Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

You should. It's really good.

Yup, E is for Extinction was awesome. I thought I'd hate the art from some of the previews but it actually really owns and fits tonally. It's offputting in the best possible way I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Yup, E is for Extinction was awesome. I thought I'd hate the art from some of the previews but it actually really owns and fits tonally. It's offputting in the best possible way I'm pretty sure.

It's trending on Twitter, of all things.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

Yesss put the middle aged man in the skintight outfit.

So I'm (relatively) new back to comics and I missed almost all of X-Men from 99 until pretty much AvX. Is this an homage to something that I missed?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It is based on Morrison's X-men from the early 2000s. Called New X-men.

It apes the bad art and poor writing quite well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The writing is really nothing like Morrison. There's not enough bolded words, if noting else. Hell, Cyclops wouldn't feel too out of place over in X-Men '92, which I'm sure was intentionaly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Volume 7 of Essential Xmen reprints the promos for Fall Of the Mutants, which I remember distinctly. By that time I had stopped reading X-men and I was mostly buying Spiderman, and had never read New Mutants (I remember distinctly saying "2 xmen books? That's too many") so I had no idea who were most of the characters in the iconic image of the piles of dead mutants.

http://i.imgur.com/JDJwCOF.jpg

I would look at it and go "who is that? Whats that snake thing, who's the girl with the sword? I see Cyclops but who is that woman, it looks like Jean Grey, but she's dead" and be very confused.

Now I'm much more knowlagable about X-men and other Claremont era mutant books, so I know exactly whats going on, except one thing. There is one character I was always confused by is the weird bird guy in the new Mutants.

http://i.imgur.com/SPJUQ8Q.jpg

Who the hell is that? It's a really busy design for this era, and its a very unsettling to look at. The rest of the characters there are well known but this proto-Beak just kinda fell off the face of the earth. Unless that was some form Warlock took.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently it's this guy: http://marvel.wikia.com/Bird-Brain_%28Earth-616%29

Most recent appearance is 1994. Briefly appeared in Nova outside of that one New Mutants story.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 25, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is that what fall of the mutants was? That sounds really terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was New Mutants' part in it, but the main event was in Uncanny.

It's not much better.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Fall of the Mutants was kind of a shared thematic event between three titles (Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, and New Mutants) in which none of the storylines intersected as they would in a proper crossover, but rather they all revolved around the common idea of "poo poo gets real bad for the team."

New Mutants had the dumb Island of Doctor Moreau knockoff that got Cypher killed and saw the team flip the bird to Magneto (who was running the team in his new good-guy phase).

X-Factor had the first big battle against Apocalypse and his Four Horsemen with the revelation that Angel had been made over by him into his Horseman of Death. I can't recall but I think this may also have been when Beast got infected by the Horseman of Pestilence with a virus that made him stupider every time he used his strength. We're talking like sub-Gump here.

Uncanny was a little more complex but ultimately boiled down to the X-Men fighting live on camera against a big-time demon. As far as the world knew, they sacrificed themselves in order to stop it, but in reality they ended up setting up shop in Australia semi-covertly while everyone thought they were dead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's not really a "main event" in Fall of the Mutants. The three X-books at the time (Uncanny, New Mutants, X-Factor) all had their own stories that didn't overlap at all. They just ran concurrently and had Bad poo poo happen.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently it's this guy: http://marvel.wikia.com/Bird-Brain_%28Earth-616%29

Most recent appearance is 1994. Briefly appeared in Nova outside of that one New Mutants story.

Someone needs to bring this guy back and give him a solo title. He can team up with Beak.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Man, there's an article for you: the bizarre dumping ground of Louise Simonson's late-'80s Marvel output.

I don't think there's a single original character of the lot that didn't end up in limbo, hero or villain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

Man, there's an article for you: the bizarre dumping ground of Louise Simonson's late-'80s Marvel output.

I don't think there's a single original character of the lot that didn't end up in limbo, hero or villain.

What about that Cable guy and Archangel?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read the "Ghosts" TPB (which is from the same mid-Claremont era) and was surprised to learn that the Hellfire Club had really stupid-looking supervillain costumes for a while there in the early 1980s.

Of course, all that stuff like FOTM and the Outback era, it all happened much later than I supposed. I have this idea that all those stories came out in 1982 or so, but they were all 1986, 1987.

What's the best X-Men spin-off ongoing series there's been? I vote for Excalibur.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 25, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read the "Ghosts" TPB (which is from the same mid-Claremont era) and was surprised to learn that the Hellfire Club had really stupid-looking supervillain costumes for a while there in the early 1980s.

Of course, all that stuff like FOTM and the Outback era, it all happened much later than I supposed. I have this idea that all those stories came out in 1982 or so, but they were all 1986, 1987.

What's the best X-Men spin-off ongoing series there's been? I vote for Excalibur.

X-force into X-Statix

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first run of Exiles. It's the only book that had the creative freedom to just go completely nuts with all the decades of crazy baggage that the X-books have piled up over the years.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I liked Uncanny X-Force a lot.

e: Oh man, I forgot how good Exiles was. Definitely the best thing Winick ever wrote.

e2: poo poo! X-Factor was definitely my favorite ongoing spinoff. Can't believe I forgot that book!

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 25, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's Excalibur for me, although X-Factor and New Mutants had their moment.

I give the nod to Excalibur because I can sit down and read from issue 1 to basically when Lobdell took over and enjoy even some of the mediocre stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rick posted:

I give the nod to Excalibur because I can sit down and read from issue 1 to basically when Lobdell took over and enjoy even some of the mediocre stuff.

It's also good when Alan Davis comes back - Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues of any comic. All that stuff with Necrom and the Anti-Phoenix is great fun.

I actually don't like Warren Ellis's Excalibur. Tried it, but couldn't get into it; too accustomed to the straight-ahead superhero stuff.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

What about that Cable guy and Archangel?

Archangel's half credit at best. Cable's a good point, though. I thought he was Nicieza at first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah, i read all that Xmen stuff with Forge and the vaguely racist Shaman and Roma and all that stuff. It wasn't labled Fall of the Mutants, so I figured that was something upcoming. The X-factor stuff sounds the best, but I have to admit, X-factor is really overly complex. The whole "We're mutant hunters but we're actually the original X-men but we also pretend to be an mutant terrorist team but then we realize we're actually making things worse for mutants" is just :psyduck:.

That stuff gets dropped at some point right? And I really need to read Excaliber.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's also good when Alan Davis comes back - Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues of any comic. All that stuff with Necrom and the Anti-Phoenix is great fun.

I actually don't like Warren Ellis's Excalibur. Tried it, but couldn't get into it; too accustomed to the straight-ahead superhero stuff.

Yeah all of Davis's run is great. I more consider Britanic to be the death of that book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, i read all that Xmen stuff with Forge and the vaguely racist Shaman and Roma and all that stuff. It wasn't labled Fall of the Mutants, so I figured that was something upcoming. The X-factor stuff sounds the best, but I have to admit, X-factor is really overly complex. The whole "We're mutant hunters but we're actually the original X-men but we also pretend to be an mutant terrorist team but then we realize we're actually making things worse for mutants" is just :psyduck:.

That stuff gets dropped at some point right? And I really need to read Excaliber.

Yeah post-FotM they out themselves and go 'what were we thinking?!'.

Also they crash Apocalypse's giant spaceship into the city and use it as a hq.

See the first statement.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I always had a soft spot in my heart for their competition in the "mutant ghostbusters" industry, the M-Squad. They were almost literally the Ghostbusters - matching jumpsuits, crazy backpacks, poor understanding of what they'd gotten themselves into. They first showed up trying to catch Jubilee in a mall, which would never work given her home court advantage. Last I saw them, they walked into an elevator in the Empire State Building in the middle of Inferno. If memory serves, the elevator burped shortly after closing the doors, and I don't recall seeing them again. Poor bastards.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Part of the appeal of X-Factor in those days was the fact they were all broken in some way. Jean was pissed over losing years of her life (and telepathy) to a hosed up, star-eating godbeing and the fact Scott had moved on and gotten married and had a kid almost overnight as far as it felt to her; Scott for his part pretty much had a breakdown, abandoned said wife and kid for a bit when he found out Jean was alive, thought he was going insane, blew up his house and developed a major hate on for Xavier; Bobby was more or less okay till Loki kidnapped him and hosed with/supercharged his powers to near fatal levels; Warren was manipulated by his 'best friend', lost his wings and his fortune and got Horseman'd; and Hank was pretty much poo poo on for almost 30 issues straight, defuzzed, almost killed by Pestilence and then got dumber and dumber to the point where he was practically drooling. And they all refused to get in touch with the X-Men after they found out Magneto was left in charge of the school when Charles left.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
X-Factor was my favorite comic when I started but that was just because I really loving loved Archangel. I think I need to re-read it because a lot of it was probably lost on me.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Excalibur from the beginning through #50'ish is my favorite run of any comic ever. As a kid in 1980's America, I had never been exposed to that very English sci-fi sensibility - Dr. Who, the Avengers, Red Dwarf, Monty Python - that mixes absurdist humor with British stuffiness. I recent re-read that run and was shocked that it held up as good as it did when I was like, eight. Better, actually, because I get a lot of the weird humor even more now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dennis Hopeless is taking over at least one major X book (ANX) in October. For all the poo poo I've said about Bendis, at least he's had some really majorly great books that he's done (Daredevil, Powers, USM, etc). Hopeless on the other hand has a bunch of mediocre to really bad titles under his belt with his one even remotely shining star (Cable and the X-Force) kinda in the past.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eww. Also I'm really surprised the All New team is sticking around after Secret Wars.

I assume Uncanny will change a lot. The way it ended doesn't really seem like grounds to pick back up with that cast after Secret Wars.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Dennis Hopeless is taking over at least one major X book (ANX) in October. For all the poo poo I've said about Bendis, at least he's had some really majorly great books that he's done (Daredevil, Powers, USM, etc). Hopeless on the other hand has a bunch of mediocre to really bad titles under his belt with his one even remotely shining star (Cable and the X-Force) kinda in the past.

Remember he last time that he wrote X-23? Yeah not looking forward to this.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember he last time that he wrote X-23? Yeah not looking forward to this.

What was wrong with his X-23? I mean specifically, because what I read of Arena, I don't remember. I'm also of the opinion that Bendis' X-23 was pretty bad. I really liked C&XF, preferred it to the X-Force that came after, even, but I was kinda hoping the O5 team would just cease to exist after Secret Wars. Their continued existence seems to me like an admission of no faith in the draw of the other young mutants. (Unless it's a case of "same title, new team": For a long time I've wanted sort of a New New Mutants book where people like Laura, QQ, Rockslide, and Anole struck it out on their own as an X-team not using the school as a setting, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.)

But yeah, Hopeless is most certainly not a "benefit of the doubt" type of writer. I'm jumping off. While I'm making wishes, here's hoping Laura gets a solo title as "Wolverine" by a good creative team.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Cullen Bunn and (shudder) Greg Land on UXM.

Bunn has done some great work, but it's never stuff with teams. It'll sell because some assholes seem to think Land has talent but I really wish they didn't put him back on UXM. Haven't we suffered enough atrocities?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

:smith: I just want to pick up X-Men comics again. It's been so long since I have been subscribed to one of the major titles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All we're missing is the announcement of a Slott/Ramos book and we'll usher in a new golden age of unreadable X-men comics.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

No Slott book yet but Ramos will be found ruining Lemire's words in Extraordinary X-men.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RevKrule posted:

Cullen Bunn and (shudder) Greg Land on UXM.

gently caress off, really? Fooled me once, Marvel, but only because Gillen was writing. In the immortal words of GWB2: "Fool me twice... you don't get fooled again".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last artist was so bad I think Land might actually be an improvement.

Are there any cast announcements/covers to go along with the teams yet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

All we're missing is the announcement of a Slott/Ramos book and we'll usher in a new golden age of unreadable X-men comics.

I'd gladly sacrifice X-Men on the altar of Slott if it means he's no longer writing any books about Spider-people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men Season 1 by Hopeless was pretty good, and it was the original X-Men. So I'll give that book a chance.

Old Cyclops isn't listed on any of the teams, which is weird.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread