Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ranked mode rotates between Splat Zones and Tower Control. So in an hour and a quarter maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Why would anyone choose sleeping when eating is far superior? I can have thousands of different flavor/texture combinations, and sleeping can give you nightmares.

No doubt about it, I'm Team Eat even though I'm an NA player...I don't care about rollercoasters or water slides sigh.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Ugh towers on splat zones is just a loving sniper-fest
Guess I'll be avoiding playing that one

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hmm. Eating vs. Sleeping. Well... you kinda need to do both to live, but not sleeping will kill you slower, and with more hallucinating and going crazy and poo poo.

On the other hand, if it were possible to function normally without doing either, I would choose to do without sleep. That would give me an extra 8 hours in the day! So, if I were in EU, I would choose Team Eating all the way!

(But I'm in NA so instead I will fight for the glory of Team Rollercoasters!)

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I would choose Team Sleeping, because dreams are better than real life.

:smith:

(Also water slides forever.)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Ugh towers on splat zones is just a loving sniper-fest
Guess I'll be avoiding playing that one

Go with an inkbrush, be too fast to be sniped call down inkstrikes on snipers, get paid.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Go with an inkbrush, be too fast to be sniped call down inkstrikes on snipers, get paid.

With my lag I die after I've already moved far from whatever position got splatted at - especially against Japanese players

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Haven't played since Kelp Dome came out, hopped on turf war and went 11/0. I love this game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random aside, if you want to sell your soul there's been a number of community votes and Rollercoaster seems to be the one to get the most in all of em. You know, in case you want to have a easy lead on the other team n' stuff.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Being in the smaller side is actually more fun though so I if you know which side is bigger I'd definitely support that

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hahahahaha

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Team food coasters aayyyyyy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

With my lag I die after I've already moved far from whatever position got splatted at - especially against Japanese players

drat, that sucks man. I just hope someone figures out something you can use for this.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
Peeing vs making GBS threads

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheRevolution1 posted:

Peeing vs making GBS threads

As a bird I have no choice in the matter

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eating will win, because the sleepers will all miss the actual Splatfest.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Only gripe I have about the new map is you're way to exposed while trying to climb walls to get at the chargers that make the ramps to the walls needed in the first place!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm going to be team waterslide and I'm pretty sure I will get zero shells as a result, oh well.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Cod dammit, why must it be next week? Welp, I guess that's another Splatfest I'll miss. :negative:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Onean posted:

So, uh, note for the future. If you're slow on picking up your Super Sea Snails, there's a good chance you'll just straight up not get them. Booted up Splatoon today after not playing since Splatfest, and there was no announcement about Splatfest results, nor any mention of Snails and I don't have any. :smith:

Fuuuuuuuuck :smith:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there any chance Nintendo will be selling those Splatoon trucker hats from the tournaments? Those hats are pretty snazzy and I want one

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm going to be team waterslide and I'm pretty sure I will get zero shells as a result, oh well.

Even if you're on the losing team, you'll still get anywhere from 2 shells for basically not participating to 18 for reaching max rank for the day. Just don't have a meltdown over those 6 extra shells and you're golden.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Actually, do have that meltdown.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Man the tower is an absolte blast to play. The options between building your super and getting to the choke point ASAP, the ablity to set up pathways to squid up on. Why wasn't this part of the inital mapset?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Someone teach me how to charger

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fanzay posted:

pray that netcode is on your side

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

dragon enthusiast posted:

pray that netcode is on your side

It never is. So I guess that's out

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man the tower is an absolte blast to play. The options between building your super and getting to the choke point ASAP, the ablity to set up pathways to squid up on. Why wasn't this part of the inital mapset?
For exactly that reason: lots of options when at the time we still were figuring out how to kill rollers

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Fanzay posted:

Chargers have a good amount of variety from the Squiffer to the Elite 3K not to mention the scoped versions, so depending on which one you're using you'll use them differently. I'm no good with them myself because I can't aim worth a drat, so that would be my main advice: turn gyro on and learn how to aim.

Various other things I've seen good chargers doing:

• Aim at the ground so people can't see your laser sight, then snap up to shoot them
  • Don't charge at the beginning and walk to the front lines or just stay charged all the time - only charge if you have a reason
  • Mid-charged shots are best for ink-coverage per second
  • Shoot at the top of walls to make an ink trail down the wall
  • Scopes cut off your peripheral vision and make you easier to sneak up on, so be aware of that when using them and charge appropriately
  • Know the maps well - someone earlier posted a good breakdown of maps from a charger's perspective
  • Don't just hang out in your spawn - you should have a plan for where to position yourself to cover chokepoints or other important areas and be able to move forward or fall back to other positions as appropriate

Of course this comes from someone who is cripplingly bad as a charger and feels bad trying to get good with one because I'm bringing the team down (granted, it's unranked but still). I'm sure someone who's actually good with chargers could give you better advice.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 11, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fanzay posted:

Step one:
Get charger

Step two:
Find containment unit for charger

Step three:
Find a better weapon suited for you.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Fanzay posted:

It requires a good aim and a steady hand, since you're only good at it with the gyro controls. Also don't forget to paint the areas if you don't want to end with around 100p.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah a lot of chargers completely forget to paint the ground and everybody hates them for it, especially since chargers are actually pretty good at inking!

e: A few extra charger battle tactics:

Don't just sit with a full charge and wait for somebody to walk into your crosshairs. Remember that your ink will slow the enemy down, so if you position yourself right you'll give your target no choice but to charge futilely at you, spraying at you with their aerospray while you pop them from a million miles away. Your shots are just as good at impeding enemy movement as they are at getting splats, so always be shooting!

Do be aggressive! You want to be just barely behind the front lines if at all possible. The mere threat of a charger is enough to scare a lot of players into taking non-optimal routes, and if it DOESN'T scare them then you need to make them pay for it. A good charger will survive a lot longer than a front-line fighter, making you a handy jump point for your other teammates. This can turn the tide of a match!

Do have a plan for when somebody gets in your face. You're a sniper, people love rushing down snipers. They're gonna take every chance they can get to do that, so you need a plan B in case things get hairy. The squiffer line is excellent at this, and you can choose either a bubbler or ink mines to get out of jail free or spring a nasty surprise on anyone trying to sneak up on you, respectively. I've seen E-Liter users get some surprise ninja kills with burst bombs, too.

Do use motion controls, but don't set the sensitivity too high. Lately I've been working from +1, which is a good balance between aim stability and look speed. You can use the gyro in conjunction with the right stick to do quick turns, or you can use the Y button to realign the camera behind your squid kid, so lower sensitivities don't impede your mobility at all.

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 11, 2015

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Aerospray users are literally Hitler

Anyway, thanks for the tips! Getting slightly better. Chargers are hard, news at eleven.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Thanks for that, I've been trying to use chargers as a sort of shock troop thing, getting lines into enemy territory and getting ambush kills in order to help my team push through, but I'm not so great at quickdraws so it's been having mixed results. I think a less aggressive style might be a good idea.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the Sploosh-O-Matic and would like something similar in fire rate but with a little more range, where should I be lookin'

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Bown posted:

I like the Sploosh-O-Matic and would like something similar in fire rate but with a little more range, where should I be lookin'

N-Zap is good, but there's an inverse relationship with fire rate and range. You get one or the other.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Bown posted:

The Tentatek Splattershot is so, so good. You can handle literally everything in the game with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice. Probably about time I tried the N-Zap considering how often I get killed by them.

Main thing I want it for is so it's a little less hassle climbing up walls in the tower.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Moray tower is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Since people gave some good charger advice, how about some anti-charger advice? Specifically, how do you deal with a charger when you can't flank them?

Examples of where I've encountered this situation are: Moray Towers when the charger is on the opposite side above the central space, Salt Spray Rig when the charger is on their home area guarding the lower platform or on the raised platforms above the pipes on the top area (not the ones you can flank, the ones where their back is to large top square), and Arowana Mall when the charger is on one of their side platforms watching the central chokepoint.

The possible strategies for dealing with this I'm aware of are:

• Using a special - This requires you to charge a special, though most specials would work: Inkzooka, Ink Strike, Bubbler, Kraken and possibly a Bomb Rush. The charger can still splat you if you use the Inkzooka or Bomb Rush though, and unless you actually splat the charger with the special they might just move temporarily.
  • Using a bomb - You'd actually have to be in range for this, which is difficult against good chargers. Again, unless the charger actually gets splatted they can just move temporarily.
  • Wait for the Charger to be distracted - This is difficult because it either requires good teamwork or taking advantage of the charger's mistakes, but the only consistent way I've found to deal with a charger in these situations is to sneak up on them when they're looking in another direction. If you're doing this, try to keep your ink out of their field of vision.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or stories to share for how they took down a charger?

• Locked thread