Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I just noticed in my Ottoman game that Grenada has no cores in Andalucia....no cultural nation has cores on any Andalucian province....I thought every culture had a country?

Castile gets an event or mission or something that removes Granada's cores. They can spawn through rebels still I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Another Person posted:

Also, don't stackwipe an OPM unless you intend to siege them immediately. Hell, don't stackwipe in general is my feeling. When an army is stackwiped they get half of the manpower back of the men lost. They will use that to rebuild an army, and then pad the rest out with loan money mercs. Instead just let them shatter and retreat. The reinforcement costs won't be nice to them, and if you siege their only holding after they shatter they will have a hard time reinforcing quickly enough to be a threat. Once you have them sieged, then you wipe them. Otherwise they will keep coming back. The only time stackwiping benefits you is if you can carpet the enemy lands as soon as you wipe them, to prevent them raising more men. Otherwise they will keep coming back.

Is this still true? There was a change in either 1.12 or one of the 1.13 betas talking about a change to manpower and stackwipes; has anyone checked how it works now?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Allyn posted:

Is this still true? There was a change in either 1.12 or one of the 1.13 betas talking about a change to manpower and stackwipes; has anyone checked how it works now?

I believe that the change was that there used to be weird behaviour with regiments that had little to no men in them inexplicably giving the stackwiped country more manpower than they were 'supposed' to get.

1.13 patch notes posted:

- Fixed manpower being gained inversely on stackwipe (i.e. a regiment with 0 men would give the most MP back to country)

I might be misinterpreting that, though.

EDIT: Upon investigating, yes, you still get 50% of the manpower back from stackwipes.

firestruck fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 11, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Question- I was playing with the random New World generator and trying to see what I got. I noticed in trade goods mapmode that any populated province seems to have the same resource as all its neighbors- like an entire nation will have fur or grain or so on for its total trade good type, and usually continuing over to its neighboring nations. Is this a known issue, and is there a mod that fixes it?

edit- looks like it does this with the randomly generated nations option too- big weird bunchings of trade goods in Europe and so on...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 11, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Is there any way to alter technology levels in the save file? All im seeing is stuff like cores , technology group and monarch ability scores.

I want to just set myself up as a 32 technology one province minor in 1444 and just gently caress up the entire map.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there any way to alter technology levels in the save file? All im seeing is stuff like cores , technology group and monarch ability scores.

I want to just set myself up as a 32 technology one province minor in 1444 and just gently caress up the entire map.

Why.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

you could just cheat your self the monarch points to keep buying more and more ridicuously expensive tech levels.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

Like this?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Ghetto Prince posted:

Type tech 30 in console.

Baronjutter posted:

you could just cheat your self the monarch points to keep buying more and more ridicuously expensive tech levels.

The console doesn't let you exceed your maximum monarch point pool.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It'd be nice if you could invite countries to join your league. Maybe get some of the reformed countries to actually give a poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

firestruck posted:

It certainly shows up as exceeding it if you add more than the max. The moment you spend any of it you get set to the max though, if you'd still be over the max after you spend it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So I was thinking of trying Luck of the Irish for my next game to force me to actually care about fleets and colonizing, and because gently caress the British. My plan is to annex the other minors early, suck up to the brits long enough to reach Newfoundland and run away across the Pacific. I'll need to only control one province to change my capital's continent, right?

First idea has to be exploration, obviously, is expansion likely to be a viable second pick? I don't imagine I'll be making a lot of money initially so I don't know if I'll be able to run 2 colonists by admin 10.

Is it still possible to snake down the NA coast and shut everyone else out with the provinces AoW added? The last time I did any American colonisation it was shortly after the game came out.

Probably go quantity third for forcelimits and the +1 colonists policy, don't imagine I'll have much else to spend Mil on.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

firestruck posted:

Type tech 30 in console.

Yes it does. "adm <xyz>" et al will let you; "powerpoints" won't.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gitro posted:

So I was thinking of trying Luck of the Irish for my next game to force me to actually care about fleets and colonizing, and because gently caress the British. My plan is to annex the other minors early, suck up to the brits long enough to reach Newfoundland and run away across the Pacific. I'll need to only control one province to change my capital's continent, right?

First idea has to be exploration, obviously, is expansion likely to be a viable second pick? I don't imagine I'll be making a lot of money initially so I don't know if I'll be able to run 2 colonists by admin 10.

Is it still possible to snake down the NA coast and shut everyone else out with the provinces AoW added? The last time I did any American colonisation it was shortly after the game came out.

Probably go quantity third for forcelimits and the +1 colonists policy, don't imagine I'll have much else to spend Mil on.

It's extremely possible. I shut everyone out of the eastern seaboard, the Caribbean, africa and south east Asia as the Netherlands by abusing colonist policy and protestant settler bonus. I had 14 merchants without trade ideas purely from colonising. The only war I declared on a colonial power was to try out the force war subject interaction.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Out of trade, tax and production, which is the most important to boost through advisers and why?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

double nine posted:

Out of trade, tax and production, which is the most important to boost through advisers and why?

The one that gives you the most money. Look at your budget screen and do the math.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, it depends on that screen. If I don't feel like worrying about it, I usually got Trade > Tax > Production unless I'm in a situation where one is obviously bad (landlocked countries tend not to benefit a lot from trade).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

The one that gives you the most money. Look at your budget screen and do the math.

I remember something about one of those influencing the others or manpower or something. I recall production being more potent than the others but I can't recall why.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
How much should I try feeding Lithuania before I form the commonwealth? Is there any point where it gets too big, or anything like that?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Tsyni posted:

How much should I try feeding Lithuania before I form the commonwealth? Is there any point where it gets too big, or anything like that?

Nope, go hog wild. The historical friend bonus should keep them from ever becoming a problem vassal, so won't ever rebel, so won't ever be an issue.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Gitro posted:

I thought about trying LotI too but I had the idea to simply try to take Scotland first and then wait for the English civil war. Or is that too optimistic?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

I remember something about one of those influencing the others or manpower or something. I recall production being more potent than the others but I can't recall why.

Manpower used to be increased by goods produced, which is different from production efficiency and mostly comes from manufactories. But they did away with that a couple patches ago. At the start of the game you usually want to get +tax but as you build more manufactories production efficiency / trade efficiency becomes better.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Idea for a QOL improvement: make it possible to 'follow'/'mark interesting' wars by other nations, where you would get 6-monthly (say) updates about who's winning and get a pop-up with the terms of the peace treaty

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Tsyni posted:

If it starts getting uppity, just form the commonwealth. I don't think there's any restrictions on that decision wrt Lithuania's liberty desire, so if things are looking bad just click the button. There are enough early expansion targets for Poland that you shouldn't need to super blob Lithuania before you're in reach of admin 10.

Star posted:

I thought about trying LotI too but I had the idea to simply try to take Scotland first and then wait for the English civil war. Or is that too optimistic?

Taking England as Scotland felt pretty doable to me (pre CS) although I messed up a bit anddidn't succeed. If you add Ireland to that you should be a semi credible match for the poms even before they get wrecked by rebels.You could maybe ally England early and use them to beat down Scotland, seems like it'd take a bit of luck though.

I'm not that good at the game, so other people probably have better ideas.

Ireland is just such a terrible tag. The weakest formable, a culture group of two, one of which can be erased from the start date, and a really odd mix of ideas. Rebel support efficiency, yaaay.

E: does anyone know if the Rising Sun achievement checks to see if you're not Japan? The wiki doesn't mention it as a criteria and I'd love to do it in the dumbest way possible. With judicious vassal release and/or client states I'm sure I can manage to jump ship to Europe.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 11, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Here it is, the motherfucking End War.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
How are there almost 500 boats in galleys and transports alone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It probably has something to do with the Ottomans, Portugal and Britain being involved, the Papal State also has quite a few galleys.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Here it is, the motherfucking End War.
Likely a more impressive war than the war against Revolutionary Russia which happened in my game. Now Revolutionary Russia could be a real menace, but probably not when its presence in Europe has been reduced to Moscow and two neighboring provinces, while the rest of their provinces are on the other side of the Urals... More of a letdown than the Revolutionary Golden Horde, at least that was contiguous.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well that was quite a battle.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Italy apparently has tier one mercenaries in the 1800s.

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf

Gitro posted:

E: does anyone know if the Rising Sun achievement checks to see if you're not Japan? The wiki doesn't mention it as a criteria and I'd love to do it in the dumbest way possible. With judicious vassal release and/or client states I'm sure I can manage to jump ship to Europe.

Your capital has to be in Europe when the game starts.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a way to influence your vassal's personality? Not colonial nation, actual vassal.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

And another one. This time a crushing defeat.

Likely could have won if Italy and Spain had committed their troops to the battle, which they seemed decidely uninterested in, don't really know what the AI is up to. Ridiculous war exhaustion for the enemy though, I hardly have any. But I think this is where the Revolution dies, kind of fitting that the game is likely to end with the Revolutiond being defeated.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

And another one. This time a crushing defeat.

Likely could have won if Italy and Spain had committed their troops to the battle, which they seemed decidely uninterested in, don't really know what the AI is up to. Ridiculous war exhaustion for the enemy though, I hardly have any. But I think this is where the Revolution dies, kind of fitting that the game is likely to end with the Revolutiond being defeated.
The Revolution can't die in Pfalz.

Pfalz - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Pfalz - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Pfalz - Finally facing my Pfalz

It simply doesn't work.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A generation of young French men lie dead on the fields of Brabant, Pfalz and Namur, swept to the battlefield by the fires of Revolution and cut down by the sword of Reaction. The young and ineffectual son of Louis Bonaparte, who fell in the battle of Pfalz, sits the throne bereft of of the European empire conquered by his father and uncle and the love of the people that made such a thing possible.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Aren't the achievements available in the beta patch? I just formed Russia as Muscovy but I didn't get the achievement.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lord Tywin posted:

Aren't the achievements available in the beta patch? I just formed Russia as Muscovy but I didn't get the achievement.

I got Turn the Tables on the beta patch, so yes. Did you forget to enable Ironman or choose a non-1444 start or something maybe?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Do the livonians have a decision to turn into kourland (or courland or whatever)? I wasn't paying attention and that seems like the only possibility. They have some interesting ideas, wasn't really expecting colonial range on a nation in the Baltic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Revolution can't die in Pfalz.

Pfalz - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Pfalz - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Pfalz - Finally facing my Pfalz

It simply doesn't work.

On the plus side, it rhymes with "balls", so I'm sure someone will come up with an amusing song in this timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Do the livonians have a decision to turn into kourland (or courland or whatever)? I wasn't paying attention and that seems like the only possibility. They have some interesting ideas, wasn't really expecting colonial range on a nation in the Baltic.

According to the Wiki, yes: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Kurland

The colonization idea is probably in reference to the actual Couronian colony efforts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couronian_colonization_of_the_Americas

• Locked thread