Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You know what IS the funniest poo poo? Gyro's jokes. He's tooooootally the funniest guy ever. My sides have stitches from laughing so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Pizza Mozzarella" is a better song than "I Like Large Fries"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

You know what IS the funniest poo poo? Gyro's jokes. He's tooooootally the funniest guy ever. My sides have stitches from laughing so hard.

lol at people who think Johnny is never sarcastic towards Gyro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's like people have never had best friends before.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Look where you are

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I don't know. Gyro's humor comes out very forced and nonsensical. I don't know why Johnny finds it so funny.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wished all his jokes got some sort of explanation at the end of the chapter because either they're forced and weird or totally lost in translation. The one Diego makes sounds like it would've been amazing in a terrible way judging by the translator's note, but some are just left as this weird nonsensical translation and I always wonder what the Japanese pun was.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I honestly think they're just super horrible, not weirdly translated or anything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mangakas love puns. bad puns.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Deltasquid posted:

I wished all his jokes got some sort of explanation at the end of the chapter because either they're forced and weird or totally lost in translation. The one Diego makes sounds like it would've been amazing in a terrible way judging by the translator's note, but some are just left as this weird nonsensical translation and I always wonder what the Japanese pun was.

I thought it was translated pretty well, it's just a really lame joke. Which makes it hilarious when combined with Diego's incredibly smug look. I wish got more of him hanging out with Johnny and Gyro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But Diego is a jerk and deserves to hang out with nobody.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Kurtofan posted:

Mangakas love puns. bad puns.

Japanese humour is all puns all the time. Only puns. Maybe a sprinkling of slapstick if you're lucky.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beef Chief posted:

SBR wasn't even a JoJo story until some time after it started.

This always seemed like a really silly thing to say because while true that it wasn't labeled part 7 immediately, the first chapter had a stand and had numerous references to jojo including introducing gyro and then chapter 2 introduced the johnny with the text about it being his story...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Diego is a jerk but to be fair to him everyone treats him like an utter rear end in a top hat when they've never even interacted with him before, so i can understand why he maybe wants to just eat their loving face off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They just know the smell of being a jerk and Dio reeks of it!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Begemot posted:

I thought it was translated pretty well, it's just a really lame joke. Which makes it hilarious when combined with Diego's incredibly smug look. I wish got more of him hanging out with Johnny and Gyro.

Oh no, I mean, I like Diego's. That one I "got". But then there's some Gyro makes that are completely nonsensical and could've used some sort of translator's note, even if it's just "Yeah, it's that bad" so I know I'm not missing anything.
Also I thought Diego was cool and even understandable/relateable in a weird way. Dude had a messed up childhood that basically formed his whole identity, and then a bunch of assholes try to screw him over during races. And as far as tritagonists go, there's worse deals than "Recurring rival who ends up fighting the big bad and almost wins".

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
One thing I wondered in SBR is that Valentine says that he is the only Valentine with Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, but all these alternate Valentines you see him jump into are in the middle of also fighting Dio and Hot Pants and Johnny and poo poo when they have Stands (Johnny definitely does, you see Tusk act 2 next to him at one point), did he just have a different Stand which got overwritten by Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?

I mean, that makes sense since the people who get Stands through Corpse Parts don't seem to necessarily get the kind of Stand they would develop on their own, like how Gyro has his eye-ball Stand but when he perfects his Spin he has another one, and alternate Diego just has the World instead of just copying Ferdinand Scary Monsters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no idea what stand was in the first chapter unless you mean the Steel Balls in which case that is mystical mumbo jumbo that exists anywhere.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Beef Chief posted:

I have no idea what stand was in the first chapter unless you mean the Steel Balls in which case that is mystical mumbo jumbo that exists anywhere.

When Sandman is running from the other natives.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow, I barely remember that happened. Idk that could literally have been anything, but it's pretty silly nonetheless.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Jojolion has me pretty hooked. What the gently caress is going on?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Totally, insofar as it's cool if you like Stone Ocean, but I think it made it clear that Araki needed some time to rethink what he wanted to do. SBR is a great because Stands are less a thing onto themselves and more a compliment to a person's natural abilities, and I hope JoJolion doesn't stray too far from it.

One of my favourite things about SBR is there is only one, incredibly brutal ORAORAORA smackdown and basically the entire storyline is leading up to it.

SBR is really good you guys

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Prison Warden posted:

Everything and nothing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a penis.

Jojolion works in much the same way.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a penis.

Jojolion works in much the same way.

Pretty sure that isn't where the balls are supposed to go

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fiend Computer posted:

Pretty sure that isn't where the balls are supposed to go

That's why it's called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Prison Warden posted:

One thing I wondered in SBR is that Valentine says that he is the only Valentine with Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, but all these alternate Valentines you see him jump into are in the middle of also fighting Dio and Hot Pants and Johnny and poo poo when they have Stands (Johnny definitely does, you see Tusk act 2 next to him at one point), did he just have a different Stand which got overwritten by Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?

I mean, that makes sense since the people who get Stands through Corpse Parts don't seem to necessarily get the kind of Stand they would develop on their own, like how Gyro has his eye-ball Stand but when he perfects his Spin he has another one, and alternate Diego just has the World instead of just copying Ferdinand Scary Monsters.

If Rick and Morty taught me anything about alternate dimensions, it's "Don't think about it."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
What i wanna know is, is Josuke's arrangement like... the D Generation X, the Conga Line, or the Blaster Master, you know what I mean?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Prison Warden posted:

What i wanna know is, is Josuke's arrangement like... the D Generation X, the Conga Line, or the Blaster Master, you know what I mean?

I too would like to see Gappy's balls.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jojolion is good and it's basically a remix of arc 4 with the production values of steel ball run. we don't even know the main antag yet (maybe???) but so far i have a hard time believing it won't be amazing all the way throughout.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If Rick and Morty taught me anything about alternate dimensions, it's "Don't think about it."

Much like Looper time travel rules. "I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws."

Basically King Crimson

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm curious how many people genuinely could not grasp King Crimson, and how many people ask anyways because lol meme

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Normie Slayer posted:

I'm curious how many people genuinely could not grasp King Crimson, and how many people ask anyways because lol meme

King Crimson is poorly explained so it makes sense that lots of people ask about it, kinda how everyone thinks Josuke being rescued by the dude with the hair might be Josuke through time travel shenanigans.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It makes JoJo sense, don't think too hard and get hype.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I mean, it's not even something that you have to think hard about. If you have no idea what's going on in scenes with KC at all, I suppose that makes sense, but to put it simply, it removes time. Epitaph sees briefly into the future, and Diavolo chooses a moment from that prediction to remove.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like King Crimson looks when people don't get it.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yes but then you have stuff like narancia getting murdered and king crimson removing a hand during erased time.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Because King Crimson has a frozen time sort of thing like The World.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 11, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Wild Horses posted:

Yes but then you have stuff like narancia getting murdered and king crimson removing a hand during erased time.

Diavolo is really creative about erasing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
King Crimson is cutting up to 10 seconds out of everyone elses collective time while Diovolo gets to do poo poo. Still happened but no one else can percieve it happened. Why do people find this stand hard to understand?