Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JFC posted:

Found an easter egg. I went back through the GCPD HQ after getting 100% and at the Arkham Knight Militia cells there is a guy trying to goad Batman. I you go up to the bars and push the attack button you grab him by the back of the head and slam his face into the bars. He then falls on his back, out cold.

You can do that again later and Batman doesn't hit him and he still cowers back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JFC posted:

Found an easter egg. I went back through the GCPD HQ after getting 100% and at the Arkham Knight Militia cells there is a guy trying to goad Batman. I you go up to the bars and push the attack button you grab him by the back of the head and slam his face into the bars. He then falls on his back, out cold.

Hes the dude in the first APC you take down at the start of the game.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

mrfishstick posted:

A new update about the PC version: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/July-10-Update-on-PC-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/605229#U605229

Nothing really mentioned at all outside of the usual "we're sorry it's so broken" line. The Batgirl DLC is confirmed delayed for an indefinite time in PC as well.

Some hints about more details on when the next patch is to be possibly covered next week but they're careful to promise nothing.

Translation: we had a look under the hood and holy poo poo it was literally on fire in places, we think that's out but the damage may take some tine to repair, and those new rims and seats will have to wait. We will sort out the bill later but since we didn't notice the fire for 6 months my manager will sort something out (maybe). :iiaca:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can only imagine the PC debugging process involves a single lone intern staring at the screen and crying.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I can only imagine the PC debugging process involves a single lone intern staring at the screen and crying.

But Jason Todd was so good as a plot twist that must have been protected :cry:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ayn rand hand job posted:

like most things Morrison, it was in the comics originally

this was pre-Crisis Jason "I watched my acrobat parents get murdered" Todd, not post-Crisis Jason "I'm stealing the wheels off the Batmobile" Todd.

edit: ^ :argh:

I feel like I read somewhere that Jason hated the black hair deal, because it always felt like Batman was just trying to mold him into Dick. I guess that must have been post-Crisis. I can never keep which parts of each character's personality and backstory is canon and which isn't with DC. And I actually really like DC comics.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Aquasnake posted:

The only thing I can think of at this point is its locked behind all achievements. Anyone got them all to disprove?

I have a 200% save on the PC with all non-DLC achievements and that slot is still locked.

I'm one of the suckers that never refunded my Season Pass since my game did work alright. I understand the PC port is really broken, but to say less than a week before the first DLC is set to be released, "Oh, uh, yeah that Season Pass you bought isn't actually going to get you the stuff promised on time" is pretty lovely and downright false advertising.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that Jason hated the black hair deal, because it always felt like Batman was just trying to mold him into Dick. I guess that must have been post-Crisis. I can never keep which parts of each character's personality and backstory is canon and which isn't with DC. And I actually really like DC comics.

That bit of it was Morrison. I want to say it was when Jason was doing his public super hero kick as the Red Hood or .maybe some part of Batman RIP.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

ayn rand hand job posted:

That bit of it was Morrison. I want to say it was when Jason was doing his public super hero kick as the Red Hood or .maybe some part of Batman RIP.

It was the red hood arc of Batman and Robin where Dick Grayson is Batman and Jason wants to humiliate him and take him out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ugggghh not getting the DLC is a huge letdown.

Send me a PS4 copy with season pass code, thanks in advance WBgames.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

l33t b4c0n posted:

I have a 200% save on the PC with all non-DLC achievements and that slot is still locked.

I'm one of the suckers that never refunded my Season Pass since my game did work alright. I understand the PC port is really broken, but to say less than a week before the first DLC is set to be released, "Oh, uh, yeah that Season Pass you bought isn't actually going to get you the stuff promised on time" is pretty lovely and downright false advertising.

Same thing for those of us with the premium version. I mean the game worked nearly perfect for me and I got my money's worth (40% gmg discount) for the number of hours I've put into just doing the normal mode, but it would be nice to get the DLC in a timely fashion because it's part of the package you know.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I really want to play the previous 3 games now, but as an HD remake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chasiubao posted:

I really want to play the previous 3 games now, but as an HD remake.

The previous games are already in HD. :)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahahaha, if you keep loving up the Panessa Studio password lock puzzle Batman gets angry and just smashes through it. :allears:

Oh, and if you visit Barbara before the Arkham Knight's HQ the Joker will be sat in her wheelchair taking the piss out of you, and Batman will comment on how Gordon must have retrieved her body. I'm not sure if these are NG+ easter eggs or what, but there's a fair bit of detail in the game.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Asylum has only just started to show its age graphically. Arkham City probably won't start to look genuinely aged for a very long time.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

The previous games are already in HD. :)

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, Asylum has only just started to show its age graphically. Arkham City probably won't start to look genuinely aged for a very long time.

On PC, I'd agree. On console, it just looks muddy, compared to Arkham Knight.

Also because I prefer the Bonetroller over the 360 controller (I'm a monster :smith: )

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Now we've all got beefy as gently caress PCs, you should go back and play Asylum with all the PhysX poo poo turned on.

7 years on it still looks great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every single part inside my computer was made after Asylum's release and all of the relevant parts are Nvidia and I still drop to like 25 fps when I turn on physX in that game. PhysX is just so universally awfully optimized, it's a shame because it looks great.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
But the real question is if the physx in Knight are any better optimized

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CJacobs posted:

Every single part inside my computer was made after Asylum's release and all of the relevant parts are Nvidia and I still drop to like 25 fps when I turn on physX in that game. PhysX is just so universally awfully optimized, it's a shame because it looks great.

My hypothesis on physX stuff is that you're supposed to have two graphics cards. One for graphics and one for physX.

I've done nothing to test or research my hypothesis.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I honestly think the PhysX effects in Asylum and City are visually better than what was offered in Knight.

If you didn't have them on when you first played, and have upgraded since, you should go back and give them a shot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Mogomra posted:

My hypothesis on physX stuff is that you're supposed to have two graphics cards. One for graphics and one for physX.

I've done nothing to test or research my hypothesis.

Nah it's just meant to work on the higher end cards that can handle both workloads. You can have a separate physx card but it's generally pointless and less stuff seems to be coming out for physx.

Also I have a 780 and the only gameworks poo poo that doesn't work is the smoke, which I think is jut currently hosed.

Also I just played through City again and the recommendation in game for "high" physx is a 9800 gt so whoever's card can't handle that today needs to get their poo poo together.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 11, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is Scarecrow in the GCPD? Every villain I defeated so far is in the lockup. I don't remember seeing them bring him in but I wonder where he went.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

is Scarecrow in the GCPD? Every villain I defeated so far is in the lockup. I don't remember seeing them bring him in but I wonder where he went.

He's there, rocking back and forth and generally having a bad time. You can't talk to him though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

poptart_fairy posted:

Ahahaha, if you keep loving up the Panessa Studio password lock puzzle Batman gets angry and just smashes through it. :allears:

Oh, and if you visit Barbara before the Arkham Knight's HQ the Joker will be sat in her wheelchair taking the piss out of you, and Batman will comment on how Gordon must have retrieved her body. I'm not sure if these are NG+ easter eggs or what, but there's a fair bit of detail in the game.

I love that we're still finding Easter eggs. You're referring to the Johnny Charisma segment, right? Does Robin comment on it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm playing on hard, and I have found it pretty easy up until now where I'm stuck on the part after Arkham Knight shoots batman where a bunch of sword guys and a couple of the big dudes attack him. Is there something I can do to make this easier or do I just need to get good? I've died like 15 times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

I love that we're still finding Easter eggs. You're referring to the Johnny Charisma segment, right? Does Robin comment on it?

I am, and he doesn't unfortunately. A missed opportunity. :saddowns:

NESguerilla posted:

I'm playing on hard, and I have found it pretty easy up until now where I'm stuck on the part after Arkham Knight shoots batman where a bunch of sword guys and a couple of the big dudes attack him. Is there something I can do to make this easier or do I just need to get good? I've died like 15 times.

Get good, unfortunately. The sword guys are tricky without counter prompts as it's difficult to tell if they're just doing regular attacks or preparing for a combo. Big dudes will be beaten a single use of the environmental takedowns though (two normal takedowns will take them out of a fight also) so if you can dodge around and try to lure them in range of one - it's a big, big amount of pressure off you in a fight when they're not stomping around. Although in NG+ you can often get three or four in a single fight. :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dogen posted:

Also I just played through City again and the recommendation in game for "high" physx is a 9800 gt so whoever's card can't handle that today needs to get their poo poo together.

Yeah I think Arkham Knight's PC version is giving people brown-colored glasses for the first few games because Asylum and City had great PC ports. I ran Asylum on all max settings at 60fps with a 9800gtx and City on max 60fps with a 560ti. Well, for City I turned off the DX11 stuff, but that stuff is universally hosed considering I replayed it before Knight came out with my current 770 and it still chugged.

Origins, as much as I poo poo talk that game, didn't have a particularly bad PC port outside of its bugginess either, it's pretty well optimized unlike Knight. It's also maybe the best looking game on my PC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I think Arkham Knight's PC version is giving people brown-colored glasses for the first few games because Asylum and City had great PC ports. I ran Asylum on all max settings at 60fps with a 9800gtx and City on max 60fps with a 560ti. Well, for City I turned off the DX11 stuff, but that stuff is universally hosed considering I replayed it before Knight came out with my current 770 and it still chugged.

Origins, as much as I poo poo talk that game, didn't have a particularly bad PC port outside of its bugginess either, it's pretty well optimized unlike Knight. It's also maybe the best looking game on my PC.

Having played it today, I can safely say I was not just making poo poo up for no reason in my post about physX. It's not a problem with Arkham Asylum, it's a problem with proprietary poo poo like physX. With physX off I never dip below the 60 fps cap in either Asylum or City.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know what sort of time the Batgirl DLC will be released on Tuesday?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Having played it today, I can safely say I was not just making poo poo up for no reason in my post about physX. It's not a problem with Arkham Asylum, it's a problem with proprietary poo poo like physX. With physX off I never dip below the 60 fps cap in either Asylum or City.

I would hope not, considering they're six/four years old.

When I say "Max settings," I'm including PhysX. What's your card?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I got up to 460 hits on the Azreal AR challenge and it ended due to a timer running out. That rather defeats the purpose of a challenge that ends when you get hit :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, that's the one and only challenge I've maxed out rivalry points with, haha.

I really miss the challenge system of City and Origins now, gotta admit. The AR system is decent but it feels like a big step down in terms of "load up and punch dudes for twenty minutes".

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, that's the one and only challenge I've maxed out rivalry points with, haha.

I really miss the challenge system of City and Origins now, gotta admit. The AR system is decent but it feels like a big step down in terms of "load up and punch dudes for twenty minutes".

This is my one big gripe with the game, I miss the challenge mode. Especially considering the new combat system!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I mean, that sounds like a gpu problem...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

The big problem with the Knight system is this:

The original games had a Wave-based system. Every wave had a specific number of enemies. This lead to an interesting balancing act. You could go for long combos to increase your multiplier but you also wanted to string together as much variation as you could for bonus points. Since there was a limited number of enemies, the variation points were significant and so you had to try to keep stringing things together and getting hard-to-get moves and trying to balance high-point moves with low-damage. There were flaws here but it made sense. Each wave had its own independent scoring system so you could keep it going.

Here? Nope. Variations are now only barely worth going for since you're only graded at the end and while they add to your score it's a much smaller amount. There's no "well, I screwed up this round I'll do better next round." It's only perfect freeflow or nothing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just finished the game save for about 100 Riddler trophies. I'll grab those later.

Gotta say it was a good game that could have been outstanding if they hadn't fluffed it out so much. Cut Riddlers from 250 to 100 or so and cut the mines, towers, apcs and stuff down about 80% and all of a sudden you have the exact same game only about 10 hours shorter. Probably more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Here? Nope. Variations are now only barely worth going for since you're only graded at the end and while they add to your score it's a much smaller amount. There's no "well, I screwed up this round I'll do better next round." It's only perfect freeflow or nothing.
That's how I played the challenge rooms in City/Origins.

Ignore variants, because all the combat gadgets are stupid, basically only do beat downs and counters, break every weapon in the room, perfect freeflow, win games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ImpAtom posted:

The big problem with the Knight system is this:

The original games had a Wave-based system. Every wave had a specific number of enemies. This lead to an interesting balancing act. You could go for long combos to increase your multiplier but you also wanted to string together as much variation as you could for bonus points. Since there was a limited number of enemies, the variation points were significant and so you had to try to keep stringing things together and getting hard-to-get moves and trying to balance high-point moves with low-damage. There were flaws here but it made sense. Each wave had its own independent scoring system so you could keep it going.

Yeah, a huge chunk of my hours in the arkham games was trying to top my own score and it was loving great.

Why did they gently caress this up? Why have so little challenges? Why lock it behind a forty dollar season pass godamnit gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

That's how I played the challenge rooms in City/Origins.

Ignore variants, because all the combat gadgets are stupid, basically only do beat downs and counters, break every weapon in the room, perfect freeflow, win games.

Then you missed out on both a lot of free points and a lot of the cool parts of the combat system.

• Locked thread