Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've found that the type of people photographers usually are are the ones who geniunely try to take care of their equipment, especially when trying to sell it. All the second hand equipment I've got has been totally fine, and a lot cheaper than new.

Also I've found that some shops that sell second hand gear - in the UK at least - offer a 6 month warranty which is a nice buffer if you find out that something is broken. Saying that I've still never had to use those warranties due to the quality of the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Same here, only have been sent one item I thought was sub-par and that was this week from a guy on Amazon. I just sent it back, no problems there.

I detail anything I sell, I cant offer a warranty but I also wouldn't sell something I thought/knew was on the verge of crapping out without actually listing that.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I guess as well I'm having trouble seeing how the 1200d can be so bad that I'm better off buying a 40d, which is several generations old if I understand it right (50, 60, 70). Surely a 40d would have been used enough that the shutter would be prone to failure?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NaDy posted:

I've found that the type of people photographers usually are are the ones who geniunely try to take care of their equipment, especially when trying to sell it. All the second hand equipment I've got has been totally fine, and a lot cheaper than new.

Also I've found that some shops that sell second hand gear - in the UK at least - offer a 6 month warranty which is a nice buffer if you find out that something is broken. Saying that I've still never had to use those warranties due to the quality of the gear.

A few years ago I bought a 24-70 for about ~$850. It was in great shape. After 6 months I didn't like the lens and rarely used it and decided to sell it for $950.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I guess as well I'm having trouble seeing how the 1200d can be so bad that I'm better off buying a 40d, which is several generations old if I understand it right (50, 60, 70). Surely a 40d would have been used enough that the shutter would be prone to failure?

If you're taking photos at high noon of still objects, the 1200d/T5 will be fine - I don't know what sensor it has so it may be okay to shoot through late afternoon as well. If you're planning on shooting a lot you're going to notice the limitations of this camera very quickly and in a week you'll already be saving to buy a better body instead of looking at a decent lens.

The 40D has a bigger and better body & build, it's definitely more ergonomic if you have larger than average hands. There are programs that can give you an actuation count. Shutters are rated for 100k and you can knock the gently caress out of someone with the body without damaging it.

geeves fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 9, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Any tips on buying a used lens off Craigslist? I'm not sure how I would be able to test it and really know if there was anything wrong

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

The problem with those cameras is that Canon takes out basic features like spot metering and mirror lockup, that you may want to use as you grow and learn, and you just won't be able to. They're perfectly good for the audience canon intends them for (set to running guy or persons face mode and shoot away) , but if you're professing a desire to learn to use the camera, you probably want more than a 70's era feature set.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Also assuming that every 40D is going to be heavily used is off, there are still many that someone let sit and gather dust and they just remembered "hey I wanted to sell that"...

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Any tips on buying a used lens off Craigslist? I'm not sure how I would be able to test it and really know if there was anything wrong

Meet at a Starbucks or something during the day. Inspect it, then take a handful of shots at different apertures and load them on to your laptop or just use the LCD to look for anything glaringly bad. Make sure the AF is working. Try different focusing points. A good seller shouldn't mind spending an extra 10 minutes for you to pixel peep as you make sure you're buying something solid.

On the other hand I sold a lens to someone in a Sunoco parking lot at 11pm because they were in a hurry.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

triplexpac posted:

if you're in the U.S. just buy off KEH instead.

The thing is: the Rebel cameras are not, by themselves, bad. They will take good pictures. However, there are two things to remember: Like mentioned before, camera bodies in most every level get refreshed so often, it doesn't make much sense to buy new unless you REALLY want to buy new. Considering how expensive it is versus how many used bodies are available, it would probably be best to jump into this really expensive hobby by saving some money where it's not needed. That money saved is better spent on a better lens to start.

The other thing? As also mentioned, the Rebel and entry-level bodies have a ceiling for how much you can use. Sure, the 40D is much older, and may not have as high of resolution (the real problem would be ISO anyways), but it probably has a higher frame rate for burst photography and sure as hell has better materials and better controls. The x0D and 7D/5D bodies have additional controls (wheels on the back, extra screen on the top, extra buttons to access settings directly) as well, and once you start learning, those become much more useful. To change aperture on my old Rebel, you had to hold a button down and then use the shutter speed control to adjust it; with x0D and up that's the separate wheel on there. It sounds small, but that's a HUGE thing for usability when you're adjusting everything manually. As well, the bodies are just bigger and more comfortable.

So tl;dr save money, raise your ceiling, and save for lenses. Get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and one of the pancakes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

geeves posted:

Meet at a Starbucks or something during the day. Inspect it, then take a handful of shots at different apertures and load them on to your laptop or just use the LCD to look for anything glaringly bad. Make sure the AF is working. Try different focusing points. A good seller shouldn't mind spending an extra 10 minutes for you to pixel peep as you make sure you're buying something solid.

On the other hand I sold a lens to someone in a Sunoco parking lot at 11pm because they were in a hurry.

A seller in a hurry is a warning sign (for me). As stated, they should have no problem spending a few more minutes for you to check things out.

harperdc posted:

if you're in the U.S. just buy off KEH instead.

The x0D and 7D/5D bodies have additional controls (wheels on the back, extra screen on the top, extra buttons to access settings directly) as well, and once you start learning, those become much more useful. To change aperture on my old Rebel, you had to hold a button down and then use the shutter speed control to adjust it; with x0D and up that's the separate wheel on there. It sounds small, but that's a HUGE thing for usability when you're adjusting everything manually. As well, the bodies are just bigger and more comfortable.

Man I really HATE the Rebel controls .. the wheel on the XXD are awesome.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 9, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just get a used 60D. You learn how to use real dSLR controls and have the convenience of cheap SD cards.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Seamonster posted:

Just get a used 60D. You learn how to use real dSLR controls and have the convenience of cheap SD cards.

Buy mine. It's only slightly broken, but broken in a useful way! (Who cares about the mode dial lock, really?)

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

geeves posted:

If you're taking photos at high noon of still objects, the 1200d/T5 will be fine - I don't know what sensor it has so it may be okay to shoot through late afternoon as well. If you're planning on shooting a lot you're going to notice the limitations of this camera very quickly and in a week you'll already be saving to buy a better body instead of looking at a decent lens.
Is the T5 really that bad? I upgraded from an A95 to a T2i back when it came out and was able to learn a lot about manually setting my shots and have gotten a lot of range out of it for personal use. Setting the manual controls on the screen or while holding down a button and using the scroll wheel isn't as convenient as the better models, but you've still got almost all the features there.

That being said, I still agree with the general sentiment here:

harperdc posted:

So tl;dr save money, raise your ceiling, and save for lenses. Get the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and one of the pancakes.
If you can get a better used/older body for a similar price or lower price, then do that and buy some nicer lenses. I'd generally trust the type of person who is selling a nice camera and is in no rush to sell it to be the type of person who knows their stuff and takes good care of it. I've seen a lot of online postings where people take extra care to highlight any damage to their lens or camera so the buyer knows exactly what they're getting.

Edit: Regardless of what you get, shoot in RAW and learn to post-process.

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 9, 2015

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

triplexpac posted:

First thing I would do is before you even meet up with the guy, is to ask for basic info that may be deal-breakers for you. Things like scratches, serial # if you're looking for a specific revision of a lens, etc.

Typically my checklist is something like:
- check the front and back element for any scratches
- take out both the backcap and lens cap, look through the lens under a light and check for any signs of mould, or excessive dust (dust is unavoidable on some lenses, especially zoom lenses so I wouldn't dwell on this too much)
- check the filter ring to see any bends or dings
- check the lens body for any scratches or dings (really up to you to be nitpicky on this based on the selling price)
- turn the focus and zoom rings to check for tightness, difficulty in turning
- check turning the aperture to see if there's no issues in opening and closing it

In terms of performance:
- test focus at close and infinity to see if there's issues with the motor
- test focus at wide open aperture and varying apertures. just zooming in on liveview works fine for quick checks
- lens may front or back focus and need micro adjustments depending on your body, but if it focuses really bad then i'd steer clear
- test IS if the lens has it in liveview mode
- you can test for sharpness too, but that's a little hard by just looking at the camera LCD. just do your best by eye-balling it i guess

Most of the time, photographers are really careful with their poo poo so I wouldn't worry too much. But try to check most of these things so you save yourself some buyer's remorse if you happen to find something wrong with the lens after buying it. Oh, and I typically do e-mail money transfers instead of carrying cash for these transactions. Never felt too comfortable with that much cash, public place or not. This is in Canada, so the US should have something similar?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The reason I'm so hesitant about buying a used body is that I know really nothing about what to look for etc. I'm into cars and I've grown up with a dad who taught me a bit about them and I've seen how shady used cars are.

Is there like a list or a guide or something that I should do when buying a second hand camera? You guys say most people treat them well and I believe that seeing as its a niche hobby and not something like cars where a lot of people just don't give a poo poo, but knowing my luck I'll get the single camera in Australia that got dropped 100m into a river that somehow worked enough that me not knowing anything and taking a few pictures in a coffee shop wouldn't notice a problem until it was too late.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

The reason I'm so hesitant about buying a used body is that I know really nothing about what to look for etc. I'm into cars and I've grown up with a dad who taught me a bit about them and I've seen how shady used cars are.

Is there like a list or a guide or something that I should do when buying a second hand camera? You guys say most people treat them well and I believe that seeing as its a niche hobby and not something like cars where a lot of people just don't give a poo poo, but knowing my luck I'll get the single camera in Australia that got dropped 100m into a river that somehow worked enough that me not knowing anything and taking a few pictures in a coffee shop wouldn't notice a problem until it was too late.

DSLRs are built robust because their singular mechanism to how they work just turns it into a paperweight if broken. If it takes a picture and it looks like real life, it works. If anything you're better off buying a beat up camera, because cosmetic damage will bring down the price, and if the damage isn't surface level its basically unsellable. The person above you has gone through a way more comprehensive list of possible problems, but they're uncommon. People sell these things because they're upgrading or barely use it.

Edit: I bought a 60D with a couple of lenses basically brand new for less than half of the retail price at the time because my friend bought an upgrade (5Dmk2), because, in turn, the person he bought the upgrade from was upgrading (C-100).

Frogfingers fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 10, 2015

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

zeroprime posted:

Is the T5 really that bad?

T5i (700D) is fine, T5 (1200D) is not.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Spending a fat wad of cash on the 6D/40 2.8 has severely limited my budget for a while, so I've been looking into cheap and nasty EF lenses to play around with until I can afford the stuff I really want (24/2.8 IS, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4 IS). I found the Sigma 28-80 3.5/5.6 II for around 30 bucks shipped on eBay so I ordered it honestly expecting a total piece of poo poo, but it just arrived and while it's nothing spectacular it's surprisingly not a giant turd. The macro in particular is totally useful and I think it's the absolute cheapest way to get halfway decent macro on a full frame Canon.

Crappy indoor shot, I haven't gotten a chance to take it outside and take pictures of bugs or flowers or something because I got home too late but I think this is gonna be something fun to mess with this weekend. The 28mm end is also shockingly decent and will totally hold me over until I can afford the 24. Are there any other super cheap EF lenses out there that actually do something useful, aside from the obvious nifty 50's?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You want cheap macro motherfucker? Put an extension tube or two behind that pancake and be amazed.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
If you want an extension tube set paypal me shipping for priority flat rate small box (if you're in the US) and you can have mine since I went Fuji. Its a cheapie $15 set but it works well.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

astr0man posted:

T5i (700D) is fine, T5 (1200D) is not.

Ah, ok. So it's the black sheep of the family.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The 1xxxD line is an uber-basic line Canon introduced fairly recently and as pointed out, it's missing some fairly fundamental features in order to keep the price down. You might regret this once you start trying out more advanced techniques. For example, for a long exposure through a strong ND filter you'll benefit from mirror lockup functionality which is missing for the 1xxxD but is present in every other product line.

For what it's worth, I'm using a 500D (so an older 700D) which I got second hand from ebay. The only lens I have is the Tamron 17-50 non-VC lens goons always rave about - with good reason, it's awesome for the money - which I also got second hand off ebay. That lot ran me to about £300 total, and those two pieces of equipment have allowed me to experiment and be creative in ways which simply aren't possible with equivalently priced point and shoot cameras.

Buying the equivalent new body and the same lens new would have been in the region of £800 and for what? A warranty? Who cares, if it breaks I can buy the entire setup again and still have spent less money than buying it new once. Saving that money has allowed me to invest in some other bits like a few filters, a remote shutter release, etc. You could even put it towards a licence for Adobe Lightroom, which you'll definitely want to be using.

Don't be scared about second hand gear. Camera bodies, as mentioned already, are basically a no-brainer. Ask the seller to provide the shutter actuation count (software is available to read it off the camera for like $2 and if they don't want to tell you it then the listing is best avoided) to give you an idea of how much use the body's had, bearing in mind the shutters are rated for 100k+ actuations; other than that, if the body looks fine then it should be fine. Buying a used lens off ebay is a bit more risky but, in either case, buyer protection has you covered if the item doesn't match the description. If you buy a lens described as "very good condition" and it has scratches and/or mould then you'll get your money back, it depends if you're willing to risk the hassle I guess.

Remember, everything is relative. You'll see people in here talking about the latest Canon v. Nikon low level ISO performance or whatever, but you're coming from a phone camera for chrissakes. Even my 500D setup would blow that image quality out of the water in so many ways that they're not even in the same league. Having the body with the newest model number on the side of it isn't everything.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 10, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

zeroprime posted:

Ah, ok. So it's the black sheep of the family.

Yes - it's intentionally feature reduced, and made with some older parts to meet a price point so that Canon can have a super low price dslr on the shelves at walmart come christmastime. They are fine in and of themselves, but the features they take out are things you will want if you are actually trying to learn

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Bodies are easier to buy. Typically, what you see is what you get. If it's broken, it's immediately obvious. The thing with bodies though, is that unlike lenses, they don't hold their value that well. Once a newer version of that body is out, expect it to lose quite a bit of their value. This also works in your favour since people just sell off their old kit when they're upgrading.

For a similar checklist for bodies:

packaging:
- receipts are a plus, but for Canon it doesn't matter too much. warranties are only valid for a year when brand new, and Canon does out-of-warranty service for any camera without receipts (for a fee, obviously). by the time you buy a used camera, it's already out of warranty. this applies for Canada, I think it's the same for the US?
- original boxes and accessories are a plus as that helps with the resale value

body:
- ask the seller for the shutter actuation count of the body. most Canon bodies are rated for 100k+ actuations, but can typically go beyond that
value
- inspect the camera, look for dings, scratches or rubber peeling that are dealbreakers for you
- try all buttons and knobs, make sure they turn or press easily
- bring a lens you're familiar with and look into the viewfinder, see if it's dirty or has mold. these can be a problem with the viewfinder itself, the mirror box or the focusing screen.
- look at the mirror box and sensor to see if it's super dirty or smudged
- take a couple of pictures and see if the shutter sounds fine
- take a couple of pictures of something super bright, dark and normal exposure, check the results and check for anything immediately obvious that's wrong.

DSLR's are mostly pretty rugged so you don't really have to worry too much. (DigitalRev burned and melted a 7D and it still takes pictures) Most of the issues with used cameras are mostly cosmetic or dirt stuck in the wrong places.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I have a 30D and it still works perfectly fine.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

HookShot posted:

I have a 30D and it still works perfectly fine.

my friend is using my old 10D that i bought at launch, still works great for her

and i have a brassy as hell eos 3 that still works great

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The point here is, its going to be hard to get a crap camera if you're even somewhat trying to make sure it's good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also the good thing about the pre-60D models is their metal body is solid enough to beat someone to death.

Weirdly, you never see that in product feature lists.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I agree with everyone that used camera bodies can save you a ton of money. My first body was a 20D that cost me $200. Yea, it was a bit behind the times in 2010, but it took great photos and cost 1/5 of what it originally sold it for. I sold it a couple years later for like $125 or something.

One thing I've noticed is that owners of higher end camera (anything in the x0D or range rather than a Rebel) tend to have a more realistic view of resale value. It's not rare to see someone trying to sell the Rebel they paid $600 for a few years ago for $500. To them it was a really expensive camera and must still be worth a lot.

The 1200D/1100D/1000D line of bodies is a big waste of time. You lose a lot of functionality for a little savings and nearly everyone who buys these would be way better off just buying used.

edit: Wow, I really hosed up those model numbers.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 12, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The T1200/T1100/T1000 line of bodies is a big waste of time. You lose a lot of functionality for a little savings and nearly everyone who buys these would be way better off just buying used.

I'm not sure they're such a bad deal, really. The T1000 at least had a liquid metal coating, and could change its form based on what was needed.
It also had great weatherproofing, especially against super-cold ice.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm not sure they're such a bad deal, really. The T1000 at least had a liquid metal coating, and could change its form based on what was needed.
It also had great weatherproofing, especially against super-cold ice.

Extreme heat is always a problem though. But It could really take day to day damage.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Wow, I really hosed up those model numbers.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/calamvale/digital-slr/dslr-camera-canon-eos-600d-18-55-is-ii-single-lens-kit-/1083813415

Found this while in a waiting room with a quick search but that's a good option right? Looks like it comes with the kit lense, do I need the Tamron one you guys talk about? I'll do more looking tonight probably. What are the specs on the Tamron?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/calamvale/digital-slr/dslr-camera-canon-eos-600d-18-55-is-ii-single-lens-kit-/1083813415

Found this while in a waiting room with a quick search but that's a good option right? Looks like it comes with the kit lense, do I need the Tamron one you guys talk about? I'll do more looking tonight probably. What are the specs on the Tamron?

Tamron has a larger aperture of 2.8 but does not have the IS of the kit lens. Tamron should be sharper.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

You should just get familiar with the camera before you sink money into lenses. The stock 18-55 is a workhorse, and I've taken some spectacular shots with it. If you want a starter DSLR that's a pretty good opportunity sitting there.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Frogfingers posted:

You should just get familiar with the camera before you sink money into lenses. The stock 18-55 is a workhorse, and I've taken some spectacular shots with it. If you want a starter DSLR that's a pretty good opportunity sitting there.

Very good point, the kit lens can be quite good provided you keep in mind its limitations in lower light .. but the IS is very nice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cross-posting from the gear thread

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Interest check on this stuff...

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II
Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Canon EF 2x III Extender
Canon Speedlite 600 EX-RT
Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote
Canon BG-E11
Canon ST-E3-RT

...or if I should just start posting it to eBay and Craigslist. If you're familiar with my earlier sales: I basically don't use my gear so look forward to a comically low shutter count on the body. Please don't start calling dibs or anything, just curious if I should start getting photos together for the thread. Thanks!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
All used dslrs bar one advertised in Brisbane have been sold already and were owned by angry Asian women who blame you for calling to ask about the ad they haven't taken down. Why is this so hard I just wanna throw my money at people and they won't take it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

All the glass and the body ended up going locally, but I have a lot of Canon accessories up for sale still:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=221&perpage=40#post447740910

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Crossposting from the first DLSR thread

I'm learning about photography as a hobby and I'm looking at getting my first DLSR. My film school friend who owns a bunch of expensive lenses and cameras told me I should look at something like this as a starting point:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Canon-1200D-Twin-Lens-Kit-18-55mm-75-300mm-1200DTKB-/111703010247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1a0204abc7

I like taking photos but all I have is my phone and phones are poo poo. I've messed around with his 70d in auto mode and taken some nice shots (nothing I can share because they are of people), but I'd like to get my own. I'd be taking a lot of shots while bushwalking and off my car primarily I guess, I'm not looking for specific professional needs because thats not how I'm going to be using it. Is he right in that this is a good starting point?

I've been thinking about the discussion on which Canon entry level SLR to buy. I'm starting to think that no one new to photography should buy a crop Canon. I mean I guess in your situation it might be good because you got a buddy you can borrow glass from, but I think most people would be better off with a good mirrorless system. They're smaller, have much more advanced technology, and it seems in general the lenses are cheaper. Canon's crop cameras haven't kept up at all with other manufacturers.