Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
anyone play on tygem know why people request to start counting so often? is this a way of resigning or what? usually its when im pretty well ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I just had what I felt to be my first real match tonight on KGS, after 10 games of bumbling about. I mean, I still lost to the 17k guy with a 5 stone handicap by around 50 points, but I actually made some connections and played a few tesuji, and ended with about 40 points more then usual. He was super helpful and pointed out what I did wrong right after I did it so it was fresh in my mind. I didn't know I could get so excited about a game from a loss :v:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Mederlock posted:

I just had what I felt to be my first real match tonight on KGS, after 10 games of bumbling about. I mean, I still lost to the 17k guy with a 5 stone handicap by around 50 points, but I actually made some connections and played a few tesuji, and ended with about 40 points more then usual. He was super helpful and pointed out what I did wrong right after I did it so it was fresh in my mind. I didn't know I could get so excited about a game from a loss :v:

What tesuji did you play?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got two ladders (well both un resolved but mutually agreed as dead stones) and I don't know what to call the other one or even if it's technically a tesuji, but it was a sneaky cross cut to get a 2 stone capture that connected most of my center.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Mederlock posted:

I got two ladders (well both un resolved but mutually agreed as dead stones) and I don't know what to call the other one or even if it's technically a tesuji, but it was a sneaky cross cut to get a 2 stone capture that connected most of my center.

I never thought of calling a ladder a tesuji, but I'm guessing the second one is the crosscut tesuji in which case I didn't learn about that until I read the book tesuji. I think it was called Gross girt tesuji in the book? Was that a typo?

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Quad posted:

If any of y'all are Chicagoons, there's a club in Schaumburg, thursday nights, at a Starbucks. I used to go a lot, but stopped since it's a bit far away. I'd go again if there were goons though.

Pander posted:

Yeah I'm southwest suburbs. I could try that out sometime. Saw the groups on the go association site but didn't know if they were active or just relics.

There's also a club that meets in Lakeview (in the city) on Tuesday nights, which is the one I tend to go to. You should check it out!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ThePineapple posted:

There's also a club that meets in Lakeview (in the city) on Tuesday nights, which is the one I tend to go to. You should check it out!

Nah, a bit too far for me. I don't go into the city too much.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ive got nick sibicky and andrew jackson teaching classes like an hours drive from me.

but its an hours drive

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Pander posted:

Nah, a bit too far for me. I don't go into the city too much.

I'm in Aurora; there's also apparently one at Fermilab again, Wednesdays I think... but I had an idea a while back.
I'm quitting smoking, along with some other things (like fast food all the drat time etc), and my $$ is going to heal pretty soon. What if... I started my own club in the West Suburbs? There's sets out there that are reasonable quality for like $50 a pop, I could just get a few of those, and find a coffee shop, and BAM I have a club.
Anyone have experience starting a Go Club, advice?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

ive got nick sibicky and andrew jackson teaching classes like an hours drive from me.

but its an hours drive

But it's Nick Sibicky

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Grats, the feeling of slowly progressing at DDK is a great one

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

In this tournament I am playing a lot of opponents whom I have never heard of. Who are you people?

i'm in the goon ladder with a different username, sparsely

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this is pretty drat awesome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/web-go-board/cdmhoehokaoghadonjfdbhieajggfbmd

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Can anyone help out?

I recently had this non-joseki played out against me:
http://eidogo.com/#Ascd38NG
(I would be black in this diagram)

The cut at Q15 is definitely not in any joseki I know of, but I was unable to punish it and it ended up being a big win for my opponent. What should I do here?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
atari at q14 instead?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also that joseki up until move 10 is in eidogo's joseki library

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

After seeing black 5 I realise this is the exact same joseki prodigious played against me that caused me to die.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

uranus posted:

atari at q14 instead?

Added some variations with an atari at q14:
http://eidogo.com/#t5A8881l

The best it seems to get is a wall on the right side, but for some reason it still doesn't feel amazing to me. There's a cut at p14, but repairing it will cause black to lose sente.

Also, I checked josekipedia and white's q15 cut seems to be a mistake, but there's no entry on how to respond to the r18 slide.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

seriously though this is effing cool

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The wall seems ok to me.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Re: go club chat, just went to the local club that plays out of the university this afternoon, it was pretty sweet. Since it's summer break a decent number of people aren't there apparently, so it was mostly Asian guys, most pretty old, and an older white dude. Got my rear end totally handed to me by a 4dan player with a 9 stone handicap, with a slightly better but still devastating game against a shodan player. I definitely prefer playing live

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
misreading ladders makes me want to punch myself in the face

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Reading Kageyama makes me feel better

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
should be in my mailbox when i get home!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Black to play

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Xom posted:

Black to play

Wouldn't it be H1? Forces J1, then F2 kills.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xom posted:

Black to play

h1, g2, e1, d1, d2, f2, e1? Posting from phone, true reading test

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Pander posted:

Wouldn't it be H1? Forces J1, then F2 kills.

uranus posted:

h1, g2, e1, d1, d2, f2, e1?
wowowow good job
(how the hell did you see H1)

Xom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 14, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Xom posted:

wowowow good job
(how the hell did you see H1)

Was reading Kageyama lately, compared to his problems this wasn't too hard :)

e. to get a bit more into my thinking Just thought about how I could disconnect eyes and/or find weak groups to separate once it seemed like reducing eyespace wouldn't work alone. No way to kill separated F2 group yet. H2 group had limited free space, and I knew that if I could force a white stone at J1 then it'd be a false eye that I could exploit. After the H1 move, it was a matter of figuring out how to leverage my 2 liberties with F1 vs his 2 liberties with the F3 group.

Pander fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 14, 2015

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
BUT both of you neglected to point out that White can resist with ko

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

Was reading Kageyama lately, compared to his problems this wasn't too hard :)

Try to read what to do after w plays g2 in response to h1

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

F1? Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I finally made 9k on IGS! I hope to be dan by this time next year.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i reached 9k on ogs about 9 months ago

i am now 10k on ogs :'(

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hey I made KGS 6k like four years ago and haven't progressed past that point up til now (IGS ranks are stronger, at least at the kyu level), mainly because I only played very infrequently up until recently. do you play often?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i try to play a game every day, but usually its more like every other day. i make moves in correspondance games every day. and i do a few tseumego almost every day also. probably i am lacking in the effort area.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Indeed. The better you get the more effort it takes to progress I reckon.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i played a game.

http://eidogo.com/#3fK4Izwlh

the whole top should have been dead but for a series of blunders on my part. i fell pray to the 'match your opponents speed' problem that i often have in online games. take hand off the mouse between moves!

this style of play seems really bad though, the games they do win must be just through brute forceing a fuckup out of their opponent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Black to play

Haven't read any of the spoilers yet:

I say H1. White probably has to play F2 to make a ko, if no and he captures the stone, black plays the atari and basically captures the entire group so then white's only choice in response to H1 is to connect G2. But then black can play E1. White cannot connect at D2 because black will be able to escape so he has to block with D1.. Black then can cut D2, white take, then black E1 to falsify the eye. I messed up the move order originally and played D2 and expected white to block instead of, you know, just descending down to E1.

It's still a ko.

This took me longer than it needed but I tried to make sure I got everything.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 14, 2015