Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Somehow the medic gets voluntold for the loving MILES turn-in at JRTC like a loving sacrificial lamb; never in my life had I seriously contemplated exactly how I would go about choking on my own tongue as much as I did that day.
Oh goddamnit that's going to be me. I signed for all that crap. And my hatred for MILES started with zeroing 240s and 249s for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ugh, MILES gear on the Abrams. It's called MIGITTS (phonetic; no idea how to spell the stupid acronym) and blows. Worst part is that you had to attach this honeycomb of firecrackers to the side that were to supposed to go off when you fired but they never loving did. That and the stupid strobe lights that had to get attached to the hull as well. And boresight? gently caress your boresight.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ugh, MILES gear on the Abrams. It's called MIGITTS (phonetic; no idea how to spell the stupid acronym) and blows. Worst part is that you had to attach this honeycomb of firecrackers to the side that were to supposed to go off when you fired but they never loving did. That and the stupid strobe lights that had to get attached to the hull as well. And boresight? gently caress your boresight.

It works. Once. We got a new set, shiny out of the box never been touched, and it worked.

Then it never again worked after that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Saw an Abrams at the motor pool with a poo poo ton of velcro all over it, that for attaching MILES gear or something?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
that, or the thermal panel thingemies.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It's for a combat patch but those are getting outlawed in garrison so you probably will never see it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
MILES gear feels like one of those long-running financial scams where the manufacturer and deliverer are working together with whoever is in control of the payments for the organization. They don't even put half a flying gently caress of effort into shipping the product and the guy signing for payment gets a kickback for saying "Yeah, sure, they fulfilled the contract. Mostly."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

SumYungGui posted:

MILES gear feels like one of those long-running financial scams where the manufacturer and deliverer are working together with whoever is in control of the payments for the organization. They don't even put half a flying gently caress of effort into shipping the product and the guy signing for payment gets a kickback for saying "Yeah, sure, they fulfilled the contract. Mostly."

sounds like the army in general

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Besides stuff like the MILES gear for Strykers and poo poo, has anyone actually seen stuff made after '91?

If you found a laser that you didn't have to 5/50 cord and 100 mph tape to your rifle because it was so worn out and busted, I'd call you a goddamn lair.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nvg's seemed fairly recent for us

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My unit had some fairly new nods and lasers and poo poo. PVS-14, PEQ-15, MTM, etc. are all pretty new, and that's just personal gear. I mean, they didn't look new, but stuff like the mini thermal monoculars are fairly recent technology and cool as hell. Of course, if you try wearing one while violently bouncing around on top of your truck, then your eyeballs are receiving two images that are out of sync and it really throws your brain for a loop.

They are decent for playing cornhole in the dark, though.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SumYungGui posted:

When I was going through those classes you do before you out I saw on the tv that had a slideshow going of who got immediately hired right out of the army "LTC XXX, Cubic Defense Inc." Cubic of course being the company that manufactures MILES.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

It's for a combat patch but those are getting outlawed in garrison so you probably will never see it.

Lol

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Equine Don posted:

When I was going through those classes you do before you out I saw on the tv that had a slideshow going of who got immediately hired right out of the army "LTC XXX, Cubic Defense Inc." Cubic of course being the company that manufactures MILES.

Colt had a former marine general and a former army general on their board of directors, whom are directly attributed with turning the carbine replacement program into a poo poo show that just cost a pile of money. And being able to procure continuous orders despite colt losing the contract in 2013.

Not that it helped them much in the end.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I used a Fabrique Nationale M4A1 :cool:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So I was looking into the brigade I'm going to and I noticed that it's under "administrative control" of the 7th ID. Why not just make it part of the 7th ID instead of keeping it flagged as 2nd ID?

Apparently 2nd BDE 2nd ID was a part of the 7th ID before it was inactivated in the 90's anyway.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Carteret posted:

Besides stuff like the MILES gear for Strykers and poo poo, has anyone actually seen stuff made after '91?

If you found a laser that you didn't have to 5/50 cord and 100 mph tape to your rifle because it was so worn out and busted, I'd call you a goddamn lair.

The poo poo they give out at JRTC seems pretty new-production. That doesn't stop them from somehow registering a blue-on-blue kill on someone 2 feet to the left and behind the muzzle. Jury is out on whether it was lovely MILES equipment or the fact that the person who got killed was the LT.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mustang posted:

So I was looking into the brigade I'm going to and I noticed that it's under "administrative control" of the 7th ID. Why not just make it part of the 7th ID instead of keeping it flagged as 2nd ID?

Apparently 2nd BDE 2nd ID was a part of the 7th ID before it was inactivated in the 90's anyway.
7ID is there on Lewis for a few reasons, some of which are probably bullshit, but one practical one is that 2ID headquarters is in Korea. Good luck getting anything approved by a headquarters in Korea within a reasonable timeframe. For example, let's say that your unit is at NTC in Ft. Irwin. You want to launch a Raven UAV. You'll have to wait for approval from some assholes on the other side of the planet just to throw up a little R/C plane in the California desert. Yes, that's really how it happens.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are there any permanent party members of the 2ID HQ, or is it still a 1 year unaccompanied rotation like all of their down-trace units?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carteret posted:

Related: my first satellite shelters, the AN/TSC-93 and 85, were older than me in 2006, although they had some new parts inside; we used that thing for 7 more years.

(Not mine)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I worked on a plane that had a service tag on it that said it was built in '61.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SumYungGui posted:

I worked on a plane that had a service tag on it that said it was built in '61.

Other than the c-17 and raptor fleet are there any other aircraft in the USAF not older than their maintainers?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The M2s we used in Korea were built in like 1928-29 or some poo poo. Might have been 18-19. Also had the original M113 that got upgraded each step over the years until it was an A3.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Flikken posted:

Other than the c-17 and raptor fleet are there any other aircraft in the USAF not older than their maintainers?

Air Force maybe. This was Army fixed wing so you can be god drat sure it was ancient.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There was an Army DHC-4 that made supply runs to our FOB in Afghanistan. Those have been around since Vietnam.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I drew short straw and managed the company's ammo dump and it was always neat to see fifty-cal ammunition that had inspection slips going back to the early fifties or whatever. Ammo was probably some of these best I'd seen too, so good work long line of dudes who got hosed over before me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So apparently as part of the combatives training in ABOLC you get punched in the face 4 times. All the cadre that are level 2 or higher can come that day as lieutenants get in line to get punched in the face. If I was one of the NCO's responsible for training boot lieutenants I would definitely be there every single time to punch some LTs in the face.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Mustang posted:

So apparently as part of the combatives training in ABOLC you get punched in the face 4 times. All the cadre that are level 2 or higher can come that day as lieutenants get in line to get punched in the face. If I was one of the NCO's responsible for training boot lieutenants I would definitely be there every single time to punch some LTs in the face.

Level 1? It's some pussy poo poo with boxing gloves and padded suits, they're talking about the close the distance bits where you'll probably get popped a few times. If you've never been hit in the face it'll be a little surprising, that's all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Last day of combatives is sweet at ABOLC. Go in the the morning, get punched in the face a few times doing the clinch, released before lunchtime for the rest of the day. Worst that can happen is a broken nose or light concussion.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
In :siren: BASIC TRAINING :siren: one kid got a tooth broken. One half stayed in his mouth, the other half stayed in his mouthguard. It was gnarly as gently caress

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

If you're an officer, it might be a surprise to get punched in the face. If you're enlisted, it's par for the course.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
How you react to getting punched in the face has always been my test of a man. - 13B

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Artillery has fight clubs
or we just choked each other out
either way

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Equine Don posted:

arty has fight clubs
or we just choked each other
either way army's still gay

Now it's a haiku

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
two years ago i was an english major and i just wanted to write and make minimum wage and drop out of this bullshit world
then i joined the army
and now im an alcoholic
thanks for listening

gently caress the army

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Holy poo poo, I didn't know I blacked out and made a new account named reptileintheswamp.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

reptileintheswamp posted:

two years ago i was an english major and i just wanted to write and make minimum wage and drop out of this bullshit world
then i joined the army
and now im an alcoholic
thanks for listening

gently caress the army

lmbo

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
The US military is the world's greatest producer of schadenfreude, hands down.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know I blacked out and made a new account named reptileintheswamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Aranan posted:

you should seek help for this. don't worry, it won't affect your career

• Locked thread