Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

What are the pros and cons between Morrison's and Snyder's runs?

Snyder is probably more what you think of as a tradtional Batman story. But while Black Mirror is amazing, it's not a good place to start as it's explicitly not Bruce Wayne. (Due to crossover bullshit, Batman is the former Nightwing, Dick Grayson in that book.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Grant Morrison's run
Jesus Christ no.

I like that run, but I wouldn't throw someone who hasn't read any Batman into it. Even ignoring that just figuring out which comics to read when is a nightmare, it's just really, really not a first time reader thing.

I totally agree with Black Mirror, though. It barely matters at all that it's Dick, from what I recall of it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Year One (Miller), Black Mirror (Snyder), Court of Owls (Snyder).

I'd save Morrison's run, Dark Knight Returns, and Loeb's "greatest hits" stories like Long Halloween and Hush for later.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alris posted:

I've been playing Arkham Knight recently and realized I have never read a Batman comic. What's a good trade paperback from the last 10-ish years to get that corrected?

Hush and Long Halloween are the two that are closest to the Arkham games. They're big, sprawling things that shove in as many famous characters at possibly, arguably at the expense of telling a tight, focused story. Fun though, and very influential.

Black Mirror , Year One and Gotham Central are great introductory Batman / Batfamily stories.

Endless Mike posted:

I totally agree with Black Mirror, though. It barely matters at all that it's Dick, from what I recall of it.
It's pretty important thematically, but it doesn't directly affect the plot.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Gotham Central is an amazing book, but Batman is only a character in the same sense that Gotham is a character. Absolutely read it, then read everything else Rucka has written DC, Marvel, or indy. But don't expect a lot of Batmaning in the book.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Ok, going with Black Mirror and Year One to begin with, moving on to The Court of Owls (specifically this one, right?} and I'll pick up Hush and The Long Halloween at some point. Thanks for the input!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If we're not limiting ourselves to the last 10 years, I think Knightfall's a better storyline about Batman facing a bunch of villains in a row than either of Loeb's stories.

Knightsquest and Knightsend probably aren't essential.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you can read it digital, Knightfall is massively discounted right now.

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Events-Sale/page/7312?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 9, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alris posted:

Ok, going with Black Mirror and Year One to begin with, moving on to The Court of Owls (specifically this one, right?} and I'll pick up Hush and The Long Halloween at some point. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, that's the Court of the Owls. It's followed by City of the Owls, and Night of the Owls is a collection of side-stories and tie-ins that aren't remotely essential.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

If we're not limiting ourselves to the last 10 years, I think Knightfall's a better storyline about Batman facing a bunch of villains in a row than either of Loeb's stories.

Knightsquest and Knightsend probably aren't essential.

I think KnightsEnd holds up really, really well (plus it's so short!). You can just summarize Knightquest with "And then Jean Paul went crazy and everyone was very embarrassed about it."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

I think KnightsEnd holds up really, really well (plus it's so short!). You can just summarize Knightquest with "And then Jean Paul went crazy and everyone was very embarrassed about it."

I think this is technically from Knightfall, but Knightsquest is summed up thusly:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
With the Dark Horse sale on Comixology, I grabbed Usagi Yojimbo: Grasscutter, which I hear is the "one book if you must read one" of that series.

I just polished it off and it is good stuff. Should I keep going from there, or are there any books I should jump to?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I used to regularly read Marvel stuff up until about the Civil War, when I stopped. Since then I occasionally read a wikipedia article about a character, and I read most of Fraction's Hawkeye run, but that's about it. I don't have time to keep up with a million stories but it would be cool to find a couple of books I could read regularly again. I was thinking something related to Avengers but then I got confused because there's like a dozen different groups called the Avengers. Are there some good ongoing series that I could start reading without having to read 500 back issues to understand, or be reading 17 other ongoing series to keep up?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I used to regularly read Marvel stuff up until about the Civil War, when I stopped. Since then I occasionally read a wikipedia article about a character, and I read most of Fraction's Hawkeye run, but that's about it. I don't have time to keep up with a million stories but it would be cool to find a couple of books I could read regularly again. I was thinking something related to Avengers but then I got confused because there's like a dozen different groups called the Avengers. Are there some good ongoing series that I could start reading without having to read 500 back issues to understand, or be reading 17 other ongoing series to keep up?

Read Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, which leads into Infinity (their best major event in years) and the currently running Secret Wars (also a great event) which will get you to the upcoming Marvel relaunch.

Reading order through Infinity

e: \/ Don't wait till October! Secret Wars is too neat. Don't you wanna see the universe blow up first?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 11, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, wait til October (there's a big Civil War-style event going on right now, so none of the books will make sense to you), then just pick a book with the Avengers logo on it that has characters you like in it. It's likely going to be decent.

The break-down is like so:

All New Avengers: Flagship series, has most of the names you'd expect on the team, but some of them have new people in the role. (Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Ms Marvel, Nova and Vision is the line-up). Words by Mark Waid, art by Mahmud Asrar

New Avengers: The Avengers buy AIM and try to make it a good guy endeavour. Team is Hulkling, Wiccan, Hawkeye, Sunspot, Squirrel Girl and Songbird.

Uncanny Avengers: Mixed team to promote better relations with mutants and Inhumans. Team is Steve Rogers, Spider-Man, Rogue, Quicksilver, Brother Voodoo, Human Torch, Deadpool and a mystery lady

A-Force: All lady Avengers team. Will have a rotating cast. Written by Willow Wilson of Ms Marvel fame. Main line-up seems to be Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Nico Minoru, Dazzler, Singularity (a new character) and Medusa

Ultimates: Basically the Defenders with a new more marketable name. Black Panther, Miss America, Captain Marvel, Blue Marvel, whatever Monica Rambeau is calling herself now, and maybe Galactus.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

The Berzerker posted:

Random Marvel ongoing titles that I can recommend are Silver Surfer, which is just like Doctor Who but not in a bad way and very charming, and Ms. Marvel, which is a teenage lighthearted street-level superhero book.

Marvel is right in the middle of their latest huge crossover event which means most of the ongoing titles are event spin-offs. The good news is they have just started and they shouldn't last too long. All of them share the Secret Wars setting, which doesn't require any background knowledge except for SW itself. They're populated by characters who are homages to Marvel history, but the plots themselves should be self-contained enough.

If you want to follow Secret Wars you honestly don't need to have read through Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman. While that book has some great moments, it's huge, it's composed of two titles, and Infinity is a boring slog (though apparently not everyone agrees). Personally I recommend reading Secret Wars, the ongoing main book for the event, and fishing around here and here for random stories that might interest you. In a few months Marvel relaunches most of its line and then you can start following things from ground zero.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 11, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, which leads into Infinity (their best major event in years) and the currently running Secret Wars (also a great event) which will get you to the upcoming Marvel relaunch.

Reading order through Infinity

e: \/ Don't wait till October! Secret Wars is too neat. Don't you wanna see the universe blow up first?

Here's the full read order of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity all the way up to Secret Wars

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Here's the full read order of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity all the way up to Secret Wars

Pff, doesn't have the New Avengers annual or the Hyperion 1-shot.

That's fan-made, right? That's actually pretty confusing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Pff, doesn't have the New Avengers annual or the Hyperion 1-shot.

That's fan-made, right? That's actually pretty confusing.

Hickman didn't write those.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Hickman didn't write those.
Well, I know. But they're fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Really? I mean the Hyperion one is good, but I loving hated the annual

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Those reading orders confuse the gently caress out of me but I'll look into those Hickman books and start there. Thanks.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
You also don't need to read Avengers World, it started out with Hickman co-writing which may lead you to believe that it's necessary but it's really not.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That spread sheet is heaps better but I can't post it from my phone

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I found something off-site that helped me figure out what to read in what order, I started with New Avengers #1 (Hickman) and went from there. I'm just getting into Infinity now, I'm somewhere around 2-3 issues into Infinity and I am reading some tie-ins as well. However, as a person who hasn't read any major Marvel titles since Civil War, I have SO MANY QUESTIONS. Such as:

Didn't Cap die during Civil War? How did he un-die? When did he and Stark get on the same side again?
Why does Jessica Jones hate Skrulls so much?

Lastly, are there any good Marvel stories I could catch up on that are a little... smaller? This whole 'outer space, 42 races I can't remember' stuff gets a little confusing. I couldn't tell you a Shi'ar Guard from a Thanos' dude from a Galactic Council member if you paid me. Hell, even within the Avengers I probably don't know who 2/3 of these people are. Carol Danvers flying into the sun, what arc was that? The last things I remember about Marvel were uh, The Sentry, and World War Hulk. I guess I stopped reading just before Secret Invasion (also I don't know what Secret Invasion was). I realize that BSS probably gets a lot of this so if you prefer to direct me to a clear wikipedia article or something that'd be cool too...

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Berzerker posted:

I found something off-site that helped me figure out what to read in what order, I started with New Avengers #1 (Hickman) and went from there. I'm just getting into Infinity now, I'm somewhere around 2-3 issues into Infinity and I am reading some tie-ins as well. However, as a person who hasn't read any major Marvel titles since Civil War, I have SO MANY QUESTIONS. Such as:

Didn't Cap die during Civil War? How did he un-die? When did he and Stark get on the same side again?
Why does Jessica Jones hate Skrulls so much?

Lastly, are there any good Marvel stories I could catch up on that are a little... smaller? This whole 'outer space, 42 races I can't remember' stuff gets a little confusing. I couldn't tell you a Shi'ar Guard from a Thanos' dude from a Galactic Council member if you paid me. Hell, even within the Avengers I probably don't know who 2/3 of these people are. Carol Danvers flying into the sun, what arc was that? The last things I remember about Marvel were uh, The Sentry, and World War Hulk. I guess I stopped reading just before Secret Invasion (also I don't know what Secret Invasion was). I realize that BSS probably gets a lot of this so if you prefer to direct me to a clear wikipedia article or something that'd be cool too...

You might want to take further questions to the Q&A thread (since you're asking some "big" questions that lead to more questions) but:

Cap alive: He got shot with a time displacing bullet and was pulled out of the time stream, or something. Red Skull wanted Cap's body as a new host. It's all in Brubaker's run. Him being pals with Stark is more status-quo than anything.
Jessica vs Skrulls: IIRC during Secret Invasion they stole her baby or something.
Most of the events have really detailed wiki articles, just search for whatever.

Smaller-in--Marvel-Universe-scope recent stories: Planet Hulk (you mentioned WWH but I don't know if you had read PH)
Duggan's run on Deadpool (I think, haven't kept up since around #20)
Waid's Daredevil
Soule's She-Hulk
Wilson's Ms. Marvel
maybe Spurrier's X-Men Legacy
Hickman's Secret Warriors (this is both large and small but I think works as it's self-contained)
Fraction's Hawkeye.
Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man
Aaron's Thor God of Thunder (this is epic in scale but just about Thor, also super-excellent)
Aaron's Ghost Rider
Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
If you want a large-scope but lots of more contained stories I'd start with Annihilation, find the Marvel Cosmic reading order, and follow that to the end.

I think Ms. Marvel is the only real ongoing of that bunch as DD is maybe "rebooting" a bit along with Deadpool. I would recommend a Marvel Unlimited subscription if you have a tablet and just read those and maybe some other longer runs like Brubaker Cap or Bendis/Brubaker DD or Gillen's Thor/Loki stuff or Hickman's Fantastic Four and just go from there. That should keep you busy for a while.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Is this a fan made thing? If Marvel put it out that alleviates any worries I have about them properly collecting his Avengers run.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Zachack posted:

Smaller-in--Marvel-Universe-scope recent stories: Planet Hulk (you mentioned WWH but I don't know if you had read PH)
Duggan's run on Deadpool (I think, haven't kept up since around #20)
Waid's Daredevil
Soule's She-Hulk
Wilson's Ms. Marvel
maybe Spurrier's X-Men Legacy
Hickman's Secret Warriors (this is both large and small but I think works as it's self-contained)
Fraction's Hawkeye.
Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man
Aaron's Thor God of Thunder (this is epic in scale but just about Thor, also super-excellent)
Aaron's Ghost Rider
Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
If you want a large-scope but lots of more contained stories I'd start with Annihilation, find the Marvel Cosmic reading order, and follow that to the end.

Thanks for this, I have an iPad so I was thinking MU would be the way to go. I did read Planet Hulk and I've read the first 2-3 TPBs of Fraction's Hawkeye, one of the few series I was still buying physical copies of. Going through this reading order had me reading a few issues of Mighty Avengers, and that seemed kinda like the scale I was looking for - so I think I'll dip into Fraction's Iron Fist, Duggan's Deadpool because I meant to read that anyway as I like Duggan, and Soule's She-Hulk.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I've been using this site to get something out of my free trial on Marvel Unlimited. So far I read Inhumans and the first 19 issues of Black Panther, and I'm not overly excited to read any of this. Inhumans was ok, but Black Panther is just becoming tedious. Am I just not a Marvel guy, or are these not the best comics out there (even though the author of the Comicbook Herald states he loves them)?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Grawl posted:

I've been using this site to get something out of my free trial on Marvel Unlimited. So far I read Inhumans and the first 19 issues of Black Panther, and I'm not overly excited to read any of this. Inhumans was ok, but Black Panther is just becoming tedious. Am I just not a Marvel guy, or are these not the best comics out there (even though the author of the Comicbook Herald states he loves them)?
I would ignore that guys list almost entirely. Just read what interests you. He is right about Waid's F4 and Bendis's Daredevil being very very good though. Read Bendis's Daredevil starting at 16-19, then skip to 26. You can keep reading that Daredevil until the end of Brubaker's run after Bendis is done. For Waid's F4 I don't know what issues it starts on, someone else in here can probably get those. If you are at all interested in those characters, those are both very good runs, that Daredevil run is even what got me into Marvel in the first place. If there are other characters you are interested in just ask whats good in here and someone will point you in the right direction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grawl posted:

So far I read Inhumans and the first 19 issues of Black Panther, and I'm not overly excited to read any of this.

Two series aren't indicative of anything. Maybe try stuff from the current era, like
Thor: God of Thunder http://marvel.com/comics/series/167...mit=10&count=10
Hawkeye http://marvel.com/comics/series/163...mit=10&count=10
Daredevil http://marvel.com/comics/series/129...mit=10&count=10
Ms. Marvel http://marvel.com/comics/series/184...mit=10&count=10

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 13, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Talk about timing; I recently read Ms. Marvel after reading high praise for it on the funny panels thread, and it's so refreshing that it has actually put me in the mood to read some comics, which I haven't done in a while.

I've read a bit of Aja's run on Hawkguy and loved it so I'll probably pick up where I left; I'm assuming if Thor: God of Thunder and Daredevil would be good next steps?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

What comic was it, where spider-man revealed his secret identity for the registration act thing? I think it was the one where jessica said she had a crush on him in high school?

edit: Thor: God of Thunder is totally awesome. If you like thunder gods being bad rear end, that is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

HogX posted:

What comic was it, where spider-man revealed his secret identity for the registration act thing? I think it was the one where jessica said she had a crush on him in high school?

edit: Thor: God of Thunder is totally awesome. If you like thunder gods being bad rear end, that is.

Peter first revealed his identity during Civil War (not sure if it was in Mark Millar's main miniseries or in one of the Spidey books at the time), but it was later undone... was that the Mephisto thing?

Anyway, a year or two later, in Brian Bendis' excellent first run of New Avengers (the 2004-2010 series), he revealed his identity to the team (since the earlier unmasking was undone), and that's when Jessica Jones admitted she knew him and had a crush on him in high school.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Man Airboy's so good. Anyone know of anything like it?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've read a bit of Aja's run on Hawkguy and loved it so I'll probably pick up where I left; I'm assuming if Thor: God of Thunder and Daredevil would be good next steps?

The Immortal Iron Fist is absolutely wonderful. The first 16 issues are co-written by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker, and drawn by Aja. They're the better ones, but the entire run is very good and worth reading, and it's all up on MU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God of Thunder absolutely slays and it has the advantage of being more or less completely disconnected from the Marvel universe at large so you don't need to know poo poo about continuity to follow it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

God of Thunder absolutely slays and it has the advantage of being more or less completely disconnected from the Marvel universe at large so you don't need to know poo poo about continuity to follow it.

What I read of God of Thunder was like if someone took a Heavy Metal cover and just made a whole loving comic out of it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Granbar posted:

Man Airboy's so good. Anyone know of anything like it?

I don't have the experience of these other guys but I can say I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like Airboy. There's lots of creator/creation interaction (e.g. Alan Moore's Supreme run kind of, Grant Morrison's Animal Man ending) but none so coarse and energetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cyphoderus posted:

The Immortal Iron Fist is absolutely wonderful. The first 16 issues are co-written by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker, and drawn by Aja. They're the better ones, but the entire run is very good and worth reading, and it's all up on MU.
Yeah, I had it on my list because of the Hawkguy connection.

zoux posted:

Sold.

Phylodox posted:

What I read of God of Thunder was like if someone took a Heavy Metal cover and just made a whole loving comic out of it.
Sold.