Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

If you're fighting for games never to have any form of buildup at all, even the first time you play the game, you're going to be a long time waiting. Even the older Fallouts did that.
there should always be an option just to get a checkup, a pat on the back, a "go get em, tiger" and then let the player choose whether to go through the tutorial by whether they follow the quest dialogue or not. goodsprings was a great intro to the game from first playthrough to last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ImpAtom posted:

If you're fighting for games never to have any form of buildup at all, even the first time you play the game, you're going to be a long time waiting. Even the older Fallouts did that.

Character creation in Fallout 1 was a screen full of stats and the tutorial was a rat cave you could run through in a minute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there should always be an option just to get a checkup, a pat on the back, a "go get em, tiger" and then let the player choose whether to go through the tutorial by whether they follow the quest dialogue or not. goodsprings was a great intro to the game from first playthrough to last

New Vegas was the sequel/expansion/whatever to Fallout 3 and so the developers could generally assume players were familiar with the basic mechanics. Even then a vast majority of people who played New Vegas most likely did the Goodsprings area of the game their first time through.

Having to do a tutorial all of once and getting angry about it is pretty silly.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

New Vegas was the sequel/expansion/whatever to Fallout 3 and so the developers could generally assume players were familiar with the basic mechanics. Even then a vast majority of people who played New Vegas most likely did the Goodsprings area of the game their first time through.

Having to do a tutorial all of once and getting angry about it is pretty silly.
you get to do it all over again once you reinstall it though!!!!!

hence why the (intentionally obfuscated) option to skip the tutorial was really nice in new vegas

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

2house2fly posted:

Character creation in Fallout 1 was a screen full of stats and the tutorial was a rat cave you could run through in a minute.

Yeah, it was great. I then immediately traveled around the map, met a rad scorpion and died 2 minutes after leaving the cave. Really glad there was no tutorial there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you're on console then your save files are not deleted. If you're on PC then they're still not deleted unless you're moving to a new PC with no form of backup in which case getting a save file at the end of the tutorial is trivial.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it was great. I then immediately traveled around the map, met a rad scorpion and died 2 minutes after leaving the cave. Really glad there was no tutorial there.
It's possible to be killed by enemies even in games with hour-long tutorials.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cojawfee posted:

umm jeez sorry you're not Good enough for the CLASSIC FALLOUTS that all future fallout game should aspire to be

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

If you're on console then your save files are not deleted. If you're on PC then they're still not deleted unless you're moving to a new PC with no form of backup in which case getting a save file is trivial.
a hotkey set to "sgtm 100" is something not everyone has the luxury to know about but it's the only way I can start Fallout 3 on TTW anymore

also modding requires you to start over a game from scratch because scripting bugs that just don't happen on new games. yes this includes the tutorial part.

save files from old versions can also collapse on their own rear end over and over again forcing a restart, don't assume that these engines work correctly through patches

thus, "having to do a tutorial exactly once" is kind of a really big exaggeration

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

thus, "having to do a tutorial exactly once" is kind of a really big exaggeration

No, it really isn't. At this point you're basically moving the goalposts to "well, I do a lot of modding and my mods break the games in way that force me to redo the tutorials!" Which is fine but the mods breaking the game is the cause of that.

I think New Vegas setup better but that is because I think Fallout 3's main plot is a pile of rear end and don't care about it or Guest Voicedad Liam Neeson. A game having an opening isn't an inherent flaw.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I think New Vegas setup better but that is because I think Fallout 3's main plot is a pile of rear end and don't care about it or Guest Voicedad Liam Neeson.

how could you hate your own dad?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

No, it really isn't. At this point you're basically moving the goalposts to "well, I do a lot of modding and my mods break the games in way that force me to redo the tutorials!" Which is fine but the mods breaking the game is the cause of that.

I think New Vegas setup better but that is because I think Fallout 3's main plot is a pile of rear end and don't care about it or Guest Voicedad Liam Neeson. A game having an opening isn't an inherent flaw.
it's not really goalposting if it's what a third of the playerbase does to get more replay value out of it hth

it's simply nice to have the option. you seem to overestimate how willing people are to spend weeks checking quest flags to make an "instant start" mod, let alone upload their save files on the internet (console players are actually more likely to do this)

all i'm saying is that having the option to skip the tutorial, at all, while hiding it well enough that idiots don't stumble into disabling the tutorial, is a neat thing and more games should do that. i'm genuinely sorry if this is an offensive feature to you and that new vegas should have had a 3 hour introduction involving you walking through half of california only to get shot once you reach somewhere near goodsprings that wasn't skippable at all

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 11, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I don't necessarily dislike a long tutorial to set up the story, but having done a lot of New Vegas modding recently all I can say is that if I had to sit through something like the Fallout 3 tutorial every time I needed to get rid of or add a specific mod I'd have thrown my computer out the window a month ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Assuming they carry over what they learned from Skyrim the tutorial should be a lot shorter this time around.

Also I can't really pinpoint why I find Skyrim a lot more appealing than Fallout 3 but I think it has something to do with the only meaty characters being bosses deep in dungeons, rather than super mutants that you find across half of the map.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

computer parts posted:

Assuming they carry over what they learned from Skyrim the tutorial should be a lot shorter this time around.

Also I can't really pinpoint why I find Skyrim a lot more appealing than Fallout 3 but I think it has something to do with the only meaty characters being bosses deep in dungeons, rather than super mutants that you find across half of the map.
Skyrim had slightly more effort spent into the worldbuilding and encounter design which translated into significantly more enjoyment and that's part of why I think fallout 4 will probably be worth at least 20 hours of killing everyone indiscriminately

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Skyrim had slightly more effort spent into the worldbuilding and encounter design which translated into significantly more enjoyment and that's part of why I think fallout 4 will probably be worth at least 20 hours of killing everyone indiscriminately

I'm sure launch day won't be that chaotic.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

I'm sure launch day won't be that chaotic.

Oh no, the launch will be mostly okay. It's the first several patches and inability to really put Beth.net mods into both into PC and consoles that will be talked about the most, until people remember there are story missions and do them within hour 34-79.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Safe Fallout 3 replay talk zone

So I rolled up to do the last part of Moira's quest to get some books from the National Library and decided to explore a bombed out 3-story building to the west. The resident raider had laid a million different traps everywhere so I had to invest a bit of time spent some time disarming each one. Motherfucker even graffitied "gently caress YOU" on one of the stair landings right before a grenade bouquet trap. Anywho, he's in the corner of the top floor, knowing I'm around but having not spotted me yet. I take out his sentry and his baseball chucker goes wild, tossing balls over my head. I creep to the outside of his room and as soon as he's targetable I VATS a grenade in between his legs with the grace of a pro bowler. He yells "poo poo" right before he explodes.

:madmax:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Suave Fedora posted:

Safe Fallout 3 replay talk zone

So I rolled up to do the last part of Moira's quest to get some books from the National Library and decided to explore a bombed out 3-story building to the west. The resident raider had laid a million different traps everywhere so I had to invest a bit of time spent some time disarming each one. Motherfucker even graffitied "gently caress YOU" on one of the stair landings right before a grenade bouquet trap. Anywho, he's in the corner of the top floor, knowing I'm around but having not spotted me yet. I take out his sentry and his baseball chucker goes wild, tossing balls over my head. I creep to the outside of his room and as soon as he's targetable I VATS a grenade in between his legs with the grace of a pro bowler. He yells "poo poo" right before he explodes.

:madmax:

Sounds like your the raider here, poor guy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cojawfee posted:

If only there was a manual or something.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I think after 50 pages you should be legally required to call it a book.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

It's 120 pages.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You got through the rat cave without figuring out combat?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

2house2fly posted:

You got through the rat cave without figuring out combat?

No, The game took me to a map and i clicked around for a bit and was forced back into the world where a rad scorpion immediately showed up and murdered me.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I know NV has a great tutorial session, like people have said. But to be fair, I've replayed Fallout 2 a whole bunch, and it must be said that if you play with low(er) agility, its super common for random encounters of otherwise harmless critters to swarm you so you can't move properly and slowly make mince meat out of you.

Also, I'll never forgive Obsidian for Peragus in KotOR 2.

NEVER

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT:

Had the boys in the lab working on this

Day 1 goon mod: A gun that shoots monster brew.

Or Todd Howards.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I don't know what the hell some of you guys are talking about. I haven't had to deal with the fallout 3 intro in like five years. I don't even remember what the gently caress vault 101 looks like.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Day 1 goon mod: A gun that shoots monster brew.

Or Todd Howards.

Wait, do we use it to shoot Todd Howard, or does it fire Todd Howard?
I bet Todd "You're a kid now" Howard would make himself an unkillable NPC.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

This thread is worse than Fallout 1

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

This thread is worse than Fallout 1
It's one of the best threads on SA, easily. Cream-of-Plenty's scoops alone are the best posts I've seen in the games forum ever. Granted Fallout 1 is good, I still think this thread is better.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Just mod Todd Howard into the game as a wandering NPC like M'aiq the Liar, who only speaks in random clips from press conferences.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

hence why the (intentionally obfuscated) option to skip the tutorial was really nice in new vegas

yeah but the end of the new vegas tutorial was getting into a bigass firefight with some some guy who was a dick to you in dialogue earlier, so that makes the fnv tutorial the 2nd best ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItOJfE_GYg&t=49s

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

fallout manual: that radscorpion is probably going to kick your rear end

e: this is one of the best parts about fnv, radscorpions in 1/2 were 'meh, this guy's kind of a dick' but the first time you see a man-height scorpion in NV, it gets your loving attention

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

bitcoin bastard posted:

yeah but the end of the new vegas tutorial was getting into a bigass firefight with some some guy who was a dick to you in dialogue earlier, so that makes the fnv tutorial the 2nd best ever

You mean Joe Cobb and the powder gangers? That's not part of the tutorial, the tutorial is the boring "shoot 10 geckos" and running around finding herbs part.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fighting radscorpions in NV was stupid. You just walk backwards and shoot. I'm not sure they can even hit you that way.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heavy Metal posted:

It's one of the best threads on SA, easily. Cream-of-Plenty's scoops alone are the best posts I've seen in the games forum ever. Granted Fallout 1 is good, I still think this thread is better.

This thread is the one Fallout 4 deserves. A "pretty-looking" waste of time.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

2house2fly posted:

Fallout 1 also had a spiral bound manual.

[edit]oh that was brought up already

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Delsaber posted:

Just mod Todd Howard into the game as a wandering NPC like M'aiq the Liar, who only speaks in random clips from press conferences.

Somebody actually do this.

FauxGateau posted:

This thread is the one Fallout 4 deserves. A "pretty-looking" waste of time.

I will not consider my hours of enjoyment to be a waste.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bicyclops posted:

I will not consider my hours of enjoyment to be a waste.

Why play games when you can just post about games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

FauxGateau posted:

Why play games when you can just post about games?

Because it's easier to post about Fallout than to play Fallout.

• Locked thread