Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Trastion posted:

The Costco butts I used to get always had bones in them. Did they recently make them boneless? Or maybe it is different brand or whatever at different stores?

Boneless at the Hillsboro Costco in Oregon. Butts butts butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So last time I did some baby back ribs in my WSM, around 230-240 ish, and they seemed to take a long time (5.5-6hr) which seems long for baby backs from what I understand. But they were just barely getting tender (tear test) at that point. Yet at the same time, they were fairly dried out on the meat above the bone, even with 3-4 sprays with apple juice from the 3+ hour mark on. I didn't foil them, though.

Going simply by tenderness I would say they probably could have used another hour or so even, but that seems like they would have been terribly dry by then as well.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ezrem posted:

I've got a HeaterMeter setup for my Vision Classic (Costco BGE knockoff), and it is phenomenal. After brief setup and lighting the coals, the entire cook is 100% hands off. Not really a budget approach though, unless you happen to have the major components laying around already. That said it can't be beat for the price.

Thanks for all your hard work, CapnBry.

Is there is an idiots guide to building one of these things?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Rescue Toaster posted:

So last time I did some baby back ribs in my WSM, around 230-240 ish, and they seemed to take a long time (5.5-6hr) which seems long for baby backs from what I understand. But they were just barely getting tender (tear test) at that point. Yet at the same time, they were fairly dried out on the meat above the bone, even with 3-4 sprays with apple juice from the 3+ hour mark on. I didn't foil them, though.

Going simply by tenderness I would say they probably could have used another hour or so even, but that seems like they would have been terribly dry by then as well.

Are you using a proper thermometer to measure the temp in the WSM, or are you using the one in the lid? The one in the lid can be off by as much as 25 degrees in either direction. That cook shouldn't have taken more than 4.5 hours at the very most.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Rescue Toaster posted:

Did you make sure to pre-boil your ribs?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Did you make sure to pre-boil your ribs?

You say this as if it's gospel, but I've never heard it before. I'm new to smoking, but the few videos I've watched (including Franklin) don't mention boiling. Can you elaborate?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Par boiling ribs is not advised by anyone that i am aware of

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

From AmazingRibs.com:

Myth #1: Boil ribs to make them tender
A lot of folks boil their ribs. Don't do it! You wouldn't boil a steak would you? When you boil meat and bones, you make flavorful soup. That's because water is a solvent that pulls much of the flavor out of the meat and bones and makes the meat mushy. Boiling also removes vitamins and minerals. That's why the water is cloudy when you're done. That's flavor in the water. DOH! Taste tests have shown that ribs are most flavorful when roasted. If you are in a hurry, you are better off steaming or microwaving ribs and then finishing them on the grill or under the broiler. Just don't boil 'em if you want max flavor! If you boil ribs the terrorists win.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Erwin posted:

You say this as if it's gospel, but I've never heard it before. I'm new to smoking, but the few videos I've watched (including Franklin) don't mention boiling. Can you elaborate?

No, he can't, he's trolling.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there is an idiots guide to building one of these things?

There is a pretty decent assembly doc on CapnBry's GitHub.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

Also if you head over to the HeaterMeter forum on tvwbb.com there are several people with 3D printers that will crank out cases and roto-damper assemblies for reasonable prices. John Bostwick over there was also doing builds for people. This is what I did, and received a tested unit I just added my own rPi, WiFi adapter and probes to.

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 10, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Duzzy Funlop posted:

No, he can't, he's trolling.

I think people recommend boiling spare ribs before cooking them in an oven, but obviously that doesn't apply to baby backs in a smoker.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Chemmy posted:

I think people recommend boiling spare ribs before cooking them in an oven, but obviously that doesn't apply to baby backs in a smoker.

No, please don't ever boil your ribs. For any reason. Ever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you folks' opinions on trimming the fat on a brisket pre-cook? The Franklin guy cuts his way down to ¼ inch. Is that what I should do? I have a prime flat if that matters.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What are you folks' opinions on trimming the fat on a brisket pre-cook? The Franklin guy cuts his way down to ¼ inch. Is that what I should do? I have a prime flat if that matters.

I don't trim my brisket whatsoever. I think franklin does it mostly to have something he can mix with his sausage.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

There are some pretty rough pieces of fat on a packer that don't render well and end up pretty tough to eat. Feel around on the brisket and you'll notice that some areas have a very hard, dense feel to them. Trim that out, and that's all you need. The other thing to think of is how much fat your audience wants to consume. Some packers have an inch or more on there, and they may not enjoy that much fat (because they are crazy).

Overall it comes to preference, but I definitely see merit in trimming.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ada shatan posted:

There are some pretty rough pieces of fat on a packer that don't render well and end up pretty tough to eat. Feel around on the brisket and you'll notice that some areas have a very hard, dense feel to them. Trim that out, and that's all you need. The other thing to think of is how much fat your audience wants to consume. Some packers have an inch or more on there, and they may not enjoy that much fat (because they are crazy).

Overall it comes to preference, but I definitely see merit in trimming.

Just never go too far, otherwise you end up with sad, dry brisket. Once I get going it's tempting to indulge my OCD and get every little piece but that way lies madness. It definitely still needs a good bit of fat to stay moist for those long low cooks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume the fat just acts like a blanket to prevent surface evaporation?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I assume the fat just acts like a blanket to prevent surface evaporation?

Pretty much. There are arguments that more fat makes the meat more juicy, but primarily, you want the fat to act as a heat-shield. It needs to be just thick enough to do its job, but not so thick that the lower layers don't render properly.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok another lovely question, I have 2 55 gallon drums but they have sealed lids, anyone know of any good plans for a smoker with a door? I can only find ones that are essentially top loading.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ok another lovely question, I have 2 55 gallon drums but they have sealed lids, anyone know of any good plans for a smoker with a door? I can only find ones that are essentially top loading.

Cutting out a door with a good enough seal is going to be stupid-hard work for something you could buy for $200. I say go top-loader, easier to let gravity do its thing. If you're dead-set, consider a stretched spring attached to the inside. Dunno about the seal.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

Cutting out a door with a good enough seal is going to be stupid-hard work for something you could buy for $200. I say go top-loader, easier to let gravity do its thing. If you're dead-set, consider a stretched spring attached to the inside. Dunno about the seal.

Yea I guess I can just zip-disc the top out and rig it up top loader. But now what do I do with this second drum :(

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Yea I guess I can just zip-disc the top out and rig it up top loader. But now what do I do with this second drum :(

Make two, and invite twice as many people over for BBQ.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now you can have a dedicated smoker for long pig.

fake edit: My brisket went on at 8 this morning. Fingers crossed

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if my rig is holding temperature but I don't see any smoke, do I need more smoking wood? It still smells good so I assume there's stuff in the air, but I just don't know.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

So if my rig is holding temperature but I don't see any smoke, do I need more smoking wood? It still smells good so I assume there's stuff in the air, but I just don't know.

The best smoke is the kind you can barely see.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

niss posted:

The best smoke is the kind you can barely see.

Cool. I'm just seeing occasional wisps. It smells hella good though. 2 hours down, 8 or 10 to go.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Cool. I'm just seeing occasional wisps. It smells hella good though. 2 hours down, 8 or 10 to go.

photos pls when done :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

photos pls when done :)

Will do.

Here's a shot 3 ½ hours in. Does it look about right color wise?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks pretty good to me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

niss posted:

Make two, and invite twice as many people over for BBQ.

As great as that would be, I don't have the space. That being said, my smoker is done and I'm just waiting for the butcher shop to open so I can grab a brisket. I'm stoked for this.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So since I bought a smoker last year I've been sure to take pictures of my finished products, the problem being I then forget about them and never actually post them anywhere. So I figured I might as well post my first brisket--I've actually had a little trouble finding it in Maryland/DC, although I haven't looked incredibly hard. Last weekend I walked into Giant looking for a pork shoulder only to find that there were absolutely none, and only a single 7lb USDA choice brisket flat sitting in the empty bin where the shoulders should be. Seemed like a sign that I should finally try it...

Vacuum sealed, I guess from the butcher:

After the overnight dry brine, I managed to fit all the ingredients I used for the extremely complex rub in this picture:

Tossed it in the smoker with just a little bit of oak and apple, it actually finished relatively fast although the meat hung at like 170F after I put a bunch of ribs in and the smoker temp dropped to 180 for two hours:

Sliced it

Tossed it on a plate:

Also, a random pork shoulder from earlier this Spring:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Will do.

Here's a shot 3 ½ hours in. Does it look about right color wise?

if you lookin you aint cookin

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

That was the first opening to put the probe in. The second time I opened it is when I wrapped it. In the oven now.

And I'm still learning so I like to see what progress looks like.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

and the second, well arguably the first and most important rule. "if a fire is lit, a drink you must equip" :guinness:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So it's crutched in the oven now, thermometer registers 190 after 6 hours. Can that be right? Smoker temp was 225 (allegedly) most of the cook, although it ventured close to 250 a couple of times when it got windy. Seemed to stall at 170 so I wrapped it then then put in a 225 convection oven.

edit: It was a prime (not sure if that affects cooking time) flat, a little under 8 pounds once trimmed.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

niss posted:

and the second, well arguably the first and most important rule. "if a fire is lit, a drink you must equip" :guinness:

This is what undoes me. 16 hours later into a brisket I am sometimes incoherent and pass out while the family pigs out.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Having never cooked with charcoal before. I can get it going but about 20 minutes later I start losing heat

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Having never cooked with charcoal before. I can get it going but about 20 minutes later I start losing heat

What brand of charcoal are you using ? What grill? How do you light it/get it started?

Basically once it's lit you need fuel (the charcoal) and oxygen. If your vents are clogged or not open, it'll shut down.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sellouts posted:

What brand of charcoal are you using ? What grill? How do you light it/get it started?

Basically once it's lit you need fuel (the charcoal) and oxygen. If your vents are clogged or not open, it'll shut down.

Turns out the smoker was in too tight of a corner and wasn't getting enough air circulation. I moved it out into the open and it's going like a charm now. Thanks.

edit: here's a picture of the meat just before I got everything going

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: babby's first brisket

Pros: Moistest brisket I've ever had. Tender. Tasty.

Cons: Not as smoky as I would have preferred. Needs salt.