Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Givin posted:

Are people really grinding 50+ in North Thanalan? Why? I thought I saw it mentioned pages ago and just got in that level range to grind out FATEs and there are tons of motherfuckers out here 50+. They don't stay up long enough to get contribution credit almost.

Path of least resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

quote:

Q21. It’s often difficult to find the NPCs and quest points for the quests in Churning Mists. Are there plans to adjust this?

A21. I definitely think we kind of over did it with the Moogle-related quests, so we will be careful in the future not to have these kind of quests. It seems like there is a high amount of hatred towards the Moogles who keep getting lost.

(I liked the moogle quests)

KoB
May 1, 2009

Givin posted:

Are people really grinding 50+ in North Thanalan? Why? I thought I saw it mentioned pages ago and just got in that level range to grind out FATEs and there are tons of motherfuckers out here 50+. They don't stay up long enough to get contribution credit almost.

Its still efficient. The new fates dont give a proportional amount of Exp compared to how difficult they are.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When legs are still up on A4 does it matter much if the MT runs off to get orbs? I generally handle orbs alone as a SCH, but it would be nice to have someone sturdier do it to save mp.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

SirPhoebos posted:

At what point in the series did Carbuncles start looking like Eevees?

Speaking of which I'm surprised SE hasn't made a Pokémon-ripoff using Final Fantasy characters.

This is literally what World of Final Fantasy is gonna be about.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Veks posted:

This is literally what World of Final Fantasy is gonna be about.

Can't wait to see the sperg train grind for hours days weeks to catch a shiny sephiroth.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

nuru posted:

When legs are still up on A4 does it matter much if the MT runs off to get orbs? I generally handle orbs alone as a SCH, but it would be nice to have someone sturdier do it to save mp.

If they have enough of a threat lead, sure. If the MT loses threat on the leg non-tanks start taking missile hits for large spikes of damage that can (and do) often sync up with said person getting Rayed/Balled/Lined and instantly dying.

In our group our OT grabs balls when he's not quarantined and when he is, our healers generally grab them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just realized that people who have the right friends or have lots of gil will be able to get Savage Alex gear over time from just grabbing the tokens on 0 chest runs every week. I wonder if that was their intention.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Vahalla posted:

If they have enough of a threat lead, sure. If the MT loses threat on the leg non-tanks start taking missile hits for large spikes of damage that can (and do) often sync up with said person getting Rayed/Balled/Lined and instantly dying.

In our group our OT grabs balls when he's not quarantined and when he is, our healers generally grab them.

OT off playing in the other room was the situation I was thinking of, yeah.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eej posted:

I just realized that people who have the right friends or have lots of gil will be able to get Savage Alex gear over time from just grabbing the tokens on 0 chest runs every week. I wonder if that was their intention.

It sounded like you can only get one token per week, no matter how many runs you do.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

cheetah7071 posted:

It sounded like you can only get one token per week, no matter how many runs you do.

Yes, but if you're not otherwise clearing, you can be the corpse-on-the-ground in another group's repeated 7 man and get your token.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can someone recommend a place for me to read up on boss gimmicks for the 2.x hard mode dungeons? I'm meandering my way through them to unlock the roulette and I don't want to make an rear end out of myself in front of the good players :ohdear:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can someone recommend a place for me to read up on boss gimmicks for the 2.x hard mode dungeons? I'm meandering my way through them to unlock the roulette and I don't want to make an rear end out of myself in front of the good players :ohdear:

Navigate over to this guy's page, she has short, concise guides to all the major duties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?MTQcapture

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I did every single 2.x HLDR dungeon in an 24 hour span a couple weekends ago. I didn't read about any of them and just said "hey, I'm new here" and asked about the mechanics before each boss fight. usually took 60 seconds for someone to explain the important stuff and then we were off.

I think of the 14 dungeons, every single party I got was more than happy to explain, and I think I remember 3 total wipes in ~42 bosses.

AKA people are pretty cool and will explain if you ask.

That being said, twice in the last two days on EXDR I've gotten jerks who openly mocked new players asking for advice on bosses, then left after a few wipes, telling everyone to "git gud." in both instances, we cleared the fight on the next try with a replacement.

AKA people can be jerks and tell you to google things.

Also: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons is a good rundown of boss mechanics for most dungeons.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Balbanes posted:

Kābankurururururu started looking like that around FF6 or 8

the ff5 summon

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

The only halfbreed we've seen looked real cool though

These people want Lala X other race which is the opposite of cool.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

None of the 2.x dungeons are difficult enough to warrant a guide. Either say you're new and someone will explain the mechanics to you, or follow the simple rules of "don't stand in aoes" and "kill adds"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I did all mine shuffling between war and pld in the HQ armor they give out in the expansion quests. Just said I never did it before and people said stuff. It is mostly the bosses, do stuff.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Verranicus posted:

These people want Lala X other race which is the opposite of cool.

so are nanamo and raubahn dating

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
deleted, poor taste

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Malloreon posted:

I did every single 2.x HLDR dungeon in an 24 hour span a couple weekends ago. I didn't read about any of them and just said "hey, I'm new here" and asked about the mechanics before each boss fight. usually took 60 seconds for someone to explain the important stuff and then we were off.

I think of the 14 dungeons, every single party I got was more than happy to explain, and I think I remember 3 total wipes in ~42 bosses.

AKA people are pretty cool and will explain if you ask.

That being said, twice in the last two days on EXDR I've gotten jerks who openly mocked new players asking for advice on bosses, then left after a few wipes, telling everyone to "git gud." in both instances, we cleared the fight on the next try with a replacement.

AKA people can be jerks and tell you to google things.

Also: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons is a good rundown of boss mechanics for most dungeons.

This is what I was looking for, thank you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Have a SFW rendition of the first thought that re-sprung to mind:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This thread sure is... something awful!

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Never played FF XIV... kinda have the itch to MMO heal though. Good time to start?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just tell them in the dungeon when you're new and anyone should explain. Also just send me a /tell when I'm on and I'll run you through whatever.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

central posted:

Never played FF XIV... kinda have the itch to MMO heal though. Good time to start?

It's never a good time to start playing Anime Catgirl Dressup 2k15

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

central posted:

FF14 is always good to start IMO, but you might have trouble creating a character on the goon server, it's usually only unlocked at or slightly after 11h GMT or so.

Take that into consideration. Goon guilds are really fun though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Truga posted:

FF14 is always good to start IMO, but you might have trouble creating a character on the goon server, it's usually only unlocked at or slightly after 11h GMT or so.

Take that into consideration. Goon guilds are really fun though.

When he says guilds, this is because we have three on the Excalibur server. They aren't splinter groups or anything, we just hit the member caps and had to create new ones.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Kibner posted:

When he says guilds, this is because we have three on the Excalibur server. They aren't splinter groups or anything, we just hit the member caps and had to create new ones.

not some poo poo-rear end tiny member cap like 100 or anything either, the cap is 512

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kibner posted:

And this is despite a low number of alts (thanks to the Armory system) and a policy of removing inactive folks from the guilds.

Point is, this is a very active MMO.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kibner posted:

Yep, we have three of the largest guilds on the server. There are TONS of people on at all times to group, craft or play pretty princess dress up with.

Especially that last one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Excalibur making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? Or one of the duty servers, perhaps?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

And you only need to make your character once, again thanks to the armory system which lets one character do everything. Sometimes there's queues to sign on that last 20 seconds (or less if you cancel and immediately try again). Definitely try to get on Excalibur even if it sucks that first time creating your character and getting them on Excalibur.

There's three healing classes but access to two is kinda gated. Conjurer / White Mage is available from the start. Scholar requires leveling a DPS class (Arcanist) to 30 and Conjurer to 15 to unlock with the bonus that you can use a DPS class, Summoner, at the same level as your Scholar. The third, Astrologist, requires completing the main story of the base game which lets you access the expansion content where Astrologist is immediately available for everybody and starts at level 30.

You can get a free two week trial period, max level 20, to give the game a shot. Come heal anime catgirl simulator 14!

e: Make your character on another server first. You can save their appearance data so when Excalibur is available you just load that appearance data, input your name and staring class, and you're off!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

It's never a good time to start playing Anime Catgirl Dressup 2k15

I sometimes feel like Im playing the game wrong because I made a male roegadyn and Im constantly surrounded by catgirls and midgets. :(

For some reason I cant get ffgoons to work but thats OK for now since I still havnt been able to pick a character to stick with yet.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/247046-Children-to-become-playable?p=3130858&viewfull=1#post3130858
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/247046-Children-to-become-playable?p=3130897&viewfull=1#post3130897

This guy seems to be really knowledgeable on pedophilia laws, and how to get around them, and why the non-human races shouldn't apply to them in FFXIV, a video game.

EDIT:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/247046-Children-to-become-playable?p=3130912&viewfull=1#post3130912

Ohhhh myyyy gooood.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Lalas are bad and dumb but occasionally you see a pair in matching outfits and its just adorable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like when people make lalafells look fierce but most people don't.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free

GreatRedSpirit posted:

And you only need to make your character once, again thanks to the armory system which lets one character do everything. Sometimes there's queues to sign on that last 20 seconds (or less if you cancel and immediately try again). Definitely try to get on Excalibur even if it sucks that first time creating your character and getting them on Excalibur.

There's three healing classes but access to two is kinda gated. Conjurer / White Mage is available from the start. Scholar requires leveling a DPS class (Arcanist) to 30 and Conjurer to 15 to unlock with the bonus that you can use a DPS class, Summoner, at the same level as your Scholar. The third, Astrologist, requires completing the main story of the base game which lets you access the expansion content where Astrologist is immediately available for everybody and starts at level 30.

You can get a free two week trial period, max level 20, to give the game a shot. Come heal anime catgirl simulator 14!

e: Make your character on another server first. You can save their appearance data so when Excalibur is available you just load that appearance data, input your name and staring class, and you're off!

Thanks - gonna give it a shot

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
How did no one post this one???

quote:

Q36. Do you have plans to introduce a Haurchefant minion or painting?
A36. Since we're receiving lots of requests for this...let's add this in Patch 3.1!
:yayclod:!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

every time I go to the official forums a tiny part of my dies but I can't stop myself

• Locked thread