Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Leal posted:

:cripes:

Doug doesn't actually know how comedians are successful, does he? Then again the guy does make his living off that, lemme rephrase: He doesn't know why career comedians are funny. They can make anything funny, without having to fall back on old jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-planet-of-the-apes/

Well look here, he does an honest trailer of what this thread was talking about in the first two minutes. I'm still watching the video, so yeah if he's going to do those things anyways despite being aware enough to know those things are flaws to his product, I don't know. Ugh, I'm getting really annoyed at passing several minutes of skits just to watch the review.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 10, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Pictured: a clown, not a comedian.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

Pictured: a clown, not a comedian.

Dan Whitney understood. Americans are savage in nature. No matter how much you try to dress it up, to disguise it. Blake saw America's true face. Chose to be a parody of it, a joke. I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor, says he's depressed. Life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. The great comedian, Larry The Cable Guy, is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up". Man bursts into tears. "But doctor", he says, "I am Larry The Cable Guy." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Sidenote: not to re-de-rerail the thread, but re the "victim blaming" thing from two pages back that everyone else has already forgotten about but has been bugging me all day: Sorry if I picked a poor choice of words. I saw the original "what did Kyle do...", and if I misread that as blaming him (rather that Lord Katniss and his band of hungry randos), then mea culpa.

Apologies (and apologies for redrailing again {and apologies for apologizing too much <and apologies for not closing all these brackets>)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Now that's just an unfair comparison, don't say such hurtful things about Larry :(

Honestly though, he's no Ron White but Larry can be a decent comedian when he tries.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Alacron posted:

Now that's just an unfair comparison, don't say such hurtful things about Larry :(

Honestly though, he's no Ron White but Larry can be a decent comedian when he tries.

Pretty soon people will be saying Jeff Dunham's better than the Nostalgia Critic.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spark That Bled posted:

Pretty soon people will be saying Jeff Dunham's better than the Nostalgia Critic.

The Nostalgia Critic hasn't contributed to anti-Arab sentiment in post-9/11 America to any meaningful degree, so he's better I'd say.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Annointed posted:

http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-planet-of-the-apes/

Well look here, he does an honest trailer of what this thread was talking about in the first two minutes. I'm still watching the video, so yeah if he's going to do those things anyways despite being aware enough to know those things are flaws to his product, I don't know. Ugh, I'm getting really annoyed at passing several minutes of skits just to watch the review.

I haven't watched the video, but this is the best NC review because there's a plug for Todd below it. It reminds you to go check out Todd instead.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
The Cinema Snob reviewed Windows? Please. I reviewed Windows 2 years ago, before it was cool. :smug:

(I'm looking forward to hearing his take, although I hope it doesn't just consist of him referencing other movies he's reviewed, without providing clips or explanation or context...because that tends to be where Brad falls down for me. There's a mention earlier in this thread about having to know all this continuity and backstory, and Cinema Snob's videos seem to contain a lot of callbacks which are hard to understand if you haven't seen his whole back catalogue.

I did like the Heaven's Gate video though!)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Brad does a lot of callbacks in his reviews, but he also makes references to other movies/TV shows, actors, and current events that he's aware of. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't, but I don't let that stop me from watching his videos.

Also, if you're going to bash a guy for way too many running gags and callbacks, then Linkara is extremely guilty of it. More so than Doug.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

Brad does a lot of callbacks in his reviews, but he also makes references to other movies/TV shows, actors, and current events that he's aware of. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't, but I don't let that stop me from watching his videos.

Also, if you're going to bash a guy for way too many running gags and callbacks, then Linkara is extremely guilty of it. More so than Doug.

Well, "someone else does it worse" is not so much of a defense as a deflection.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Brad usually drops them mid-sentence and keeps going, though. Doug tends to figuratively pause, jazzhand it, and grin before moving on.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm just waiting for the day Doug reviews Frozen and the entire thing is just one long, recurring "I was frozen today" gag.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I didn't say Doug was good at those jokes. I was trying to say that Doug wasn't the only one who reuses old jokes. Sorry if that didn't come out so clear.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

lornekates posted:

Sidenote: not to re-de-rerail the thread, but re the "victim blaming" thing from two pages back that everyone else has already forgotten about but has been bugging me all day: Sorry if I picked a poor choice of words. I saw the original "what did Kyle do...", and if I misread that as blaming him (rather that Lord Katniss and his band of hungry randos), then mea culpa.

Apologies (and apologies for redrailing again {and apologies for apologizing too much <and apologies for not closing all these brackets>)

Well, I can't say I don't appreciate the support, so thanks for that.

But yes, that post was hardly victim blaming. It's not like he was claiming that by using a mass-blocking script I was mentally ill. Like certain people with large followings have done...

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dan Whitney understood. Americans are savage in nature. No matter how much you try to dress it up, to disguise it. Blake saw America's true face. Chose to be a parody of it, a joke. I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor, says he's depressed. Life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. The great comedian, Larry The Cable Guy, is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up". Man bursts into tears. "But doctor", he says, "I am Larry The Cable Guy." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "Git-R-Done."

Jsor posted:

I'm just waiting for the day Doug reviews Frozen and the entire thing is just one long, recurring "I was frozen today" gag.

Considering the big joke of his True Grit review was "YOU THINK I'M GOING TO MAKE A LOT OF BIG LEBOWSKI JOKES BUT I'M NOT," that day probably isn't very far off. I can't remember if it was him or Spoony, but on one of the To Boldy Flee commentaries, they tried to explain it as "we make a lot of references in our everyday conversations, so obviously we're going to make a lot of references in our films." This was their explanation for lifting the entire grid shutdown scene from Ghostbusters verbatim.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So we're all pretty sure Doug likes trains, right?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

His Thomas the Tank Engine review says otherwise.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I can't remember if it was him or Spoony, but on one of the To Boldy Flee commentaries, they tried to explain it as "we make a lot of references in our everyday conversations, so obviously we're going to make a lot of references in our films." This was their explanation for lifting the entire grid shutdown scene from Ghostbusters verbatim.

And here I thought it was a commentary on the whole "evil corporations controlling the internet/copyright" subplot. Instead, they're those guys. Not that their motivation changes anything.

That bitterness about Youtube bot takedowns is also in the honest trailer, so I guess it's still a problem.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the difference between a running gag and a callback?

For me, and how I use them, a runnng gag is just the sameish joke that shows up every now and then, but is funny regardless of context. knowing it's a running gag just makes it slighty more (or less, depending on your feelings about running gags) funny. A Callback is something that's only funny if you know the context. For example, a few years ago this started showing up in a lot of reviews whenever somebody got shot : http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dear-sister-parodies-mmm-whatcha-say . It requires a lot of context. I'll admit I've even used it too. An example from NC would be the Bat credit card.

The best kind of joke of this type would, and should, be a combination of the two. Have a runnng gag that's funny even if people haven't seen any other episode of your show, but that fans will recognize as a callback to a previous bit. Like, say, if you've established in older videos you really hate peanut butter, and then make a joke saying something is "as awful as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich where you replace the jelly with motor oil." A new viewer gets the obvious joke, a fan gets it as a double joke.

I do like how they sometimes hang a lampshade on it though. One of the oldest NC running gags is M Bison saying "Off Course !" after a character says they want to take over the world. In his review of a Streetfighter anime, at the moment when you expect the clip to show up, it just cuts back to Bennet saying "keep waiting, I'm sure that clip will show up any minute now".

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh hey, they even snuck in a reference to Sarah Connor Chronicles (putting 2007 on the timeline when it doesn't actually figure into any of the movies). I miss that show. I'd gladly swap the last two films for a few more series of that show.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Amazing

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh hey, they even snuck in a reference to Sarah Connor Chronicles (putting 2007 on the timeline when it doesn't actually figure into any of the movies). I miss that show. I'd gladly swap the last two films for a few more series of that show.

:agreed:

It wasn't great, but it's better than everything else made after T2.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Leal posted:

Doug doesn't actually know how comedians are successful, does he? Then again the guy does make his living off that, lemme rephrase: He doesn't know why career comedians are funny. They can make anything funny, without having to fall back on old jokes.

It took me far too long to notice this, but for me this realization hit during his Blues Brothers 2000 review. Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman, and that kid are standing outside the car dealership and talking about they need to look tough and no-nonsense and kick some rear end in there and the whole time the little boy in the suit is standing in the forefront of the shot. Doug loses his mind and goes on a rant about how having the kid there TOTALLY undercuts Dan Aykroyd's speech and it's like "Yes, Doug, that's how jokes work. It may not be a particularly funny joke, but I think Dan Aykroyd knows what he's doing."

So yeah, dude likes trains.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I think Dan Aykroyd knows what he's doing.

Could very well be the first time anyone has ever said that.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
It really make me look back on his barts nightmare review. I don't like LP as entertainment but he really had no clue about the basics.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

It really make me look back on his barts nightmare review. I don't like LP as entertainment but he really had no clue about the basics.

The big problem was that he didn't understand the "play a bad videogame and get really really angry at how hard it is" thing was completely played out and tired.

I mean part of the joke is that the Critic doesn't understand what he's doing and thinks this'll be easier than it is, but that doesn't make it funny or watchable.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
I believe he said something about being on holiday/going to a load of cons and still feeling the need to get something out. Not like that's an excuse for how crappy it was, but still.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Bart's Nightmare highlights to me Doug's biggest flaw, he does not know when to stop. That video if it was 5 minutes would be tolerable, but Doug never got that as a comedian, you can kill a joke just as easily as you made it.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I can't remember if it was him or Spoony, but on one of the To Boldy Flee commentaries, they tried to explain it as "we make a lot of references in our everyday conversations, so obviously we're going to make a lot of references in our films." This was their explanation for lifting the entire grid shutdown scene from Ghostbusters verbatim.

I know people were coming out of the woodwork to defend scene lifting in To Boldly Flee. That's even worse than The Meet the Spartans folks, they just did very tired parody and references, I don't remember them actually fully stealing sc3enes and dialogue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

It took me far too long to notice this, but for me this realization hit during his Blues Brothers 2000 review. Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman, and that kid are standing outside the car dealership and talking about they need to look tough and no-nonsense and kick some rear end in there and the whole time the little boy in the suit is standing in the forefront of the shot. Doug loses his mind and goes on a rant about how having the kid there TOTALLY undercuts Dan Aykroyd's speech and it's like "Yes, Doug, that's how jokes work. It may not be a particularly funny joke, but I think Dan Aykroyd knows what he's doing."

So yeah, dude likes trains.

Not knowing why something you like is good or why something you don't like is bad, and therefore focusing on completely irrelevant details as if they mattered is a pretty common failing among nerds. Just look at the average flamewar on CieD (don't) for an example, or the various Edition Wars about D&D all around the web.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not knowing why something you like is good or why something you don't like is bad, and therefore focusing on completely irrelevant details as if they mattered is a pretty common failing among nerds. Just look at the average flamewar on CieD (don't) for an example, or the various Edition Wars about D&D all around the web.

Still don't get the edition wars on D&D when everyone who plays them has to make up house rules to mend how utterly broken the games were.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Rules don't matter much if DM is great and knows how to read the situation. I remember a scene at the end of our campaign when we returned to the tavern and my character wanted to drink his tea with milk. Which he decided to get from a cow by himself (hey, he likes it fresh). Our DM made me roll a die, which I failed, so what happened is my character looked this poor cow straight in the eye and beat the poo poo out of her udder. He then dropped his cup, sat on all four and licked the milk and tea off the floor.

DM took the piss out of me, and this made our campaign infinitely more enjoyable.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Annointed posted:

Still don't get the edition wars on D&D when everyone who plays them has to make up house rules to mend how utterly broken the games were.

it's largely nostalgia, it like people who clam classic World of Warcraft was the best thing ever but looking back there was a ton of BS that the latter expansions removed or fixed. it largely the first version people played, and new people see it being Romanized thinking it was the golden age.

it like how there games like pathfinder and wildstar that is promoted by saying "it like that game you liked years ago"

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 10, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

See: Ghost Rider pissing fire, the nuking the fridge scene, Kevin Costner drinking his own urine in Waterworld, A bat credit card

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The pissing fire was the only bad thing about Spirits of Vengence.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

See: Ghost Rider pissing fire, the nuking the fridge scene, Kevin Costner drinking his own urine in Waterworld, A bat credit card

to be fair it don't broad well if your movie start with the main character drinking his own piss.

I still don't get the pure hate these movies get. ghost rider is about on par with the other super heroes movies at the time, waterworld is ok on a boring Saturday, batman and robin is fun to watch on drugs and beer with friends (It's the 2nd best 90's batman IMO)

as I say the fridge is too overblown in a series with the skydiving raft and the whole mine chart scene, crystal skull is a pointless movie but the old films are still there.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

MonsieurChoc posted:

The older I get, the more tiresome nerds and their obsession with minutiae and "canon" and timelines becomes. Comic books, Star Wars, and The Terminator all start out in a fun, simple place but eventually devolve into a convoluted mess because making sure your make believe universe has continuity becomes more important than telling a good story.

Annointed posted:

Some of it's nostalgia and defending your own preferences, some of it is dumb nerd gatekeeping "Edition X is for Casual Babbys, REAL MEN PLAY Version Y," but I imagine the financial buy-in plays no small part as well. You spend $200 on your D&D 3.5 books, make your quests just the way you like it, and suddenly out comes a new edition with completely new books and mechanics and your edition isn't supported anymore and in an effort to not get left behind, you go full-bore sunk-cost-fallacy and try to convince friends (and anyone within earshot) that the new edition sucks and is a BETRAYAL or some poo poo.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

Speaking of running jokes into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The older I get, the more tiresome nerds and their obsession with minutiae and "canon" and timelines becomes. Comic books, Star Wars, and The Terminator all start out in a fun, simple place but eventually devolve into a convoluted mess because making sure your make believe universe has continuity becomes more important than telling a good story.

Some of it's nostalgia and defending your own preferences, some of it is dumb nerd gatekeeping "Edition X is for Casual Babbys, REAL MEN PLAY Version Y," but I imagine the financial buy-in plays no small part as well. You spend $200 on your D&D 3.5 books, make your quests just the way you like it, and suddenly out comes a new edition with completely new books and mechanics and your edition isn't supported anymore and in an effort to not get left behind, you go full-bore sunk-cost-fallacy and try to convince friends (and anyone within earshot) that the new edition sucks and is a BETRAYAL or some poo poo.

It's telling that an article written to mock the idea of a strict interseries continuity ended up leading nerds to search for even more continuity based around the autistic kid in St. Elsewhere.

• Locked thread