Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mega64 posted:

It would've been a fantastic touch if the SFX spells actually did damage to Steiner because he's dumb enough to believe they're attacking him with actual magic.

Instead, he mocks you for attacking him with special effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mega64 posted:

Tents have an interesting secondary use in this game that I'm sure will come up sooner or later.

I know where I always made use of this! Maybe you will too if you don't grind.

Man, I quit my latest replay of this game right before the final dungeon for some reason and now I really want to play it again. Perhaps one day it'll end up playable on PS4. :sigh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Another useful thing is you can press Select to get more information on, well, anything. Beast Killer does 150% damage to beast-type enemies. Zidane also gets Protect Girls, which takes damage for girls if their HP is below 50% of max, and Flee-Gil, which nets you 10% of the gil you would've run from an encounter if you run away normally (L1 + R1, not the Flee ability).

The game doesn't make this readily apparent, but Beast Killer (and other "killer" type passives) only affect the Attack command. Special actions that do damage won't be affected.

quote:

You can also get information on weapons and armor, which is handy for looking up stuff like elemental defenses. Silk Shirts reduce Thunder damage by 50%! That might actually be useful!

That tooltip isn't just flavor text. You actually take 50% more damage from fire while wearing a silk shirt. There's other equipment in the game that has similar properties, but without the tooltip. Although those are mostly mage robes which have very high magic defense, so you probably won't notice it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love that instead of a "help" button, FFIX has an "ask Mog" button.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Fedule posted:

I love that instead of a "help" button, FFIX has an "ask Mog" button.

You absolutely cannot fault this game for not having tons of charm. Every single little aspect of this game is so very FFIX.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I found out the hard way that a spell Zidane gets in Trance mode is an AOE and can kill the plant AND Garnet. Never made that mistake again.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

FeyerbrandX posted:

I've always internalized queen Brahe's voice like Captain N's Mother Brain. Kind of look similar too.

I always imagined Ed Asner as Granny Goodness.

I also "cast" Tim Allen as Steiner due to the slight resemblance to Buzz Lightyear.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"Why are you glowing?"
"Oh, it's just a thing that happens sometimes. Then I can do crazy magic poo poo."
"That's prolly Trance."
"K."

I love video games.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Ugh, Trance. The biggest annoyance about it is that if it activates and you end a battle without using all of it up, it STILL goes all the way down to 0. This leads to situations where you have one character select an attack, the sole monster left attacks immediately after you pick your action and hits a character with a nearly-full Trance gauge, activates their Trance, then your attack goes off and ends the battle, completely wasting the Trance and all the time the character spent building it up.

This happens far more frequently than you'd think, and it never fails to be infuriating.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I never had any problems with Trance. As mentioned it's pretty much just a nice bonus when you get it, so even if it's "wasted" you're not losing anything major and the game is pretty easy so it's not like you need it.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

And we are at the kidnapping number 2.

I wonder if that's used more often than someone fainting as a plot device. I don't think being thrown off an airship really counts for that though.

EDIT: no wait, there go Vivi and Steiner, 2 and 1

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Plus, even if you do trigger Trance in a boss fight, usually you still won't be doing anything with it because you haven't finished stealing yet.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Speaking of stealing, I'm just about to fight Hilgigars in my current playthrough.

Most of you that have played through disc 2 probably have eyes twitching right about now. This is always the worst fight. :sigh:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Bufuman posted:

Speaking of stealing, I'm just about to fight Hilgigars in my current playthrough.

Most of you that have played through disc 2 probably have eyes twitching right about now. This is always the worst fight. :sigh:

That was the first boss with the 1/256 chance of stealing[ his fourth item right?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I've never had a problem with IX's ability system since most items have added bonuses that make them worth using even if they don't have the highest defenses. I can see it annoying people with severe boners for mashing the optimize button every time they get new equipment though. Tales of Vesperia also has a very similar system.

The ATE system is yet another thing I wish more games had. Optional scenes that rewards you with world flavor and now and then, items for watching them.

Edit: I've spent hours trying to steal Hilgigar's rarest item before getting it, it's not worth it at all since you get the item not that long after that boss anyway. The other boss with the super rare drop is even worse though since you're on a timer and I don't think save scumming works. That item is not worth stealing either but you won't get it until a disc later.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Brony Hunter posted:

That was the first boss with the 1/256 chance of stealing[ his fourth item right?

Aye. Well, technically the second; the first is the boss at the end of Burmecia, who I probably shouldn't name even in spoilers, but that one only has a Mythril Sword that you can buy in the very next town (plus the fight is on a time limit with a ton of dialog before it, so trying to grab the sword is just not worth it at all). The boss I'm fighting has a weapon that I normally won't be able to get for several hours and has some good abilities attached to it.

EDIT: I got it! Only took about 40 minutes too! That's a new record, I think.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 10, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is the story of a youth scared shitless of self-improvement. He sought every available means to circumvent having life experiences and faced any hardship as long as he never grew from them.

This is the story of playing FF9 at level 1.

Bosses in FFIX do not give experience points. It is only random encounters and certain forced battles that do. Until the end of disc 3 it is possible to duck out of gaining levels and even then, 3 of the 8 party members can be used to soak that up and let the rest do the work. The end result is every boss battle will be fought with level 1 characters. The strains of never gaining levels quickly becomes apparent as not only is the party very fragile due to their tiny HP totals, but they have trouble with innocuous things due to tiny Spirit stats.

But all in due time.

Maybe this is a more accurate romanization of his Japanese name? I don't know really, I'm just renaming these guys.

This Mage Masher is incredibly valuable because it's quite a while until the next one. 12 to 14 attack may not seem like much, but consider that the damage formula in this game uses attack-defense, and that most enemies have exactly 10 defense. It goes from 2 to 4, a doubling.

Attack is the biggest factor in making people who don't agree with you politicially no longer alive, so don't be shocked at normal people numbers when they start appearing.

Anyway Tantalus infiltrates the castle on their secret mission: this lady keeps posting about fat acceptance on facebook and we want her to stop but we don't want to block her 'cause it'd be real awkward to explain why to her.

I'm pretty sure that putting the battle speed to plaid will make my life harder, but whatev's. I'm keeping the gray color scheme to make my screenshots unique from Mega64's, besides the level 1 thing and silly name things I need something to keep my identity.

You can't dodge Puck. He will go out of his way to collide with you.

Oh boy our first card!

Not omnidirectional. Reset.

Just kidding. While we'll want a good set of cards by early disc 3 to win the Battle City Tournament, these early things are all but irrelevant to that goal.

A lot of your cards come from random encounters. This'll be tricky.

When it comes to random poo poo, I'll post it if it's notable in some way to this challenge. Otherwise, roll a 1d10. On 2-10 assume that I got it and that I am smart and handsome and good at video games. On a 1 assume I missed it like a clod.

Important to level 1 games are stores, because a lot of your cash normally comes from random encounters.

So instead I'll be selling phoenix pinions, until suddenly they become the most valuable things in the universe and it becomes imperative that I get 99.

Yep.

Rats.

If you can do this then it might be worth it for the cards but still.

Spec Ops: The Line wasn't the first video game to examine the nature of progress requiring the player to inflict tragedy.

That was Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

According to Ultimania or somesuch Vivi got his fake ticket from a moogle wearing a hat. Stiltzkin is the only Moogle I know like that.

The fucker.

I'll be making a ton of saves because I am paranoid of screwing things up. As long as you don't miss big things it should be fine if you miss an ether here or there.

I don't think there are birds in ff9 as these nests contain money and not birds.

pakalupapito is a great twitter account. Maybe I'll rename someone Wint.

This lady is totally thinking "ew, poors".

AND THAT'S WHEN THE OXYCOTON KICKED IN

CAST MEDEO AT ALL TIMES

So the swordfight. I am bad at it. I have the reflexes of a sloth.

Okay so maybe I can do a little better...

Eh it'll do. If you can get 100 then do it then realize level 1 games are pains in the asses and just do a normal playthrough with your 10k extra gil and eat extravagantly.

It looks like cold porridge for me instead!

:geno:

I was told to call him this because his armor looks like tin and he looks like Hank Hill.

Killer abilities increase regular attack damage by 50% and don't stack if the enemy has more than one category. Still useful as it turns 2 attacks into the damage of 3, and when most of the team's turns are spent on damage control I need boosts to whatever damage I can sneak in.

Lady why are you handing me clothing are you feeling okay?

Anyway finding all the knights is important regardless of level.

This is the better option than the one Mega64 took, even if he runs off crying anyway.

Elixirs are very valuable and I'll actually use them, breaking all conventions of JRPG playing.

Ruby's personality is so forceful she'll make Zidane jump off the stairs so she can block Zidane from the stairs.

This isn't the same shirt I just got from Brahne. She gave Tinhank a shirt he already had.

CAST MEDEO

AT ALL TIMES

Anyway, this is just the preamble. Nothing in the intro actually gives experience points. Besides selling the Pinion none of this is particularly odd. Next update is when avoiding levels actually means weird things happen.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ah, FF9, fuckin love this game despite not having played it in a few years. I really should though. Also, the rat people, Burmecians, are probably my favorite of the fantasy races in this game despite not a lot happening with them besides things that I dare not spoiler. The Dragoon (here a Dragon Knight) is also probably one of my favorites despite the plot pretty much dropping her story about half-way through

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that sucks at getting a full 100 Impressed Nobles. I used to be able to do it after a ton of tries, but either I'm getting older and slower or playing on a PS3 makes it harder, because I just couldn't do it this time. I got 98 a few times and 99 once, but never 100. After an hour or two, I said "gently caress it" and downloaded a save off GameFAQs that had 100 impressed nobles (and Jump Rope King, but I don't really care about that one).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A thing that could've been cool is a mechanic that combines Trance and MP. It's what I'd use if I wound up having to remake FF9.

It'd be nifty. As you take damage (or other configurable circumstances a la FFX) the meter builds. You use the meter to cast spells and use abilities. If the meter fills up you can activate Trance like a limit break, or just use more expensive abilities. However, if you take damage with a full meter then Trance is activated for you.

As a bonus this would be entirely in keeping with the observations made in-game about Trance. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is, I see what they were going for but there would have been much better ways to do it.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

A thing that could've been cool is a mechanic that combines Trance and MP. It's what I'd use if I wound up having to remake FF9.

It'd be nifty. As you take damage (or other configurable circumstances a la FFX) the meter builds. You use the meter to cast spells and use abilities. If the meter fills up you can activate Trance like a limit break, or just use more expensive abilities. However, if you take damage with a full meter then Trance is activated for you.

As a bonus this would be entirely in keeping with the observations made in-game about Trance. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is, I see what they were going for but there would have been much better ways to do it.

Sounds just like the IP system in Lufia 2, minus any extra abilities for having a full meter.

I played FFIX finally for the first time back in February. Made it right to the end, did almost all sidequests, got wiped by a boss and just stopped playing. Combined with a bunch of other external factors, I never finished. This LP has inspired me to finish since I'm literally in the last dungeon and it shouldn't take more than two or three hours.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fedule posted:

Wild Arms 2 says hi.

Anyway, I really like how this game uses its stage aesthetic to good comedic effect.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Glazius posted:

Wild Arms 2 says hi.

Anyway, I really like how this game uses its stage aesthetic to good comedic effect.

Wild Arms 3's system is much the same. The system isn't without its flaws, though. Namely, the requiring of a certain level of Force to use your abilities. Everyone has super-cool moves that they can only use at 100 FP and completely wipes it all out, but using them will leave that character unable to use their Arcana abilities (which also requires them to be at a certain level of FP, but does not actually consume it) until they get their FP back. The physical characters don't mind this so much since they can fall back on Attacks without being left helpless, but spellcaster-types like Lilka, Tim, Virginia and Gallows are practically useless for at least the next round or two.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never had a problem with Trance. Most of the abilities are relatively more powerful than previous Limit Breaks. Especially considering that the maximun HP anything in this game has is 65,535. I have no idea why it's that low when even Final Fantasy VI gave you one with 70,000. If you could activate your entire party's Trance's at once, nothing at all would stand a chance.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have no idea why it's that low when even Final Fantasy VI gave you one with 70,000.

Everything in FF6 is stuck at 65535 cap, too, though the highest value you ever chop through is Doom at 63,000. Nothing in FF4 or 5 break 65535 either, though Zeromus fakes it by sneakily restoring his HP to full if it falls between 16k and 12k.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could have sworn Kefka had 70K. My bad.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There's really nothing in vanilla FF6 that loops its HP if you bring it down to 0? It's definitely possible to do that if you wanted to.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Alxprit posted:

There's really nothing in vanilla FF6 that loops its HP if you bring it down to 0? It's definitely possible to do that if you wanted to.

Kaiser and Omega in the remakes, IIRC.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I never had a big problem with the ability learning system in this game. You tend to be able to learn most skills from several items, and if you insist on grinding out each one at the earliest opportunity, you run into a pretty long lull about midway through the game where you aren't learning any skills at all because all the new weapons and armor you get just reteach skills you already have. So it's really not worth using really bad old equipment just so you can learn a skill, usually.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I never had a problem with Trance. Most of the abilities are relatively more powerful than previous Limit Breaks. Especially considering that the maximun HP anything in this game has is 65,535. I have no idea why it's that low when even Final Fantasy VI gave you one with 70,000. If you could activate your entire party's Trance's at once, nothing at all would stand a chance.

HP totals in this game are so low because you're limited to one-hit attacks in this one, much like you were in FF4. FF5 and 6 started adding in powerful attacks that can hit multiple times, but it wasn't until FF7 and 8 that they really started bringing in the Completely loving Overpowered multi-hit attacks like Omnislash or Lionheart that pretty much required them to start going past the 65536 cap and six and even seven digit HP bosses. FF9 was meant as a return to classic Final Fantasy, hence the simpler attacks and boss Hit Points.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing that people miss sometimes is that entering Trance will clear status effects on the character. However, the Trance effect doesn't provide immunity to status effects. So you could get into the situation of entering Trance right before the enemy throws a status effect on you.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thing I liked later on was your magic and trance abilities weren't nullified by your base damage. Like, maybe I was a really bad player, but I don't recall ever hitting a single target with a normal attack for more than 3500 even in the final dungeon. You can still hit the damage cap (9999) with spells (certain ways of using them... Which the lp will get to) and trance attacks though. That was nice.

By the endgame in 7 I was always hitting for 9999 with normal attacks and it really invalidated anything else.

I was also really bad because I didn't level all the characters so there's a fight later on that I always, always, had to grind out a trance for. I'd edge it right to the last hit then go into the fight to end it quickly.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The thing I liked later on was your magic and trance abilities weren't nullified by your base damage. Like, maybe I was a really bad player, but I don't recall ever hitting a single target with a normal attack for more than 3500 even in the final dungeon. You can still hit the damage cap (9999) with spells (certain ways of using them... Which the lp will get to) and trance attacks though. That was nice.

Oh yea. Love those abilities. Don't love how you max out a couple of them though. Eating all the frogs forever and grinding out like...what? 99+ dragons for the other? Thankfully, a couple of them you'll likely max out through play. Zidane's immediately comes to mind, maxing out over the course of successful steals you get. Which is easy as gently caress if you're deciding to steal rare items from trash mobs.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kemix posted:

Oh yea. Love those abilities. Don't love how you max out a couple of them though. Eating all the frogs forever and grinding out like...what? 99+ dragons for the other? Thankfully, a couple of them you'll likely max out through play. Zidane's immediately comes to mind, maxing out over the course of successful steals you get. Which is easy as gently caress if you're deciding to steal rare items from trash mobs.

Dragon Crest (the one built up by killing dragons is easier to build up than you'd think, given that there's a dragon monster that gives out a ton of experience and is extremely easy to kill with a certain ability, making it one of the best monsters in the game to grind on. And Steiner can get a powerful attack that's an easy 9999 right from the get-go. Vivi can also hit the damage cap easily enough thanks to his ReflectX2 ability, especially if you slap Auto-Reflect on everyone. So really, over half the main cast can hit the damage cap, and the rest have powerful attacks that can at least approach it.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Dragon Crest (the one built up by killing dragons is easier to build up than you'd think, given that there's a dragon monster that gives out a ton of experience and is extremely easy to kill with a certain ability, making it one of the best monsters in the game to grind on.
That one was actually hitting the damage cap as soon as I got access to it, for some reason. I'd been intending to grind it, but I guess I somehow already killed a hundred dragons without noticing? :shrug:

The frog one seems to take forever though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kemix posted:

I've never actually seen that last one reach the damage cap or anything close to it. It seems like way more of an investment than frogs or dragons.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've never actually seen that last one reach the damage cap or anything close to it. It seems like way more of an investment than frogs or dragons.

You basically have to already know it exists and start doing Steal in literally every battle. Even then it might not be good enough. Mine was pretty weak, and I wanted to grind it out but it was impossible to stay patient enough for it.

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.
Oh man, FFIX. I didn't have a Playstation as a kid so the first time I played it was two years ago (I just remember kid-me thinking Steiner was a lady because of his luscious eyelashes,) but it's now one of my favourite games ever. As several people mentioned before it's just... charming. It's a very well-thought-out game, if you exclude a few hiccups like Trance being basically useless. I do like the ability system though but I guess I'm in the minority.
Part of me wished it'd get a remake to fix a few things (and maybe give the last few party members more of a role- I like everyone but I inevitably end up with a Zidane-Garnet-Vivi-Steiner party) but at the same time I'm not sure I'd trust current-day Squeenix with it.

Also that was a few pages back but I think the "Steiner got his job by beating Beatrix in a duel but it was a fluke" think is part truth and part speculation, though I might be wrong. All I know is that it was never mentioned in-game and that it comes from the Ultimania. The only translation I found online just says that he beat her in a duel but not that he bumbled his way through it, which actually fits better with how I see Steiner: legitimately competent, but keeps sabotaging himself by being a stubborn oaf. :allears:
Of course he joins at a low level like everyone else, but I like to imagine he's just a bit... rusty.

(More seriously though, if anyone's interested in the translated ultimania timeline this is where I found it (SPOILERS obviously): http://www.quad9dyne.com/translations/ff9_timeline.html )

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FOREST NOISES

So, Vivi and Steiner? They're both alright, of coures.

Some of the monsters in this forest reproduce by planting seeds in other animals. And when the seeds sprout, it's hasta la vista: you become beef jerky.
Um... A-Am I gonna die?
No. You're gonna be fine. Here, drink this. It'll remove all the seeds from your body.

-----

The princess...is in grave danger! Do you intend to ABANDON HER!?
You're in no condition.
Don't worry about the princess. The boss'll think of something.

Get some rest.
Yeah, and take that medicine I gave you.

The princess's life rests in my hands. What can their boss possibly accomplish!?

<Huff-huff-heave-heave.>

God help me!

-----

Monsters born out of the Mist are crawlin' everywhere.
So what? There's nothing out there we can't handle.
Yeah, but what are we gonna do about the wounded?
We can take 'em with us.
How are we gonna carry all of them? Trust me. We go out now, and we'll all get wasted.

We're gonna stay put 'til everyone recovers. You better not set one foot outside this ship. You got that!?
I can't believe you're abandoning her! You're nothing but a big coward!

And with that, we've got control of Zidane. If we talk to Baku again...

Bronze Gloves are heavy armor, which Steiner can use. They teach Antibody, which gives Poison immunity.

Now that I've explained the ability system, I'll cover what each new piece of equipment will teach certain characters. Note this does not include characters we haven't met yet.

We've got several more ATE events to go through.

First, let's check in on Steiner.

The structure is in poor condition. Perhaps I can break out by ramming into the wall.

I'm still not feeling well...

H-How dare they write the princess's name on such a ragged doll!? Besides, the princess is not 15! She's 16!

FOREST NOISES

The next one's pretty short.

Looks like Ruby was forgotten in that whole escape plan mess.

This one unlocks after viewing Steiner's ATE.

Huh...? drat! Where is it!?

Man. How am I supposed to sleep now...?

Poor little doll... The fire probably caught it.

That's all the ATEs for now. Let's continue exploring the ruined ship.

Another Wrist. The only thing it teaches is Flee-Gil, which only Zidane and one future character can learn.

Why don't you go see him? I think he wants to thank you.

Not before we loot an Ether and some gil first.

Th-Thank you for helping me.
Ah, don't mention it. Besides, it was your black magic that saved the day. You know, you've got some major power for such a little guy.

What's wrong...? Are you peeved at me because I called you little? Hey, you're a great mage with great powers, alright?

I'm sorry. When that monster caught her, I couldn't do anything...
Hey, don't worry about the princess. I'll get her back. I promise.
Thank you, Mr. Zidane.
Whoa, that's the first time anyone's called me "Mr." Just call me Zidane, alright?

So Vivi's a bit unsure of himself. Hell, Zidane might be the first guy to ever say something encouraging to him.

Maybe I shouldn't have made that promise. I don't even know if I'll be able to find her...

I never felt so strange...

I can't explain it...

FOREST NOISES

This is Zidane. He pretty much sees himself a rogueish hero who wants to save the day. Plus, this quest is to rescue a beautiful woman.

I don't think much changes if Zidane decides not to go, but that's not an option because that's not what Zidane would do. Zidane would play the hero.

I'm gonna take that knight and the black mage to find the princess.
You're crazy! Man, you don't even know what's out there. Besides, there's no way the boss'll allow that.
I know...
Sheez... Why do you always gotta play hero? The boss is gonna kill you.

Our quest now is to hand in our two-week notice now that've we got a new job in rescuing princesses. Beats our current job of pretending to rescue princesses.

He fusses a little from time to time, but he hasn't been all that bad.

There's another Ether in this room. The game throws them at you at this point.

The Rubber Helm is a helmet for Steiner that obviously halves lightning damage and boosts magic defense. It can teach Steiner Minus Strike, a classic FF staple move which deals (Max HP - Current HP) damage. It's not that great considering Steiner can usually beat that with other attacks even at critical health.

We've already got a Leather Hat. It teaches Fire, which would be nice if Vivi's default weapon didn't already teach it. On the other hand, if you've got two different items with the same ability equipped, you learn that ability twice as fast. So it'd be nice if Vivi would get a new staff or helmet anytime soon. Otherwise, it's a nice defense bonus for light-armor wearers.

Anyway, let's get this over with.

Took you long enough... I fell asleep, darn it.

Gwahaha! I didn't ask you why! I can't blame you, though. She's drat beautiful. I guess that's reason enough!

...Alright.
Okay, get your butt over to the cargo room. We got more room there.

In order to quit our job, we have to kill our boss.

So, Baku.

He can do good damage, as high as 40 on a lucky hit. He can also waste turns face-planting.

Of course, he also has good items to steal.

This isn't what we want, though it doesn't hurt.

You'll want to use Potions for this fight unless you're ignoring his steals and have the Mage Masher. The regular daggers won't let you take him out fast enough. As long as you don't have hoarder instincts though you should be fine.

Eventually we get what we're after, the Iron Sword. This weapon for Steiner also can teach him Minus Strike.

After that, it's a matter of wearing him down.

FOREST NOISES

drat, that hurt! He pulled his punches 'til that last one.

I unlocked the door to storage, so you're free to go talk to that knight.

Now that we've successfully been fired, let's go recruit our team for our new business venture.

Silence! A scoundrel like you could never understand! I'm just overwhelmed with concern for the princess! If only you rogues hadn't kidnapped her... This is all your fault! If anything should happen to the princess, I will have your head!

I'm gonna go look for her now. I'll let you come with me if you promise to be good.

Captain? I figured you were a private, what with that cheap, rusty armor...

I just wanna save Garnet.
Hmph...! You had better not be lying! Because if you are, I won't hesitate to kill you!
Yeah, yeah. I'm counting on you, Rusty.
Make no mistake. I'm only going with you to rescue the princess! I will deal with you personally when this is over!
...Whatever.

I really love the dynamic between Zidane and Steiner, where Steiner is sternly lecturing and berating Zidane for his rogueish ways while Zidane barely bothers to even acknowledge his rantings while poking fun at him all the while. It really adds an air of lightheartedness to the proceedings.

The game wouldn't have half its charm this early on if Steiner wasn't around for the other characters to play off of.

Why are you calling him "Master"?
You fool. That black mage has uinimaginable powers... I don't want to get him involved, but alas, it can't be helped. We need Master Vivi's powers to rescue the princess.
Alright, let's go talk to Vivi.

I also really love Steiner's admiration for Vivi. I pretty much love everything involving Steiner, honestly. He's goofy and kinda dense but is also actually competent and loyal to a fault.

Seriously why does this ship have so many Ethers.

I don't know why the boss was laughing afterwards... Maybe you hit him too hard.

Next up is Vivi.

Really!? That's great! Be careful, okay?
Actually, we want you to come with us, too.
Huh!? B-But I can't do anything.
Hardly, Master Vivi. Your magic was highly effective against that monster.

B-But...I'm scared. I couldn't even move last time.
Please, Master Vivi. For the sake of Princess Garnet and all of Alexandria, I humbly request your assistance!
Come on! You're a black mage, for crying out loud! Show us what you've got!

...Okay. I'll...try my best.
Thank you, Master Vivi.

After Zidane leaves...

Yeah?
It's about your black magic. I wish to try an experiment.

Each character has two special abilities, like Zidane with Steal and then his thief skills, or Vivi with Black Magic and Focus. Steiner has Sword Arts to do stuff like Minus Strike, and his secondary is Magic Sword, which only shows up if Vivi is in the same party. It's similar to FF5's Mystic Knight, where Vivi casts a spell on Steiner's sword and it does boosted damage if the enemy is weak to that element, in addition to a slight offense boost depending on the spell. It's a straight-up attack though instead of an effect that lasts the entire battle, but combined with Steiner's already-impressive offense and it becomes pretty powerful.

I go ahead and give Steiner his Iron Sword, which gives him a nice offense boost. His base sword teaches Beast Killer, so I have him learn it from the Moonstone instead. Steiner is all about the passives, with his gear teaching the likes of Beast Killer, Bird Killer, Bug Killer, and Antibody.

The Leather Wrist we got earlier teaches Ice, and the Silk Shirt teaches Thunder. Thus we've already got the three base elements covered, though they aren't too necessary right now since Fire will take us a long way considering we're fighting forest enemies and all.

Better keep yer eyes peeled. I'm countin' on you to find the princess!

Now to head out!

I can't sit around knowing a girl's in trouble. Goes against my nature.
Whatever. You're full of crap.

You're jealous that I'm gonna get me a sweetie pie.
Pshhh... She's not even my type.

You're always thinking about me...but I won't need a love potion to reel this one in.
Why don't you get your mind off girls for a second?

Cool. This'll really come in handy.
Why am I always helping you...?

Oh yeah. Here's a little tip from the boss.

Hey, Blank, how do you set abilities again?
Man, how can you forget? It's so basic.

Thanks, Blank. I'll see you when I see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

Flee-Gil, which nets you 10% of the gil you would've run from an encounter if you run away normally

In other news, I commend your decision to stick with the original names. (Much as I was looking forward to "no no no, where I come from 'Kike' is a perfectly innocent word")

• Locked thread