Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Supgaiz posted:

Seems to be. The only screenshot I had in my library was from 2013 and it showed up in the new album.

Looks like it's just checking for the image dimensions to match the screen resolution. It picked up a bunch of screenshots I took on my iPad, but also a few Nexus 9 screenshots I had downloaded, which are also 2048x1536.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I noticed a few things before installing the beta. I had about 1.9GB free before the install. I did uninstall a few small apps I wasn't really using anyway. I noticed that as part of the installation process it 'cleaned' a bunch of apps. I'm not sure what that was. I'm guessing removing cached data that eats up space. Like how some apps are only a few MB but take up way more once you use it. Guessing it removes that junk.

Anyway, after the install was done, I was up to 4.4GB free. Looks like they've solved some of the weird issues people have had with space 'going missing.'

9 is much smaller than 8.x

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any reports what stability is like?

I'm wary of installing a beta due to years of Android ownership, I really like my new phone as is, but I'll go for it if I can get an ad blocker for Safari like was hyped.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Jose Oquendo posted:

I noticed a few things before installing the beta. I had about 1.9GB free before the install. I did uninstall a few small apps I wasn't really using anyway. I noticed that as part of the installation process it 'cleaned' a bunch of apps. I'm not sure what that was. I'm guessing removing cached data that eats up space. Like how some apps are only a few MB but take up way more once you use it. Guessing it removes that junk.

Anyway, after the install was done, I was up to 4.4GB free. Looks like they've solved some of the weird issues people have had with space 'going missing.'

The cleaning thing also pops up if you try to download a film or app that's bigger than your current free space. I've noticed this a few times since downloading that discount films app, I went from 1.5GB free to about 4GB free when trying to buy Alien.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Craptacular! posted:

Any reports what stability is like?

I'm wary of installing a beta due to years of Android ownership, I really like my new phone as is, but I'll go for it if I can get an ad blocker for Safari like was hyped.

For iPhone it's mostly fine now but there aren't a ton of compelling features that would be worth moving to it at this time. The split screen stuff on iPad is awesome though. That's definitely worth moving to beta for.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I am enjoying the keyboard improvements and the quick switch. If something you are doing opens a different app, you get a little button up top where signal strength is to go back to your previous app. So if you go to a web page from mail you can just hit that button to go back to mail when you're done.

Also it gets rid of newsstand.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I also like the new font. It sorta 'opens up' the look of things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dogen posted:

I am enjoying the keyboard improvements and the quick switch. If something you are doing opens a different app, you get a little button up top where signal strength is to go back to your previous app. So if you go to a web page from mail you can just hit that button to go back to mail when you're done.

Also it gets rid of newsstand.

All it did was replace newsstand with a new app called just News. Lateral move.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Screenshots having their own folder is the best feature of iOS 9.

And selfies

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah, space has always been weird on my phone but I went from ~1.5gb free to 5gb. It's pretty great, I can actually store some music locally without worrying about my phone yelling at me that I have no space :v:

Also looks like they may have improved/optimized iCloud Photo Library a bit; previously I'd be sitting at around 800-900mb stored locally after a fresh start but looking now it's down to 450mb.

There are a few bugs still remaining but it's been pretty stable so far in my experience, the only slightly annoying thing is rotation is sometimes weird when I unlock my phone.

robodex fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I know you're not meant to use the betas on your primary device, but I totally wanna use a beta on my primary device.

Anybody having any problems yet worth scaring me off? I know it hasn't been out long, but if there's been problems already that'd be a good sign that I should wait a bit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know you're not meant to use the betas on your primary device, but I totally wanna use a beta on my primary device.

Anybody having any problems yet worth scaring me off? I know it hasn't been out long, but if there's been problems already that'd be a good sign that I should wait a bit.

So far, not really. the stock Twitter app is a little janky but phone app works, email works, texting works, Music works.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Nah you can use it. This one is pretty decent; a few apps are buggy, but this release is solid overall and late enough (dev beta 3) that the crippling problems like the battery being killed really fast are fixed.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Cool cool. Whenever I get back home after the weekend I'll get my backups done and give this thing a whirl.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My credit unions app doesn't work right, but that's probably on them.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

All it did was replace newsstand with a new app called just News. Lateral move.

If it ends up being anything like Flipboard it'll likely be much better than a lateral move. I love me some Flipboard, and having that Apple polish for its spiritual successor (or blatant ripoff, if you wanna look at it that way) sounds p cool.

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
So I installed the beta last night and everything seemed to work fine for a while. Just a little bit ago I found my phone off and I couldn't turn it back on. Did the whole hold home button and power at same time to boot it back up. This never happened to my phone before, so you might run into this issue, and I hope it's not recurring.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Fireant posted:

So I installed the beta last night and everything seemed to work fine for a while. Just a little bit ago I found my phone off and I couldn't turn it back on. Did the whole hold home button and power at same time to boot it back up. This never happened to my phone before, so you might run into this issue, and I hope it's not recurring.

I had this happen too fyi

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FINALLY. Now when you plug your iPhone into your PC and view its contents in Windows Explorer, your pictures are in one folder instead of a bunch of different folders created seemingly arbitrarily because they're only in one album on your phone.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Any recommendations for keyboards that have swipe functionality? I've used SwiftKey and TouchPal and they both have things I dislike about them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dugong posted:

Any recommendations for keyboards that have swipe functionality? I've used SwiftKey and TouchPal and they both have things I dislike about them.

Swype

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dugong posted:

Nintype. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nintype/id796959534?mt=8

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I didn't like at first that they combined library and playlists into one tab in Podcasts, but it actually works really well (I'm not totally sure there needs to be three tabs for podcast discovery but I'm not exactly sure what else to stick there). The whole app is a lot more visually attractive and abandoning that weird folder view is nice (I know you could pick a view similar to what it is now, but the default was that weird folder view). They also seem to have fixed some very old bugs with manually added podcasts so we're almost back to having the same functionality in the app as when podcasts and music were still a single thing. All I'm looking for is the ability to sort my library alphabetically instead of by (?) and I'd say it's done. The fact that it's not horribly broken this early in the beta is also and unusual accomplishment.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I tried the iOS 9 public beta out of curiosity, and ended up back on 8.4 within an hour. It works, but is definitely a beta. I ran into two bugs within 10 minutes -- one while texting, and the other with spotlight search. If you're only mildly curious like I was, and don't intend on being an actual beta tester, just read this to get up to speed with the new iOS 9 features.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just had my first crash of the beta. I was in landscape mode watching a video, paused it and swiped down to open the notification center. I couldn't swipe it back up. It was stuck on notification center in landscape mode. I couldn't unlock the phone or slide to power off or anything. I had to hold home + power for a few seconds and let it reset. Oh well, I knew what I signed up for when I installed the beta :haw:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'm going to install the beta on my iPad but not my phone. I can deal with bugs on my iPad.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Question about Podcasts in iOS 9: have they finally put in episode artwork compatibility? It's annoying listening to the F Plus and not seeing the awesome episode artwork. :argh:

(It's definitely something to do with the app; the RSS for the podcast and the files themselves both contain artwork)

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

My iphone 4 just died today and I am looking at upgrading to either a 5 or a 5S. The price difference is $110. Any arguments one way or the other? I know I amgoing to be getting a big jump over the 4 either way.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ring of Light posted:

My iphone 4 just died today and I am looking at upgrading to either a 5 or a 5S. The price difference is $110. Any arguments one way or the other? I know I amgoing to be getting a big jump over the 4 either way.

5s is likely to be supported longer and has more horsepower. If you can afford the 110 I'd go for it. But as long as phones are supported now, and along with the fact the 5 is a pretty decent phone it won't make you unhappy I don't think.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ring of Light posted:

5S also has TouchID, a feature that seems silly at first but maaaaan its nice to have.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh yeah, good point. My work phone is a 5c and not having touchid suckssss once you are used to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TouchID and 64-bit are absolutely worth the extra $110 especially since you seem like someone who keeps their phone for a long time.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Endless Mike posted:

TouchID and 64-bit are absolutely worth the extra $110 especially since you seem like someone who keeps their phone for a long time.

Having said that, it's hard to see why you would choose to get a 5S instead of a 6, even given the cost savings, particularly as someone who wants to keep their phone a long while.

Separately, is anyone else thinking about selling their 6 as we get closer to a new iPhone model? I think reselling seems like a really cost-effective way to be able to have the newest technology, but I've always been too slow on the uptake and kept my tech juuuuust long enough to kill its resale value to the point of it not being worth it to sell.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Separately, is anyone else thinking about selling their 6 as we get closer to a new iPhone model?
I flip mine every year because I can still usually get $500 out of my phone.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I flip mine every year because I can still usually get $500 out of my phone.

Do you have a second phone or something, how do you manage the continuity?

Quite a few of my friends trade phones pretty often, I'm always afraid that I'll never find a legit buyer for as much as I want for it. Do you ebay it, swappa or what?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Do you have a second phone or something, how do you manage the continuity?

Quite a few of my friends trade phones pretty often, I'm always afraid that I'll never find a legit buyer for as much as I want for it. Do you ebay it, swappa or what?
Previous years I had a temporary phone, but in recent years I just waited until after the launch of the new device. Value doesn't drop very much between the two periods, and if I remember correctly, some sites like Gazelle would let you lock in a price ahead of time that was good for like 2 weeks. Just sell it wherever you get the most money. I've done SA-Mart, Craigslist, coworkers, and directly to Amazon.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Having said that, it's hard to see why you would choose to get a 5S instead of a 6, even given the cost savings, particularly as someone who wants to keep their phone a long while.

I use ting so I dont get the upfront phone cost savings of using a major carrier but the trade off is my husband and I get service for two smartphones for less than $50 a month. The cost difference between a refurbed 5S and the full price for a new out of contract 6 is huge. Software support had me convinced it was time to upgrade and was planning to in the spring when the 6S came out and 6's hit the used market. However hardware has forced my hand. Paying nearly $700 for a new phone will probably never be in my budget especially when I can get lightly used for half the price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Separately, is anyone else thinking about selling their 6 as we get closer to a new iPhone model? I think reselling seems like a really cost-effective way to be able to have the newest technology, but I've always been too slow on the uptake and kept my tech juuuuust long enough to kill its resale value to the point of it not being worth it to sell.
This is a wait and see year for me. I'm not really sure what all they can put into the next iPhone that will make it seem worthwhile. Force Touch is neat, but not new phone neat. I have a feeling my iPhone 6 might actually last me awhile.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

This is a wait and see year for me. I'm not really sure what all they can put into the next iPhone that will make it seem worthwhile. Force Touch is neat, but not new phone neat. I have a feeling my iPhone 6 might actually last me awhile.
I say this every year, then I check to see how much my current phone is selling for and say "eh, why the hell not?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
:toxx: if I get rid of my 6+ anytime before 12/22/2018 (4 years from purchase date)