Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
UCLA announced the schedule for our Fall camp. It starts in a month. Football is so close guys :negative:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

boy I hope we don't suck this season

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeremor posted:

Florida's rebuilding and Georgia's QB situation is really dire and I'm not sure if I buy the Tennessee hype so hey, maybe South Carolina can be the team that falls rear end-first into the SEC East title this year instead of Missouri.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Jeremor posted:

mebbe the boys can pick off the big away game.

think some of the new starters can really help.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I'll just be happy if our defense is at least watchable, honestly. can't loving stand watching a defense like last year's again, I may just do something crazy, like rooting for Alabama or punching a woman in the head

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Jeremor posted:

I'll just be happy if our defense is at least watchable, honestly. can't loving stand watching a defense like last year's again, I may just do something crazy, like rooting for Alabama or punching a woman in the head

I remember watching SCAR vs. Texas A&M last year. Your defense can't possibly be as bad as that again, right?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I really have nothing to look forward to next season for college ball, my team is gonna be so loving awful and it won't be the same without my favorite Wazzu poster to drunkenly talk poo poo about how bad the Huskies are :smith:. Seriously, the Vegas O/U for wins is 4, and I would very seriously consider taking the under (although my previous gambling advice has been, uh, errant to say the least :v: ).

I guess my only solace, as usual, will be looking to see how Oregon blows it again

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

This is really funny

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jeremor posted:

Your defense just faded away in the 4th quarter.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
N: VT's entire DL was named to the Nagurski watch list.

V: :stare:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
FSU with 20 sexual assault accusations over the past 6 years. Stay classy Tallahassee PD.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dalvin turned himself in

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jeremor posted:

I hear you, man. Defense has been the one (1) thing in our history that we've routinely done pretty well, so it was a huge slap in the face to have to watch a shitshow of epic proportions each week. The saddest part is that if our defense had been even mediocre, we could've had a 9-10 win season.

nate fisher posted:

Your defense just faded away in the 4th quarter.

The biggest issue was that we didn't field a single SEC-caliber defensive lineman (not any who were starter quality, at least). That started a domino effect that wreaked havoc on our linebackers and especially our secondary. The LBs were forced into essentially playing out of position because we hastily adopted elements of the 3-4 to help the pass rush (which went horribly awry since that isn't our base defense and we don't have the right kind of players for it). The DBs were largely a young and inexperienced group, to be fair, but even a veteran squad wouldn't be able to defend much with the quarterback getting 5+ seconds to throw on every passing down. The SEC is just too much of a line of scrimmage league to throw a ragtag crew of role playing/situational d-linemen out there and expect anything but disaster.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

I hear you, man. Defense has been the one (1) thing in our history that we've routinely done pretty well, so it was a huge slap in the face to have to watch a shitshow of epic proportions each week. The saddest part is that if our defense had been even mediocre, we could've had a 9-10 win season.

The biggest issue was that we didn't field a single SEC-caliber defensive lineman (not any who were starter quality, at least). That started a domino effect that wreaked havoc on our linebackers and especially our secondary. The LBs were forced into essentially playing out of position because we hastily adopted elements of the 3-4 to help the pass rush (which went horribly awry since that isn't our base defense and we don't have the right kind of players for it). The DBs were largely a young and inexperienced group, to be fair, but even a veteran squad wouldn't be able to defend much with the quarterback getting 5+ seconds to throw on every passing down. The SEC is just too much of a line of scrimmage league to throw a ragtag crew of role playing/situational d-linemen out there and expect anything but disaster.

You could have been describing a lot of Auburn's issues last year, as well, except our LBs were pretty decent. We just couldn't get a consistent push with the D-line to save our lives. Once DE Carl Lawson was lost before the season, we were pretty much toast. Nobody stepped up to fill in that role, so it was pretty easy for teams to double team the DTs, and that left the secondary completely exposed. I'm really hoping that with Muschamp coming back to coach, Lawson being healthy, Cowert hopefully being as good as advertised, Cassanova McKinzey and Kris Frost picking up and executing the new defensive scheme, and Irvine providing help to a (hopefully) healthy Jones, the defense might finally be decent for the first time since, like, 2008.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

N: VT's entire DL was named to the Nagurski watch list.

V: :stare:

Too bad Reavis was a dumbass, though, that one will hurt for a while

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Revoke Ohio State's national championship imo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Morby posted:

You could have been describing a lot of Auburn's issues last year, as well, except our LBs were pretty decent. We just couldn't get a consistent push with the D-line to save our lives. Once DE Carl Lawson was lost before the season, we were pretty much toast. Nobody stepped up to fill in that role, so it was pretty easy for teams to double team the DTs, and that left the secondary completely exposed. I'm really hoping that with Muschamp coming back to coach, Lawson being healthy, Cowert hopefully being as good as advertised, Cassanova McKinzey and Kris Frost picking up and executing the new defensive scheme, and Irvine providing help to a (hopefully) healthy Jones, the defense might finally be decent for the first time since, like, 2008.
DaVonte Lambert is another guy to watch at DE; I expect him to be starting at the beginning of the season opposite Lawson but maybe wind up splitting time pretty evenly with Cowart as gets more acclimated later in the year. Knee surgery in November kept him out of the last two games and spring practice but he's a senior who the coaches love. Most TFLs on the line last year but that was not hard to do given the problems you've mentioned.

I worry that McKinzy and Frost are getting oversold; they're perennial "this is the year they live up to that potential" guys playing for their third DC now. Maybe it's promising that there's not even a whiff of looking to anyone else for the starting spot but honestly there aren't many other options there -- Tre Williams and ... ? I'm more optimistic about the secondary but that could evaporate with the first injury.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

DaVonte Lambert is another guy to watch at DE; I expect him to be starting at the beginning of the season opposite Lawson but maybe wind up splitting time pretty evenly with Cowart as gets more acclimated later in the year. Knee surgery in November kept him out of the last two games and spring practice but he's a senior who the coaches love. Most TFLs on the line last year but that was not hard to do given the problems you've mentioned.

I worry that McKinzy and Frost are getting oversold; they're perennial "this is the year they live up to that potential" guys playing for their third DC now. Maybe it's promising that there's not even a whiff of looking to anyone else for the starting spot but honestly there aren't many other options there -- Tre Williams and ... ? I'm more optimistic about the secondary but that could evaporate with the first injury.

Lambert didn't immediately pop to mind, but you're right to keep an eye on him.

As for Frost and McKinzey, I think they have done pretty well for themselves. It cannot be easy changing DCs as often as they have had to, and they have handled the situation pretty well. There have been times where they screw up but, overall, I think they've been solid. If they pick up Muschamp's scheme, their chances of going to the NFL will definitely increase. I was really relieved they decided to come back. If the offense can pick up where it left off and if the defense can not be godawful, I like Auburn's chances to have a good season next year. Really excited/nervous for the Louisville game and LSU in Death Valley is week 3 (and thankfully an afternoon game). I'll be in ATL during the Louisville game.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If we are talking about things that we are excited to see, I am pretty amped to see how our defense does in general with a full year under Pruitt. The massive change he was able to make in one season with Grantham's recruits said a lot, now we actually have guys he wants to play for us playing, and those that are returning (should) have a solid grasp on the playbook. I am not ready to pen us in for a top 10 or anything like that, but we came up to 16th (ESPN's rankings) in 2014 from 52nd in 2013. In one season that was huge. Lorenzo Carter at OLB sounds like he is the truth (camp hype and all that), Leonard Floyd is set to have a great season, we went on a DB shopping spree this year so a lot of the recruits that have come in as freshmen seem to be pretty hungry.

Things I am less excited about are whatever the hell Schottenheimer is going to do. We have Malcom Mitchell & Justin Scott Wesley if they are healthy, Terry Godwin as a freshmen, McKenzie is rediculous but short, and a stable of running backs that are great when healthy. I expect Chubb to get his fair share, but he won't be doing 30+ a game like he did last season as long as Michel stays healthy too. Keith Marshall I want to have a massive year this year because the guy is so drat likable and has gotten the short end of the injury stick, but who knows. I think you will see a lot of what we did against Clemson and Auburn, backs sharing the load until the late 3rd to 4th when we just run heavy all day every day to get the RTDB quota in check.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

If we are talking about things that we are excited to see, I am pretty amped to see how our defense does in general with a full year under Pruitt. The massive change he was able to make in one season with Grantham's recruits said a lot, now we actually have guys he wants to play for us playing, and those that are returning (should) have a solid grasp on the playbook. I am not ready to pen us in for a top 10 or anything like that, but we came up to 16th (ESPN's rankings) in 2014 from 52nd in 2013. In one season that was huge. Lorenzo Carter at OLB sounds like he is the truth (camp hype and all that), Leonard Floyd is set to have a great season, we went on a DB shopping spree this year so a lot of the recruits that have come in as freshmen seem to be pretty hungry.

Things I am less excited about are whatever the hell Schottenheimer is going to do. We have Malcom Mitchell & Justin Scott Wesley if they are healthy, Terry Godwin as a freshmen, McKenzie is rediculous but short, and a stable of running backs that are great when healthy. I expect Chubb to get his fair share, but he won't be doing 30+ a game like he did last season as long as Michel stays healthy too. Keith Marshall I want to have a massive year this year because the guy is so drat likable and has gotten the short end of the injury stick, but who knows. I think you will see a lot of what we did against Clemson and Auburn, backs sharing the load until the late 3rd to 4th when we just run heavy all day every day to get the RTDB quota in check.

I really think UGA could have a huge year this season or next. Pruitt is that good of a DC, in my opinion. If he sticks at UGA for several seasons I would not be surprised to see them reach a playoff game.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

VT is gonna have a monster defense and will be totally unwatchable on offense

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Declan MacManus posted:

VT is gonna have a monster defense and will be totally unwatchable on offense

Shockingly decent on O. There's too much skill position talent to be that bad.

But whatever, I honestly can't wait to watch this DL. Never been this excited to watch a specific position group at VT and I'm going to try to spend some games watching nothing but them.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Who gives a gently caress who won this sham of a tournament that people have been begging for since well forever. We should probably just give it to Florida State, I mean they were undefeated.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dattserberg posted:

I really think UGA could have a huge year this season or next. Pruitt is that good of a DC, in my opinion. If he sticks at UGA for several seasons I would not be surprised to see them reach a playoff game.

Schottenheimer.gif

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Rad Valtar posted:

Who gives a gently caress who won this sham of a tournament that people have been begging for since well forever. We should probably just give it to Florida State, I mean they were undefeated.

Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DOOP posted:

Schottenheimer.gif

Where is HOTLANTA MAN when I need him?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

DOOP posted:

Schottenheimer.gif

I lose :(

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech

So Florida State then?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Where is HOTLANTA MAN when I need him?

Sorry, I read the words "schottenheimer.gif" and my heart seized up for a minute

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Rad Valtar posted:

So Florida State then?

I think the only two schools who make sense are Virginia Tech and the Michigan State Spartans really.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I think the only two schools who make sense are Virginia Tech and the Michigan State Spartans really.

But Oregon beat Michigan State

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Hmm....

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Metapod posted:

But Oregon beat Michigan State

Ohio State also. But I'm going with Michigan State if I have to choose between them and Virginia Tech because the empty trophy case is too hilarious.

Michigan State does have the two best losses which is apparently the only thing people care about.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Crotch Bat posted:

There's too much skill position talent to be that bad.

As a Texas fan, let me tell you this is a real bad way to think about things.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan State DID NOT lose to Virginia Tech, I repeat, DID NOT.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan State DID NOT lose to Virginia Tech, I repeat, DID NOT.

Let me check the numbers to confirm and get back to you.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
While running the various numbers and algorithms I have proven definitively that the University of Michigan lost to Rutgers. Thank you for your hearts and minds, this hearing is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I say death penalty or send them to the FCS where they have a chance at winning something meaningful.

• Locked thread