Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn't Baker do Wednesday Comics Hawkman in a similar style. At least he fought dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

He's half human.

And he's also a mutant, which explains his flight and his greater-than-Atlantean strength. The guy's one of a kind in a lot of ways.

Remember that time Venom ripped off his little wing ankles and Namor was like "I can't believe this pathetic tooth monster thing is the first one to do this poo poo to me." and just kept flying without em? Yeah.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think that looks neat :)

Speaking of bad backgrounds,
One of the lest few UXMs.

Hopefully there's a better editor on the Doctor Strange comic.

The only acceptable use of photo backgrounds in comics is crazy Kirby photo collages.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Backgrounds are one thing but the thought of a major company paying someone for making GBS threads out stuff in poser and then actually publishing it is just absurd

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Opopanax posted:

Backgrounds are one thing but the thought of a major company paying someone for making GBS threads out stuff in poser and then actually publishing it is just absurd

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Oh, hi U.S. War Machine 2.0!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

prefect posted:

His dad was a honky.

I laughed pretty hard when I learned that Namor had a last name and that it was McKenzie.

Namor McKenzie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That second panel needs to be an avatar.

redbackground posted:

U.S. War Machine 1.0 used Poser, also, but it was black and white, so it wasn't as egregious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I laughed pretty hard when I learned that Namor had a last name and that it was McKenzie.

Namor McKenzie.

He changed it. He's now Namor T. Submariner.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Phylodox posted:

Namor McKenzie.

He hates the dry-landers because they all call him Spuds after learning that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

redbackground posted:

Paying Chuck Austen is also absurd

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

redbackground posted:

I honestly think the poser stuff looks better without the lovely cartoon filter thrown over it. It's like they decided to smear Vaseline over the page to pretend they are still drawing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Die Laughing posted:

Didn't Baker do Wednesday Comics Hawkman in a similar style. At least he fought dinosaurs.

I recall real backgrounds and no computer effects on that one.

That was also pretty much the only Hawkman story worth a drat in my lifetime.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is House of M worth reading?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unmature posted:

Sure. It's not very long and iirc pretty light reading. I assume it's on Unlimited.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Fallen Rib

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I recall real backgrounds and no computer effects on that one.

That was also pretty much the only Hawkman story worth a drat in my lifetime.

That's only because DC has never collected Ostrander's Hawkworld series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Convergence mini was nice.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Poser comics are so bad. So bad!!! The fact Kyle Baker of all people went down that path makes me so disappointed and genuinely confused. I had no idea.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It's mostly the laziness that gets me. I understand why an artist would do it: even in the best of circumstances you won't make poo poo as a comics artist. And I owe why an editor would go along with such half assed work: a good chunk of comics fandom don't care about art beyond looking "realistic" and if you're tracing poser models how can you miss a deadline? But even in the hands of someone who really, really, really knows what's up (Kyle Baker) it always looks utterly stiff and lifeless. Without twisting the composition at least a little it's almost impossible to create a line of action. It's much harder to guide the eye along the page. And the rigging on all of the models is questionable at best and a nightmare at worst. Even stick figures are more respectable than poser.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

I didn't know Xavier Renegade Angel had a crossover episode with Iron Man!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
okay this is a long shot.

Years ago when livejournal was a thing there was one called scans_daily that got so popular that Warren Ellis and Gail Simone became regular contributors.

Warren Ellis in particular posted a comic that was not modern, had fairly normal looking art, bur had actions and dialog that were completely insane, main character was wandering around babbling about some kind of drug influenced philosophy, waving his hands around to mold things out of "air jelly", driving a car off a cliff screaming "Do you see what I see?"

Of course the whole blog was deleted and googling doesn't help when I can't remember much besides Warren Ellis posting it, but does anyone know what I could possibly be talking about.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Could it have been Stardust the Super-Wizard by Fletcher Hanks? That was batshit insane, but I'm not sure if it was the right kind of batshit insane.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Unmature posted:

I re-read it recently and it's ok but then I'm really into alternate reality nonsense.

The Doom/Fantastic Four mini is great fun at the very least.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Could it have been Stardust the Super-Wizard by Fletcher Hanks? That was batshit insane, but I'm not sure if it was the right kind of batshit insane.

No it wasn't Stardust. The setting did not have superheros or magic. It mostly took place in a forested area.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Acne Rain posted:

okay this is a long shot.

Years ago when livejournal was a thing there was one called scans_daily that got so popular that Warren Ellis and Gail Simone became regular contributors.

Warren Ellis in particular posted a comic that was not modern, had fairly normal looking art, bur had actions and dialog that were completely insane, main character was wandering around babbling about some kind of drug influenced philosophy, waving his hands around to mold things out of "air jelly", driving a car off a cliff screaming "Do you see what I see?"

Of course the whole blog was deleted and googling doesn't help when I can't remember much besides Warren Ellis posting it, but does anyone know what I could possibly be talking about.

Was it Shade: The Changing Man? I can't remember the exact scene you're describing but it fits the bill for all the individual elements.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

COMPUTEEEER GRAPHIIIICS

Thank god we're over that and no one ever used a computer ever again.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Cyphoderus posted:

Was it Shade: The Changing Man? I can't remember the exact scene you're describing but it fits the bill for all the individual elements.

again no, I would've remembered if it was that.

Nothing was weird about the visuals.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I'm sure this has probably been asked and answered but what in the gently caress happened to Peter Parker & Mary-Jane's kid that just disappeared in the 90's.
I only found out about it due to Spider-Girl years ago and as I understand it Mary-Jane & Peter have a kid, Osbourne has her kidnapped then....? Nobody ever gives a poo poo about it again?

Like I said I never read the original issues and only know about it due to Spider-Girl where she turned up fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I'm sure this has probably been asked and answered but what in the gently caress happened to Peter Parker & Mary-Jane's kid that just disappeared in the 90's.
I only found out about it due to Spider-Girl years ago and as I understand it Mary-Jane & Peter have a kid, Osbourne has her kidnapped then....? Nobody ever gives a poo poo about it again?

Like I said I never read the original issues and only know about it due to Spider-Girl where she turned up fine.

A clusterfuck caused by writers not agreeing with each other about anything happened to her.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

A clusterfuck caused by writers not agreeing with each other about anything happened to her.

If I remember correctly 90's Spiderman was the biggest clusterfuck to ever happen in comics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/02/14/abandoned-love-whatever-happened-to-peter-and-mary-janes-baby/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

If I remember correctly 90's Spiderman was the biggest clusterfuck to ever happen in comics.

Come on you are acting like there is a 35 part series on what went wrong.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Wait so they re-conned it so that Norman just had Mary Jane poisoned and that killed her child or he had the kid taken but it died? or it might still be out there?
I can't even tell what might the truth due to the muddled storyline.

You'd think any of those would be enough to have Parker think gently caress it and just kill Osborne.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She's at the same place Batman's kid went for like twenty five years. Just wait for Morrison to pitch a Spider-Man & Daughter story.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
She would have gotten Mephisto-magicked out of existence along with the marriage, presumably?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

She would have gotten Mephisto-magicked out of existence along with the marriage, presumably?

There was mention of a daughter when they made the deal but it was implied to be one not yet born.

Speaking of that event, it completely killed my interest in Spider-Man so I never read an issue after it but did they ever explain why he went back to the mechanical webshooters?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Yup. Mephisto even mentions that the baby would've become the greatest superhero in history before casting his magic divorce spell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

There was mention of a daughter when they made the deal but it was implied to be one not yet born.

Speaking of that event, it completely killed my interest in Spider-Man so I never read an issue after it but did they ever explain why he went back to the mechanical webshooters?

I was hoping it was going to be "because everyone agreed that 'The Other' was effing stupid and we'll never speak of Morlun and Spider-Totems again" but then the whole of Spider-verse revolved around him and :ughh:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Fallen Rib

ecavalli posted:

Yup. Mephisto even mentions that the baby would've become the greatest superhero in history before casting his magic divorce spell.

All so an 90 year old women can continue living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

All so an 90 year old women can continue living.
The wheatcakes recipe dies with her, you fool!