Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wyoak posted:

At my old job we used NIC teaming in failover mode (some servers going all the way back to 2003), but we always used the functionality built in to the drivers (so Broadcom or Intel's utilities). Broadcom's were a pile of poo poo and I convinced them to not bother on those, but Intel's utilities seemed to work pretty well.

Cheers, these Dells R420s have Broadcom adapters and I agree the Broadcom suite is a pile of lovely garbage trash, I'd rather use the OS teaming functionality in 2012 R2 because I've done it before and it definitely seems more reliable.

To elaborate on my last phonepost, my DCs are all physical and I have 2 per site. Our server racks have redundant everything, network, power, etc, so teaming isn't a terrible idea even if it's mostly unnecessary with 2 DCs. Basically one of my big focuses right now on servers is redundancy, DR, and high availability, so if a 2012 R2 DC works great with a failover team and I have the hardware available I don't see any reason why not to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

Is anyone else up on the Skype for Business Cloud PBX and Conference Call preview?

https://www.skypepreview.com/

It took me a few hours to figure it the gently caress out but now I have conference calls with the S4B meetings, and S4B itself making some high quality PTSN phone calls.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get my Polycoms up on it.

Edit: You can give 100 users free local and international calling for 6 months with the trial.

How the hell did I not know this was public, thanks, signing up now!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey I have a TLS question which I'll ask here because I did it on IIS even though it doesn't matter that it's IIS.

We have a PCI compliance scan on one web server and the new thing is that TLS 1.0 needs to be disabled. Deadline for this is some time in 2016 but someone wanted it done now. So we disabled TLS 1.0 and some weaker ciphers and now the web guy is getting calls from some users that they cannot access the web site (because I guess older browsers).

So anyway when I take this to the CFO he's going to ask "well how does Amazon deal with it" what should my answer be?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hey I have a TLS question which I'll ask here because I did it on IIS even though it doesn't matter that it's IIS.

We have a PCI compliance scan on one web server and the new thing is that TLS 1.0 needs to be disabled. Deadline for this is some time in 2016 but someone wanted it done now. So we disabled TLS 1.0 and some weaker ciphers and now the web guy is getting calls from some users that they cannot access the web site (because I guess older browsers).

So anyway when I take this to the CFO he's going to ask "well how does Amazon deal with it" what should my answer be?

Our customer base is older and lower middle class, so this has been a problem for us too. We have disabled SSLv2, SSLv3, and TLS 1.0 on our IIS and Apache instances in the last year or so to comply with PCI standards. We know this cuts into sales, but the fact of the matter is that XP and IE6 are so old and insecure we can't accommodate them and still comply with PCI. I think we put a page up to the user to install Firefox or Chrome.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Earl of Lavender posted:

Quick sanity check, if you'd all be so kind: I'm considering running Server 2012 on a Pentium G3258 machine (at stock clocks), and using it as a Hyper-V host with a maximum of two concurrent guests. Am I literally insane? Would my next step up, an i3-4360, be more appropriate, or perhaps, still underpowered?

As long as its not for production. If its production i'd do everything in my power to run on a xenon/ECC memory machine. No ECC will ffffuuucccckkk you

Tony Montana posted:

Let's talk some Enterprise Windows.. or more specifically.. what a career in this space means in 2015.

Globalization. Offshoring. Or as HP used to call it which made me shudder in my seat - bestshoring.

So my firm recently lost our contract with one of Australia's large networks(over 10k seats) to an Indian IT outsourcer. Their techs are not very good.

You see this in all aspects of our business, but in the Windows space it's particularly bad because 'everyone can do a bit of Windows, right?'.

Those jobs will be back. Most Indian IT knowledge is surface level and they're behind the curve on modern tech. "everyone can do a bit of windows" is going away right quick with Powershell parity in the next version of windows server.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 9, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

incoherent posted:

"everyone can do a bit of windows" is going away right quick with Powershell parity in the next version of windows server.

This is the loving truth right here. Myself and 1 other admin are the only people on our team that are even close to being competent with powershell, and it's come in super useful now we're deploying 2012R2 servers. People that don't hop on the PS train will get left behind.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If you can get over the hurdle of installing vnext without googling it, you can be a windows admin.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Powershell is fantastic too, if you're an enterprise Windows admin you should definitely learn it and use it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's a good way to move files to another server and not have to add/change drive mappings on individual computers?

If the current drive is M: it's not a big deal to add the new server and map it to N:, but there are so many shortcuts and things in other programs that are expecting the M: drive

I thought you could do links of some sort on oldserver\share\folder1 ---> newserver\folder1

And then once everything is moved over, just switch the mounts on night/weekend.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I was hoping you guys could help me with this issue since we've been going around in circles and I can't seem to find an answer. Is it possible to filter traffic in TMG, requiring a machine certificate, and then after it checks the certificate send it to a CAS server (Exchange 2013)? For all protocols (OWA, OA, EAS)?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good way to move files to another server and not have to add/change drive mappings on individual computers?

If the current drive is M: it's not a big deal to add the new server and map it to N:, but there are so many shortcuts and things in other programs that are expecting the M: drive

I thought you could do links of some sort on oldserver\share\folder1 ---> newserver\folder1

And then once everything is moved over, just switch the mounts on night/weekend.

DFS. set it up as server and not domain, and have it point to the new location. It will show up as a share on the old server.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Earl of Lavender posted:

Quick sanity check, if you'd all be so kind: I'm considering running Server 2012 on a Pentium G3258 machine (at stock clocks), and using it as a Hyper-V host with a maximum of two concurrent guests. Am I literally insane? Would my next step up, an i3-4360, be more appropriate, or perhaps, still underpowered?

is reliability any kind of concern? you should be using xeon's with ecc ram for anything virtualized in my book

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Tell them that turning off TLS 1.0/1.1 is absolute idiocy because you'll break too much client access and not even amazon or anyone else is trying that at this point. Wait until SSL Labs or whoever is telling you to turn it off, right now it has known issues but isn't totally broken. It's going to take years before we hit a reasonable compatibility rate for a TLS 1.2-only site.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=amazon.com&s=72.21.206.6&hideResults=on

The following clients do not support TLS 1.2 https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/clients.html

Android 2.3
Android 4.0-4.3
IE 6 / XP
IE 7 / Vista
IE 8 / XP
IE 8-10 / Win 7
IE Mobile 10 / Win Phone 8.0
Java 6
Java 7
Safari 5.1.9 / OS X 10.6.8
Safari 6.0.4 / OS X 10.8.4

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 9, 2015

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks this exactly the answer I needed so we can turn it back on.

Safe & secure!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Who has been affected by this? Who has interesting Knowledge Transfer stories to tell? Is becoming an Enterprise Windows guy a dangerous thing to do these days.. because you'll probably be replaced with someone that is paid a fraction of what you are?

I don't do "Knowledge Transfer", when given warning that layoffs were happening but "Totally not affecting your department" while under orders to teach our intern "Everything my job entails" I gave that dude the mushroom treatment. Sorry but my now coming up on 12 years of experience in my field is worth money. He'll just have to read my documentation: and I wrote it originally assuming that another network/systems admin would be reading it. Not a desktop tech.

When my boss and I finally got laid off, the kid was the only IT person left in the organization. And he didn't even know active directory enough to do our terminations.

Frantic phonecalls after the layoff were responded to with my independent contractor rates, which were something close to my old monthly salary a day, two day minimum.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't do "Knowledge Transfer", when given warning that layoffs were happening but "Totally not affecting your department" while under orders to teach our intern "Everything my job entails" I gave that dude the mushroom treatment. Sorry but my now coming up on 12 years of experience in my field is worth money. He'll just have to read my documentation: and I wrote it originally assuming that another network/systems admin would be reading it. Not a desktop tech.

When my boss and I finally got laid off, the kid was the only IT person left in the organization. And he didn't even know active directory enough to do our terminations.

Frantic phonecalls after the layoff were responded to with my independent contractor rates, which were something close to my old monthly salary a day, two day minimum.

How many days did they hire you on for post-layoff?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GreenNight posted:

How many days did they hire you on for post-layoff?

Absolutely none, the ridiculous rate is basically a fancy way of saying "gently caress off" without actually saying it. It wasn't a legit offer anyways since I was a government contractor and the waiver process for bringing an independent contractor in for a day would have taken forever. I had already been hired at my new job after a week of being unemployed and set my start date so I could laze around taking a mental break till the end of the month while supping on all that vacation money (I had 3 weeks saved up) and my severance package.

I was offered another job for another gov't contract in the same building two offices down, but turned it down because the fed was getting really volatile with the shutdown threats/budget cuts. So even if they offered to bring me back on I'd have just laughed in their faces.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Maybe someone has an idea how to achieve this here...

I have several users that utilize some design software that constantly updates itself. These updates require UAC elevation to work. Normally I do not allow local admin access anywhere, but had to make an exception for these users.

To that end I created a GPO to add a security group "Workstation Admins" to the builtin\administrators group. Any users I want to give local admin I add them to this security group. The problem is this then allows them to access the admin$ or c$ administrative shares on any domain joined machine! Edit: We utilize the admin shares for pushing software, so cannot disable them.

Is there any way to make it so local administrators cannot access administrative shares? Or prevent them from accessing domain network resources?

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 10, 2015

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

So you want a specific group of users to only have local admin on their individual workstation right? I don't know how off the top of my head but my instinct is you should use powershell to give users in X OU access to the assigned computer. Give it a csv with each user name and their assigned computer.

There's probably a much easier way to do it though.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Another and imho better option may be to create a local user that's admin on each of the machines, and give them those credentials to use when updating. That way they're not logged in as admin constantly and only elevating when needed.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

stevewm posted:

I have several users that utilize some design software that constantly updates itself. These updates require UAC elevation to work. Normally I do not allow local admin access anywhere, but had to make an exception for these users.

To that end I created a GPO to add a security group "Workstation Admins" to the builtin\administrators group. Any users I want to give local admin I add them to this security group. The problem is this then allows them to access the admin$ or c$ administrative shares on any domain joined machine! Edit: We utilize the admin shares for pushing software, so cannot disable them.

Just create a separate OU for these machines and enforce the GPO there. Computer Config -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Restricted Groups. The restricted group you create can be local to the machine, maybe yours was created as part of the domain?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46899

There's a tool for that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I will never understand why this isn't built in to AD.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesus Christ, now I can sync all the various local admin accounts across my domain. Why have I never heard of this tool before.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

stevewm posted:

Is there any way to make it so local administrators cannot access administrative shares? Or prevent them from accessing domain network resources?

Typically the app needs Elevation because it is writing to a specific protected location (in this case probably Program Files). Grant the local users group full control over the application's folder and see if that removes the need for elevation when updating this app.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Jesus Christ, now I can sync all the various local admin accounts across my domain. Why have I never heard of this tool before.

The tool was originally released not long ago (I think May of this year?) but I see they have a new version up from this week. I personally haven't used it yet but I've also mentioned it to higher-ups who should be lighting fires to get this poo poo in place, but unfortunately they aren't. Maybe I just have too much foresight into how not utilizing this may result in a future data breach of PHI?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Zaepho posted:

Typically the app needs Elevation because it is writing to a specific protected location (in this case probably Program Files). Grant the local users group full control over the application's folder and see if that removes the need for elevation when updating this app.

this too

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I use the users and groups GP client extension along with item level targeting to grant a single user local admin on specific workstations. It's a huge pain to set up the first time but once it's done it's pretty good.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

The tool was originally released not long ago (I think May of this year?) but I see they have a new version up from this week. I personally haven't used it yet but I've also mentioned it to higher-ups who should be lighting fires to get this poo poo in place, but unfortunately they aren't. Maybe I just have too much foresight into how not utilizing this may result in a future data breach of PHI?

The tool has been around much longer, but was only available to partners.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zaepho posted:

I wish it was that easy... These installers seem to have a manifest set to elevate, as they prompt immediately before even attempting to access any directories. (according to Process Monitor).

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Number19 posted:

I use the users and groups GP client extension along with item level targeting to grant a single user local admin on specific workstations. It's a huge pain to set up the first time but once it's done it's pretty good.

But does this prevent them from accessing administrative shares?

The GPO I have setup right now ads the user to the local/built-in administrators group, but this also gives them access to administrative shares.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

stevewm posted:

I wish it was that easy... These installers seem to have a manifest set to elevate, as they prompt immediately before even attempting to access any directories. (according to Process Monitor).

you can use a hex editor to modify the manifest in installers or executables to not prompt for admin. I've had to do it to quite a few lovely programs the tool shop guys buy

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

Give the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit a try: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352

I used it on a few major versions of UPS WorldShip as it required UAC once or twice a week when new shipping rates came down. The trick in my case was to check the "RunAsInvoker" box. Once I installed the database on the user's local machine the update process ran in usermode just fine.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I need a way for users to log in as a local admin on workstation. However:

1. I want each user to have to log in separately in other words I don't want their everyday account to be elevated
2. I want each user to only be able to log in as admin on their own laptop and not someone else's laptop

Right now the thought is to create a separate local admin account on each laptop and give the user the password for their laptop's admin account. Is this the best thing to do? If it is, how can I automate it rather than going to each workstation and creating a user and password.

edit: I should use LAPS right?
edit: yes I should

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 13, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Karthe posted:

UPS WorldShip

Uggghhhhh.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I have been seeing this really weird error with file shares today. Windows 7 clients, Windows 2008 domain.

New domain (global) security group, let's call it read_only_users. I am in this group. I've rebooted my PC several times since joining the group.

I make a share on my PC, and for the Share Permissions, only give read access to read_only_users. Let's call the share read_only_share. If I type in \\localhost\read_only_share, I get a sharing permissions error. This happens repeatedly.

If I then add myself explicitly to the share (read-only) and try accessing it, I'm good. Here's the weird part: if I remove myself explicitly (back to only read_only_users in the share permissions), it still works. In fact, I can make new shares the same way, and they all work. I can remove read_only_share completely, then put it back with just read_only_users, and it still works.

It's like once I get into the share with explicit permissions (or Everyone domain object), I can get into all future shares using that group.

If I try to access the share over the network (while in a broken state), it works fine. So I can get to the share with my account from other computers, just not with localhost/my PC name. I've repro'd this exact case on a handful of other PCs with those local users, so it's not my PC or my account.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

madsushi posted:

I have been seeing this really weird error with file shares today. Windows 7 clients, Windows 2008 domain.

New domain (global) security group, let's call it read_only_users. I am in this group. I've rebooted my PC several times since joining the group.

I make a share on my PC, and for the Share Permissions, only give read access to read_only_users. Let's call the share read_only_share. If I type in \\localhost\read_only_share, I get a sharing permissions error. This happens repeatedly.

If I then add myself explicitly to the share (read-only) and try accessing it, I'm good. Here's the weird part: if I remove myself explicitly (back to only read_only_users in the share permissions), it still works. In fact, I can make new shares the same way, and they all work. I can remove read_only_share completely, then put it back with just read_only_users, and it still works.

It's like once I get into the share with explicit permissions (or Everyone domain object), I can get into all future shares using that group.

If I try to access the share over the network (while in a broken state), it works fine. So I can get to the share with my account from other computers, just not with localhost/my PC name. I've repro'd this exact case on a handful of other PCs with those local users, so it's not my PC or my account.

It sounds like you're not updating your kerberos ticket with your security group membership on your computer. Domain security group membership doesn't actually update until you logout and back in on the computer you're accessing the resource from. This has to do with the security group SIDs being baked in to your kerberos ticket which is then passed to any resource to verify you have access to it. When you give yourself rights to an object, your own SID is already a part of your kerberos ticket so it succeeds; same with the "everyone" SID. This goes in to a little more depth about it.

edit; nevermind, saw the part about rebooting after joining the group. Still sounds like a kerberos thing but :shrug:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

hihifellow posted:

It sounds like you're not updating your kerberos ticket with your security group membership on your computer. Domain security group membership doesn't actually update until you logout and back in on the computer you're accessing the resource from. This has to do with the security group SIDs being baked in to your kerberos ticket which is then passed to any resource to verify you have access to it. When you give yourself rights to an object, your own SID is already a part of your kerberos ticket so it succeeds; same with the "everyone" SID. This goes in to a little more depth about it.

edit; nevermind, saw the part about rebooting after joining the group. Still sounds like a kerberos thing but :shrug:

Yeah, that's what it felt like. I also checked to make sure the kerberos ticket sizes weren't too big / too many groups, and that isn't the case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Curious, any goons here work with Azure or Identity? AD DS, CS, FS. Azure AD and whatever flavor of DirSync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm pretty familiar with O365, managed identities, etc. We have a Azure ADP sub, and all that jazz.