Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ridinspinnaz posted:

every time I go to the official forums a tiny part of my dies but I can't stop myself

the pages aren't loading for me.

It's a sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Renegret posted:

the pages aren't loading for me.

It's a sign.

It's someone rationalizing child protection laws only applying to representations of humans and not other races.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kibner posted:

It's someone rationalizing child protection laws only applying to representations of humans and not other races.

I'm sure he has strong views regarding ebophillia as well.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ridinspinnaz posted:

every time I go to the official forums a tiny part of my dies but I can't stop myself

:chanpop:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The best thing about lalafells is how everybody takes them completely seriously and nobody in the game ever treats them as children or adorable or in any way less worthy of serious consideration than, say, a roegadyn.

The worst thing about lalafells is that I can't figure out a way to make the above rule compatible with a flat prohibition on talking about them in any kind of sexual context.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

The best thing about lalafells is how everybody takes them completely seriously and nobody in the game ever treats them as children or adorable or in any way less worthy of serious consideration than, say, a roegadyn.

The worst thing about lalafells is that I can't figure out a way to make the above rule compatible with a flat prohibition on talking about them in any kind of sexual context.

The game literally has old men lalafells talking about loving catgirls at the beach

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Countblanc posted:

The game literally has old men lalafells talking about loving catgirls at the beach

Life is full of sorrow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you start in Ul'dah, Momodi introduces herself by saying how much she loves to talk about dicks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I liked the lalafell lady who laments that her aging husband doesn't have a hot warrior bod anymore

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this is uncomfortable to read, and know about.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Then there's the sleeping lalafell dude in Drybone who's having a wet dream about Raubahn.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
And Gegeruju, who has a laundry list of sexual stuff involving him, including (but not limited to) inviting the GSM guild leader to join his harem.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well she got the badonk after all

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Fister Roboto posted:

If you start in Ul'dah, Momodi introduces herself by saying how much she loves to talk about dicks.

But who reads the text in mmos?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm downloading the free trial right now, looking forward to giving this game a shot. Since the main goon server is full, I'm probably going to make a character on Cactuar. Won't be til morning though since there are still several hours left on my download.

Can I still use the Recruit-A-Friend codes when I start with the free trial?

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 11, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

But who reads the text in mmos?

:whitewater:

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Finally made it onto Excalibur and got up to level 10 in the past two days. Any tips for a rookie arcanist?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

X Factor posted:

Finally made it onto Excalibur and got up to level 10 in the past two days. Any tips for a rookie arcanist?

Make sure to unlock your challenge log in Limsa Lominsa as soon as you can (I think around level 15?). Free EXP for doing things you'll be doing anyway. Keep doing the main story and class quests.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

X Factor posted:

use topaz carbuncle in dungeons

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kharaa posted:

use topaz carbuncle in dungeons

No, use emerald for the knockback.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

No, use emerald for the knockback.

that's a fair point

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Daveski posted:

Can I still use the Recruit-A-Friend codes when I start with the free trial?

Yes, you can use a RAF code up until you pay for a month of game time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

isk posted:

Yes, you can use a RAF code up until you pay for a month of game time.

Cool, thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can use a RAF code after you've bought and registered the game code (so, after your trial expires, really), but before you've subscribed for the first time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Serious answer version of the previous what-not-to-do posts:

Topaz carby is your pocket tank when soloing but will annoy your actual tank in a dungeon group. (Counterpoint: if your actual tank sucks horribly, topaz may do a better job.) Use emerald carby when grouping, and put your pet on Obey rather than Sic, so it doesn't autocast the annoying knockback.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Make sure you tell your carbuncle to chase every filthy pirate it sees to the ends of the earth, no excuses, no exceptions.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also, your main damage as an arcanist (and later summoner) is going to be your damage over time spells, like Bio and Miasma. Make sure they're ticking on all the enemies, all the time (unless they're almost dead). Ruin is for when all your DoTs are going strong, or for something which is too close to dead to justify a DoT.

DoTting all the enemies will occasionally get them mad at you and smacking you if you have an incompetent tank who can't be hosed to keep aggro on more than one mob at a time. While you may need to hold back occasionally in the interest of not dying thanks to Bad Tank, don't default to that. Assume the tank can do their job until proven otherwise.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

X Factor posted:

It seems like you have not yet joined Third Party Tools, this is a thing you should do! At the very least you get an experience point buff just for being in the free company, but there are lots of other new players to group with and older players to answer questions and help with things so there's no reason to wait or anything you need to be "ready" for, just come on in! Here's the thread for how to join, it's easy:

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27222

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, ever since... I'm not sure if it was immediately after the expansion or a little while after it, every night at 8 PM EST, my connection becomes unplayably bad (though interestingly, never outright DCs). I recall some other folks mentioning encountering this issue and thinking it may be related to having Verizon as an ISP? Did something go weird with their connectivity to the FF14 servers sometime relatively recently? Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a way around it (switching ISPs is sadly not an option. Only other choice is comcast. And THEY had a connection that outright DCed constantly and was unstable for things other than just FF14 at a specific time of night)?

I play on Cactaur if that's at all relevant.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Obligatum VII posted:

So, ever since... I'm not sure if it was immediately after the expansion or a little while after it, every night at 8 PM EST, my connection becomes unplayably bad (though interestingly, never outright DCs). I recall some other folks mentioning encountering this issue and thinking it may be related to having Verizon as an ISP? Did something go weird with their connectivity to the FF14 servers sometime relatively recently? Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a way around it (switching ISPs is sadly not an option. Only other choice is comcast. And THEY had a connection that outright DCed constantly and was unstable for things other than just FF14 at a specific time of night)?

I play on Cactaur if that's at all relevant.

Use WTFast, it completely fixes things since it hides the game's traffic from the (netflix) throttling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ridinspinnaz posted:

Every time I try to follow a link to a specific post it doesn't work. :shrug:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Niton posted:

Use WTFast, it completely fixes things since it hides the game's traffic from the (netflix) throttling.

Wait, is that's what's going on? Motherfuckers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Opposing Farce posted:

Wait, is that's what's going on? Motherfuckers.

Most likely. Now you just have to guess which side is doing the throtteling: the ISP's or the network backbones they use to carry traffic!

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I got kicked out of an Aery for AOEing on SMN and "not following target marks"

Why are tanks such big cucks?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's why I usually play tank. I like DDing as well, but it sucks when the tank uses Flash/Overpower/Unleash only once per pull, or a WAR doesn't know TP recovery in HW is A Thing, or moves their character in ways that lead me to question their sobriety.

The only times I've come close to bottoming out MP in HW is if I'm pulling Clemency rabbits out of a hat. If all I'm doing is using Flash, MP recovery is so easy with Sheltron and GB.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I just realized all my favorite cutscenes include Yda beating the poo poo out of some mook.

More Yda please yoship.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Kuai posted:

I got kicked out of an Aery for AOEing on SMN and "not following target marks"

Whenever I see a tank start putting down marks I know I'm in for a good time. They are almost always atrocious at holding aggro. When I switched from tank to SMN and started taking aggro all the time I was like "maybe it's me?" Then when I switched back to tank and had 0 issues holding aggro for smn's I was like "no, it's definitely them".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

psymonkey posted:

Whenever I see a tank start putting down marks I know I'm in for a good time. They are almost always atrocious at holding aggro. When I switched from tank to SMN and started taking aggro all the time I was like "maybe it's me?" Then when I switched back to tank and had 0 issues holding aggro for smn's I was like "no, it's definitely them".

I put down marks if I see the DPS going for two different mobs at once.

And then one of them will proceed to ignore the marks anyway.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Marks can be useful in low-level dungeons where you might not have the tools you need to effectively keep aggro but once you have your tanking stance and definitely once you hit 50+ you should have enough AoE threat generation at your disposal that keeping aggro isn't a concern regardless of what the DPS are doing, at least so long as you're paying even just a little bit of attention to the threat meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

psymonkey posted:

I encountered this one lvl50 Paladin a few days ago who for some reason staunchly stood by using the O, X, Triangle, and Square marks due to Sony nostalgia (and then he doesn't even follow the icon philosophy, he told us the order was Triangle, X, Square, O!!). The kicker was that he ALWAYS decided to focus on whatever was second in the mark list so we'd be focusing down the Triangle mark while he aggro'd the X.

• Locked thread