Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I really like the fluff around the Skaven and I'm wondering...are any of the Thanquol books worth reading? Any Skaven books in general?

So much goon praise for the Dan Abnett I might have to finally read some of these 40k books too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gameko posted:

I really like the fluff around the Skaven and I'm wondering...are any of the Thanquol books worth reading? Any Skaven books in general?

So much goon praise for the Dan Abnett I might have to finally read some of these 40k books too...

The Thanquol trilogy by C.L Werner is pretty decent if you like Skaven (who doesn't). Also, book 2 of the Gotrek and Felix saga, Skavenslayer, the first appearance of Thanquol, is really good. Worth mentioning that Skavenslayer's events happens around twenty years earlier than the ones in the trilogy.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Sounds like if I go through Eisenhorn, then Gortek and Felix for a few book, than Thanquol, I'll have plenty of light reading for the summer through fall. Thanks bunches!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Gameko posted:

Werner's Thanquol trilogy isn't all that well written, the plots are kind of threadbare and none of the secondary characters were memorable at all, but Thanquol himself is one of the most hilariously written characters I've ever read about. Werner does an amazing job of capturing the mindset of a paranoid schizophrenic, and it is awesome. I would definitely read them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
CL Werner also wrote Siege of Castellax, the only hams book so bad I had to put it down after 100 pages. I left it on a table at my game club and hopefully some poor sod picked it up, started reading, and then did the right thing and burned it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

CL Werner also wrote Siege of Castellax, the only hams book so bad I had to put it down after 100 pages. I left it on a table at my game club and hopefully some poor sod picked it up, started reading, and then did the right thing and burned it.

Which is interesting, because he also did the Matthias Thulmann WItch Hunter trilogy, which I thought was pretty drat good.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gameko posted:

thanquol is a recurring character in the gotrek and felix books, which are fairly highly rated as far as warhammer books go

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
CL Werner seems to really get Fantasy, but not 40k so much for some reason.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SRM posted:

that book had a few moments but it was boringly grimdark for me. same with any of the flesh tearers drek. I have only seen the "rip and tear" poo poo done well few times and that was with angron and kharn.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that book had a few moments but it was boringly grimdark for me. same with any of the flesh tearers drek. I have only seen the "rip and tear" poo poo done well few times and that was with angron and kharn.

It went from grim dark to cartoony villainy. The book opens with the main villain breaking a guy's arms, putting him on a chain over a pit of boiling metal, and for every minute he doesn't try and make the sign of the aquila, the guy gets lowered another centimeter. There's absolutely no reason to do that aside from twirling your moustache and cackling. Then later they murder a bunch of their own pilots for some reason (to inspire fear or loyalty?) and then bitch about how their airforce is getting overpowered by the Ork airforce because they don't have enough pilots. It's like they had Cobra Commander running a Grand Company, but somehow sucked all the fun out of it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Which is interesting, because he also did the Matthias Thulmann WItch Hunter trilogy, which I thought was pretty drat good.

I dunno, I'm halfway through the third Witch Hunter book and it's alright. I suppose I did enjoy the bit at the end of the second book where four different and opposed factions all show up for a party all at once and then everyone starts fighting everyone else but for the most part these books have been just kinda there. Competent, but ultimately uninspiring.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, in full disclosure, I did read them when they came out, which was years ago. I suppose in that time standards for WFB books have risen, so if I went back and read them again, I might not like them as much, or at all. I will say that, at the time, there were other WFB books that I just thought were utter trash and couldn't get through for fear of dying of boredom, so that's gotta say something...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Really, it's just that CL Werner is a lot better writing WFB than 40k.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Arquinsiel posted:

Also relevant is that GW doesn't really bother with rank all that much and you've got Sergeants and "Veteran Sergeants" effectively doing the same job, but somehow being different. Dude could be Colour Regimental Sergeant Major 1st Class and actually have more clout than Captains depending on what the writers felt like declaring was the regimental structure for that unit.

Heck, in the Ghosts books Sergeants were usually leading "squads" that fit the Platoon entry on the army lists until they quietly got promoted to Lieutenant after Gereon.

It was fun watching Abnett figure out that regiments aren't just a collection of a hundred odd platoons.

Edit: Also that one regiment being founded in the first Eisenhorn novel having 50,000 dudes.

Hunterhr fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am willing to let poo poo slide because it's clear that they were left with nobody that wasn't an NCO (somehow) before they even made it off-planet at Tanith. Very telling though, I felt, was how they were referred to as "<leader>'s mob" all the time. There would be just enough of them in there to die as necessary, but still achieve the objective. It works, and is only an irritance to me because I was the fool who made a Ghosts army for 40k after getting into WWII gaming and actually had the first clue about command structures.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hunterhr posted:

It was fun watching Abnett figure out that regiments aren't just a collection of a hundred odd platoons.

Edit: Also that one regiment being founded in the first Eisenhorn novel having 50,000 dudes.

I'm pretty sure not knowing about Lieutenants was a genuine Abnett misstep, but Regiments being anywhere from <1k to tens of thousands of men each is something that's been in 40k since before I started following it, which was well before Eisenhorn. A "regiment" of Imperial Army was traditionally "the amount of Army soldiers that the regiment's warship could carry" during the Great Crusade. (I guess old 40k didn't have dedicated troop transports.) After the Heresy, Army authority was decoupled from Navy authority, but the softness of the "regiment" definition persisted throughout the ten thousand years following the Army's transformation into the Guard. Long story short, it has always been part of 40k that a regiment is however big the author wants it to be.

Edit: tangential: Abnett is terrible at estimating density, both population-wise and also "how much should a really big spaceship weigh."

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 15, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other odd thing about 40k is that Battalion and Division level organizations are pretty much nonexistent in the Imperial Guard. The regiment is the standard unit size for the Guard. Squads, platoons, companies, regiments, and then it's cut off.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Arcsquad12 posted:

The other odd thing about 40k is that Battalion and Division level organizations are pretty much nonexistent in the Imperial Guard. The regiment is the standard unit size for the Guard. Squads, platoons, companies, regiments, and then it's cut off.

I think the whole "shuffling forces around IN SPACE" tends to be detrimental to specific permanent levels of organization.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Klaus88 posted:

I think the whole "shuffling forces around IN SPACE" tends to be detrimental to specific permanent levels of organization.

That and the whole collapse of civilization, the roaches in the wall trying to reassemble the gone glory of the homeowners, cargo cult of how society is supposed to work thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also the whole reason why Imperial Guard organization is cut off at the regiment level is to contain and marginalize any Guard units that turn traitor. They don't want a rogue Guard unit that has infantry, armor, artillery, etc like what happened during the Heresy, so they keep Guard organization at single-purpose regiments and then encourages inter-regimental feuds to slow heresy spreading from one contaminated unit to another. Only a few Guard forces of ironclad loyalty like the Cadians are allowed to employ mixed forces.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
guys look stuff:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/15/new-warhammer-40000-action-rpg-announced

I wonder if it will die like eternal crusade

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waroduce posted:

guys look stuff:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/15/new-warhammer-40000-action-rpg-announced

I wonder if it will die like eternal crusade

They made The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, which was a very well-recieved and well-supported ARPG. So it's right in their wheelhouse. MMO's are kind of a different beast.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So anybody thrown themselves on the grenade and read the new Age of Sigmar book yet?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/gates-of-azyr-eb.html

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I guess that means no more novels starring heroic rat catchers? :ohdear:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

gently caress it, it's a fiver. Which is a fair price to know whether I ever need to read a Warhammer Fantasy novel again.

I'm going in. If I don't return tell my wife, who the hell are you? I'm not married.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

So anybody thrown themselves on the grenade and read the new Age of Sigmar book yet?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/gates-of-azyr-eb.html

It's Chris Wraight, so it's probably very good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Whens the 20 dolla night lords short come out

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well that sure was something. I'll put this in a spoiler box, just in case, but there's not much to spoil.

It's not great. But that's not necessarily the authors fault. It's a 200 page novella, and it's basically a set up story for the AOS box set. Like the piece of fiction you often get at the start of a pen and paper RPG that sets the tone for the game.

So it's pretty much, here is the basic set up, here are the characters with some brief back story. Here are the new models and a brief glimpse of what they do on the field. There is a big fight. The end.

It may well be possible to write an actual novel in this new universe, with a decent story and plot. That remains to be seen. This is not such a novel, but it's clearly not meant to be.

Stray observations.

- All trace of the Old World is gone. Those thinking (or wanting) there's still an actual civilisation somewhere where there are regiments of pikemen and caparisoned cavalry are going to be disappointed. The main setting of the action is beyond 'The Road' level Apocolyptic when it comes to Humanity. Actual people are a few scattered tribes, hunted by cannibals. There are a few Khornate cities and citadels mentioned but no real detail gone into.

- The Stormcast Eternals :magical: have a weird vibe. I can see why people have started calling them Sigmarines. It's not just the Look. They drop pod in descend on bolts of lightning. They serve the God-Emperor God-King. They say The Emperor protects He will preserve. He will protect. They have a Chaplin who wears a skull helmet. But there's also a vaguely Necron vibe to me. They bleed and can be killed. But it's not entirely clear just what they are under the armour. They've all been implanted with geneseed 'reforged', which seems to have stripped away much of their memory and possibly personality. Again, in a proper novel, it's hard to see how much personality they would have compared to even Space Marines when trying to tell a story with interesting protagonists. Oh and the Chaplin can use Reanimation protocols to get them back on their feet when they are killed.

- Even by Black Library standards. The names are pretty stupid. 'Bloodsecretor' et al.

- The main Khorne guy seemed to be doing Magic. Blasting stuff apart, launching psychic attacks etc.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 16, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So no rat catchers

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If there are, they'll be called Vermin Slaughtquisitors and be accompanied by a Gargantuan Killhound.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

If there are, they'll be called BloodVermin Slaughtquisitors and be accompanied by a Ur-Gargantuan Killhound.
You have to make them trademarkable names - don't forget.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Changing my name to Bloodeptford Xecutioner

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ADB wrote poo poo about First Claw during the HH, but I can't be assed to keep using the mobile app to read it. Just write a new Night Lords book already.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

ADB wrote poo poo about First Claw during the HH, but I can't be assed to keep using the mobile app to read it. Just write a new Night Lords book already.

there is a scene where Talos is hallucinating or something and remebers being on the Walls of the Palace on Terra with Variel when he was a first Sargent its p fuckin sweet bro

e: in one of the original trilogy

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know this is a safe space which is why I am going to post the following: ADB is starting a choose your own adventure game on his blog complete with polling, so if you are at all interested in following alone now is the time! The first installment just went up.

https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/the-archmage-zorbulon-part-one/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You have not mislead me, Black Library thread. Night Lords was real good ya'll.

I just went and ordered First Heretic, The Emperor's Gift, and Talon of Horus.

Anything else I should grab? Ahriman looks interesting but it's loving $32 on Amazon, so uh, no.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I liked ahriman alot

Gods/lord/whatevrr of mars trilogy

Blood of Asehim that whole wolves series

Betrayer

Fear to Tread

Know No Fear

1-3 of Horus Heresy

Grey knights omnibus

Jk on the last one

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Helsreach btw get that asap

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

victrix posted:

Anything else I should grab? Ahriman looks interesting but it's loving $32 on Amazon, so uh, no.

After First Heretic, read Know No Fear then Betrayer since they're all connected and loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

victrix posted:

I'm not a fan of the Ahriman books at all. They have a few interesting sequences here and there, but they're mostly a slog to read.