Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Tantalus crew really have a whole lot of personality to 'em.

They're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Magic Sword is obviously enough unavailable if Steiner or Vivi are knocked out, but it's also unavailable if Vivi is Silenced. It's actually pretty cool in that it ignores Protect, although very few enemies will cast it.

The Zidane v. Steiner confrontation is kinda funny if you name the latter Rusty.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fixed, thanks.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Steiner was one of my favorite characters in this game. Sure, he's a massive doofus, but he's well-intentioned and is trying to do what he thinks is right.

Plus, that whole hitting like an out of control truck thing. He was a constant in my party.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Seriously why does this ship have so many Ethers.

It's a flying party ship run by a band of brothers :cheers:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magic Sword is incredible in this game, but you have to look at the damage formula to see exactly how. The formula is basically (Weapon Attack - Defense) * Strength * Multipliers. Magic Sword adds a fixed amount to the Attack value depending on the spell, so it's actually like attacking with a better weapon. The first level elemental spells add 5 attack, and Steiner starts with 24 strength, so right off the bat Magic Sword is adding 120 damage before multipliers. On top of that, it ignores protect, and it doesn't break sleep. And the best part is that despite seeming like a combo attack, it doesn't cost Vivi a turn. I'm pretty sure it also ignores the penalty to attacking from the back row.

Magic Sword is what turns Steiner and Vivi into premiere shitkickers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Does Magic Sword have status effects like the Mystic Knight's ability, or is it just damage?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pure damage. Status effects aren't that great in this game, though.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
steiner + vivi 4 lyfe

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Fister Roboto posted:

Pure damage. Status effects aren't that great in this game, though.

I don't know about that. There are plenty of strong enemies and bosses that Blind helps against. It isn't going to completely neuter them, but the difference in overall damage is noticeable.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I must have played this game when I was really, REALLY stupid, because I don't think I ever caught on to the whole ability system. Maybe I did, though. It has been a long time.

OP, how are you recording this? I'm curious about your process. I think I have FFIX on my PS3, and I was going to post some screenshots of my progress if I ever get around to booting it up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

zfleeman posted:

I must have played this game when I was really, REALLY stupid, because I don't think I ever caught on to the whole ability system. Maybe I did, though. It has been a long time.

OP, how are you recording this? I'm curious about your process. I think I have FFIX on my PS3, and I was going to post some screenshots of my progress if I ever get around to booting it up.

FRAPS on ePSXe. There's no real reliable way to do in-emulator recording of PS1 games besides maybe PSXjin, which has its own problems once you let a video go above 2GB.

Recording PS1 footage is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I don't know about that. There are plenty of strong enemies and bosses that Blind helps against. It isn't going to completely neuter them, but the difference in overall damage is noticeable.

The problem with status effects is that most of them wear off after a short time. Blind doesn't, though, so it is pretty useful.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As much as I love this game, I really feel like this is one of the weakest moments, especially if you've played through before. After a fun, exciting intro, the plot more or less stalls until you get to the first town.

Also hey Mega, you gonna show off the secret/easter egg/whatever with saving on the map?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Steiner and Vivi make such a great team. The Tantalus crew are fun as well, you can really feel the camaraderie even whilst they're beating the crap out of each other or talking poo poo to each other.

It's a shame Magic Sword uses Steiner's low MP rather than Vivi's larger pool, it'd be even better if that were the case.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Brony Hunter posted:

Steiner and Vivi make such a great team. The Tantalus crew are fun as well, you can really feel the camaraderie even whilst they're beating the crap out of each other or talking poo poo to each other.

It's a shame Magic Sword uses Steiner's low MP rather than Vivi's larger pool, it'd be even better if that were the case.

Magic Sword is a boss killer or really annoying enemy killer. You get enough consumables in this game to use Ethers etc on Steiner when you need them. He's already incredibly powerful, so he doesn't need a huge boost.

Count me in on for the group that's started playing this again because of the LP. I tried to get the Moonstone several times just for the hell of it, but I was happy to get 96 and call it a day.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Last time I played I spent way too long getting 100 nobles.

Later when I picked up Theatrhythm Curtain Call guess which song I paid money for and spent way too long SSS-ranking

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, this game practically throws ethers at you left and right. There's pretty much no reason to worry about your MP.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, this game practically throws ethers at you left and right. There's pretty much no reason to worry about your MP.

But what if I need them later?! :ohdear:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Brony Hunter posted:

But what if I need them later?! :ohdear:

I always save them up too. And then I get Chakra, which is effectively free MP, so I sell most of them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I never did any ether farming and by the end of the game I was having to sell them because I kept hitting 99 ethers. Use your ethers.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

As much as I love this game, I really feel like this is one of the weakest moments, especially if you've played through before. After a fun, exciting intro, the plot more or less stalls until you get to the first town.

Also hey Mega, you gonna show off the secret/easter egg/whatever with saving on the map?
I really like the forest because as great as the opening is, you finally get to do stuff and start earning AP and have encounters and and and! I actually really like the ability system, no battle feels wasted and you can have some interesting decisions both in what to learn, what to equip temporarily and how to set up your crystals. I pretty much never look at the actual values of the items, just what they'll learn me. Did the same in Tactics Advance, with the notable difference that FFTA is a bloodlessly boring exercise in absolute tedium which I only played to completion because I had it and all of it's incredibly stupid decisions got balanced out by how much you can sleepwalk through it, while FF9 is just wonderful.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The entire Evil Forest sequence is awesome, though.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I just really like spooky forests in video games and there can never be too many of them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

Does Magic Sword have status effects like the Mystic Knight's ability, or is it just damage?

Sword Magic doesn't get Vivi's status spells, and Bio Sword is bugged to never poison.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's finally a Let's Play of the best Final Fantasy? :dance:

Honestly, I'd rather this game get a faithful remake than VII.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sword Magic doesn't get Vivi's status spells, and Bio Sword is bugged to never poison.

Just so long as they fix things like this and the weird mistranslated names some characters have.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Brony Hunter posted:

Magic Sword is already pretty OP. If it used Vivi's MP, it'd be even more completely insane.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The entire Evil Forest sequence is awesome, though.
Yeah the Evil Forest is awesome.

It's past this where the game hits it's first low note for me until past the town. It's very low-key compared to the excitement and action of the intro and this forest.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Not sure what you mean unless it's the save moogle yelling at you for constantly bothering him or something.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's one specific part in this game that you can chug through Ethers if you don't feel like playing 'tactically', and I normally make sure Steiner's there for that part and just have him use basic attacks so I don't have to rely on it (and also because it's almost guaranteed you'll have Vivi in that section).

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Mega64 posted:

Not sure what you mean unless it's the save moogle yelling at you for constantly bothering him or something.

I believe he's talking about -exactly- that. And I love it when you do it too much. You have to -actively- be doing it too.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
re: trance talk

I think it makes perfect sense that Trance wears off after a battle, because it's "induced by a surge of emotion". it wouldn't make quite as much narrative sense if you could just keep it and use it whenever.

I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you should like how that system plays out in battles, but I think it's a nice touch to try and connect the narrative effects to the battle system

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Oh, it does make narrative sense, I don't think anybody's questioning that. But it's a game mechanic that's almost completely beyond player's control, so except in battles like the one we've seen, where it's activated automatically, it's just... there. Next time, it will probably activate in a random battle that would end in two turns anyway.

I wonder if it would be better if some enemies or bosses had a way of taunting or otherwise upsetting player characters in battle. We've seen Steiner run away from oglops, just make oglop-based attacks and let them charge his Trance at a triple rate. :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

It could still be tweaked and not lose the narrative sense. If you triggered trance and never used it (i.e 60-80% of the time trance triggers), instead of completely dumping the gauge, maybe just cut it by half. Heck, cut the unused portion in half since I don't think I ever used the whole gauge.

A surge of emotion isn't gone after 1-5 minutes, you're adrenaline is still pumping well after that.

Or maybe something like the stagger mechanic in XIII. Large spikes fill the trance gauge and settle back down to a default number (1% per 1000 damage or 20% of Max HP?)

In the narrative sense, I'm pretty sure the surge of emotion would come back 10 times stronger if Zidane tranced on a goblin right before Steiner eviscerated him and then came back around to fight a boss.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Idea: have Zidane's trance be fueled by impatience. Charge it a bit every time Steal fails.

Pros: would have the player and the protagonist completely on the same note.
Cons: Trance as-is doesn't actually help with stealing.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I'm thinking they very specifically did not want to add limit breaks to the game, since it would break with the very traditional gameplay (see boss HP). But since limit breaks were a big part of pre-release press coverage they probably wanted some kind of wizz-bang limit break thing to talk about so they put something in that was the barest possible facsimile with the most minimal impact on gameplay.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I think the worst part about limits is that Garnet's is useless most of the time. It does literally nothing until about halfway through disc 2, and then most of disc 3 Garnet is mostly dead weight anyway.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dastardly posted:

I've spent way too much time thinking about what the voice cast would be like if IX had voices. Sadly Cristopher Lee is no longer of this world.

I just started reading this LP and I'm posting from a few pages back right now but if they ever gave IX a full cast Steiner should be voiced by Patrick Warburton and nobody else

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Steiner, a thief with the theater troupe Steiner, conspires with his allies Steiner, Steiner, Steiner, and Steiner to kidnap Princess Steiner. Meanwhile, a young black mage named Steiner collides with a rat kid named Steiner and the two work together to sneak into the castle to see the play, I Want To Be Your Steiner.

FFIX definitive edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

kalonZombie posted:

I think the worst part about limits is that Garnet's is useless most of the time. It does literally nothing until about halfway through disc 2, and then most of disc 3 Garnet is mostly dead weight anyway.

It does something. Her butt has no effect on the gameplay though.

• Locked thread