for the week of sleepless nights we've given them.

I didn't mean "show American Psycho to your toddler", I meant that it's not some bizarre unheard-of thing that there are kids who can watch sci-fi/horror movies at 8 years old. Like, most kids I knew growing up had watched poo poo like Alien, Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc.

The only thing that scared me growing up was the dark corner of the basement. :ohdear:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Horror movies are best when you're a kid as they're actually scary as poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hemale in pain posted:

Horror movies are best when you're a kid as they're actually scary as poo poo.

Also when you're not supposed to be seeing them, not when Cool Dad sits you down to introduce you to Star Wars or what have you.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I swapped out our baby Beethoven tapes for the audio of Alien to play to our baby in-utero. Start them early, am I right?

Although should I be concerned I'm encouraging a c-section?

Actual relevant anecdote: saw Jaws at 6 at the friend's house whose parents had given up. That jump scare of the dude's floating eye gave me nightmares.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joose Caboose posted:

DON'T YOU KNOW THE DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM??

I love UHF

I watched it with my four year old last week, and he was amused. He wasn't in the room during the Rambo and Conan scenes though. He's got a big problem with watching violence and then acting it out on his friends, so I try to keep him away from that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I swapped out our baby Beethoven tapes for the audio of Alien to play to our baby in-utero. Start them early, am I right?

Although should I be concerned I'm encouraging a c-section?

:laffo:

lost it at this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I was 4 my grandparents took me to a drive-in double feature: Ghost Story and The Blue Lagoon

In retrospect, this explains everything about me.

edit: poo poo yes, WarGames is on Netflix

precision fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 10, 2015

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

knows a black guy posted:

How does The Rocketeer never get any love, ever? That movie ruled when I was a kid, and it rules now that I have my own kids.

I don't get it either. That movie rocks and just this weekend I uncovered my copy of the comics that were released around the same time. They really put a lot of effort into those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The Rocketeer is probably the film that I most lament never getting made into a franchise. Disney was apparently banking on it being their Indiana Jones until the box office results came in.