Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Left my airplane for 3 days about 2 hours from me because of weather. Rented a car and drove home.

Got back to it today. Really considered not preflighting it but I knew the Internet would be mad so I went ahead and did it.

Yeah welp- this came straight out of my right tank.

That's a god damned fly in my fuel tank. How in the motherfuck did that happen???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Left my airplane for 3 days about 2 hours from me because of weather. Rented a car and drove home.

Got back to it today. Really considered not preflighting it but I knew the Internet would be mad so I went ahead and did it.

Yeah welp- this came straight out of my right tank.

That's a god damned fly in my fuel tank. How in the motherfuck did that happen???

More realistically, how the gently caress did it come out through the sump drain?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Yesterday a spider came out of the nose sump on the 172 I was preflighting. Somehow I don't really think it'd mess up the engine that bad though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And that's why you don't ever not pre-flight. It's possible you'll catch something you didn't notice that happened during the previous flight, even if you haven't left your plane parked for long. The guys I trained with had the policy that, if you parked your plane, you did the walkaround for your next flight, even if it was 30 minutes after your last flight in the same plane. As with the discussion about not strictly having to talk to ATC, or not being legally required to file a flight plan, it was always drilled into my head that, yes, you can get away with it, but one time out of a thousand (or maybe less, I'm not sure), it could literally save your life, prevent an injury, or save a lot of hassle. Is saving 15 minutes really worth it? I'm glad you did the responsible thing and found a potential problem :)

Being a pilot is not a hobby/career for the lazy or the reckless. As the video The Ferret King posted shows, being complacent, lazy or indecisive can have fatal consequences.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Call me crazy but I walked away from a discovery flight because the instructor "just landed a few minutes ago and knew the aircraft was fine". Maybe me being paranoid but it just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Am I late to the CAP is stupid chat?

I watched a high ranking whatever officer chop up a pair of cowl intake plugs while doing a run up, which was funny. Dude didn't even take the big red "TAKE THIS OFF" thing off the plane. It would've hosed the engine if the prop didn't happen to pull it out.

Countless tie down ropes chopped up in front of me.

A constant joke was "hey let's see how far they can taxi before they have oil pressure." Basically going 1800 rpm while starting.

Helped salvage a plane after they put it down in a field from water contamination. They pulled like a gallon of water out of the tank because it didn't have a fuel cap.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tide posted:

Call me crazy but I walked away from a discovery flight because the instructor "just landed a few minutes ago and knew the aircraft was fine". Maybe me being paranoid but it just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

The instructor was wrong, and even if he honestly believed that and had literally just landed from a previous flight, I would still want to go through the pre-flight walkaround with anyone who's on a discovery flight. Not only is it a good idea for safety, but it's something that will be interesting to the person taking the discovery flight, because you get to explain all the various parts of the aircraft as you're doing it anyway. Whenever I took people flying, especially if it was their first time in a small aircraft, I always made sure to take them with me as I was doing the walkaround so I could tell them about the aircraft, and some of the safety procedures that we go through to ensure we have a safe flight.

What a dumb thing to skip.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Weird stuff in your aeroplane chat: I always did my preflights real thorough since on my first flight I discovered a pretty well developed birds nest inside the engine cowling (on a plane that is in almost continuous use).

CAP chat: they would do lazy stuff like not fly a pattern approach and at least twice didn't report on CTAF at my old uncontrolled airport. I mean if you are in an old Sopwith Camel and you don't have a radio or had a failure I understand but to not use your radio because you're some pretend badass is just dumb.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
During my preflight yesterday, I banged my head on the flaps. So, yeah, never again will I do a preflight!

(Of course I'm loving joking about not doing them anymore. )

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bunnyofdoom posted:

During my preflight yesterday, I banged my head on the flaps. So, yeah, never again will I do a preflight!

(Of course I'm loving joking about not doing them anymore. )

Yeah that's normal. Between being a mechanic and a CFI my scalp probably looks like a cantaloupe.

"Pretend badass" is a good term for the CAP. I'm stealing that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wear a hat. Not only does it keep the sun out of your eyes, but when you bump your head, it generally saves you from scrapes and cuts to the scalp.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Wear a hat. Not only does it keep the sun out of your eyes, but when you bump your head, it generally saves you from scrapes and cuts to the scalp.

I couldn't tell you how many times a hat has saved me from drawing blood.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
My trick is to only be 5'5" tall.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

Sadly that's my trick too. Doesn't work

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

And when you make it to the airlines, make sure you wear the captain's hat on your walk-around. That way you don't get yours wet, dirty, dented, etc.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrChips posted:

And when you make it to the airlines, make sure you wear the captain's hat on your walk-around. That way you don't get yours wet, dirty, dented, etc.

I took the approach of working for an airline where most of the pilots don't wear hats (captains who choose the hat and blazer combo here tend to be douchebags for some reason), and that operates airplanes where there's basically nothing close to head height on preflights unless you're well over 6'.

We make up for that by installing a fairly beefy HUD combiner on the captains' side, which is in a perfect location to draw blood if someone tries to get into the seat without paying attention.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter, you catching all this? ;)

(His new airline requires hats)

MrYenko posted:

MrChips posted:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Hilarious. I'll take the hat, the base I want and my 2 year upgrade over an 8 year journey of sadness and moving backwards on the list any day of the week.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

Am I late to the CAP is stupid chat?

I watched a high ranking whatever officer chop up a pair of cowl intake plugs while doing a run up, which was funny. Dude didn't even take the big red "TAKE THIS OFF" thing off the plane. It would've hosed the engine if the prop didn't happen to pull it out.

Countless tie down ropes chopped up in front of me.

A constant joke was "hey let's see how far they can taxi before they have oil pressure." Basically going 1800 rpm while starting.

Helped salvage a plane after they put it down in a field from water contamination. They pulled like a gallon of water out of the tank because it didn't have a fuel cap.

I did cap as a kid and had a good time, got to fly some. But only now thinking back on the flights I realize how many times I probably could've died. But that's GA in general I think.

CAP is just this: a bunch of too fat for the military red necks playing dress up that average a few hours a gear in brand new Cessnas. And their kids.

Poise
Jul 28, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I did cap as a kid and had a good time, got to fly some. But only now thinking back on the flights I realize how many times I probably could've died. But that's GA in general I think.

CAP is just this: a bunch of too fat for the military red necks playing dress up that average a few hours a gear in brand new Cessnas. And their kids.

You are a young flight student, back off.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Poise posted:

You are a young flight student, back off.

Who did CAP, so knows about it.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

My trick is to fly low-wing planes

Poise
Jul 28, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Who did CAP, so knows about it.

You know very little, believe me.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Poise posted:

Well, what do you know about CAP? It sounds like you have another viewpoint to contribute. For what it's worth, speaking as the person who asked the question about CAP I appreciated Bob A Feet's response.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Poise posted:

I do hate this kind of posting.

So you're old or experienced or amazing or something and so much so that you don't even need to explain yourself. bah

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Fellas fellas, let's forget about this CAP bullshit (I was in CAP and it was horrifically stupid) and return to this gem:

An Actual CFI posted:

Left my airplane for 3 days

An Actual CFI posted:

Really considered not preflighting it

:vince:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My instrument sim lab was sacrificed one night when we were volunteered to show CAP kids how to flight plan. They seemed harmless enough until formations began.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sadly that's my trick too. Doesn't work

Somebody else who has to move the seat alllllll the way up on the rails? :hfive:

And if it's a 172, might require a booster? :( :respek: :(

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

My instrument sim lab was sacrificed one night when we were volunteered to show CAP kids how to flight plan. They seemed harmless enough until formations began.

Somebody else who has to move the seat alllllll the way up on the rails? :hfive:

:( :respek: :(

Well not quite a booster, but I do tend to take the flotation pad and stick it behind my back. I can actually reach all of the controls without it, it's just a bit more comfortable.

I have no idea how women deal with it. I've seen a bunch of posters and pamphlets to the effect of "Yes, women can fly too!" Might want to start helping that by making seats they'll fit in...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

:( :respek: :(

Well not quite a booster, but I do tend to take the flotation pad and stick it behind my back. I can actually reach all of the controls without it, it's just a bit more comfortable.

I have no idea how women deal with it. I've seen a bunch of posters and pamphlets to the effect of "Yes, women can fly too!" Might want to start helping that by making seats they'll fit in...

Actually, my "booster" is the flotation pad which hangs in the flight school room and serves a dual purpose. Gets me to where I need to be just fine. My former CFII, though, is shorter than I am (she's 5'1") and requires a formal booster cushion to deliver her excellent brand of instruction.

On a related note, gently caress Diamond. Your products are fun to fly, but you do not make products friendly for the vertically challenged. I've flown two different DA-40s and the adjustable pedals in the first one (leather-seat version) made no difference when I basically had to sit on the forward end of the perma-reclined seat to fly. I had to have a custom cushion made.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I had to do the same thing when I was instructing, but I never needed a booster.

In the Q400, I move my seat as far forward as it'll go, adjust the rudder pedals as far aft (towards the seat) as they'll go, and then set the height about halfway up. Since changing my seat position results in my landings going to hell for a few days until I adjust to the new sight picture, I've learned not to try and experiment with anything but where the rudder pedals are adjusted.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

aunt jemima posted:

Fellas fellas, let's forget about this CAP bullshit (I was in CAP and it was horrifically stupid)

Gonna pick on you because you were the last person mentioning CAP:

Read both articles. You guys realize that CAP is a civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force and conducts a large amount of search and rescue operations right? Also it's volunteer.

Hurr hurr, CAP pilots are stupid, whatever. They're the only ones actually trying to find your stupid old ELT signal though.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

Read both articles. You guys realize that CAP is a civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force and conducts a large amount of search and rescue operations right? Also it's volunteer.

Hurr hurr, CAP pilots are stupid, whatever. They're the only ones actually trying to find your stupid old ELT signal though.

I cannot comment on the stupidity or lack thereof of CAP pilots. I was a cadet for two years and all we did was practice marching and yelling at each other. I did not ever leave the Earth in those two years. It was total bullshit, so I quit.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Systems validation tomorrow. Feeling good. In the E175 they have a little triangle level thing by the compass that helps you set your seat to the Manufacturer-approved sight picture for Cat 2 landings. If your seat is too high/low it can affect how early the captain sees the runway on a cat 2 approach.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

I think it's really dependent on the area and the people involved, much like anything. If you have volunteers who are there because they actually want to help people and do useful things, it will be good. If you have a bunch of morons who are there because they want to play dress-up and pretend they're in the air force, it will be bad.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

I think it's really dependent on the area and the people involved, much like anything. If you have volunteers who are there because they actually want to help people and do useful things, it will be good. If you have a bunch of morons who are there because they want to play dress-up and pretend they're in the air force, it will be bad.

Our local CAP seems to be the second kind, sadly. I'd gladly go volunteer as a spotter for SAR, but I don't want to have to deal with someone's personal fake Air Force fiefdom.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cirrus makes terrible airplabes

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
My CAP chapter was a little of both. There were serious guys in there that were mostly all reservists or commercial pilots that volunteered and took no part in the military instruction stuff. To the point that I never recognized them when I did see them around our "squadron" (local FBO).

The cadet/military instruction stuff was all run by the parents of some of the senior kids. I was lured into the program by the promise of free airplane rides and at the time was interested in getting my pilots license (when I reached the age). I stayed because the summer camps were pretty cool: survival training, volunteer at airshows, and other just general camp things that taught land navigation, etc. We lived near Fort Pickett in Virginia so we almost always had some integration with the Army, usually involving H-60 or H-47 rides which are crack to a kid interested in military aviation.

The cadet program offers some benefits. Reaching certain ranks, for example cadet second lieutenant (the Mitchell award), allows entrance into the air force at enlisted rank E-3 as opposed to E-1. I got the Mitchell award and I personally think it helped me get into college. That's anecdotal of course. A tl;dr description is its after hours NJROTC for nerds and homeschooled kids. Thankfully i was the former and not the latter.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
The CAP at North Las Vegas Airport is in need of pilots. All the members are too old to pass their medical and flight time is plentiful. Also they just took delivery of a brand new Stationair. It's amazing.

The Nellis Wing flies almost daily. They fly drone profiles and have a younger squadron. They also have an amazing 182 with a thermal eye that's remote controlled by the back seat operator. Counter drug missions. Awesome.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Not 100% sure, but I think next week, some of my flights are with a goon as my instructor.

Also, diversions, Circle Circle Line Line Hdg Dist Time, MEF fuel are great, tell someone you'll be late.

That's the whole rhyme right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, diversions, Circle Circle Line Line Hdg Dist Time, MEF fuel are great, tell someone you'll be late.

That's the whole rhyme right?

Mine goes something like this: Don't kill myself. Take a deep breath. When the gently caress am I going to get there, and does anybody else give a poo poo?

• Locked thread