Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

WTFBEES posted:

Has anyone gotten AMD's VSR to work with a 2560x1440 monitor? I can get it to work on my 1920x1200 one but the option is nowhere to be found on the one I actually want to make prettier.

I just tried this I get 3200 x 1800 scaled to 2560x1440 and just found out that my most played game UI now supports higher resolutions. :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

QNIX just released a version of that with DP and HDMI a couple months ago. Patience is rewarded! :w00t:

...except they're not overclockable on either of those :negative:

I think I already asked this but why are the same monitors just with more ports worse / not overclockable? Is it the controller or whatever?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I think I already asked this but why are the same monitors just with more ports worse / not overclockable? Is it the controller or whatever?

Because there's hardware in the way to deal with multiple inputs and scaling and so on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

xthetenth posted:

Because there's hardware in the way to deal with multiple inputs and scaling and so on.

Yep, the DL DVI are basically direct to screen.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Has there ever been a card which could max out every single game that came out when it came out because I keep expecting that to happen and it obviously won't.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

veedubfreak posted:

Is it kosher to bump threads in the SA Mart? Still need to get these G1 980s sold, although they're currently in use because my rma wont be here til Monday. QQ
According to the FAQ thread you can bump it twice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sout posted:

Has there ever been a card which could max out every single game that came out when it came out because I keep expecting that to happen and it obviously won't.

I mean, if you turn the resolution down sure. But you could always crank resolution and gently caress up benchmarks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sout posted:

I think that an nVidia 5900 Ultra could max out every single game at its release, but it was also $650 in inflation adjusted dollars.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsyxNdrllKE

Oh boy. Is that where the VRMs are?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

sout posted:

Things were kinda close in 2012-2013, before the new-gen consoles hit and 4k was still ultra-niche.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that an nVidia 5900 Ultra could max out every single game at its release, but it was also $650 in inflation adjusted dollars.
I'd believe that for a 6800 Ultra maybe (although IIRC they could struggle in DOOM3 with uncompressed textures), but the 5-series was such a mess I'd be surprised if that applied across the board to DX9 titles.

Truga posted:

Digital VRMs are usually rated pretty high to like 120C-140C, but that just can't be good for long-term use. :derp:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Truga posted:

I would assume so. Though those temps are pretty good considering the VRMs on the Fury X were getting to like 105C.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

I'd believe that for a 6800 Ultra maybe (although IIRC they could struggle in DOOM3 with uncompressed textures), but the 5-series was such a mess I'd be surprised if that applied across the board to DX9 titles.

Yeah, the 6800 / X800 series hit just as a lot of high requirement games did. I was figuring that the inferior 5900 Ultra might have fared better just because it didn't have to fight HL2 / Doom 3 / Painkiller like the 6800 did.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Interesting how it's a neat rectangular region through the PCB and backplate.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, no. 29 FPS maxed settings at 1600×1200 in Doom 3: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1104/23

Edit: vvvv Uh, yeah, you're right, Doom 3 came out in 2004, they just managed to get some early benchmarking results!

I was just picking out the most intensive game in the review, but I wasn't expecting it to be pre-release stuff

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 10, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, no. 29 FPS maxed settings at 1600×1200 in Doom 3: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1104/23

I was a year off on my Doom 3 release, I thought it came out in 2004 for some reason. My bad. When did it come out? This review is from May 2003.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

It sure as heck ain't the memory! :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would assume so. Though those temps are pretty good considering the VRMs on the Fury X were getting to like 105C.

The IR camera is also looking at the back of the card though, the VRMs on the front side-

e: Oh nevermind, they're on both sides of the card. Derp. Odd that the front side ones have heatsink contact but the ones on the back are just left open like that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sout posted:

Do you mean max out in the "noticeable differences" sense because you can always add more AA and bring benchmarks low.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I still can't believe 8x SGSSAA is still hidden inside Nvidia Inspector and not on the Nvidia control panel.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Last night I drove one hour out to the farmlands of Enumclaw, WA to pick up two GTX 970s /w Batman for $480. My glorious haul was stopped in its tracks by the traffic of a Steely Dan concert. loving Steely Dan.

My motherboard cant even support two cards. Probably gonna flip one on Ebay and end up with one really cheap 970.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Green Gloves posted:

Last night I drove one hour out to the farmlands of Enumclaw, WA

this is not the horse thread

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Green Gloves posted:

Last night I drove one hour out to the farmlands of Enumclaw, WA to pick up two GTX 970s /w Batman for $480. My glorious haul was stopped in its tracks by the traffic of a Steely Dan concert. loving Steely Dan.

My motherboard cant even support two cards. Probably gonna flip one on Ebay and end up with one really cheap 970.

Shoulda gotten a $236 980 at microcenter

http://www.microcenter.com/product/438838/geforce_gtx_980_superclocked_4gb_pcie_video_card

Looks like some people have had luck with BB pricematching in store for a pickup order

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 10, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/438838/geforce_gtx_980_superclocked_4gb_pcie_video_card

Looks like some people have had luck with BB pricematching in store for a pickup order

I'd try that, but I'd have more luck if they hadn't closed the San Jose location because the landlord wouldn't play ball on the rent. :argh:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'd try that, but I'd have more luck if they hadn't closed the San Jose location because the landlord wouldn't play ball on the rent. :argh:

Oh is that what happened, drat I miss microcenter. so much better than the flea bay that fry's is.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah I doubt I could price match considering there are no Micro Centers in WA.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

r0ck0 posted:

Oh is that what happened, drat I miss microcenter. so much better than the flea bay that fry's is.

Yup, lease ended just as Bay Area commercial rents were starting to ramp up in 2012.

And let's face it, that's not why any of us go to Fry's. We go there because we need it now, we need it today, it's an emergency, and even next-day shipping from Amazon won't suffice.

But they will price match off Amazon and Best Buy, so, I *guess* you could try hitting up some of the South Bay Fry's and try to get that price on the 980? (I'm thinking the one on Brokaw, specifically, maybe the one in Fremont.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 10, 2015

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Wow is that a "new" card? Or used? Never heard about this site, although I live in Europe. Do you guys know if Reship.com is good for shipping stuff from the US? I think I might buy it, it's an awesome price!

EDIT: never mind, in-store only.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Goddammit I just went to Micro Center yesterday for a 970 :argh:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Goddammit I just went to Micro Center yesterday for a 970 :argh:

I live like 2 blocks from one and already own a 970, I'm going to be checking their stock (mine is out) every 15 goddamn minutes now.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
:wtf: that 980 price. I'm going to be refreshing like mad. I wasn't planning on SLI'ing my but I will at that price lol

edit: I just called micro center and was told they arent carrying that model anymore, which is why its on such a steep sale, and once their gone their gone (which I can only imagine they are gone pretty much everywhere). Edit again, I checked, they are out of stock in every store. You can try and pull a price match on that but I doubt it'd go through. Man I'm pissed I missed this

Also whats up with the air cooling beating the factory water cooling for the fury vs furyx? That's insane. Even the cheapest AIO + cheap rear end bracket absolutely shreds any and all air cooling in general. Did they gently caress it up somehow?

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 10, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BurritoJustice posted:

Even if it does, gains from overvolting on stock BIOS's have been incredibly minor on every GPU in recent memory, so I doubt it will provide a significant boost to compare to Maxwell overclocking.
GCN was never a very good OC'er on anything but LN. Overvolting will help, particularly with watercooled cards, but getting much over 1200Mhz was always tough and over 1300Mhz was nearly unheard of on anything resembling reasonable air/water cooling.

That limitation doesn't seem to have gone away with newer cards, but then the process and design haven't fundamentally changed much either so there wasn't much reason to expect it to.

I think they just need to reduce the prices some and they'd have a lineup that offered good bang for the buck vs NV which would still let them sell plenty of cards. At the moment it seems there are enough AMD enthusiasts, and supplies on Fiji are low enough, where they can sell them out at current prices which IMO isn't very good from a business standpoint. To me it strongly suggests that Fiji will just be a super low volume 'halo' product throughout its life and won't really be practical to buy for most people. Maybe its because HBM isn't quite ready for wide spread use or maybe AMD just doesn't have the engineering resources. I don't know really, just speculating.

Perhaps they'll surprise me and get enough production with a reasonable price reduction to make Fiji more practical from a bang vs buck stand point, but that is a optimistic view which hasn't been panning out for a while now when it comes to AMD's stuff.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

IMO it really depends on how the Nano is priced. Fiji seems to scale downwards pretty well at lower clocks and shader counts, so if Nano is an even more cut down card that's cheap in comparison to the full-voltage Furies it could be definite value at $400.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

Hardly, that's where they sited the Arc Reactor.

xthetenth posted:

Interesting how it's a neat rectangular region through the PCB and backplate.

Pretty effective heat spreading. I guess practice makes perfect?

Green Gloves posted:

You shut your whore mouth, Steely Dan is great!

... wait, they're still alive? :haw:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 11, 2015

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: vvvv Uh, yeah, you're right, Doom 3 came out in 2004, they just managed to get some early benchmarking results!

I was just picking out the most intensive game in the review, but I wasn't expecting it to be pre-release stuff
yeah, NV35 was absurdly good at the stencil shadow pass in Doom 3, NV assumed every game would be using tech4 when designing NV3x and not bothering with SM2.0 for another generation, and after the NV30 disaster, NV got prerelease D3 benchmarks to reveiwers in an attempt to convince people that NV35 would be more future proof.

man, 2002-2008 was such a ridiculous time for GPUs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

1gnoirents posted:

:wtf: that 980 price. I'm going to be refreshing like mad. I wasn't planning on SLI'ing my but I will at that price lol

edit: I just called micro center and was told they arent carrying that model anymore, which is why its on such a steep sale, and once their gone their gone (which I can only imagine they are gone pretty much everywhere). Edit again, I checked, they are out of stock in every store. You can try and pull a price match on that but I doubt it'd go through. Man I'm pissed I missed this

Also whats up with the air cooling beating the factory water cooling for the fury vs furyx? That's insane. Even the cheapest AIO + cheap rear end bracket absolutely shreds any and all air cooling in general. Did they gently caress it up somehow?

Keep an eye on the EVGA B-stock page too - I've got them set to notify me on a couple. One being a 4GB 970 SC for $249

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Ozz81 posted:

Keep an eye on the EVGA B-stock page too - I've got them set to notify me on a couple. One being a 4GB 970 SC for $249

EVGA will have a 970 SC as soon as they send me the 980 Ti that I stepped-up to.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Are the EVGA B-stock returns just step-up cards, or is there hope of for example repaired RMA return 980 Tis before the next-gen comes out?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alereon posted:

Are the EVGA B-stock returns just step-up cards, or is there hope of for example repaired RMA return 980 Tis before the next-gen comes out?

There isn't any specific answer but i mean, you can basically assume they are stepups and refurbs and returns. Dont know how quickly more will get on there though. They probably need to hold stock for real rma's for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I would assume it would depend on their stock levels. I'd imagine that step-up trade ins get reconditioned and mixed into the same pool as repaired RMA'd cards that are then sold as B-stock and/or shipped off as RMA replacement cards.