Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Since it was asked in-game earlier, I figured I'd post what I'm doing for rarity aetherical reductions.

I'm trying to decide which ultimately is better of the two rotations below. Full disclosure, I'm awful at math and statistics and am overall p stupid

Discerning > Methodical x3 = will net you a single ~512 collectability item, which is a 6/8 rarity item.

Impulsive > (If proc) Single Mind > Methodical > Single Mind > Discerning Eye > Methodical = will net you 3 items with ~500 collectability, also 6/8 rarity. Relies on a 30% chance to proc opener; if it fails to proc, you really should just methodical twice and move on.

I'm unsure if there's a better rotation, and have spent the better part of a couple days trying to find more information on how to hit 8/8 rarity, but so far everything I've found involves use of Last Ditch and tons of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

Zereth posted:

Every time I try to follow a link to a specific post it doesn't work. :shrug:

your computer is trying to protect you because it loves you doesn't want to see you suffer

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zereth posted:

Every time I try to follow a link to a specific post it doesn't work. :shrug:

Mobile links don't work on desktop and vice versa because Square is good at computers.

If you're on mobile, try request desktop version

Or just take it as a sign

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I put down marks if I see the DPS going for two different mobs at once.

And then one of them will proceed to ignore the marks anyway.

This actually makes sense as a summoner, because the less monsters that are alive, the less dots you have going. Ideally as a summoner you want every monster to die around the same time.

And this is also why kill marks are stupid.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If a tank marks in non-raid content, mark the tank as 1 and start attacking 2.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got to 54 on Monk today. I know it shouldn't be hard but I am having a gently caress of a time dividing my combat-free (either in a boss or between packs) GCDs between putting myself in a form to keep up buffs/GL and actually getting to bloody use Forbidden Chakra. Is this just a practice thing or does anyone have any advice?

Does MNK change much more from here to 60?

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.
The moment a pull stops I just slam Meditation until I have 5 stacks. There's usually enough time between pulls to get at least that up, and if I have some extra time I get in a Form Shift or two. At 56 you get kamehameha Elixir Field, which is an off GCD AOE you should use on cooldown. Otherwise no, pretty much all the new monk stuff are just filler things to do while moving between mobs - not that that's a bad thing, as it's taken what was all ready a good feeling class and made it better.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Once you hit ~30-40 and get your tank stance, marks are pretty much meaningless.

Besides, at 50+ black mages and summoners will do double or triple the dps on aoes as opposed to single-targeting.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

Marks can be useful in low-level dungeons where you might not have the tools you need to effectively keep aggro but once you have your tanking stance and definitely once you hit 50+ you should have enough AoE threat generation at your disposal that keeping aggro isn't a concern regardless of what the DPS are doing, at least so long as you're paying even just a little bit of attention to the threat meters.

If they have Flash, Overpower, or Unleash, a tank has all the tools you need to effectively keep aggro. If they still can't, that's them loving up.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, even on Paladin Flash and cycling targets is enough to keep threat. The only time I ever mark stuff is when people are ignoring some mechanic that needs to be killed because it's casting Doom or whatever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i literally never do anything except 2x overpower - flash and you can have my aggro when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

i've been running vault all evening and let me tell you if i can pull aggro off you as MCH, you are loving something up

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i kept pulling aggro off of my DK mt (as War) during ravana so eventually i had to skip entire gcds

what is the actual way to not take aggro off of bad tanks?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i kept pulling aggro off of my DK mt (as War) during ravana so eventually i had to skip entire gcds

Boot them and get a tank in FC chat. Seriously, tanking in MMOs now is about cooldown management, not threat management.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Niton posted:

Use WTFast, it completely fixes things since it hides the game's traffic from the (netflix) throttling.

It worked!

All the negative reviews are weird with people claiming it didn't work. A lot of them seem to be outside the US, maybe it only works for North America?

Shame about them trying to bribe for reviews too, the product seems to stand well enough on its own, certainly worked for me.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is me. I'm sorry. Mostly out of spite for the tank either marking a mob that no one is attacking or not marking the one I'm already on.

Ciaphas posted:

I got to 54 on Monk today. I know it shouldn't be hard but I am having a gently caress of a time dividing my combat-free (either in a boss or between packs) GCDs between putting myself in a form to keep up buffs/GL and actually getting to bloody use Forbidden Chakra. Is this just a practice thing or does anyone have any advice?

Does MNK change much more from here to 60?

Getting stacks to use Forbidden Chakra isn't really practical to fit into your rotation, and the best thing to do is save it for an alpha strike and build up stacks during down time.

Also you get tornado kick at 60 which is off GCD and great as a finisher on the last mob in a pull, or an "Oh poo poo I'm about to lose greased lightning" button.

year199X fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 11, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'll mark a mob in a giant aoe pull that has a gently caress off ground effect. Becsuse when you do these pulls you're still going to focus your auto attacks on at least one mob while spamming the aoe attacks. So if the first one to die is the most annoying one it works out.

Also when I do small but quick pulls they die quicker when I mark a 1 and 2 on two of the mobs in the pack so the dps attacks accordingly. Usually works out and my runs are always 18-25 mins long.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've been having a lot of issues with Verizon lately as well, so it could be an ISP-wide thing.

Robo Reagan posted:

Boot them and get a tank in FC chat. Seriously, tanking in MMOs now is about cooldown management, not threat management.

It wasn't an issue of him dying (he did die though), it was just me pulling aggro off of him while OTing.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rei_ posted:

i've been running vault all evening and let me tell you if i can pull aggro off you as MCH, you are loving something up

I ran Vault earlier tonight on my DRG and a MCH and I kept pulling aggro from a DRK. He took a ton of dmg too while tanking bosses, not sure what was going on.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kuai posted:

I got kicked out of an Aery for AOEing on SMN and "not following target marks"

Why are tanks such big cucks?

A lot of tanks still haven't learned of the glory and majesty that is Painflare.

Painflare HARDER. It's the only way.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Pretend that Butcher's Block doesn't exist and just rotate Storm's Eye/Storm's Path. If you're still pulling aggro, get a new MT.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

TwistedNails posted:

I ran Vault earlier tonight on my DRG and a MCH and I kept pulling aggro from a DRK. He took a ton of dmg too while tanking bosses, not sure what was going on.

the amount of tanks i've ran into even post 50 that think grit and darkside are mutually exclusive has been overwhelmingly high, maybe it was that

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At first I thought they were exclusive when I was setting up my bars after turning into a DRK for the first time.

Then I hit both buttons.

It's amazing what you can learn in two seconds just by trying something rather than assuming it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Rafzakael posted:

Since it was asked in-game earlier, I figured I'd post what I'm doing for rarity aetherical reductions.

I'm trying to decide which ultimately is better of the two rotations below. Full disclosure, I'm awful at math and statistics and am overall p stupid

Discerning > Methodical x3 = will net you a single ~512 collectability item, which is a 6/8 rarity item.

Impulsive > (If proc) Single Mind > Methodical > Single Mind > Discerning Eye > Methodical = will net you 3 items with ~500 collectability, also 6/8 rarity. Relies on a 30% chance to proc opener; if it fails to proc, you really should just methodical twice and move on.

I'm unsure if there's a better rotation, and have spent the better part of a couple days trying to find more information on how to hit 8/8 rarity, but so far everything I've found involves use of Last Ditch and tons of luck.

It obviously requires luck, but I've hit 8/8 just by doing Utmost Caution + Single Mind + Impulsive twice, then two more impulsive (or impulsive and then methodical if it procced). If at least 3 of them proc, it should be 8/8. I have 576 perception, though (and try to use food buffs on top of that). It's not really worth it because you don't seem to get anything special from it, just landborne/leafborne aethersand, which don't seem to have a use currently. They probably will eventually though so I'm tempted to buy up all the cheap ones on the mb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bonewitch posted:

Once you hit ~30-40 and get your tank stance, marks are pretty much meaningless.

Besides, at 50+ black mages and summoners will do double or triple the dps on aoes as opposed to single-targeting.

You don't do that much more dmg with aoe unless its like 10 mobs. Its only a very minor increase of total damage to aoe 3 mobs.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Rand Brittain posted:

The best thing about lalafells is how everybody takes them completely seriously and nobody in the game ever treats them as children or adorable or in any way less worthy of serious consideration than, say, a roegadyn.

The worst thing about lalafells is that I can't figure out a way to make the above rule compatible with a flat prohibition on talking about them in any kind of sexual context.

fear over being associated with creepy pedophiles has destroyed your brain

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So another Goon MCH and I did some testing earlier and found something really interesting. He was complaining that his DPS was really low and watching his rotation, I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed his Lead Shots were ticking for about half of what mine were. His gear wasn't a lot worse (I was 175 vs. his 170, we both had the 180 gun), but the damage per tick was so much less. To test, I swapped out some accessories to get down to 170, and sure enough, my DoT was ticking for around as much as his was.

So long story short, it looks like the scaling on MCH damage might be kind of crazy.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
As a healer, I'd just like to give a shout out to PLDs who use Clemency. Not just on themselves, but on the DPS, or even on me when I have stuff to do and haven't noticed my own life dropping. You guys are the best. :neckbeard:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Silvergun1000 posted:

So another Goon MCH and I did some testing earlier and found something really interesting. He was complaining that his DPS was really low and watching his rotation, I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed his Lead Shots were ticking for about half of what mine were. His gear wasn't a lot worse (I was 175 vs. his 170, we both had the 180 gun), but the damage per tick was so much less. To test, I swapped out some accessories to get down to 170, and sure enough, my DoT was ticking for around as much as his was.

So long story short, it looks like the scaling on MCH damage might be kind of crazy.

I wonder if the same applies to all the other classes and the new ilvls are just skewed as gently caress

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I made a reddit thread for visibility https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3cw4st/the_problem_with_mch_may_be_that_their_scaling_is/

pandaK posted:

I wonder if the same applies to all the other classes and the new ilvls are just skewed as gently caress

A curious thought, maybe?

edit: vvv ty math is hard

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 11, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just looking for any sort of causal relationships, maybe there's some sort of mathemagical bullshit that goes on once you cross the 900 stat threshold ("The difference in DEX was 19. (889 vs 918)").

Also that's a difference of 29 points, just nitpicking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

psymonkey posted:

Whenever I see a tank start putting down marks I know I'm in for a good time. They are almost always atrocious at holding aggro. When I switched from tank to SMN and started taking aggro all the time I was like "maybe it's me?" Then when I switched back to tank and had 0 issues holding aggro for smn's I was like "no, it's definitely them".

I put down marks because not killing the mob that applies the Debuff Du Jour makes everyone's life harder, the activity slower, and everyone's more miserable as a result.

It staggers me how few people know to prioritize the Alpgrot Orobon in Dzmael Darkhold, for example. Tanks and not-tanks both.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 11, 2015

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

No, the new monk skills were just poorly thought out and form shift makes the rest of them redundant for almost all current content outside of Ravana Ex.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

pandaK posted:

New ilevels definitely are not super consistent. Going from an Yasha Casting Chest to Asuran Casting Chest, 170 to 180, is +3 INT (75 -> 78). Going up to a Gordian chest of casting from Asuran, or 180 to 190, is +8 INT (78 -> 86). I don't know if that's relevant to the point, though, as while a difference of 29 DEX is significant I wouldn't expect dot damage to double.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Ever get a tank so god drat stupid you swear they're trolling but it turns out they're really THAT stupid?

Had one of those in a Bismarck learning party. Holy poo poo.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

I find this hard to believe. You don't mention very much about how you tested it or the sample size. I find it super unlikely someone at i175 has bigger dot ticks than me when I have i180. Maybe there is some weird side stat fuckery but my dot doesnt even tick for 500 on a crit. Did you test this for more than like 2 ticks.

Dots will mash into one big pile that ticks for a combined damage though it shouldn't do it from two different sources but maybe it does now.

Lunch! Finally! fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 11, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Magil Zeal posted:

New ilevels definitely are not super consistent. Going from an Yasha Casting Chest to Asuran Casting Chest, 170 to 180, is +3 INT (75 -> 78). Going up to a Gordian chest of casting from Asuran, or 180 to 190, is +8 INT (78 -> 86). I don't know if that's relevant to the point, though, as while a difference of 29 DEX is significant I wouldn't expect dot damage to double.

Okay I'm gonna go off on a tangent but drat am I noticing a ton of the same names I saw in GW2 in FFXIV (so far Ascalonian and Asuran).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well Asura and Yasha are Japanese (and others) mythological concepts while Ascalon is a city that was important in the Crusades, and the latter pops up in the Knights of the Round ability names.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Eej posted:

Well Asura and Yasha are Japanese (and others) mythological concepts while Ascalon is a city that was important in the Crusades, and the latter pops up in the Knights of the Round ability names.

The reference to the city is kind of indirect. St. George's legendary dragon-slaying weapon was named Ascalon (after the city), and in-game, Ascalon is King Thordan's sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah I totally missed that. I blame 5AM posting.

• Locked thread