Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

The main issue with the ending is Pucci wins entirely through author fiat. And I guess that's the only reason anything happens in a story, but usually there's more than a token effort at obfuscating that. I also don't like endings where everyone just dies, but that's a personal thing. I was also really happy in Steel Ball Run that Johnny addresses the issue that if Gyro is replaced by an alternate version of him, it's not really the same dude, his friend is still dead, which is a bit of a bugbear of mine too and so I didn't really like Emporio just farting off with Irene and Co at the end of SO. But Pucci had three cool stands and Emporio beating him was bad rear end.

I think Emporio knows that too but what choice does he have, really? He's outside of the prison on his own for the first time in his life, his only friends are dead and he's stuck in some alternate world with alternate versions of his friends (or acquaintances at least) so going with them must have seemed like the natural thing to do.

I'm sort of on the fence about the ending but I'm kind of a sucker for bittersweet endings myself. Even I had to take a break after SO though, oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

King Crimson is cutting up to 10 seconds out of everyone elses collective time while Diovolo gets to do poo poo. Still happened but no one else can percieve it happened. Why do people find this stand hard to understand?

Because the chapter King Crimson first shows up in is total nonsense and even later on it seems to go back and forth between being able to and not being able to effect things in erased time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Like someone already said, I look at it like finally the Joestars don't have to fight anymore. The bloodline is free from being locked into bizarre adventures. It's bittersweet for sure but it's a good capstone to everything.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I was also really happy in Steel Ball Run that Johnny addresses the issue that if Gyro is replaced by an alternate version of him, it's not really the same dude, his friend is still dead, which is a bit of a bugbear of mine too and so I didn't really like Emporio just farting off with Irene and Co at the end of SO.

Stone Ocean addressed this too, though, with FF. That was kind of a thing with Stone Ocean, the idea of bringing things back but they just aren't the same and once you're gone, you're gone, even if there's someone who looks just like you in a different timeline.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Horses posted:

Yes but then you have stuff like narancia getting murdered and king crimson removing a hand during erased time.

The first showing of King Crimson like D4C does not really make sense with what it can do. But Narancia does work with what he can do. Here are lovely pictures showing how it worked.

Aka King Crimson uses it's super speed to quickly pop out of Mista Trish and toss Narancia into the air and skips time once he is in the air and retreats back into Mista Trish. He then repeatedly skips time so no one notices Narancia until he is fully dead. As they will continue to do what they would have done during the Skipped 10 seconds, but because they are not aware of what happens not they would not notice something like Narancia flying or screaming. They then discover his dead body.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is anyone ever going to talk about the fact that when diavolo uses king crimson there's thousands of people dying in plane and car accidents

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

is anyone ever going to talk about the fact that when diavolo uses king crimson there's thousands of people dying in plane and car accidents

No

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Here's my question: If someone was video taping diavolo performing the king crimson time skip to let an attack phase through him, who would give a poo poo?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I would

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would have Diavolo as a roomie. I'd say "Hey, Diavolo, I'm gonna start cooking, skip forward 30 minutes" and because I'd already know what was going to happen, I wouldn't be confused every 10 seconds and essentially, my food would be done instantly.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if the body swapping near the end of Part 5 was what inspired the Stand Discs in Part 6. Makes sense for it to.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I love Stone Ocean but Made in Heaven was terrible because it was an excuse for Araki to focus on the worst part of JoJo, ~wacky~ gore happening to normal people because of Stand users.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MonsterEnvy posted:

The first showing of King Crimson like D4C does not really make sense with what it can do. But Narancia does work with what he can do. Here are lovely pictures showing how it worked.

Aka King Crimson uses it's super speed to quickly pop out of Mista Trish and toss Narancia into the air and skips time once he is in the air and retreats back into Mista Trish. He then repeatedly skips time so no one notices Narancia until he is fully dead. As they will continue to do what they would have done during the Skipped 10 seconds, but because they are not aware of what happens not they would not notice something like Narancia flying or screaming. They then discover his dead body.

Why would he have to skip time after throwing N? Couldn't KC See the timeline like this with his precognition?
I see an opportunity -> [I pop out to Narancia and grab him -> I throw him into the fence] -> Dead Narancia impaled on fence
And then cut out the parts between brackets? It's shown he can do stuff during the time that gets cut out, everyone just "forgets" about that part.

But KC is confusing at first because of the whole "What you hit was your future self" nonsense he pulls on Bucellati. That entire fight is just "Wait, what is... How did he...?" the first time reading through. When you get to the actual later fights with him he gets internally consistent but his introduction is just a ride of poo poo that contradicts what the series later establishes as his abilities.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

But KC is confusing at first because of the whole "What you hit was your future self" nonsense he pulls on Bucellati.

It's just the epitaph ability but applied to bruno instead of doppio

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Why would he have to skip time after throwing N? Couldn't KC See the timeline like this with his precognition?
I see an opportunity -> [I pop out to Narancia and grab him -> I throw him into the fence] -> Dead Narancia impaled on fence
And then cut out the parts between brackets? It's shown he can do stuff during the time that gets cut out, everyone just "forgets" about that part.

He can't attack people during that time that is going to be erased, but he skips it even if he doesn't do anything else (like set blood traps) because it confuses people and it allows him to hide and reposition himself for the next attack opportunity. There's no reason not to if you can do it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Stop me if you've heard this one before

It just works

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

King Crimson basically lets Diavolo use the power of jump cuts on reality (I've seen this joke used a couple times on Nico Nico so I'm pretty sure that's how it works :nyoron:)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think my main problem with King Crimson is that so much of it can just be attributed to The World. That explanation about Narancia dying is something DIO could do, so I end up having to think his power is actually used totally differently, instead of just going to the actual answer. I just tell myself it's server lag and I'm done with it.

Also the Buccelati thing just doesn't make sense when you know the rules of his stand (He can't affect people during skipped time). Araki probably didn't have his power down for sure, so things ended up changing, but when you have a confusing stand in a manga that can get confusing already, it doesn't really help.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tonfa posted:

I love Stone Ocean but Made in Heaven was terrible because it was an excuse for Araki to focus on the worst part of JoJo, ~wacky~ gore happening to normal people because of Stand users.

What's it like being dead inside?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Diavolo can't do anything that would change what the people affected by the time erasure do because it's fated to happen, which is why he can't just see with Epitaph someone walk up stairs, erase time and kill them before they reach the top. That would be a paradox, you can't die and walk up stairs at the same time.

What he can do though is see himself doing a succesful sneak attack on Narancia and erase that time so that nobody realizes it happened. Narancia was going to die either way.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As far as I've been able to figure it out KC's power is basically equivalent to teleporting everything in the universe to where it would be in X seconds.This works for me and I don't question it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Momomo posted:

That explanation about Narancia dying is something DIO could do,

It's really not, though.

The World stops time, and Dio can do whatever he wants for a few seconds. He could conceivably throw Narancia on the fence, but it wouldn't immediately kill him and everyone would probably notice Narancia screaming in pain because that dude's loud.

King Crimson skips time. It basically just snuck up on everyone while they weren't looking, threw Narancia onto the fence really fast, then skipped time repeatedly (which notably confuses the rest of the cast) until Narancia bled out.

Basically if it was Diavolo against the Part III crew, Kakyoin would have never been able to fire off a final Emerald Splash. :colbert:

EDIT: And then Star Platinum would randomly develop the same powers. STAR PLATINUM -CRIMSON-

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Tonfa posted:

JoJo's was founded on cheap gore and continues to have it to this day. This sort of thing happens in every single part with much more egregious examples than the stuff happening in Made in Heaven. And at least it had a point to show off that the acceleration was on global scale and interfering with everyday life instead of more pointless examples of gore like Joseph's magnetized body pulling nails through a guy's face or Love Train redirecting Johnny's nail bullet to break a lock on a lion's cage, allowing the lion to eviscerate a dude.

Made in Heaven owns.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So Norisuke has just went on a pages long ramble to Jousuke on the fruit business and how to make the perfect melon parfait. I don't know why but I kind of love when Araki just goes off on insane tangents like this, like with the dude with Superfly.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

standard owl posted:

King Crimson basically lets Diavolo use the power of jump cuts on reality (I've seen this joke used a couple times on Nico Nico so I'm pretty sure that's how it works :nyoron:)

Weirdly, this explanation makes the most sense to me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Tonfa posted:

The gently caress are you on about

Normies dealing with Stands is always great

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There should be many more panels where people watch a Stand fight and are all "what the gently caress?"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

BlitzBlast posted:

It's really not, though.

The World stops time, and Dio can do whatever he wants for a few seconds. He could conceivably throw Narancia on the fence, but it wouldn't immediately kill him and everyone would probably notice Narancia screaming in pain because that dude's loud.

King Crimson skips time. It basically just snuck up on everyone while they weren't looking, threw Narancia onto the fence really fast, then skipped time repeatedly (which notably confuses the rest of the cast) until Narancia bled out.

Basically if it was Diavolo against the Part III crew, Kakyoin would have never been able to fire off a final Emerald Splash. :colbert:

EDIT: And then Star Platinum would randomly develop the same powers. STAR PLATINUM -CRIMSON-

Yeah but if Narancia is able to scream wouldn't everyone have reacted as they normally would have during the skipped time which means that they would have saved Narancia?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's all a moot point because The World is mechanically different in every way and if DIO wanted to kill Narancia before he could make a sound and alert everyone to him, he'd have cut his head off or something else to instantly kill him in frozen time and not have to worry about waiting for him to bleed out. It doesn't sound like a huge thing if you look on the surface of how those stands work, but there's no comparison at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Hypocrisy posted:

Yeah but if Narancia is able to scream wouldn't everyone have reacted as they normally would have during the skipped time which means that they would have saved Narancia?

No, because to everyone else it's just suddenly 10 seconds in the future. That's the whole point of skipping time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

No, because to everyone else it's just suddenly 10 seconds in the future. That's the whole point of skipping time.

People still act normally during skipped time, though. Otherwise they couldn't walk up stairs or eat chocolate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, if you're struggling with it, rather than thinking of it as skipping time, you might be better off thinking of it as King Crimson erasing the last ten seconds of memory from everyone except Diavolo. That's not how it works, but if you can't get your head around time being deleted but the things in that time still happening, just visualise it as everyone forgetting what happened and being confused about that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

how does MANDOM work

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

how does MANDOM work

Pure Beauty

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

a cartoon duck posted:

how does MANDOM work

Imagine four men on the edge of a cliff.

This is a real man's world.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
RIP Gaucho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm still a bit confused as to why the dude who was going to rape Ringo was eating a potato.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aurain posted:

I'm still a bit confused as to why the dude who was going to rape Ringo was eating a potato.

To show how gross he is.What kind of maniac just eats a raw potato?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Probably because he was hungry.

Is it that unbelievable he might've broken into Ringo's house looking for food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WrightOfWay posted:

People still act normally during skipped time, though. Otherwise they couldn't walk up stairs or eat chocolate.

people can't react to the things KC does, that's his power. they behave as if kc did nothing at all during the time skip. so normally, they'd be talking with mista for those 10 seconds. instead, kc throws mista on to a fence, but they keep on talking as if mista were still there. then when the timeskip ends their memories and state of mind are the same as right before the timeskip.

basically, imagine people are on a preordained autopilot during kc's timeskip. he can interact with them, but they keep on acting like nothing's changed from the preordained timeline

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 11, 2015