Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

epitasis posted:

in baten kaitos the player is some sort of pervy voyeur

That's every game when I'm playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The twist in Baten Kaitos kind of owned, it's a shame they didn't go all-in on it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

what was that lovely ds rpg where the final boss fight was the player fighting the main character? that was actually pretty cool. want to say it was like contact or something

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I bought the FF type 0 collectors edition because of the FF15 demo. I figured "buying Zone of the enders and Dragon quest 8 for demos of games not released so I can play the demo for the games worked out before". Type 0 has to be the worse game I have ever bought when I only wanted to play the demo!

Its not the combat, but all the cutscenes look like they took a page from Godzilla movies because only one person is on the screen at a time. If there is 2 people on the screen then there is no animations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fungah! posted:

what was that lovely ds rpg where the final boss fight was the player fighting the main character? that was actually pretty cool. want to say it was like contact or something

Yeah, that was Contact. It tried to be Meta-Earthboundy and failed at it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

The added tricks from peripherals is funny (Tearaway did a very similar thing, albeit integrated into the game from moment 1) but that will still always be such a really lazy way to tell a story in a video game
Eh, depends on how it's done. The thing in BD was kind of neat because it made sense and played around with your expectations, but a lot of games don't go all in on it.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
So I actually just finished FFXII for the first time since its release, and i really loved it. More than I have any FF game I've played recently. I thought I'd throw down some of my thoughts on it. This'll be long, rambling and boring:

1. I started thinking the Licence Board was super cool, and it is as an idea, but I can clearly see why they changed it for the international release. All my characters had every passive by like half-way through the game, and it was trivial to unlock my way to any equipment or abilities I needed. Every character becomes identical surprisingly fast. It sucks that the game turns into every character becoming a carbon copy of the optimal strategy against whatever hunt you are on. I think expanding the board and making more quickening-like 'only one character can have this' tiles to block off areas would have been a cool way to fix it.

2. Similarly, the multitude of weapons is a super-cool idea, but then they just make some better than others outright. I'd love to choose between highly variable or consistent weapons and the like but a few weapons just seem to outclass everything else and they are all easy to get. The weapons are also never explained well in game. Similarly techniques seemed neat, but overwhelmingly bad. (except telekinesis, charge and steal which were vital) Quickenings are a lot of fun and one of my favorite limit breaks, but the use of MP feels like it makes them less valuable in the late game. Summons on the other hand always seemed useless? I tried using them a couple times then just gave up. At least they looked cool.

3. The game gets super easy at the end. Basically everything I fought with auto-attacks. I never did the last few hunts which I know get ridiculous, but I was only lv 56 and I was killing the end game bosses in all of a minute or two and basically hands-off. Offensive magic seems to fall by the wayside right as you get the gambits to automate it, buffs, conditions and white magic are great though. The last couple dungeons seemed like an unnecessary grind, the tower is just boring.

4. I like gambits, I kind of wish you got some earlier, or you could use two conditions for one action, but they worked really well and the rest could be taken care of with manual controls. I wish there were hot-button actions though, digging through menus to steal started to get old after a while. Still, gambits are a great idea for a real time combat system

5. I like the plot a lot. I actually dig the lack of a main character. (its Balthier) I think each character embodies the theme of lost family in a unique and interesting way. Even Vaan grew on me by the end. In a lot of ways, the plot reminds me of the way FFVI's story was told. I also dig that the events are bigger than just the party, its definitely my favorite story in a FF game. It also gets points for not removing characters from your party once you unlock everyone. I hate that so much in games where characters are customizable. (Digital Devil Saga II, I am looking at you.)

Anyway, that's my spergy ramble about FFXII. I think it has become my favorite FF game now. Also, I ran it in an emulator this time and it was fantastic looking, also nice to be able to save-state and fast-forward.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

1. In the international version every class has a different license board and summons. They added unique things in the international version like dragoons can get breaker abilities and such. The items you get are from some of the hunts are are limited.

2. The international version fixes the weapons because not everyone can use a zodiac spear. Monks use staffs, knights use the sword, shield, and 2 handers.

Just to give you an idea, Yiazmat an ultimate mark(not the highest) has 50,112,254 hp, his fight takes hours to complete on the original release because you are capped at 9999 per hit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's derived from faith.

its actually derived from fayth

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

its actually derived from fayth

:frogout: and play Final Fantasy Tactics

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Most of those gameplay issues are handily fixed in the international version MrAptronym.

Which is why I'm waiting for my FF12 HD Square.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Tenzarin posted:

1. In the international version every class has a different license board and summons. They added unique things in the international version like dragoons can get breaker abilities and such. The items you get are from some of the hunts are are limited.

2. The international version fixes the weapons because not everyone can use a zodiac spear. Monks use staffs, knights use the sword, shield, and 2 handers.

Just to give you an idea, Yiazmat an ultimate mark(not the highest) has 50,112,254 hp, his fight takes hours to complete on the original release because you are capped at 9999 per hit.

Adding on to this, the international version also made quickenings and summons more viable by tying their usage to a Mist gauge that was completely separate from characters' MP. And also gave the player full control over summons and their actions, meaning no more figuring what arcane bullshit conditions were required to trigger a particular esper's super sick world-destroying finishing move -- you could just pick it from a menu at your leisure.

#izjsremaster2k15

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dr Pepper posted:

Most of those gameplay issues are handily fixed in the international version MrAptronym.

I'll be so goddamned mad if FF12HD doesn't happen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gologle posted:

:golfclap: bretty gud. Took me a moment to get it.

That wasn't a joke.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I bought the FF type 0 collectors edition because of the FF15 demo. I figured "buying Zone of the enders and Dragon quest 8 for demos of games not released so I can play the demo for the games worked out before". Type 0 has to be the worse game I have ever bought when I only wanted to play the demo!

Its not the combat, but all the cutscenes look like they took a page from Godzilla movies because only one person is on the screen at a time. If there is 2 people on the screen then there is no animations.

Think of it like the codec screen from MGS, there's a lot of text to get through and not enough resources to make it all look good.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Solovey posted:

Adding on to this, the international version also made quickenings and summons more viable by tying their usage to a Mist gauge that was completely separate from characters' MP. And also gave the player full control over summons and their actions, meaning no more figuring what arcane bullshit conditions were required to trigger a particular esper's super sick world-destroying finishing move -- you could just pick it from a menu at your leisure.

I remember that really annoyed me playing XII - having super esoteric things like "Character has got to be doomed/ Both Esper and Character have to be at Critical HP/etc". Goddamn it game, let me use my High-Angel's kill-sat attack.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

I knew a bunch of these but wasn't aware they fixed up the weapons as well which is nice. FFXII seems like it had good ideas but not quite polished. Also didn't know you could control the summons which might actually make me use them at some point.

An HD re-release or even a remake would be super nice. I'd love to play with the ironically japan only international version.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Welp!

I'm playing the Final Fantasy Dimensions phone game, and there's this boss that is unbeatable. I thought it was a cutscene can't beat this guy boss kinda guy, Hecatoncheir, but apparently it's not.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tenzarin posted:

Eh, Yiazmat can be downed in under an hour. It's just faster in IZJS.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I always feel bad for Kimahri when I play through FFX, because he's not bad, there's just basically no reason to ever use him. But on this run of FFXHD for the first time, I figured I might as well give him a go. I'm playing through incredibly slow anyway, since it's hard to push through an RPG you've already beaten. Man was it worth it for Bevelle. Kimahri deciding he's sick of Seymour's lovely speech and impaling him mid-breath is top 10 FF moments of all time forever. Sure the next few seconds made him look like a doofus since he had to stand there with his dick in his hand as Seymour no sells it, but it was still badass for a minute there.

MrAptronym posted:

3. The game gets super easy at the end.

This is just funny to me because I remember hating every second of FFXII. The disc I got was used and it was scratched, so it kept freezing or stuttering. I couldn't really get into any of the characters or the plot. I remember dying a lot, because I couldn't stand the battle system. I mean what's the point of giving me control if it's MMO style and you can't really dodge things anyway? Boss moves that matter are gonna freeze time, so I might as well stand still. Or run. So I ran from drat near everything which I thought was gonna bite me in the rear end, but it didn't. I remember being on some kind of airship and just running through every alarm and guard and everything until I hit a boss. When I got to that boss I just spammed Quickening + Mist Charge + Quickening until he died. I know I've got good reflexes, but seriously that system is broken. After I'd done like 30 of them I decided to check and see if the boss had died. He did. When I realized that I could kill bosses by mashing X and not paying attention, I reached a limit and popped the game out and returned it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SonicRulez posted:

This is just funny to me because I remember hating every second of FFXII. The disc I got was used and it was scratched, so it kept freezing or stuttering. I couldn't really get into any of the characters or the plot. I remember dying a lot, because I couldn't stand the battle system. I mean what's the point of giving me control if it's MMO style and you can't really dodge things anyway? Boss moves that matter are gonna freeze time, so I might as well stand still. Or run. So I ran from drat near everything which I thought was gonna bite me in the rear end, but it didn't. I remember being on some kind of airship and just running through every alarm and guard and everything until I hit a boss. When I got to that boss I just spammed Quickening + Mist Charge + Quickening until he died. I know I've got good reflexes, but seriously that system is broken. After I'd done like 30 of them I decided to check and see if the boss had died. He did. When I realized that I could kill bosses by mashing X and not paying attention, I reached a limit and popped the game out and returned it.

You might have been dying a lot because you did things like go "I might as well just stand still while the boss hits me." Moving around can definitely be important, and the amount of moves that "freeze the screen" and hit you wherever you are can be counter on like 7 fingers. Edit: Ok, I lie, a lot of bosses had one flashy super move, but you could actually get several character out of the way of those, usually, and that doesn't mean you didn't have to worry about positioning for their other attacks.

Also, Quickenings are very powerful for, like, the first third of the game. They drop off in usefulness pretty sharply once you can't one-shot bosses with them, because they leave you out of MP and desperately trying to recover. They're also pretty heavily luck-based; you're not always going to get huge quickening chains, it all depends on how generous the game feels like being with giving you recharges.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 11, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
FF12 should've had not stolen from, pailing, and magick barrier gambits.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

You might have been dying a lot because you did things like go "I might as well just stand still while the boss hits me." Moving around can definitely be important, and the amount of moves that "freeze the screen" and hit you wherever you are can be counter on like 7 fingers. Edit: Ok, I lie, a lot of bosses had one flashy super move, but you could actually get several character out of the way of those, usually, and that doesn't mean you didn't have to worry about positioning for their other attacks.

Also, Quickenings are very powerful for, like, the first third of the game. They drop off in usefulness pretty sharply once you can't one-shot bosses with them, because they leave you out of MP and desperately trying to recover. They're also pretty heavily luck-based; you're not always going to get huge quickening chains, it all depends on how generous the game feels like being with giving you recharges.

They're still useful if the boss has a MP-draining gimmick or throws up a shield when low on health. Sometimes it's enough to kill off that last quarter of health.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, even if you can't dodge, positioning is pretty important. The boss moves that freeze time are usually big nukes, but for a lot of the bosses it's chain attacks, spells or constant arena effects that are the real problem. They only use those moves a couple times a battle anyway and I literally never lost to one in my playthrough.

I'll also second the bit about quickenings, because they stop being amazing pretty rapidly and go to 'useful finishers' and then eventually to just a fun gimmick. I also don't think I ever managed a 30 chain. I think 28 was my best and I literally changed the game-speed so I could do the entire thing frame perfectly. Its possible I am just bad though and when I did cheat to test it I got unlucky. I think my best quickenings hit for 50-60k and my normal attacks hit for about 4-8k depending on the character. (Also the boss you are talking about, judge Ghis, is a cakewalk, I'll admit that. )

I mean its fine if you don't like the game, some people dislike the plot/combat which is fine. As I said in an earlier post, the cool thing about FF is how each game changes up the plot/setting/combat to keep things different. (Okay, most of the recent plots have been 'Party on personal quest' -> 'party discovers they are playing into some guy's master plan' -> 'party are swept up in saving the world' -> 'party finds another solution, changes fate and kill god')

I would like to mention one other thing they I disliked about XII though: Only active party members getting XP. In international version at least you would have characters that function differently, but having to allot time to all the characters evenly feels like an unnecessary pain. I just abandoned half the party completely

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FF12 should've had not stolen from, pailing, and magick barrier gambits.
Edit: A 'holding item' gambit would have been sooo nice. I have the motion for selecting steal as muscle memory now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its been forever since I considered 12 in a serious way but I thought the min max approach to quickenings was you could get an mp recharge from the roullette on top of an actual quickening attack or ten.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

zedprime posted:

Its been forever since I considered 12 in a serious way but I thought the min max approach to quickenings was you could get an mp recharge from the roullette on top of an actual quickening attack or ten.

MP recharges from Quickenings don't apply after the Quickening chain is over. If you've burned a Mist bar, it's gone afterwards.

In fact, if you start with a full 3 bars, and only use 1 bar before ending the chain, you retain 2 bars. However, if you use 1 bar, Mist Charge, use another bar, and don't do anymore, you lose all 3 bars afterwards.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Armitage posted:

Welp!

I'm playing the Final Fantasy Dimensions phone game, and there's this boss that is unbeatable. I thought it was a cutscene can't beat this guy boss kinda guy, Hecatoncheir, but apparently it's not.

I've played this game almost to perfect completion (which in this case is really just maxing all jobs, collecting all memories, because Dimensions doesn't have a lot to keep players interested in 100% it) and I'm drawing a total blank on this. Which team is it, or if you're past where the teams reform, which jobs are you using on what people?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MrAptronym posted:

I knew a bunch of these but wasn't aware they fixed up the weapons as well which is nice. FFXII seems like it had good ideas but not quite polished. Also didn't know you could control the summons which might actually make me use them at some point.

An HD re-release or even a remake would be super nice. I'd love to play with the ironically japan only international version.

Yeah the way they balanced the weapon is pretty good.

• Each job can only use one or two weapon types, so it doesn't matter how awesome the Zodiac Spear is if you don't have a Dragoon.
  • Raw statistical tweaking, changing up the stats of each to add more flexibility and reliability.
  • New weapons of each type for endgame, so every job has a good weapon to use.
  • Most importantly, the removal of the 9999 damage cap made the distinction between the "Slow anD Hard Hitting" and "Weaker with High Combo Rate" actually matter rather then the former being useless come endgame.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

• Each job can only use one or two weapon types, so it doesn't matter how awesome the Zodiac Spear is if you don't have a Dragoon.
  • Raw statistical tweaking, changing up the stats of each to add more flexibility and reliability.
  • Most importantly, the removal of the 9999 damage cap made the distinction between the "Slow anD Hard Hitting" and "Weaker with High Combo Rate" actually matter rather then the former being useless come endgame.

Okay, I am sold. SE, bring on the HD re-release so I can waste my money. Most of my complaints with a game I already love have been addressed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrAptronym posted:

Okay, I am sold. SE, bring on the HD re-release so I can waste my money. Most of my complaints with a game I already love have been addressed.

Yeah, I liked FFXII to begin with, but there's no way I could go back to playing the original after playing IZJS. There are just so many little improvements that end up making a big impact. Real shame there hasn't even been whispers of an HD release.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

Zodiac spear isn't even the best weapon for the dragoon. And breakers can debuff every boss in the game into hitting like a wet rag.

Sucks that if you have too many casters casting sucks since there is a spell queue for how many spells can be happening at once.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 11, 2015

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Gologle posted:

I've played this game almost to perfect completion (which in this case is really just maxing all jobs, collecting all memories, because Dimensions doesn't have a lot to keep players interested in 100% it) and I'm drawing a total blank on this. Which team is it, or if you're past where the teams reform, which jobs are you using on what people?

It's where you get the dark knight to be a temporary part of your Warriors of Darkness party. I've gotten to the point where he joins the battle. Problem is he misses his attacks, a lot, but that's something that's been normal throughout the game. I've found Precision Shot to be the best skill so far, and am grinding to get all my characters to get it. Unfortunately the dark knight that joins up doesn't have it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I've been playing XIV since people talk about it as if it's the best Final Fantasy thing ever. Is there a particular point where the game really gets great?

I'm at about level 11, it's fine so far but it basically feels like WOW with Final Fantasy music.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

So I've been playing XIV since people talk about it as if it's the best Final Fantasy thing ever. Is there a particular point where the game really gets great?

I'm at about level 11, it's fine so far but it basically feels like WOW with Final Fantasy music.

The story starts out pretty slow, then picks up a bit from 25-35 or there abouts, lulls a bit after that but is interesting again for a while, then you get to the lvl 50 (Old lvl cap) patches and those are kinda tedious until the very last parts, which are great. The Primal (essentially summons) battles are all pretty cool and some of them have really good music. The expansion has been really enjoyable for me so far at least, but I haven't done the current endgame dungeons yet.

But it is at its core an MMO, and one that has a higher ratio of fetch quests/talk to people quests than other ones.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I forgot how bad FF3 was. It's a rare day when a modern remake of a NES RPG is somehow more backwards and unfun than the original.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

MotU posted:

But it is at its core an MMO, and one that has a higher ratio of fetch quests/talk to people quests than other ones.

Honestly I feel like this is a plus, since I always hate the "kill x things" quests in games, or even worse, "get x things that are a rare drop from y." At least with quests where you just talk to people, you know exactly how long it'll take you and you can teleport almost anywhere you've already been.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Xad posted:

Honestly I feel like this is a plus, since I always hate the "kill x things" quests in games, or even worse, "get x things that are a rare drop from y." At least with quests where you just talk to people, you know exactly how long it'll take you and you can teleport almost anywhere you've already been.

Wait, you can teleport? When I tried out FF XIV at launch I had to rent a chocobo that ran on a set path. If they have Guild Wars 2 style teleporting now, I will have to give it another shot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

triplexpac posted:

FF14 also is fairly slow burn becuse the 1 to 50 experience is literally designed to be a tutorial on how to play MMOs for people who never have. Consequently the dungeons don't get super interesting til 30+ with Brayflox Longstop and Sunken Temple of Qarn, and many classes lack key abilities that bring out the full complexity of their rotation til the 40s. Looking at you Dragoon.

This can be frustrating for MMO vets but is probably for the best because dumping the full complexity of say Monk on somebody would be overwhelming.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ragequit posted:

Wait, you can teleport? When I tried out FF XIV at launch I had to rent a chocobo that ran on a set path. If they have Guild Wars 2 style teleporting now, I will have to give it another shot.

For FF14, you have to activate crystals in the area. It's not a super convenient fast travel as just "give me this exact position" and you have to pay a small fee, but fast travel is there.

Returning back to a designated home city however is free and has its own cooldown.

Also, what FF14 are you talking about? There's two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ragequit posted:

Are you talking about FF14 1.0 the game that was burned to the ground or FF14 ARR the game that was built atop its smoldering ruins.

The latter has had fast travel since launch. The game explains this at length.