Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Unless one of your neighbors has a giant stick up their rear end about any noise ever they won't care unless you're playing loud music and yelling late into the night. Your precautions are thoughtful but a little much. If I was your neighbor and saw you have a bunch of people over and had a curtain blocking the view of your apartment every time someone opened the door I'd get a little suspicious of what exactly you were doing in there, but that's just me.

I had a neighbor who had nothing better to do than keep spying on everyone out her window and would call the cops if she saw more than a few people going in an apartment. One time my downstairs neighbors were having a little party that I couldn't even hear from my apartment directly upstairs (duplex so no adjacent side neighbors) and somehow the cops still got called on a noise complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Talking to your neighbors isn't a bad idea, but it's one night and unless you plan on having the party last through the night, you're probably going to be okay.

As for the footsteps thing, can you just have people take their shoes off?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

Would anything else work? Or is this a case of "do your stupid party somewhere else, this is where people sleep type of thing"?
Quite the opposite. You are having friends over for dinner, which is reasonably expected of someone living in an apartment. Don't be an rear end in a top hat by playing Metallica turned up to 11 until 3 in the morning, but if you're planning on having drinks at 6, dinner at 7, and people filtering out between 10 and 11, tell anyone who has a problem with it to gently caress right off. Your concern is a sign that you're a good neighbor, so continue to be a good neighbor, but don't sperg out by installing wall-to-wall carpet and blocking off the door in a death cave.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Are you and your neighbors such shut ins that you've never had a party before?

It is normal to assume that each dwelling will have moderately noisy parties a couple times a year. If a neighbor comes over and asks you to keep it down, then do, but otherwise how wild do you imagine a dinner party of less than twenty is going to get??

Problem neighbors are a function of CHRONIC issues, Jesus dude.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree though that you need either shoes off or a rug/carpet. You've been meaning to get a carpet anyway, and shoes on hardwood make an incredible noise downstairs, especially heels.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Xandu posted:

Talking to your neighbors isn't a bad idea, but it's one night and unless you plan on having the party last through the night, you're probably going to be okay.

As for the footsteps thing, can you just have people take their shoes off?

Anne Whateley posted:

I agree though that you need either shoes off or a rug/carpet. You've been meaning to get a carpet anyway, and shoes on hardwood make an incredible noise downstairs, especially heels.

This is good to know, since we already take off our shoes at least they better and not ruin my clean floors :argh:. It makes sense.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Unless one of your neighbors has a giant stick up their rear end about any noise ever they won't care unless you're playing loud music and yelling late into the night. Your precautions are thoughtful but a little much. If I was your neighbor and saw you have a bunch of people over and had a curtain blocking the view of your apartment every time someone opened the door I'd get a little suspicious of what exactly you were doing in there, but that's just me.

I had a neighbor who had nothing better to do than keep spying on everyone out her window and would call the cops if she saw more than a few people going in an apartment. One time my downstairs neighbors were having a little party that I couldn't even hear from my apartment directly upstairs (duplex so no adjacent side neighbors) and somehow the cops still got called on a noise complaint.

Mocking Bird posted:

Are you and your neighbors such shut ins that you've never had a party before?

It is normal to assume that each dwelling will have moderately noisy parties a couple times a year. If a neighbor comes over and asks you to keep it down, then do, but otherwise how wild do you imagine a dinner party of less than twenty is going to get??

Problem neighbors are a function of CHRONIC issues, Jesus dude.

This is our first apartment, so I guess? :ohdear: I don't expect it to get too rowdy, only because I'm trying to keep it all toned down. We're all in our early post-college years so we still have very recent memories of a much louder parties and I'm just worried somewhere between the fun and alcohol somebody is going to forget to not scream at people.

But yeah, thanks everyone. This made me feel much better, I'll ditch the rapey-sex dungeon drapes, get a nice rug, and advise the neighbors.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
My rental agreement says landlord has to give 30 days notice to increase rent or tell us to vacant after our lease is up, and we have to give them 30 days notice to say we want to vacate.

Our lease is up 08/01, and they put a notice on our door on 07/12 saying rents going up, but they put a date of 06/30, pretty much lying so they can say they gave us 30 days.

It's pretty shady that they did this, and I figure there's nothing much I can do, but say I didn't accept the new rent, there's no real way for me to prove that they didn't give me proper notice so that I can move out by 08/01, right? My last few apartments basically had me sign stuff to say I agree to the new rent amount. This letter doesn't have me signing anything, and it's basically like, "BTW rents going up by $X, TIA".

Edit: We had a 1 year lease, and this is CA if that matters.

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 13, 2015

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Raimondo posted:

My rental agreement says landlord has to give 30 days notice to increase rent or tell us to vacant after our lease is up, and we have to give them 30 days notice to say we want to vacate.

Our lease is up 08/01, and they put a notice on our door on 07/12 saying rents going up, but they put a date of 06/30, pretty much lying so they can say they gave us 30 days.

It's pretty shady that they did this, and I figure there's nothing much I can do, but say I didn't accept the new rent, there's no real way for me to prove that they didn't give me proper notice so that I can move out by 08/01, right? My last few apartments basically had me sign stuff to say I agree to the new rent amount. This letter doesn't have me signing anything, and it's basically like, "BTW rents going up by $X, TIA".

Edit: We had a 1 year lease, and this is CA if that matters.
This seems relevant
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/lt-2.shtml

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Do you want to stay under the new rent amount, or do you want to vacate?

If you want to stay, you can either make a stink, and instead of your rent going up 8/1 it'll go up 9/1.

If you want to leave, you can put in notice to vacate anytime before 8/1, leave on 8/31, and just pay the old rent on 8/1.

Regarding staying... if they'd posted the notice on 7/2 I'd be inclined to let it slide, but to me, posting it on 7/12 is dirty pool and I'd fight it.

If this ever goes to court, you'll have a slam dunk, but let's hope you don't have to take it that far.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

photomikey posted:

Do you want to stay under the new rent amount, or do you want to vacate?

If you want to stay, you can either make a stink, and instead of your rent going up 8/1 it'll go up 9/1.

If you want to leave, you can put in notice to vacate anytime before 8/1, leave on 8/31, and just pay the old rent on 8/1.

Regarding staying... if they'd posted the notice on 7/2 I'd be inclined to let it slide, but to me, posting it on 7/12 is dirty pool and I'd fight it.

If this ever goes to court, you'll have a slam dunk, but let's hope you don't have to take it that far.

I want to stay under the new rent amount, I just feel peeved that they notified me half way into the month and put an earlier date.

They didn't answer the phone when I called them, but we'll see if they budge on changing when the new rent starts.

Update: We talked to them, and they agreed that they notified me too late, and said the new rent will go into effect 09/01

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 13, 2015

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I've been kicking around the idea of moving to Ireland for a year (like choosing to live there for that long, not been working on it for that long) and now the time is pretty optimal since my boyfriend of 6 years told me he didn't love me anymore and kicked me out of our apartment. So since I'm no longer tied down by trying to build a future with someone and in need of a place of my own there's no time like the present. Plus what better way to get over someone than to make it literally impossible to run into them and be on a completely different time schedule so there's no communication?

The issue is I have 0 idea where to begin. I don't know if I should fill out visa paperwork like holy poo poo now, but then will I be on a 2 year waiting list? I studied abroad there a couple of years ago and it was easily the best decision I ever made. I have no preference on where I would live really, I stayed in Limerick when I was studying there so I know that slightly better but I've moved to areas (in my state) where I knew literally nothing so that doesn't really scare or bother me. I have a teaching degree but it's not like I can go to one of those "teach away" places and teach English in loving Ireland, plus it's in art so I don't think it's all that useful anyways.
I'm sure there's goons who have done this before, I don't know if I'm in the completely wrong thread for this but if anything it seems like a good start. Any advice or general direction or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated, thanks goons!!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I moved into a ground floor apartment last week and quickly realised my neighbours above me are pretty lovely people. They like to listen to everything with the sound all the way up and windows open, constantly run around their flat until 11pm etc. I can probably deal with this but then I noticed out of my window her + about 6 kids running around in the area between the fence and the building itself, which is covered in gravel. Of course with all those kids running and playing ball in such a small area near our windows, gravel was being flicked up into our windows. I went out to ask the woman if she'd consider moving somewhere else to play. She told me the area was a "communal garden" (its a small gravelled area between the building and the fence) and that I should close my blinds and take it up with her landlord if I had any complaints. After this her kids gathered up all the garbage in the area and threw it in front of our door (???) and yelled into our windows for a while.

I'm probably just going to start looking for another place already but I was wondering if / what I could say to her landlord if I decide to go down that route. Thanks

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CeramicPig posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of moving to Ireland for a year (like choosing to live there for that long, not been working on it for that long) and now the time is pretty optimal since my boyfriend of 6 years told me he didn't love me anymore and kicked me out of our apartment. So since I'm no longer tied down by trying to build a future with someone and in need of a place of my own there's no time like the present. Plus what better way to get over someone than to make it literally impossible to run into them and be on a completely different time schedule so there's no communication?

The issue is I have 0 idea where to begin. I don't know if I should fill out visa paperwork like holy poo poo now, but then will I be on a 2 year waiting list? I studied abroad there a couple of years ago and it was easily the best decision I ever made. I have no preference on where I would live really, I stayed in Limerick when I was studying there so I know that slightly better but I've moved to areas (in my state) where I knew literally nothing so that doesn't really scare or bother me. I have a teaching degree but it's not like I can go to one of those "teach away" places and teach English in loving Ireland, plus it's in art so I don't think it's all that useful anyways.
I'm sure there's goons who have done this before, I don't know if I'm in the completely wrong thread for this but if anything it seems like a good start. Any advice or general direction or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated, thanks goons!!

Do you have any personal/job/family connections in Ireland? Don't move to a new country for no reason because it's a giant pain in the rear end. If you're really just looking for a new start, move somewhere else within the country.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

StabMasterArson posted:

I'm probably just going to start looking for another place already but I was wondering if / what I could say to her landlord if I decide to go down that route. Thanks
Call the landlord, tell the 30 second version of that story, you should know in about 15 seconds how it will end - either the landlord will freak out and yell at the lady, or they will do absolutely nothing. Regardless, it doesn't matter what you say to them, just stay calm and be reasonable.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

CeramicPig posted:

What kind of a visa would you apply for? No company is going to sponsor you for a work visa if you're planning on only staying for a year, and if you're not planning on working how are you going to support yourself? If you're on a tourist visa you can't work, and if you just go visa-less (I'm not sure what the time limit is for visiting without a visa is in Ireland) you also can't get a job. This seems like a terrible financial decision.

I moved to Italy for three months for an internship and even though I was only there for three months I took a huge hit to my savings, especially since at the time the dollar/Euro exchange rate was not in my favor. I'm seconding the idea that if you want a fresh start just pick a new state to move to. The US is so huge and diverse depending on where you are and where you end up it'll pretty much be like moving to a different country.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll just look domestically I suppose. I was hoping to have gotten some employment visa but if there's no chance for it then thems the bricks.
Thank you all so much

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
You could just do a working holiday visa. I don't think they're usually good for a year, but frequently for several months.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

photomikey posted:

Call the landlord, tell the 30 second version of that story, you should know in about 15 seconds how it will end - either the landlord will freak out and yell at the lady, or they will do absolutely nothing. Regardless, it doesn't matter what you say to them, just stay calm and be reasonable.

Tell the landlord, the garbage and yelling is straight up awful. But honestly, I would start looking for a new place. It's been my experience that landlords week do nothing about noise associated with kids.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Be advised that "family status" is a protected class under FHA guidelines and the landlord can't evict someone for having kids. While you may think that being loud and throwing rocks isn't evicting someone for having kids (and I'd agree), Section 8 will pay for the family's attorney and fight it up to and including the supreme court, while the landlord pays out of pocket and historically will lose in the end. So understand that your landlord doesn't hate you and love kids who are loud and throw rocks, it's hard to evict someone because they walk real loud.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

photomikey posted:

Be advised that "family status" is a protected class under FHA guidelines and the landlord can't evict someone for having kids. While you may think that being loud and throwing rocks isn't evicting someone for having kids (and I'd agree), Section 8 will pay for the family's attorney and fight it up to and including the supreme court, while the landlord pays out of pocket and historically will lose in the end. So understand that your landlord doesn't hate you and love kids who are loud and throw rocks, it's hard to evict someone because they walk real loud.

But they could reasonably evict them for causing damage to the property by throwing rocks.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Goons I need your help. I have a 3300 x 2700 mm blank white wall in my bedroom that I'm sick of looking at. It is opposite the door and next to my bed. What can I do with this that won't break the bank?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Fall posted:

Goons I need your help. I have a 3300 x 2700 mm blank white wall in my bedroom that I'm sick of looking at. It is opposite the door and next to my bed. What can I do with this that won't break the bank?

art.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

That's the dream, but I can't spend more than $100. An interim solution would be best. I thought about hanging a curtain of fake vines for a while, but up close the texture would be obvious and awful.

Unless you have any specific recommendations?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

paint.

Edit:

Real answer, go to ikea and go spend $100 on big bold mass produced art work that coordinates with your bed spread.

Or trawl thrift stores for some non terrible art. Look for a goodwill boutique, or go to your nearest nice suburb thrift store.

Or paint the drat wall with "mis-mixed" paint from Home Depot.

Mocking Bird fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 22, 2015

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

This would look good.

J/k, but for serious, if you live near a university with an art department, scout for student gallery sales. Students tend to undervalue their work, which is a great opportunity to get some neat art pieces on a budget.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Fall posted:

Some kind of creative shelving? I didn't price these, but I just did a GIS for "wall shelving".

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

But they could reasonably evict them for causing damage to the property by throwing rocks.

Right. The kids throwing rocks. An attorney will say "c'mon, kids throw rocks! He's evicting them because he doesn't want kids, and that's illegal!" And here begins a 5 year $250,000 legal battle.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

photomikey posted:

Thing is, my landlord isn't her landlord too, despite being in the same building. I'm just going to look for another place though, not worth the hassle staying here really.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

StabMasterArson posted:

Thing is, my landlord isn't her landlord too, despite being in the same building. I'm just going to look for another place though, not worth the hassle staying here really.

Oh christ, I know about from my time with a coin op laundry company. Any time there were any problems on the property I'd be told it was the other landlord's responsibility to fix it. If I went to talk to the other landlord, they would be like "We don't do business with you, so I'm not sure what you want me to do." The worst.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
So about a year ago I complained in this thread about cockroaches and that I wasn't sure if it was a problem or not. The pro came in last September and looked around my room and said that the ones I'd seen were probably travelers from elsewhere in the building. Apparently the source wasn't any of my immediate neighbors either. Just to be safe he put down some dust on places that could be harborages (it's still there, I hear it lasts for a while but I'm not sure how long if any goons know.) Being neurotic I had left the apartment for a short while afterwards and returned in late November, and didn't see any roaches again until late June of this year.

However, in March someone put papers under everyone's door complaining about cockroaches and how they've informed the city, that the landlords are only treating apartment-by-apartment instead of the whole building, and that anyone who has problems with them should come forward. In late May someone posted a note on the elevators saying they had found a pregnant Roach in one of their drawers. As I said, I began to see them occasionally again in my bathroom late June. Since the exterminator said the source wasn't my room and I have only gotten cleaner since then, I haven't gotten my room re-treated yet. Earlier this week I did duct tape every entry point I could find in my bathroom and kitchen though, so I'll see how effective that is (still saw a couple nymphs but they're so small there's no way that I can keep them out physically.)

That being said, I'm 99% sure that the reason the infestation seems so widespread (the guy who wrote the note was several floors above me) is because they're coming from the crevasses in the walls that the plumbing comes through, and using that space as a highway to go wherever they want. How the heck does anyone go about treating that in a 25 story building? The best I can do personally is try and keep them out of my apartment, which I've been doing with limited success so far, but attacking the source is obviously going to require the entire building to be treated which the management is (sort of understandably but also not) reluctant to do. What options do I have here aside from just trying to weather the roach storm until winter comes and hopefully makes them dormant again?

Edit: It's also occurred to me that the occasional roach sighting may just be a fact of life in large, densely populated buildings in an urban centre, in which case how many roaches is it "normal" to see in a northern climate during the summer?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Edit: It's also occurred to me that the occasional roach sighting may just be a fact of life in large, densely populated buildings in an urban centre, in which case how many roaches is it "normal" to see in a northern climate during the summer?

I've only seen a cockroach once in my life and that was in China, so no, it definitely shouldn't be a fact of life.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I was once told by an exterminator that you couldn't find a 10+ unit housing or office building anywhere in America that didn't have roaches.

That said, if you are leading a clean lifestyle, you shouldn't be fighting them.

I'd pressure the building to treat for them. In leiu of that, emptying a can of Raid into the crevices every 3 months should keep them out of your living space.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
I've covered every gap I can find (including the air vent that doesn't blow air when a particularly fat motherfucker got in that way) and placed down some glue traps for monitoring purposes. I was too late to see management today so I'll have to wait out the weekend. Should give me an idea of what I'm dealing with at least, hopefully the traps will remain empty.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

faarcyde posted:

Anyone have tips/links/leads on a place to find good rugs / runners? For whatever reason I find it impossible to find a good living room rug unless I want to spend $1k plus (I don't). I was actually impressed with Ikea's selection although I didn't quite find what I was looking for.

From the last page!

My parents always had remnants since we grew up in hardwood floored houses and when I moved out, I all of a sudden needed rugs on a budget. Find a carpet/flooring store around you and they probably have remnants available. I live in a larger city, so I had a few choices and ended up going with one that had an enormous warehouse and selection and we got an 8'x8' bound remnant for around $125. It was great because 8x10 was slightly too large for our needs, but the 4x6 that we had was just not working. The selection is relatively bland, but you can get several custom cut sizes for very very cheap. I had to convince my girlfriend that this was the way to go because she'd found some very cute, functional rugs online, but this was totally the way to go. I can't believe I'm gushing so much over carpet remnants.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question, but this seems to be the general goon home ec thread:

I've come to be in possession of a couple of old bags that are in pretty bad shape that I want to clean up. They're a combination of canvas and leather and smell really musty and the leather seems kind of mildewy. I know how to clean leather, but I'm stumped on how to clean the entire bag without further damaging the leather bits so just soaking the whole thing in soapy water doesn't seem to be a good idea but I don't know how else to clean the canvas parts. Thoughts?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
http://www.ask.com/home-garden/clean-mildew-off-canvas-460f1f702bdef028

This link best summarizes how I cleaned my grandfathers canvas tent. I would avoid the leather with the solution, and make sure to condition the leather first so any drips don't do as much damage.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
On the topic of mattresses:

My current bed is 11 years old and on its way out, but still functional. New problem: my roommate's cat has peed on it, repeatedly, and even after several cleanings it still smells faintly of cat piss, which is not really a thing I want. Further, I'm finishing up college and should be moving in a year and a half. The original plan was to ditch this thing after that and buy a new bed after a move.

So: Would a waterproof protector/pad help to mask the smell well enough (it isn't super strong), or am I looking at a new mattress? Can I drop $300 on a full-sized mattress and call that a good investment, even if I end up getting rid of it after a year and a half?

And yes, either way, it's getting a protector put on it. :catdrugs:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Look up enzymatic cleaners or ask either at your local pet store or in the Pet Island cat thread. They usually come as sprays and work wonders on animal urine. If you can't fix it with that and you're not completely comfortable with sleeping on cat piss and also not totally broke, $300 isn't terrible to get a less smelly bed. Make sure whatever cheap rear end bed you buy isn't so terrible that you can't get any sleep on it or you'll be out the money and still have to sleep in cat pee and that would suck.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you can stand sleeping on the plastic sheet, I can't imagine much piss smell would make it through. They make them with zippers around the side now, and they cover the full mattress - it's really thorough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

RabbitMage posted:

On the topic of mattresses:

My current bed is 11 years old and on its way out, but still functional. New problem: my roommate's cat has peed on it, repeatedly, and even after several cleanings it still smells faintly of cat piss, which is not really a thing I want. Further, I'm finishing up college and should be moving in a year and a half. The original plan was to ditch this thing after that and buy a new bed after a move.

So: Would a waterproof protector/pad help to mask the smell well enough (it isn't super strong), or am I looking at a new mattress? Can I drop $300 on a full-sized mattress and call that a good investment, even if I end up getting rid of it after a year and a half?

And yes, either way, it's getting a protector put on it. :catdrugs:

Nature's Miracle is the go-to enzymatic cleaner for most pet stains, you can get it at pretty much any pet store.

I have a waterproof mattress cover on my mattress because I have dogs, it doesn't feel like a plastic sheet at all. It's like a regular mattress cover but with a plastic backing on it.