Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Vanisher on Wolverine's X-force?

Yeah. If I recall correctly, they had Elixir give him a big brain tumor as blackmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
It was also in the shape of the X-Men logo.

I like how basically everyone in Wolverine's X-Force goes full sociopath but then after it's over everyone's cool with all of the former members again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Elixir was a really good character. I wish they hadn't hosed him up and abandoned him so hard.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That X-Force series gets a lot of poo poo, but it really isn't that bad and even gets good in parts. But the Wolfsbane/yiffing poo poo is just a total waste of time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

It was also in the shape of the X-Men logo.

I like how basically everyone in Wolverine's X-Force goes full sociopath but then after it's over everyone's cool with all of the former members again.

Haha I forgot about that. It was always hard for me to see that team as bad, because they were killing Purifiers, and gently caress those guys, gently caress them hard.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

notthegoatseguy posted:

That X-Force series gets a lot of poo poo, but it really isn't that bad and even gets good in parts. But the Wolfsbane/yiffing poo poo is just a total waste of time.

Is Wolfsbane ever in a series where she isn't the worst part of that series?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've never read that X-Force, but I've always liked Wolfsbane in X-Factor. Even her accent was really charming to me.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I thought the art went really well with that book. I actually liked it for quite a while, I just got to a point where I always flipped past the Wolfsbane pages.

The issue where they slaughter a poo poo load of Marauder clones was probably my favorite part.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wanderer posted:

Man, there's an article for you: the bizarre dumping ground of Louise Simonson's late-'80s Marvel output.

I don't think there's a single original character of the lot that didn't end up in limbo, hero or villain.
This is from weeks ago, but in addition to (kinda) Archangel and Cable, there's also Rictor and Apocalypse, who is credited as having first appeared in an issue of X-Factor written by Bob Layton, but he was unnamed and in the shadows and intended to be the Owl. He doesn't appear or get named until she steps in.

There's also Power Pack, but that's not late 1980s per se. The Marvel Wiki has a pretty neat tag feature if you want to see all the Morlocks she created to get murdered, or reacquaint yourself with GOSSAMYR.

Also a problem with the original Stabby X-Force was yeah, they were going against the Purifiers and a bunch of other like relentless genocidal maniacs, so the idea that maybe it's bad to take the lives of Double SuperHitlers is a bad idea never really seemed like a big moral quandary. At least Remender turned it into "killing Hitler as a baby".

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 11, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, while I don't think it's overall good and it does deserve most of the poo poo it gets, it does have some genuinely redeeming arcs/moments. If Marvel ever did a rerelease of it with the aforementioned yiffing cut out (her early plotline with her dad had such promise but then it turned into that :(), clean up the art a little (the overall style, while not my thing, works for the book but there were some scenes legit too dark for me to see), give Stryfe a makeover so I don't burst out laughing every time he's onpanel, etc then I think it would actually an overall good series.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

DrProsek posted:

give Stryfe a makeover so I don't burst out laughing every time he's onpanel.

Just remembered when I stopped reading.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

But the Wolfsbane/yiffing poo poo is just a total waste of time.

Hahah what.

Does she get sucked into the online furry community or something :stonk:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

give Stryfe a makeover so I don't burst out laughing every time he's onpanel,

this except every Rob Liefeld-designed character

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SynthOrange posted:

Hahah what.

Does she get sucked into the online furry community or something :stonk:

She gets a Norse wolf god boyfriend, and he impregnates her. Yadda yadda.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Probably Magic posted:

She gets a Norse wolf god boyfriend, and he impregnates her. Yadda yadda.

I knew the first part, as its in Asgardian Wars, but the second part :gonk:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

She almost miscarries too. It's cool though, her boyfriend sells his soul to heal Elixer who saves them both.

X-Force 2008 really isn't that bad, but it desperately needed to drop everything with Wolfsbane after her first arc with her dad/the Purifiers. That was good and had some great character drama. After that though she goes straight to yiffing and never returns.

Four Score posted:

this except every Rob Liefeld-designed character

Well yeah, I think everyone but Deadpool who didn't already get a makeover needs one, but Stryfe is most noticeable for just being so bad with so little effort to fix him. I don't think he changed at all from his early 90s appearances.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

twistedmentat posted:

The bigger sin is that it then led to a really boring tangent in X-Factor up until close to the end of the series, if I recall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everything involving Wolfsbane in X-factor was really bad. Rah Rah catholicism, yiffing, horrible accent I can barely read, dramatic temper tantrums. I don't believe in bad characters, but that's a character that has yet to be written well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Tsk, she's not Catholic, you ignoramus! She is terrible though and needs to be fired into the sun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Probably Magic posted:

The bigger sin is that it then led to a really boring tangent in X-Factor up until close to the end of the series, if I recall.

Not just boring, actually terrible. Like the worst Peter David's written in years. It was just awful.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

X-Factor's epilogues were actually quite nice. It was that godawful hell on earth final arc that made you go, really? This is your big finale? And of course Wolfsbane and her furry miracle child had to be central to it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I will say I did like the Strong Guy stuff. Gets resurrected, everyone is told he doesn't have a soul, accidentially kills a guy, everyone starts giving him the cold shoulder. series of unlikely events lead to him and his would be love interest not getting together, leaves team, take a job for the devil, kills antichrist, becomes lord of hell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sentinel Red posted:

Tsk, she's not Catholic, you ignoramus!

I keep thinking she's Irish and therefore Catholic due to the accent and heavy religious bent.

My biggest issue with X-Factor remains Madrox and Layla Miller getting together. It's so loving creepy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I will say I did like the Strong Guy stuff. Gets resurrected, everyone is told he doesn't have a soul, accidentially kills a guy, everyone starts giving him the cold shoulder. series of unlikely events lead to him and his would be love interest not getting together, leaves team, take a job for the devil, kills antichrist, becomes lord of hell.

Yeah, everyone unnecessarily shits on Strong Guy that whole time. Whatever "soul" he is missing, he's obviously a human with feelings still, and they just keep on treating him like a leper. Leave Strong Guy alone! :smith:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

hope and vaseline posted:

X-Factor's epilogues were actually quite nice. It was that godawful hell on earth final arc that made you go, really? This is your big finale? And of course Wolfsbane and her furry miracle child had to be central to it.

Honest to god, I 100% forgot about the Hell on Earth War until reading this. Even without the lovely Wolfsbane poo poo, that arc sucked.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I just reread X-Men Legacy #300 and god drat that is a good book. Everyone should read that if you haven't already, it's completely stand alone.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

drat, I forgot about ForgetMeNot.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
He plays a part in Spurrier's X-Force, an excellent book about very hosed up people doing hosed up things to themselves and others because they can't talk about their problems.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ElNarez posted:

He plays a part in Spurrier's X-Force, an excellent book about very hosed up people doing hosed up things to themselves and others because they can't talk about their problems.

Yeah, that was a good book. Very weird at times but good. I wonder what the plan will be for Hope going forward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Haha, I can deal with that.

Because I was already exposed to that decades earlier by 'What If?' the New Mutants stayed in Asgard? where she has puppies with the guy. :stonk:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So uh, is it me or while Uncanny was really fast paced, it was still really good?

GOLDBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

GOLDBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That guy's a legend!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

twistedmentat posted:

So uh, is it me or while Uncanny was really fast paced, it was still really good?

GOLDBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I going to be the odd one out if I say 'no'? That was like.. way too fast, and seemed ludicrously heavy handed. I was expecting it to end up being an illusion by the Stepfords at the end, with a 'and this is why we shouldn't go public' thing. Like, the dude was popular and accepted as a hero and, no, suddenly we're all ravenously bloodthirsty because of you being a mutant.

That was actually kind of the worst use of that I've seen in a long time.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

E for Extinction is beautifully insane and I love every frame of it

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Between E is for Extinction 1 and 2 I've read Morrison's full New X-Men run. #1 finally gave me that push I needed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Morrison X-Men is my favorite X-Men.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Morrison X-Men is my favorite X-Men.

It was really great. Dunno what kept me away from it for so long. I bought #114 when it came out, but I don't think my twelve year old brain could handle Quitely's art just yet. I started to get a little bored with it in the last two or three story arcs when it got away from the school stuff, but overall loved it. Is Austen's run worth reading at all?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unmature posted:

Is Austen's run worth reading at all?

Uh. Uh...

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-89-the-rise-and-fall-of-chuck-austen/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unmature posted:

It was really great. Dunno what kept me away from it for so long. I bought #114 when it came out, but I don't think my twelve year old brain could handle Quitely's art just yet. I started to get a little bored with it in the last two or three story arcs when it got away from the school stuff, but overall loved it. Is Austen's run worth reading at all?

NO.

EDIT: Actually, his Exiles run wasn't horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

With that, Austen left comics, leaving behind a bunch of people writing top ten lists of the worst moments in X-Men history.
They’re not wrong. From X-Men to Worldwatch, Austen’s stories are unfailingly some of the worst comics of the past ten years. That’s what makes him so fascinating to me. When you look at that crowd of new comics writers that was really making waves at the start of this century, guys like Bendis and Geoff Johns, Austen was right in there with them, with four solid years as one of the most prominent writers in that crop of creators. And yet, the best thing you can say about Austen’s work in super-hero comics is that occasionally, it wasn’t absolutely terrible.

Read More: Ask Chris #89: The Rise and Fall of Chuck Austen | http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-89-the-rise-and-fall-of-chuck-austen/?trackback=tsmclip

• Locked thread