Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's like the army actually realizes that docs, nurses, and PAs can walk out and be essentially guaranteed a job as a civilian, almost no questions asked. I'm just a little surprised that they actually realized this.

they've known for a long time- the bonuses that docs gets are goddamn ridiculous, along with the rank they give

my old BC came in to the army as a O-5 for being one of the best heart surgeons on the east coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's one reason I don't understand the outcry generated when people talk about having tech experienced people join the army at "appropriate ranks" based on their job experience. The army already does this with the medical field.

Then again, the army is dumb and the people in it are dumb. I am dumb.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Those are all people who started from the bottom because they don't have said valuable skills.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's basically it. If that guy doesn't get abused like I did, then he doesn't deserve to come it a higher rank!

Then cries about lovely health care because no doctor will join for E1 money.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The direct commission folks go through their version of basic or whatever you want to call it at OCS and live in the same barracks. They mostly irritated officer candidates because we were envious of them walking around in civvies chatting on their phones, no weird "traditional" OCS way of sitting down to eat at the DFAC and most importantly they got to be normal people at the end of the day while we were doing typical OCS busy work until we went to bed.

I'm sure anyone that's been to the DFAC by IBOLC and OCS has seen or at least heard OCS candidates sit down to eat.

edit: also they mostly seemed to be 1LTs and a few captains.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mustang posted:

The direct commission folks go through their version of basic or whatever you want to call it at OCS and live in the same barracks. They mostly irritated officer candidates because we were envious of them walking around in civvies chatting on their phones, no weird "traditional" OCS way of sitting down to eat at the DFAC and most importantly they got to be normal people at the end of the day while we were doing typical OCS busy work until we went to bed.

I'm sure anyone that's been to the DFAC by IBOLC and OCS has seen or at least heard OCS candidates sit down to eat.

edit: also they mostly seemed to be 1LTs and a few captains.

thats because theyre more important than you scrubs

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

Since I wasn't a gay noble, how do they sit down to eat? Like they're pretending to have a giant tree branch shoved up their rear end in a top hat?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You stand at attention after putting your food on the table. Once the last person gets there the first person yells "You have 10 minutes to eat! TAKE! SEATS!" At TAKE you pull your chair back and on SEATS you sit down. For the first week or two you usually have a cadre member there telling you you did it wrong or you aren't loud enough so you might do it like 10 times before actually getting to eat. First person also keeps track of those 10 minutes.

So yeah it's dumb and gay.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
10 minutes seems excessive

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

When I was in basic, we had ten seconds to eat and we had to do it while screaming, "yes, Drill Sergeant!" Kids these days got it easy, I tell ya. :bahgawd:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's like the army actually realizes that docs, nurses, and PAs can walk out and be essentially guaranteed a job as a civilian, almost no questions asked. I'm just a little surprised that they actually realized this.

Pretty much any officer who isn't a complete retard can be guaranteed a good job that pays more than they made in the military. Unfortunately, right around the time that 4 + 2 ADSO for the sweet combat arms branch obligation runs out, a lot of people have already started a family and the whole job security thing takes priority over working with competent people and not having to wear a retarded pajama suit every day.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Mustang posted:

You stand at attention after putting your food on the table. Once the last person gets there the first person yells "You have 10 minutes to eat! TAKE! SEATS!" At TAKE you pull your chair back and on SEATS you sit down. For the first week or two you usually have a cadre member there telling you you did it wrong or you aren't loud enough so you might do it like 10 times before actually getting to eat. First person also keeps track of those 10 minutes.

So yeah it's dumb and gay.

Army philosophy in a nutshell: "Let's teach NCOs to be officers by teaching them to be privates all over again!"

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Pretty much what's going on at CLC at Fort Knox. Most of the Cadets I'm watching have a good head on their shoulders, but the program seems like abridged entry training that does little more for their leadership than Basic did for PVT Snuffy. Adapting to countless FRAGOs, sitting in Lightning Protection Areas watching the rain for hours and fifty buzzwords headlining obfuscated end states is what makes "gold bars at Ft Knox"(c) 2015 MG Combs"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Pretty much what's going on at CLC at Fort Knox. Most of the Cadets I'm watching have a good head on their shoulders, but the program seems like abridged entry training that does little more for their leadership than Basic did for PVT Snuffy. Adapting to countless FRAGOs, sitting in Lightning Protection Areas watching the rain for hours and fifty buzzwords headlining obfuscated end states is what makes "gold bars at Ft Knox"(c) 2015 MG Combs"
The first three years of ROTC are spent learning basic training and WLC stuff (and doing lots of PT). Assuming CLC is the new name for LTC, it's really just a course for people who missed the first year/two years of ROTC, so yeah it's just an abridged entry program. LDAC is the assessment course that tests everything you learned during your first three years, so again it's really just WLC with a lot of patrolling and STX lanes.

Generally, your 4th year of ROTC is where you spend time learning some officer stuff (mostly PowerPoint and planning FTXs for the underclassmen). The rest of it is taught in BOLC and, frankly, on the job, because a medical service officer needs a vastly different body of knowledge and training than an infantry officer.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 10, 2015

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
CLC replaced LDAC, actually. Besides that, there's CIET where I understand Drill Sergeants smoke them... Along with their cadre. At least I dodged that bullet.

A handful might go to See The LT after this. It can't be less fruitful, unless they use their Cadets for menial tasks beneath the most junior of their enlisted.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There are menial tasks below junior enlisted?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

what do you do with the other 9 and a half :a2m:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
gently caress MILES gear forever.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

The first three years of ROTC are spent learning basic training and WLC stuff (and doing lots of PT). Assuming CLC is the new name for LTC, it's really just a course for people who missed the first year/two years of ROTC, so yeah it's just an abridged entry program. LDAC is the assessment course that tests everything you learned during your first three years, so again it's really just WLC with a lot of patrolling and STX lanes.

Generally, your 4th year of ROTC is where you spend time learning some officer stuff (mostly PowerPoint and planning FTXs for the underclassmen). The rest of it is taught in BOLC and, frankly, on the job, because a medical service officer needs a vastly different body of knowledge and training than an infantry officer.

Are they still teaching that FRAGOs are somehow a cardinal sin and you should never do one despite the fact that most units cut a single base order for a year/an AT and just FRAGO off that endlessly?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not sure what ROTC is like today but OCS is like a never ending stream of FRAGOs all day every day for 3 months but they also told us we will have to deal with constant FRAGOs at our units.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
It's FRAGO rock at cadet summer camp

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Are you constantly told how terrible you are at cadet summer camp? Because in OCS you're always told you're terrible retards until like the last 3 weeks.

edit: like being told to use initiative and think outside the box but always told were wrong and dumb when we do.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mustang posted:

Are you constantly told how terrible you are at cadet summer camp? Because in OCS you're always told you're terrible retards until like the last 3 weeks.

edit: like being told to use initiative and think outside the box but always told were wrong and dumb when we do.

well you did join the military, even after reading gip for years

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

well you did join the military, even after reading gip for years

can't argue with that

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bell_ posted:

gently caress MILES gear forever.

You didn't zero your laser correctly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mustang posted:

Just wait until E-1s are saying it 24/7 about you.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I have never actually used MILES gear that was turned on/working/had batteries. We would have to wear it for some exercises then yell BANG BANG at each other and throw pine cones and poo poo.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

.50 cal MILES gear is the worst poo poo ever. Those humvees wouldn't die.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

.50 cal MILES gear is the worst poo poo ever. Those humvees wouldn't die.
B-b-but... space gun!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

And it's so much worse cleaning that poo poo after blanks.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
bradley MILES gear is the worst. gently caress putting all that velcro and sensors and poo poo on the gun onto the loving brad. it never loving worked, ever.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It is hilarious that in tyool 2015 the army is still using MILES. poo poo is, and always was, hot loving garbage.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Carteret posted:

It is hilarious that in tyool 2015 the army is still using MILES. poo poo is, and always was, hot loving garbage.
Quoting the gently caress outta this

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o posted:

bradley MILES gear is the worst. gently caress putting all that velcro and sensors and poo poo on the gun onto the loving brad. it never loving worked, ever.

oh man i never thought of tank miles gear

god drat thats horrible

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Isn't it 80's technology?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Isn't it 80's technology?
MILES is old enough that my old man used it on his tanks.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Spicy Guacamole posted:

MILES is old enough that my old man used it on his tanks.

So bowling alleys with laser tag have better technology.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

So bowling alleys with laser tag have better technology.
Toys "R" Us has better technology.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Somehow the medic gets voluntold for the loving MILES turn-in at JRTC like a loving sacrificial lamb; never in my life had I seriously contemplated exactly how I would go about choking on my own tongue as much as I did that day.

• Locked thread