Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Yes, that's the problem.

If he did that and was otherwise the same, it'd work out perfectly.

You really don't get why Superman deciding he, and he alone, has the right to be judge, jury and executioner is inherently opposed to a guy who was raised as an everyman in the mid-west and believes that everyone is equal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I think your all missing the point that the whole thing in itself is ridiculous.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

You really don't get why Superman deciding he, and he alone, has the right to be judge, jury and executioner is inherently opposed to a guy who was raised as an everyman in the mid-west and believes that everyone is equal?

Nope. People are normally fine with the idea of a kind and just god kill evil people in an abstract way, why not a literal one? Superman could do it, and he should.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just make a monthly comic where every month a different hero becomes the Spectre for a short period of time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Authority was right, unironically.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 10, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm sold on those one shots. Justice League and the New Gods together always has my attention.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So we have sequels to Convergence

quote:

Superman: Lois & Clark
Written by Dan Jurgens | Art by Lee Weeks | On-sale October 14

Following the epic events of CONVERGENCE, here are the adventures of the last son and daughter of Krypton and Earth as they try to survive in a world not their own. But can they keep this world from suffering the same fate as their own? Can this Superman stop the villains he once fought before they are created on this world? What is Intergang, and why does Lois’s discovery of it place everyone she loves in jeopardy? And what will happen when their nine-year-old son learns the true identity of his parents?

Telos

Written by Jeff King | Art by Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz | On-sale October 7
The villain of the world-shattering CONVERGENCE event stars in his own new series! Set loose from his planetary tether at the end of the best-selling CONVERGENCE, Telos finds himself free and able to traverse space and time via a sliver of Brainiac’s powers. As this epic begins, he embarks on an odyssey, journeying across time and space in search of his past.

Titans Hunt

Written by Dan Abnett | Art by Paulo Siqueira | On-sale October 21
CONVERGENCE is over, but the ripples are still being felt, especially by a young precog named Lilith. What are these visions she’s having of a Teen Titans team the world never knew? And why does she feel compelled to seek out Dick Grayson, Roy Harper, Donna Troy and an Atlantean named Garth and warn them that something dark and sinister is coming after them? Who are Mal, Gnarrk, Hank Hall and Dawn Granger, and what is their connection to the others—and to the fate of every soul on Earth? This is the Secret History of the TEEN TITANS!

And Neal Adams is doing Coming of the Superman

quote:

Neal Adams heads up Coming of the Superman, describing it during the "New DC Universe: Superman: Are You Ready?" panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego as "all of [Jack Kirby's] characters fighting Superman."

"The three new Supermen fall somewhere between the Three Musketeers and Three Stooges," said Adams. At the end, there's a big surprise. They take Superman's blood, and they discover something about Superman, and that's all I can tell you."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Neat, Lois & Clark and Titans Hunt seem like they could really be incredible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Superman:American Alien by Max Landis

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm trying to come up with a title I want to read less than a Telos solo book and I can't do it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Landis is an rear end in a top hat, but he's genuinely a good writer. Could be good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dunbar posted:

I'm trying to come up with a title I want to read less than a Telos solo book and I can't do it.

A solo about Jimmy Olsen's bug-lady girlfriend from Countdown?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
That Superman/Lois book is 100 % whatever, and I guess there's a fan contingency out there that's geniunely dying for that kind of story with that kind of creative team. It's not coming at the expense of the actual Superman comics that are all good right now, so more power to it I guess.

That Telos book is such a hilarious dead on arrival piece of poo poo. I honestly can't believe DC hasn't learned their lesson with this after books like Pandora and Lobo. There is no one on this planet who is looking forward to that and even if that book ended up somehow becoming the next Silver Surfer, it's not like anyone would ever hear about it.

Titans sounds like one of those dumb brand management comics that exist only to take a franchise from Point A to Point B. In this case, bringing back the 'real' Wally West, and reforming the pre-New 52 Titans. Pass.

Landis is a piece of poo poo and I hated his Adventures of Superman story, but his pitch for American Alien doesn't sound that bad? It sounds cute and harmless really.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman Three Musketeers Vs Jack Kirby by Mr. Batman Odyssey?

Ooh baby :)

Semper Fudge posted:

That Superman/Lois book is 100 % whatever, and I guess there's a fan contingency out there that's geniunely dying for that kind of story with that kind of creative team.

Did you read Convergence: Superman?
The whole thing was kinda nice, but issue 1 had Lee Weeks and holy crap, was that beautiful.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 10, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The Superman/Lois title is basically DC having their cake and eating it too, by giving people the marriage they want while keeping the awful SM/WW relationship alive.

Excited for Superman vs New Gods though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who will Clark have tied up so he can narrate the story to them while seductively stripping?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Batman Odyssey was completely insane and I actually think that insanity would work really well for Superman.

Is there any clarification if this book is New 52 Supes or more out of continuity Supes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Sinestro meme cover is just horrible.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hm, I'll probably check out Titans Hunt out of morbid curiosity.

Dunbar posted:

Yeah this feels like some bizarre waste of everyone's time and resources. There's not even any Schadenfreude about it, it's just terrible.

Did we ever even discover who Telos is supposed to be? I seem to recall Convergence being all "ooooooooooooh what's iconic breakout character Telos' secret origin? Which wooooorld is he from? Who is he reeeaallly supposed to beeeeeeee~?" for five issues and then just flat-out never answering those questions even when it ended.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Neal talked about his Superman idea on Kevin Smiths podcast ages ago. Let's get nuts.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

BrianWilly posted:

Hm, I'll probably check out Titans Hunt out of morbid curiosity.

Dan Abnett writing the Titans isn't the worst thing, but the pitch of the Titans being gathered together because someone is inspired by another universe's version of the Titans is like three layers of weird meta poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh look, Geoff Johns writing Hal Jordan as the best Lantern ever and only hope because the rest of the corps has been destroyed like a bunch of useless fucks. How loving original.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh look, Geoff Johns writing Hal Jordan as the best Lantern ever and only hope because the rest of the corps has been destroyed like a bunch of useless fucks. How loving original.

You remember when he had like a concussion or something and he wrote Sinestro just constantly trolling Hal and it was great?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So this just happened.

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/11/milestone-comics-to-return-to-dc/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So we have sequels to Convergence

And Neal Adams is doing Coming of the Superman

If the Superman/ Lois Lane book is done as a "Superman and Lois are attempting to Speedrun through the DC Universe using all the knowledge they had of Post Crisis DC" I think it could be both really interesting and funny.

Superman: Hey Bruce, I heard that everyone broke out of Arkham. Here's the guy who did it, he's called Bane and he hates you. I also captured all of your rogues and rebuilt Arkham.
Now you have a cold, get into bed and recover, Superman's orders.

Batman: *sniffle.* Okay.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jiro posted:

You remember when he had like a concussion or something and he wrote Sinestro just constantly trolling Hal and it was great?

If they were on the Legion of Doom, Johns loves them as much as the heroes. Sinestro, Captain Cold, Lex Luthor, Black Manta. Johns writing Shazam and Black Adam was him trying to make up for them not being on Super Friends.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WickedHate posted:

Absolutely. Sure, it'd be bad if he suddenly and for no real reason turned into an unhinged tyrant or went Incorruptible on everyone, but that's not Superman.

Superman murdering people and also claiming complete power is also not Superman. You seem to be saying "it would be awesome if Superman was God-Emperor of Earth but still maintained his sense of ethics and righteousness" but you're failing to realize that the thing that keeps Superman from becoming God-Emperor of Earth are the very same sense of ethics and righteousness.

There are all kinds of important ethical and philosophical reasons why you're wrong on this, but they would take ages and ages to explain. Please understand that when I say "suffice it to say, you'll grow out of it" I'm not trying to be a snarkily dismissive rear end in a top hat - almost everyone I know thought along similar lines at some point in their life and then realized they were wrong once they got a bit older and learned more poo poo via life experience. So instead of spending the next few hours explaining things like "if someone forces you to be good, then by taking away the choice they have essentially rendered 'being good' a valueless proposition" and suchlike, I'm just going to reassure you that in a few years you'll remember having written those last few posts and wince.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think if Superman were real and truly that ethic and righteous, he wouldn't have a problem with it. That he doesn't is an arbitary limitation similar to how Batman's no kill policy wouldn't exist if not for a combination of wanting to keep the comics more childlike early on and also to keep old villians able to come back over and over.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"if someone forces you to be good, then by taking away the choice they have essentially rendered 'being good' a valueless proposition"

I know that, I'm not advocating brainwashing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I think if Superman were real and truly that ethic and righteous, he wouldn't have a problem with it. That he doesn't is an arbitary limitation similar to how Batman's no kill policy wouldn't exist if not for a combination of wanting to keep the comics more childlike early on and also to keep old villians able to come back over and over.

I know that, I'm not advocating brainwashing.

You are advocating following my rules or I will kill you

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Codependent Poster posted:

He's also turning Barry Allen into the Black Racer, something that he's totally never done before and totally isn't a retread of his own crappy story.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Superman murdering people and also claiming complete power is also not Superman. You seem to be saying "it would be awesome if Superman was God-Emperor of Earth but still maintained his sense of ethics and righteousness" but you're failing to realize that the thing that keeps Superman from becoming God-Emperor of Earth are the very same sense of ethics and righteousness.

There are all kinds of important ethical and philosophical reasons why you're wrong on this, but they would take ages and ages to explain. Please understand that when I say "suffice it to say, you'll grow out of it" I'm not trying to be a snarkily dismissive rear end in a top hat - almost everyone I know thought along similar lines at some point in their life and then realized they were wrong once they got a bit older and learned more poo poo via life experience. So instead of spending the next few hours explaining things like "if someone forces you to be good, then by taking away the choice they have essentially rendered 'being good' a valueless proposition" and suchlike, I'm just going to reassure you that in a few years you'll remember having written those last few posts and wince.

Yes, these are the posts she's going to wince about in a few years, and not the chaos magic stuff.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

You are advocating following my rules or I will kill you

Yeah, but eventually people will learn why this must be and how being good, as well as keeping you alive and comfortable, is it's own reward.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Multiversity Sequel and new Batman Black & White

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yeaaaaaaaaaah! This has got to be the best news all month.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Two questions for you guys:

B&N is having a buy two get one free sale on DC trades. I'm pretty out of the loop on DC. What are some trades I absolutely should get that came out in the last couple years?

Also can someone explain to me all this robot Batman business?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Unmature posted:

Two questions for you guys:

B&N is having a buy two get one free sale on DC trades. I'm pretty out of the loop on DC. What are some trades I absolutely should get that came out in the last couple years?

Also can someone explain to me all this robot Batman business?
Depends what characters you like. Court of Owls + Zero Year (Secret City+Dark City in trades) is good if you're a Batman fan. Azzarello's Wonder Woman is good for Wonder Woman lovers. Personally I loved Demon Knights, which is about Jason Blood/Etrigan leading a team of misfit warriors in medieval times, and that comes in three paperback trades so you can get the whole series through this deal.

And as for Robot Batman - it's Jim Gordon. Bruce is faking his death after the events of Endgame, so everyone believes Batman is dead. The city decides Batman is needed as a symbol, but this time will be allied with the GCPD and Gordon gets picked for the job based on reliability. It's pretty fun because Gordon himself doesn't believe he's cut out for it.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

I forgot all about Multiversity, everyone was so excited by it and kept talking about it at the start but then it all went quiet. Was the ending really bad or something?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked it. :shrug:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Starsnostars posted:

I forgot all about Multiversity, everyone was so excited by it and kept talking about it at the start but then it all went quiet. Was the ending really bad or something?

I think people were expecting it to be more of a thing than it really was. In the end, it was a fairly straightforward storyline resolved in two issues, with seven spin-off one-shots in the middle. I really liked all of the issues, but there wasn't really much time to develop characters or get readers emotionally involved with the stakes, so it just doesn't feel like a big-deal story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Multiversity I think is just about exploring different corners of DC and enjoying them for what they are. I wasn't into it for the longer storyline, but I never got the feeling I had to be.

• Locked thread