Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Crunkjuice posted:

As a Texas fan, let me tell you this is a real bad way to think about things.

Seconded by an LSU fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

I say death penalty or send them to the FCS where they have a chance at winning something meaningful.

They'd at least get some more shots at App State

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

vyst posted:

They'd at least get some more shots at App State

App State is FBS now

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Alouicious posted:

App State is FBS now

Wouldn't prevent them from scheduling Michigan, every FBS team needs at least one cupcake a season.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Crunkjuice posted:

As a Texas fan, let me tell you this is a real bad way to think about things.

Nah, it's fine. Pretty much any good VT team in the past 15 years is an elite D with enough offensive skill position talent to overcome a bad OC.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It should be noted that with how bad Michigan was last season (embarassingly bad, got beat by Maryland bad, got shutout by Notre Dame bad, got BEAT BY RUTGERS bad), App State was lose to Michigan bad AND lose to Liberty bad.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It should be noted that with how bad Michigan was last season (embarassingly bad, got beat by Maryland bad, got shutout by Notre Dame bad, got BEAT BY RUTGERS bad), App State was lose to Michigan bad AND lose to Liberty bad.

Every great program has an occasional loss to an embarrassing one.

I don't know how to explain the Liberty loss though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Uga IX AKA Russ is stepping down this fall (he's 11) to be replaced by his grandson, named Que.

I'm kind of happy they're at least trying to dilute the bloodline.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Season-long rewatch on Baylor's SB Nation blog hit Texas today. Tyrone Swoopes bobbling and losing a simple snap under center at Baylor's goal line remains one of the funniest exchanges I have ever seen in a football game. Poor Charlie Strong's reaction was solid goddamn gold.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
its Baylor CHampionship time hope everyone is ready, itll definiely happen and not be another time when baylor misses out on the shrinking window of opportunity before they fall back into sucking forever

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
cotton bowl bitch

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Meh. I'm over it. GG.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Season-long rewatch on Baylor's SB Nation blog hit Texas today. Tyrone Swoopes bobbling and losing a simple snap under center at Baylor's goal line remains one of the funniest exchanges I have ever seen in a football game. Poor Charlie Strong's reaction was solid goddamn gold.

Yeah that was awful. With even marginally better offensive line play and a few less turnovers I can see Texas winning 8 games instead of 6. Just a semi-competent line will do wonders for J Gray and the rest of the backfield. I'm sure the defense will be pretty nasty like Charlie Strong defenses most years.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Uga IX AKA Russ is stepping down this fall (he's 11) to be replaced by his grandson, named Que.

I'm kind of happy they're at least trying to dilute the bloodline.

Even though it wasn't an official blackout game, the game that the stands were all black due to the death of one of the Ugas was pretty rad. I agree about diluting the bloodline, it shouldn't look like this (substitute any male name with an Uga I - IX):

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Even though it wasn't an official blackout game, the game that the stands were all black due to the death of one of the Ugas was pretty rad. I agree about diluting the bloodline, it shouldn't look like this (substitute any male name with an Uga I - IX):

Then we played like poo poo in the 2nd half and lost to Kentucky.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How big a deal is the Manning Academy? Because someone tweeted out that soon-to-be starting Baylor QB Seth Russell won some Air-It-Out competition there, and I'd already heard that Trevone Boykin, Trevor Knight, Mason Rudolph were all there from the Big 12. If Russell beat out all three of those guys in something that matters, that would be a pretty promising sign, I'm just not sure whether or not it actually matters or if it's all offseason fluff.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 12, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

How big a deal is the Manning Academy?

Two years ago Michigan fans were obnoxiously pumped that Devin Gardner dominated it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Two years ago Michigan fans were obnoxiously pumped that Devin Gardner dominated it.

So not quite the gold standard for prediction, then. I figured. Still, better than hearing about Russell getting his rear end kicked, I suppose.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spiritus Nox posted:

So not quite the gold standard for prediction, then. I figured. Still, better than hearing about his rear end getting kicked, I suppose.

Eh, that doesn't prove much. Elite 11 is still supposed to be a big deal even if a fair amount of guys who go end up washing out.

I have no idea about the Manning Academy though.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

How big a deal is the Manning Academy? Because someone tweeted out that soon-to-be starting Baylor QB won some Air-It-Out competition there, and I'd already heard that Trevone Boykin, Trevor Knight, Mason Rudolph were all there from the Big 12. If Russell beat out all three of those guys in something that matters, that would be a pretty promising sign, I'm just not sure whether or not it actually matters or if it's all offseason fluff.

I have a cousin there and he sent me a bunch of good pictures. The camp goes through Monday but I'll put together a good post after.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

The dark secret is that everyone's family tree looks like this.

Who do you think your ancestors were marrying when we were all mud farmers living in tiny villages!? FIRST. COUSINS.

Sometimes we lucked out when a nobleman rode through and raped a baby into someone and got some fresh genes in the system. History is terrifying.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I have a cousin there and he sent me a bunch of good pictures. The camp goes through Monday but I'll put together a good post after.

Really? Spectating or participating?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

The dark secret is that everyone's family tree looks like this.

Who do you think your ancestors were marrying when we were all mud farmers living in tiny villages!? FIRST. COUSINS.

Sometimes we lucked out when a nobleman rode through and raped a baby into someone and got some fresh genes in the system. History is terrifying.

Genetically, first cousins are ok. When you do it frequently and then involve uncles and aunts, it becomes unstable.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AP is reporting that Jimbo banned any and all FSU players from going to bars. Because bars are what causes domestic violence.

E: And the DA is charging Cook with bettery

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 12, 2015

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

AP is reporting that Jimbo banned any and all FSU players from going to bars.
This'll turn out like all those towns that are dry but with weird loopholes, and all the FSU players will just form a Gentleman's Evening Literary Salon that happens to afford the courtesy of intoxicating refreshments to card-carrying members.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Really? Spectating or participating?

Participating. He's a rising high school sophomore.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Participating. He's a rising high school sophomore.

But is he clutch?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Here he is with the second most important QB, Josh Dobbs

I think he's done some workouts with guys from Duke, NC State, USCWest, Penn State and tomorrow he's scheduled to work with Dobbs and Dak Prescott and some guy from a catholic school in Texas.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If he turns out to be really good tell him to be a man and lead northwestern to greatness

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The Manning Passing Academy is a bunch of high school quarterbacks (and a few junior high QB's too) throwing to same-age WR's/RB's under the tutelage of the Mannings as well as a "staff" of college QB's.

The college guys who "attend" don't spend a lot of time on developing their own skills so much as they spend time assisting younger kids with theirs.

I know this because I was on-hand for 4 separate academies since it was held on the campus of my undergrad university for the longest time & was open to the public; I'd blow off classes/work when it was underway and just watch all day & evening. I even ate, at various times, in the same cafeteria as the attendees and spoke to them multiple times.

Peyton Manning also held the door open for me at work (public radio station on campus property) because I had my hands full of promo materials from different labels. He was very tall.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 12, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The Manning Passing Academy is a bunch of high school quarterbacks (and a few junior high QB's too) throwing to same-age WR's/RB's under the tutelage of the Mannings as well as a "staff" of college QB's.

The college guys who "attend" don't spend a lot of time on developing their own skills so much as they spend time assisting younger kids with theirs.

I know this because I was on-hand for 4 separate academies since it was held on the campus of my undergrad university for the longest time & was open to the public; I'd blow off classes/work when it was underway.

Any idea what that "air it out" competition Russell apparently won is all about? I saw one journalist tweeting that Russell "looked very impressive tonight," but I've no idea what he looked so impressive doing. Throwing to high school receivers? Some generic "throw a pass through this tire 10/20/40 yards down field" sort of poo poo? Because that sounds so lame as to not even bear mentioning.

...God. The things the offseason has reduced me to.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 12, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
It's probably throw it as far as you can downfield but it has to stay within the hashes/rectangle made of cones

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

drat. That is lame.

...We're almost halfway through July, folks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You should have the option of kick for one, two point conversion, or three points if you throw a ball from the 50 into the Dr Pepper can at the back of the endzone.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The Air-it-out competition is a combine-style throwing drill. This year there are ~40 college QBs attending.

The final part of the competition is a medium/long range accuracy thing. Dobbs was 0/3 on that part, but the QBs for Stanford, Baylor, Okie State, whatever the Catholic Texas school is, Shepard College, Indiana, and Pittsburg went 3/3. Then they go to a sudden death throw-off type deal, and Stanford, catholic dude, Baylor, and Indiana made it through the first round.

Peyton is in navy blue shorts and Eli is in light blue.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

AP is reporting that Jimbo banned any and all FSU players from going to bars. Because bars are what causes domestic violence.

Jimbo Justice™

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

LeeMajors posted:

Everything else was DUI, possession of alcohol or minor marijuana possession. Or the charges were dropped.

equating DUI with MIP or weed lol.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

equating DUI with MIP or weed lol.

It's about as rampant in college towns.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone sneaks a little before he's 21, smokes a little weed, beats the poo poo out of women, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Jimbo's bar-ban is a bad thing; he'd probably get more out of having the team engage in some sort of DV outreach or at least a few classes.

Where taking that type of stand might hurt him is in recruiting though, assuming the ban continues from one season to the next.

• Locked thread