Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I just caught that shark pick with my 4th cast, ever.

I've beaten the eye of cthulhu for the first time ever, got half a set of gold armour, an undertaker gun (what is that using for ammo?) , a grapple and really fast boots that make train noises.

What should I be tackling next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Undertaker uses musket balls, which probably put themselves into one of your ammo slots. You can buy more from the arms dealer, who will move into a free house now that you own at least one gun. Next you should probably keep smashing those throbbing hearts that you got the Undertaker from until something exciting happens.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 10, 2015

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I like the concept of the traveling merchant just as a way to finally spend all that money you accumulate in this game. It seems they even upped the amount collected by various means to help even out how overpriced his items can be. On the subject of the traveling merchant, are all the accessories he sells that can be tinkered with and combined useful? I know useful can be a bit of a blanket term and I can see if I was building the one that incorporates all the building enhancers or the pda can be useful but really only from a quality of life standpoint, not from a progression standpoint.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
the laser drill loving owns

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
How terrible an idea was it to make a roof of ebonstone on my house without a nightmare pick? Am I going to get corruption mob spawns?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you turned it into brick you will be fine. Otherwise, well, you will be in for some fun.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
You could always blow it up!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think a small amount of ebonstone is gonna do anything other than potentially mess with NPC housing if they are close to it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you haven't killed the wall of flesh yet, ebonstone doesn't spread corruption. If you have, it still has to be within 3 tiles of another corruptible block (stone, grass, sand) in order to spread corruption. If it can't spread, there has to be at least 200 blocks of it for the area to be considered a corruption biome.

None of these dangers apply to ebonstone bricks, which are just decorative blocks that don't infect and aren't considered corrupted in any way.

Since you don't even have a nightmare pick, I'm going to assume you haven't killed the wall, so the only thing you'll have to put up with is NPCs refusing to live in the house until you get a pick and replace the roof.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
So are gem hooks supposed to be unusable after you restart terraria? It's happened on two different ones to me so far, neither of them will do anything now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So the fall damage from Medusa's petrification can actually be negated if you use a Featherfall potion. Guess that's one way to make them still relevant.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the fall damage from Medusa's petrification can actually be negated if you use a Featherfall potion. Guess that's one way to make them still relevant.

What about sunglasses? :) Do those give any protection?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Kinetica posted:

So are gem hooks supposed to be unusable after you restart terraria? It's happened on two different ones to me so far, neither of them will do anything now.

That happened to me too, I was just about to ask about it

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

XkyRauh posted:

What about sunglasses? :) Do those give any protection?

Unfortunately, no. Very sad, I know.

Know what the next patch needs? A mirror shield.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or just a drat "shut your eyes" button that blacks out the screen and you can flail around until she's dead and then open your eyes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Medusas shouldn't be able to petrify you unless they're in a minimum amount of light since you can't see them. Hunter Potions don't count because you're not observing them directly.

Medusas were improved significantly in the latest patch though.

Anal Surgery posted:

That happened to me too, I was just about to ask about it

Do either of you folks getting these bizarre reloading-your-world-breaks-things bugs have your characters or worlds on the Steam Cloud? I've never had any issues, and I'm wondering if it's because I have my stuff stored locally, and whether I should be intentionally keeping it that way.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or just a drat "shut your eyes" button that blacks out the screen and you can flail around until she's dead and then open your eyes.

No, no, no. We need to humiliate them by turning their petrification back against them.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
To play it safer, would you find just as much ore and other supplies by just digging down and making your own mine as opposed to finding a cave system and following it?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

To play it safer, would you find just as much ore and other supplies by just digging down and making your own mine as opposed to finding a cave system and following it?

You'll run into way more good stuff in a generated cave system. If you bring a spelunker potion you might do okay tunneling straight down and then headings towards the ores you find but I'd recommend manning up in the caves.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it possible to turn off the visual of the Celestial Shell turning you into a werewolf? The stats are really nice but I'd like to see my armor at night. Making the accessory itself invisible doesn't seem to work.

Eric the Mauve posted:

She only petrifies you if you're facing her. Turn around when she does the animation and you won't be affected.

EDIT: Does the Stylist only spawn on Hardmode? I've went to my (fairly small) spider nest on my world multiple times and haven't been able to find her.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 10, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I don't think so, especially if it's early game and your pick takes a while to dig through stone.

It's maybe okay if you have a fast enough pickaxe and spelunker potions to see ores inside the walls, but you're still going to see a lot fewer golden chests and cool loot.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Oh my lord if you craft 3996 arrows or musket balls together near a crystal ball you get something truly marvelous.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Xenaero posted:

Oh my lord if you craft 3996 arrows or musket balls together near a crystal ball you get something truly marvelous.

It's not really that marvelous outside of very early hardmode if you've got a Bee's Knees or something, since basic ammo sucks.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's pretty good for sitting inside a house on a blood moon with a stormbow and just holding down the button.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Even on expert hardmode it's pretty good for saving your good ammo for bosses and just using the pouch for adventuring.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Does the Stylist only spawn on Hardmode? I've went to my (fairly small) spider nest on my world multiple times and haven't been able to find her.

There are numerous spider nests even in a small world. She's not *always* around but she usually is; keep looking around and you'll find her. She's available right from the beginning of the game (making her and the Angler I believe technically the first two NPCs other than the guide that you can obtain in a new world, although practically a new character can't survive a spider nest.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What weapon should I put in the middle of this treasure room? It need to be sufficiently gaudy but I can't think of anything good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are numerous spider nests even in a small world. She's not *always* around but she usually is; keep looking around and you'll find her. She's available right from the beginning of the game (making her and the Angler I believe technically the first two NPCs other than the guide that you can obtain in a new game, although practically a new character can't survive a spider nest.)

She can also spawn inside a spider biome you've visited before even if she wasn't there the first time. I was digging a hell shaft that went past a spider cave I had already cleared and she was just sitting there.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What weapon should I put in the middle of this treasure room? It need to be sufficiently gaudy but I can't think of anything good.

Catch a duck and lock it in there.

Whoo-hoo.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

She can also spawn inside a spider biome you've visited before even if she wasn't there the first time. I was digging a hell shaft that went past a spider cave I had already cleared and she was just sitting there.

Both Starfury (and the better Hardmode version of it) and Excalibur / True Excalibur are both very large and very shiny. Starfury is giant and pink and has a star on it, too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Excalibur is what comes to mind for me. Or maybe the enchanted boomerang, a jeweled staff, a diamond robe, crystal vile shard, an extra pwnhammer,or Starfury.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is it possible to self host a terraria server if it's just 1-3 people going to be on the server?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

Is it possible to self host a terraria server if it's just 1-3 people going to be on the server?

My friend and I play on a two person server he hosts.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Holyshoot posted:

Sure! Just launch TerrariaServer in the game folder.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah gently caress, I was trying to copy some designs in the thread and I lost one of the pictures. Someone posted a picture of their living wood home for the Dryad with a bunch of pots sitting inside of it.

Can anyone find it?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Does gear with % not to consume ammo stack additively or is it multiplicitive?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What program are people using to take screenshots of large areas?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

RareAcumen posted:

Ah gently caress, I was trying to copy some designs in the thread and I lost one of the pictures. Someone posted a picture of their living wood home for the Dryad with a bunch of pots sitting inside of it.

Can anyone find it?

Not the one you're looking for, but here's mine!

Although now it appears the game deleted my most current save and thus all the work I put into my artificial jungle biome. Good think Tedit just updated I guess!

The Moon Monster posted:

What program are people using to take screenshots of large areas?

We're using the snapshot feature in-game. It's the little camera icon near where you can switch between your accesory slots and mount/pet/hook slots.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

RareAcumen posted:

Can anyone find it?

Maybe it's this one?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Anyone else in multiplayer getting bugs with the expert mode boss bags? We were catching a friend up and the wall of flesh dropped a bag with nothing in it for me, then we killed the twins and 3/4 of us got no bags at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Metrohunter posted:

Does gear with % not to consume ammo stack additively or is it multiplicitive?

iirc it's additive, but there's a cap anyway (60-75%?).