Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's absolutely directing and the care put into the CGI, not an innate part of CGI itself. Nobody complained that the Jurassic Park Stegosaurus0 brachiosaurus lacks 'weight' or said it should've been an animatronic.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That's because there is no stegosaurus in Jurassic Park.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is it still a brachiosaurus or did they change the name

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This is brachiosaurus

They did use an animatronic for the close-up

Then switched back to CGI for the medium-range shot when it sneezes on Lex

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

That's because there is no stegosaurus in Jurassic Park.

poo poo. :downsrim:

But yeah, I meant that first scene with the brachiosaur. Even despite the issues with CG that have been pointed out with it in this thread (blurry, etc) nobody's complaining about it being weightless because Spielberg and ILM directed the poo poo out of it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

This is why I keep saying it's really not a matter of quality, if the CGI is good enough anyways- it's a matter of preference.

Great example- Godzilla 2014 VS the older Godzilla movies. Godzilla's CGI allowed him to be even more 'realistic' than ever, with fantastic subtle motions like breathing in that you can follow from his chest to his nostrils, that just cannot be done with the suit version of Godzilla.

However it doesn't change the fact that you know both are fake as gently caress. Never once did Godzilla look real, in any movie.

It falls down to what you would prefer to see. I like seeing actual props and animatronics and suits. My favorite kind of special effect is good stop motion. So I prefer suitmation Godzilla, much as I prefer the animatronic T-Rex.

Can't speak for others though.

Actually the reason i like the old godzilla is because He kung-fu (maybe karate) fights.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Honestly the switching between CGI and animatronics was pretty seemless in JW. When I first saw the movie I assumed the dying Apatosaur was another CGI creation when it was really a physical creature and I found out later some of the Raptor scenes were done with puppets as well. Also, the early trailers made it seem like most of the park was a CG creation (Remember that CG gate scene from the trailer? Its not even in the actual movie) but in the actual movie you can tell most of it is real sets which was pretty impressive actually.

The big issue I had was with the design and colorization of the dinosaurs. 90% of the animals had that dark gray skin tone whereas in the first film the animals have wildly different colors and iconic looks. The raptors were gray, the Trike & Gallimimus was brown, Dilophosaurus was green with red and yellow stripes, etc.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They did a lot of very deliberate things with color in JW, like each of the raptors having a different color pattern and one being named for hers, and indominus being "white". The blue/gray on the diplodocus was good. Gallimimus and triceratops lost something in translation. The pteranodons were improved color-wise with those distinct red flashes but I thought their cgi and faces were pretty bad. Rex looks great imo though you only really see it at night.

Because Blue has a greener skintone and more knobbly things on her/bigger eyebrow ridges she looks more like a lizard than the original raptors, but it's also a change in their stances and portrayal overall too. Notice how much bigger her eyes are, so she can ask if she is kawaii. I feel like they lifted the "unique color pattern" cues from JP3 while leaving the rest of those designs behind obviously.

There's also something to be said for lighting- the original trike is seen under a rainy sky, the new one is in broad daylight. And iRex, because she is so pale, ends up reflecting the colors around her. I thought the colors there worked though, she looks particularly freakish next to the other "normal" dinosaurs. There is no excuse for the gallimimus change though.

I'm sure dilophosaurus will see its triumphant return in the next movie. :smith:

edit: I just noticed the official render of the rex has scars from about where the raptors attacked the rex in the first movie. :supaburn:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 10, 2015

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist

turtlecrunch posted:

This is brachiosaurus

They did use an animatronic for the close-up

Then switched back to CGI for the medium-range shot when it sneezes on Lex

I'm I wrong in thinking the brachiosaurus's head in JP is wildly too big? Like, it looks like Grant could fit inside its mouth. I know it works for the scene but it's always stuck out to me.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah

The only thing that's really close is the upper estimate for another sauropod (Amphiocoelias) that is only known from a single fragment (now destroyed).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasn't there something recently about how triceratops is actually just a juvenile skeleton of a different species?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasn't there something recently about how triceratops is actually just a juvenile skeleton of a different species?
Yeah, the Torosaurus. If I remember right it's not conclusively proven yet, but it's a strong theory.

For everyone worried about the Triceratops going away, since the Triceratops was discovered and named first, it would just mean that the Torosaurus would be renamed Triceratops.

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Sorry for barging in for this, but this is one of those things that drives me nuts. Torosaurus and Triceratops are distinct genera. Once every so often Jack Horner will bandy around some questionable hypothesis to get publicity. More often than not, they don't hold up under deeper scrutiny.

(But for the purposes of Jurassic World I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway because of Dr. Wu's mix n' match cloning.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sulphagne posted:

Sorry for barging in for this, but this is one of those things that drives me nuts. Torosaurus and Triceratops are distinct genera. Once every so often Jack Horner will bandy around some questionable hypothesis to get publicity. More often than not, they don't hold up under deeper scrutiny.

(But for the purposes of Jurassic World I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway because of Dr. Wu's mix n' match cloning.)
I stand corrected! Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

turtlecrunch posted:

edit: I just noticed the official render of the rex has scars from about where the raptors attacked the rex in the first movie. :supaburn:

See everyone keeps saying this but you don't actually see those scars in the film until the end after her fight with Indominus who is who I assumed gave her those large scars.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Indominus gave her huge scars on her flank on the other side, like down her whole side. The scars in the render are teeny ones on her neck. But I'll wait till it comes out on home video or something and look again, because I feel like I never saw the tiny neck scars in the movie itself (though there's only one shot of her in the daytime).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Alucard Nacirema posted:

See everyone keeps saying this but you don't actually see those scars in the film until the end after her fight with Indominus who is who I assumed gave her those large scars.

She had two sets of scars/wounds. Ones were fresh, and others were old and had long since healed. The old ones were around the neck and head.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
It's kind of strange that they supposedly still have the rex from the first film. Wouldn't she have died already? and what about the other animals like the baby Velociraptors and the hatchlings of the original 15 species??

Everyone is so hung up with minor inconsistencies and some bad dialogue in the script but I think these unanswered questions are a bigger issue

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It's kind of strange that they supposedly still have the rex from the first film. Wouldn't she have died already?

It's only been like 20 years since the first film.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Sounds like you guys need to just watch the original JP because this entire thread is turning into what Jurassic Park is/was compared to what Jurassic World isn't.

Like Jay-Z said "niggas want my old poo poo? Buy my old albums."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It's kind of strange that they supposedly still have the rex from the first film. Wouldn't she have died already? and what about the other animals like the baby Velociraptors and the hatchlings of the original 15 species??

Everyone is so hung up with minor inconsistencies and some bad dialogue in the script but I think these unanswered questions are a bigger issue

Large Dinosaurs are notoriously hard to kill, it's much easier to just keep the old girl as an attraction, hell she can't even run down a woman in heels anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cole posted:

Sounds like you guys need to just watch the original JP because this entire thread is turning into what Jurassic Park is/was compared to what Jurassic World isn't.

Good.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

It's only been like 20 years since the first film.

She would be late 30s/early 40s at that point. I don't know animal lifespans but that seems a bit old.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The oldest known fossilized T-Rex was estimated to be about 30, although when in their lifespans Tyrannosaurs reached maturity is still hazy due to the relative lack of intact juvenile skeletons. You can handwave the T-Rex's age away by saying that inGen probably protected their investment pretty well and kept the Rex safe from all the usual life-threatening hazards of the Cretaceous.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Alucard Nacirema posted:

She would be late 30s/early 40s at that point. I don't know animal lifespans but that seems a bit old.

I think the oldest T. rex remains ever found were of a 28-year-old, and that's considered to have been near the maximum. Those were wild T. rexes, though. Rexy's a genetic freak who's spent most of her life in captivity, so all bets are off as far as I care.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Infiltration running sets, FT50, training for EVO :allears: http://www.twitch.tv/infiltration85

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

teagone posted:

Infiltration running sets, FT50, training for EVO :allears: http://www.twitch.tv/infiltration85
But who does I-Rex main?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Jurassic World yesterday and surprisingly enjoyed it. I barely remember Jurassic Park, I was 9 when it originally came out and that's when I last saw it. This felt like a faithful sequel to that movie though, certainly way better then the other Jurassic Park sequels, and it seems like World just straight up erases the other sequels?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

it seems like World just straight up erases the other sequels?

Yes, what happens canonically are the events of Jurassic Park, then they crackdown and rebuild the park, and it's all successful until today.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There's nothing in Jurassic World that says the other two movies never took place though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Stare-Out posted:

There's nothing in Jurassic World that says the other two movies never took place though.

Meanwhile the Spinosaurus skeleton suggest they did, so in fact, they most probably did.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That could be more of a nod, the two previous movies took place on another island after all and would they have dragged the Spino's (now apparently dead for some reason) skeleton all the way from Sorna to Nublar? JW doesn't really outright refer to The Lost World or Jurassic Park 3 but it doesn't state anything that rules them out either.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Some of the viral marketing stuff references the other two movies, apparently.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alucard Nacirema posted:

How do you figure? She was probably only 3 or 4 in the first film. Fully grown, but not mid-life. InGen didn't make her 20 years before JP. The tech was all still new.

If Rexes lived to about 30 in nature they'd probably go to at least 40 in cared-for environment, easy for her to be around in mid-20s in JW. It adds up fine.

EDIT: The Jurassic World marketing material puts her born in 1990, she's 25.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 11, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was just kind of moderately enjoying this movie until the big Raptor/T-Rex team up at the end, at which point I was 100% on board and the entire movie was elevated from like 2 stars to 3.5 stars for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MikeJF posted:

How do you figure? She was probably only 3 or 4 in the first film. Fully grown, but not mid-life. InGen didn't make her 20 years before JP. The tech was all still new.

If Rexes lived to about 30 in nature they'd probably go to at least 40 in cared-for environment, easy for her to be around in mid-20s in JW. It adds up fine.

Most scientific estimates guess that T-Rex didn't reach adulthood until about 15 years of age, meaning the Rex as it appeared in the original JP would have to be significantly older than 3 or 4. But again, Who Cares.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

And T-Rexes apparently could survive some serious poo poo back in the day, so it'd be harder to kill her than not.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
T Rexes also joined forces with raptors like all the time back in the day.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pierson posted:

But who does I-Rex main?

Oh poo poo, wrong thread. Lol. I didn't even realize until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

I was just kind of moderately enjoying this movie until the big Raptor/T-Rex team up at the end, at which point I was 100% on board and the entire movie was elevated from like 2 stars to 3.5 stars for me.

Yeah, a good monster fight finish can absolve many sins.

• Locked thread