Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Morton, trap god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How does one differentiate between a "trapping" character and a "zoning" character? Aren't they both basically the same thing, using projectiles and items to reduce your opponent's options? There's plenty of characters that can do that in this game to varying degrees.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I guess you could say it's a rectangle/square situation, trappers are all zoners but not all zoners are trappers. Except no one actually uses the term "trappers"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah at most you'll hear people say that a character has traps, it isn't really an archetype. same reason a divekick character is still just a rushdown character.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also P:M people who rightfully loathe the new announcer, the Skullgirls announcer made a voice pack that's like a billion times better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9DJIHi5Y0

here's a download link, hopefully it works

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Countblanc posted:

also P:M people who rightfully loathe the new announcer, the Skullgirls announcer made a voice pack that's like a billion times better.

It's actually repulsive to me, down to the pit of my stomach, that this video doesn't represent unmodded PM.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If you want a zoning character with traps, you want Duck Hunt, absolutely no question

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
The differences between zoners and trappers are pretty nebulous at times, but IMO the defining characteristics are "I wanna play keep-away" for zoners and "I want you to go here whether you like it or not" for trappers. Duck Hunt is definitely a trapper, but a zoner in Smash could only be Mega Man.

Mega Man is a walking armory of projectiles, but only one or two of them have any utility besides being fired directly at the enemy; the only difference is which direction they go. His few close-range moves, if not at KO percentage, are best used to keep the enemy away from you so you can keep shooting stuff at them until they are at KO percentage. Most Smash characters encourage getting in close, but for Mega Man you always want to keep the enemy just out of arm's reach until you're going in for the kill.

Duck Hunt has fewer projectiles, but they all have some unique mechanic to them: the can is shot around the arena at the player's whim and explodes on contact with an enemy or when shot enough times, the clay pigeon is a normally weak projectile that can be "detonated" in a multi-hit burst, and the Wild Gunmen are both delayed striker projectiles and meat shields. They're all somewhat slow, but they're also quite strong and there's nothing stopping you from throwing out all three at once; with some practice, it's pretty easy to mindgame the enemy into avoiding one thing so he'll get hit by the other thing.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Duck hunt is not a trapper, he's a hunter. The clue is in the name people.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

Duck hunt is not a trapper, he's a hunter. The clue is in the name people.
On the other hand, Mike Hunt is a trapper.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A fun word for trappers who play keepaway games is Trapper Keeper, colorful characters born in the '90s. They seem impenetrable at first but don't worry, they will fall apart sure as day.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Reiley posted:

A fun word for trappers who play keepaway games is Trapper Keeper, colorful characters born in the '90s. They seem impenetrable at first but don't worry, they will fall apart sure as day.

They're also banned from school because of all the noise they make.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

what was school like in Nazi Germany?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

thank god. also i'm glad the person who recorded that understood the importance of mashing dedede's name

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Sade posted:

If you want a zoning character with traps, you want Duck Hunt, absolutely no question

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Duck Hunt /Dog/Duo when I wrote that. They're fun, but I haven't really got the hang of them yet.

mabels big day posted:

How does one differentiate between a "trapping" character and a "zoning" character? Aren't they both basically the same thing, using projectiles and items to reduce your opponent's options? There's plenty of characters that can do that in this game to varying degrees.
Trapping is a subset of zoning, definitely. I'd say the distinct characteristics of a trapper is attacks that linger. Testament in GG, Byakuya in UNIEL, Emperor in Dissidia, Mu-12 in Blazblue and Zelda in Project M are some examples of trappers.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you want to read about frame data here is a cool website http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4 they don't have everyone yet but they seem to be working on it.

For reference:
Hitbox Active are the frames in a move where it causes damage.
FAF is First Active Frame, or the first frame where you're no longer stuck in a move and can do something else.
Base Dmg. is the damage percent a move does when it's fresh.
BKB is Base Knockback, or how hard the move will throw your opponent away. WBKB is "weight-based knockback" and I'm honestly not sure how applicable that is (???)
KBG is Knockback Gain, or how sharply knockback scales with damage percents.
The game runs at 60 frames per second, if you want to translate moves into some rough idea of how many seconds it lasts

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the site is pretty good for frame data but i dont agree with a lot of the difficulty choices

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tonetta posted:

the site is pretty good for frame data but i dont agree with a lot of the difficulty choices

Yeah those bars are kind of dumb and arbitrary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand lucina's playstyle being 'forward smash' owns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

on the other hand lucina's playstyle being 'forward smash' owns

Much unlike Lucina in Smash unfortunately

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
dunno if anyone is watching but theres been some hilarious matches so far. Team Leffen Mango actively trying to kill each other in 2s and M2k playing Pichu

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
King K Rool needs to happen.

Also I badly need friends to play this game with on Wii U, please add Athropos to your friends so we can smash some fools or ourselves!

Athropos fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 11, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Game and Watch + Sheik banned at evo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

So what does that combo do that's so crazy, because for whatever reason they decided not to even mention what makes G&W and Sheik such a broken pairing??

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sheik's Vanish fills G&W's bucket in two uses and is an instant KO on hit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Reiley posted:

If you want to read about frame data here is a cool website http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4 they don't have everyone yet but they seem to be working on it.

For reference:
Hitbox Active are the frames in a move where it causes damage.
FAF is First Active Frame, or the first frame where you're no longer stuck in a move and can do something else.
Base Dmg. is the damage percent a move does when it's fresh.
BKB is Base Knockback, or how hard the move will throw your opponent away. WBKB is "weight-based knockback" and I'm honestly not sure how applicable that is (???)
KBG is Knockback Gain, or how sharply knockback scales with damage percents.
The game runs at 60 frames per second, if you want to translate moves into some rough idea of how many seconds it lasts

flare blade is 10 frames safer than Fsmash for roy, and 5 frames safer than dash attack, on a miss.

note to self: stop throwing out fsmashes, protect your Boy.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's a mystery why Sheik's up-b puts out a projectile hitbox, or counts for the bucket at all. It's like the last thing in the world to make sense for bucket filler.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

it's a mystery why they made sheik and zss so loving annoying. jesus. ZSS's iframes on her flip especially.

i'm just terrified the fans moaning about roy (who's pretty well-balanced IMO) will get him nerfed into melee levels of poo poo while Sheik and Zss and other boring-to-watch keepaway characters stay top tier.

at least Sonic's up top representing Fun and Action, because otherwise the top 8 would be garbage.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk why they are banning that when Sakurai thinks it totally acceptable in the game..hes the one that greenlight sheiks explosions to count like pikachu's lightning jolts or Samus charged shot. Salty EVO

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

at least Sonic's up top representing Fun and Action, because otherwise the top 8 would be garbage.

the only thing "fun" about sonic is spamming every move that makes him dash into a ball and only playing that way

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

bef posted:

the only thing "fun" about sonic is spamming every move that makes him dash into a ball and only playing that way

yeah exactly. that's Pro Strats. it's called mixups and mindgames, pleb.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

yeah exactly. that's Pro Strats. it's called mixups and mindgames, pleb.

Taint Reaped agai - wait what

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Taint Reaped agai - wait what

you wound me. my heart is Valerai Aichin'

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

bef posted:

Idk why they are banning that when Sakurai thinks it totally acceptable in the game..hes the one that greenlight sheiks explosions to count like pikachu's lightning jolts or Samus charged shot. Salty EVO

I think it may be an oversight, since this strat never worked in Melee or Brawl, and because Villager could pocket Sonic's Spring and Pac-Man's Trampoline, until that was patched out.

Reiley posted:

WBKB is "weight-based knockback" and I'm honestly not sure how applicable that is (???)

For example, the star that King Dedede shoots with his Inhale will do more damage and knockback based on the character he's spitting. Heavier characters do much more (Bowser can kill fairly early); Jigglypuff does jack-all. I'm not certain if Kirby's Inhale has the same properties, or if they're as pronounced.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I didn't know that was even a thing!!! Always learning...... thank you

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Smash...Smash is fun <3

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

bef posted:

Smash...Smash is fun <3

You're not foolin' me

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

It's a mystery why Sheik's up-b puts out a projectile hitbox, or counts for the bucket at all. It's like the last thing in the world to make sense for bucket filler.

They made all bombs and explosions fill the bucket, like Link's bombs.

Game and Watch is one of the best characters in this game, so he should be allowed in my humble opinion. I would love to see top 8 doubles be shiek/g&w dittos, sincerely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think G&W and Sheik are allowed, you just can't run the specific combo of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think G&W and Sheik are allowed, you just can't run the specific combo of them.

Well yeah but i want to see the combo because it's funny

• Locked thread