Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

duckfarts posted:

source

yo

quotes

I've seen a post by this chap in E/N - it's all like this. So he's either hosed in the head, or it's a really persistent gimmick. Reminds me a bit of the timecube guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, so it's not a puzzle that everyone has figured out a long time before me? :downs: :colbert:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Otterman, it's worth noting that all the things you are doing to make the cat leave you alone are actually friendly gestures to cats. They do not like direct eye contact, or big gestures, so avoiding these things is telling the cat you like him. It's also worth noting that everything the cat is doing to you is also meant as a friendly gesture.

A toy may be sufficient, I hope it works.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Please do not be hostile; I am not a Miscreant; I am a Person who is concerned about the Persistent Attentions of a Cat; I can tolerate the presence of the Cat but I am not comfortable with it; I do not want this Friendship to be compromised due to the Persistent Attentions of a Cat that will not leave me alone despite my repeated attempts to discourage its Approaches; however I do not want to antagonise the Cat; I do not want to harm it or to provoke a Violent Attack; I want a civil reconciliation; and a polite relationship.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huntersoninski posted:

Otterman, it's worth noting that all the things you are doing to make the cat leave you alone are actually friendly gestures to cats. They do not like direct eye contact, or big gestures, so avoiding these things is telling the cat you like him. It's also worth noting that everything the cat is doing to you is also meant as a friendly gesture.

A toy may be sufficient, I hope it works.
I did not know this Fact; I have attempted to discourage the Cat through Challenging Behaviours; e.g. [for example] not looking at the Cat; not speaking to the Cat; spreading Substances; not responding to the Cat's Vocalisations (Meows); becoming a Ball; covering my Face; hiding from the Cat; making Sounds; Challenging Behaviours are repellent to Humans and cause social damage; I did not know that they are Desirable for a Cat and foster Attraction. I will no longer try to repel the Cat in this way; instead I will research a Toy. Thank You for your kind assistance.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Angrymog posted:

I've seen a post by this chap in E/N - it's all like this. So he's either hosed in the head, or it's a really persistent gimmick. Reminds me a bit of the timecube guy.

hoooly poo poo, a fresh one

Ok, helpful advice: you could try looking for a repellent spray you can spray on your shoes. Don't get the one that looks like it came out of the seventies and doubles as weed killer; that thing is also good for repelling people. Look for one that's more citrus or peppermint scented; it should be pleasant enough while helping keep the cat's advances at bay without cruelty.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I feel like I'm reading a comic book.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Regarding the claw/declaw debate:

When I was younger, all of my cats were declawed. Parent's choice, not mine. I remember kittens comming back home without their claws on the first day. As soon as the drugs would be wearing off, the cats would be up and about doing their things and seemed none the wizer. I do not believe in this idea that it is cruel, inhumane and whatnot. If done early enough in their life, I am 100% sure they don't care. They have to be young tho. Declawing a cat that is older is most likely to end up hurting him due to all the weight on their paws while it heals.

That being said, both my current cats have all of their claws because I tend to let them go outside. I want them to be able to fend off any attackers outside. The lovely thing about it, is they are destroying to much of my furniture. They have ample place to do their claws, scratpost, cartboard box, stuff hanging from doors. But when we're not home, they go nuts for furniture.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Holy crap. I was already under the weather, then I came into the petstore next door and it's completely empty. There's not just no people -- furniture and the thin partitions they had for several other shops are all gone. And we had gotten to be almost friends with the shopkeepers, so I was feeling kind of betrayed, and also I had no idea where my cat's next meal would be coming from. Fortunately I remembered about another petstore that opened recently almost next door but in the opposite direction, where I found out that there's just renovation going on at the old place. :rolleyes:

I was also told that you're not supposed to change food brands because due to differences in preparation your cat is going to die. Confirm/deny? Also, if you're going to change brands, it's better to select one that is made nearest geographically to the old brand.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well I mean it can upset a cat's stomach if you switch food too quickly. I've never heard the geography thing. Just introduce the new food slowly over a week or so, adding a bit to its current food and changing the ratio gradually.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Also cats are notorious for just outright refusing food that isn't their usual.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I'm not actually changing the brand since I managed to locate the old one in the new store somehow. But my cat has been pretty flexible with respect to food, at least if you only take dry into account.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Angrymog posted:

Also cats are notorious for just outright refusing food that isn't their usual.

They get a lot less picky after a couple days without any other choices, though. I've been through that routine many times.

Changing brands or formulations can upset their digestion for a bit, but generally not more than a couple days. It's not really a problem if you don't make a habit of it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Deteriorata posted:

They get a lot less picky after a couple days without any other choices, though. I've been through that routine many times.
This is true.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
If there are any flat kitty owners in this thread, what do you use to clean their faces? I use the moisturized tissues for babies, but a friend of mine argued that they can be harmful to the cat. Or do you prefer a Q-tip? Shtoopsee doesn't like having her face cleaned but it has to be done :v:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Are age designations on food in fact, er, incorrect? The different shopkeeper also told me that I should continue getting the 1-6 variety, even though my cat is officially 7, because cats now live for 20 years, so the cat year has to be recalibrated, or something.

Finally for today, my cat's just eaten a treat together with the string which was tied onto it. The string is pretty harmless, I think -- it's thick and soft, plus she's only eaten a small bit -- but I was quite surprised to find the end of the string missing. For some reason I didn't think about my cat as one for inedible things.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
As far as I know age on food only matters for kittens and maybe seniors. As for string, how long was it? Eating string can actually be pretty dangerous for cats. Keep an eye on him and if you notice any of behavior take him to the vet right away (if it's long enough to tangle). Keep string from your cat, it is a real threat to their health.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Therion posted:

If there are any flat kitty owners in this thread, what do you use to clean their faces? I use the moisturized tissues for babies, but a friend of mine argued that they can be harmful to the cat. Or do you prefer a Q-tip? Shtoopsee doesn't like having her face cleaned but it has to be done :v:

Not a flat kitty, but when one of mine kept getting a very runny nose, I just used tissue dampened with warm water. No chemicals, no sticklike objects near the sensitive nose and eyes of a potentially panicky cat.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am perplexed by the Cat and its Behaviours; it rubs its Muzzle Region against my lower leg [Knee to Ankle]; it walks in such a way that its Tail coils around my Limb before its departure; it buries its Excrements; it rolls on the Floor thus exposing its Stomach; it makes a variety of Sounds; chief amongst them a Round Sound ("Mow"); a Shrill Sound ("Miu"); a Guttural Sound ("Mur"); it licks its Self; it sits with Splayed Legs; I understand that the Cat is attempting to communicate via these Behaviours but I am unsure as to the direction of its Communications; I find it inscrutable. I would like to understand the Cat better; however I fear the Cat; I do not want to interact with the Cat; Cats have a tendency to bite or scratch with out Provocation; their Retractable Talons have a significant population of Bacteria resulting in a high Infection Risk; I do not want an Infection. In addition the Cat lacks facial animation; it only stares with Round Eyes; its Ears swivel in a directionless manner; it rarely opens its Mouth except to Vocalise.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Enhydra lutris posted:

I am perplexed by the Cat and its Behaviours; it rubs its Muzzle Region against my lower leg [Knee to Ankle]; it walks in such a way that its Tail coils around my Limb before its departure; it buries its Excrements; it rolls on the Floor thus exposing its Stomach; it makes a variety of Sounds; chief amongst them a Round Sound ("Mow"); a Shrill Sound ("Miu"); a Guttural Sound ("Mur"); it licks its Self; it sits with Splayed Legs; I understand that the Cat is attempting to communicate via these Behaviours but I am unsure as to the direction of its Communications; I find it inscrutable. I would like to understand the Cat better; however I fear the Cat; I do not want to interact with the Cat; Cats have a tendency to bite or scratch with out Provocation; their Retractable Talons have a significant population of Bacteria resulting in a high Infection Risk; I do not want an Infection. In addition the Cat lacks facial animation; it only stares with Round Eyes; its Ears swivel in a directionless manner; it rarely opens its Mouth except to Vocalise.

Otter guy, it makes me so happy to see your posts.

The cat is trying to communicate that it likes you! The only unprovoked violence that might occur is if you try to rub its tummy when it's on its back (it's a sign of trust, but they generally don't want rubs when they do it), but I don't think you'll do that anyway.

Try putting your hand out and letting the cat sniff it. That will be a very scary step for you, but it sounds like this cat is pretty chill and maybe it'll help you calm down. You might even get a kitty kiss! Their tongues feel like sandpaper and it is a very interesting feeling.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Cat Tongues also carry a high population of Bacteria; Cats are unhygienic Creatures; they are renowned as Clean because they lick their selves but this is a Fish Wife Tale; licking their selves does not make them Clean; it only makes them Tidy [neat in Appearance]; just as I would not be considered Clean if I licked my self due to my Saliva having a high population of Bacteria; I am not a Dirty Man but Human Saliva is a Foul Substance; the same is true for Cat Saliva; in addition Cats contract Bacteria and Micro Organisms from Verminous Prey; I fear the licking of the Cat. I will allow the Cat to sniff me; I will close my Eyes and remain very still so that it does not identify me as a Threat or a Prey Creature; but if it attempts to lick me I will depart from the Situation; I avoid Bacteria if it is possible for me to do so; I do not want to contract a Disease; I value the Integrity of my Body and its Health Systems.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Enhydra lutris posted:

I am perplexed by the Cat and its Behaviours; it rubs its Muzzle Region against my lower leg [Knee to Ankle]; it walks in such a way that its Tail coils around my Limb before its departure; it rolls on the Floor thus exposing its Stomach

These all mean "Hi I think you're cool"

Enhydra lutris posted:

Cats have a tendency to bite or scratch with out Provocation;

This kitty sounds like it really likes you, so I doubt it's going to just up and bite you for no reason, especially since you don't want to touch it. If you are still worried, if the cat has a very swishy tail, avoid, that can mean it's grumpy. If the cat has its tail straight up in the air, that is another sign of happiness. If it's still playing with your shoelaces and you don't like it, try making a little yelp noise and then moving away. To the kitty it means "Ouch, you're playing too hard!" and if it's a polite kitty it will stop.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am afraid to yelp in the presence of the Cat; it may associate quick shrill Sounds with Small Rodents (its Natural Prey Creatures); thus identifying me as a Small Rodent; and a Foe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Enhydra lutris posted:

Cat Tongues also carry a high population of Bacteria; Cats are unhygienic Creatures; they are renowned as Clean because they lick their selves but this is a Fish Wife Tale; licking their selves does not make them Clean; it only makes them Tidy [neat in Appearance]; just as I would not be considered Clean if I licked my self due to my Saliva having a high population of Bacteria; I am not a Dirty Man but Human Saliva is a Foul Substance; the same is true for Cat Saliva; in addition Cats contract Bacteria and Micro Organisms from Verminous Prey; I fear the licking of the Cat.

kay...

Enhydra lutris posted:

I will allow the Cat to sniff me; I will close my Eyes and remain very still so that it does not identify me as a Threat or a Prey Creature; but if it attempts to lick me I will depart from the Situation; I avoid Bacteria if it is possible for me to do so; I do not want to contract a Disease; I value the Integrity of my Body and its Health Systems.

There's your key. You will never be a "prey creature." An average human is 20x the size of an average cat. Anyway, sitting still is a way of inviting it in. If the cat is getting in your face, just push it away.

e.

Enhydra lutris posted:

I am afraid to yelp in the presence of the Cat; it may associate quick shrill Sounds with Small Rodents (its Natural Prey Creatures); thus identifying me as a Small Rodent; and a Foe.

Ok this is a troll.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that the Cat prefers it when I am motion less; this fosters an Approach. I can assume that the Opposite Is True; namely that the Cat will be repelled by Swift Motions and Broad Gesticulations; if I move in an Energetic Manner the Cat will not choose to Approach; and I will be left in Peace. Is this Correct? Thank You for providing Helpful Advice regarding the Cat; its Behaviours; its Communications; Safe Handling; the Benevolent Repulsion of the Cat; it is rare for me to receive Helpful Advice on these Awful Forums; the Posters in this Thread are Kind and Of Integrity; and Knowledgeable. G-d Bless.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am not a Troll; I dislike Trolls; these Malicious Individuals deliberately pervert the direction of Forum Threads; they interrupt the flow of Communications; and transfer of useful facts. I would not interrupt the transfer of useful facts; I enjoy useful facts; such as those that I have received from this Thread; I have no Viciousness in my Soul such as that possessed by Trolls; they are Grim and Hateful People; in fact I am frequently a target of Trolls; they attack me with out Mercy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be clear, the cat pays rent by killing spiders and frogs, that is his job. Would it help if you thought of the cat as your personal bodyguard, and his closeness a want to protect you from the spiders?

Are you scared of spiders or cats more?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommonShore posted:

Ok this is a troll.

Yep. Seen him doing exactly the same stunt in E/N and BFC.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Enhydra lutris posted:

HE'S HERE, I FEEL SO BLESSED

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

Ok this is a troll.
Nah he's for real, don't kill the dream

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Otterman, I think you should try staring directly at the cat. If that doesn't put it off, a short sharp hissing noise may work.

Alternatively, if you have access to some sort of small dog, the presence of the dog may deter the cat from wanting to touch you.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am not comfortable in the presence of Spiders; however Spiders are Native Creatures; Frogs are also Native Creatures; I do not want the Cat to kill these Creatures; they are a vital component of the Ecosystem; they are both Predators of flying and crawling Insects; with out the Spiders and the Frogs the flying and crawling Insects will proliferate; resulting in an Infestation of the Premises; furthermore Spiders and Frogs are an important Food Source for more advanced Creatures such as Birds; Bats; Snakes; Other; removing Spiders and Frogs has Repercussions [Effects] both up and down the Food Chain; consequently it is unwise to introduce a new Predator in to a Delicate Biome. I am not afraid of Frogs; they are Benign Creatures; I would rather be approached by a Frog than by a Cat. I do not own a Small Dog; I do own a Taxidermied Fox (Foxes will hunt Cats if no other Food Source is available; though Cats are not their Preferred Food Source); I will consider whether the presence of the Taxidermied Fox will repel the Cat; and discourage its Attentions.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Hey hepcats! Theodore is 9 weeks old, and in the last week, he has taken a shine to rushing out the door of our apartment and into the small hallway outside. There's not much of anyplace for him to run to (beyond down one flight of stairs, where he usually stops), but it's getting a bit annoying, and my wife's not as good at slowly approaching him and picking him up as I am. Any tips to stop him from bolting? He's otherwise very cheery and well-behaved beyond the several-times-a-day "play with me" kitten crazies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enhydra lutris posted:

I am not comfortable in the presence of Spiders; however Spiders are Native Creatures; Frogs are also Native Creatures; I do not want the Cat to kill these Creatures; they are a vital component of the Ecosystem; they are both Predators of flying and crawling Insects; with out the Spiders and the Frogs the flying and crawling Insects will proliferate; resulting in an Infestation of the Premises; furthermore Spiders and Frogs are an important Food Source for more advanced Creatures such as Birds; Bats; Snakes; Other; removing Spiders and Frogs has Repercussions [Effects] both up and down the Food Chain; consequently it is unwise to introduce a new Predator in to a Delicate Biome. I am not afraid of Frogs; they are Benign Creatures; I would rather be approached by a Frog than by a Cat. I do not own a Small Dog; I do own a Taxidermied Fox (Foxes will hunt Cats if no other Food Source is available; though Cats are not their Preferred Food Source); I will consider whether the presence of the Taxidermied Fox will repel the Cat; and discourage its Attentions.
The cats hunt the bugs too, in fact the cat is the ultimate predator, and will pretty much make your home devoid of all other life. This is a good thing. Here is an example of a cat's major duties.

This is not safe for... Bug lovers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apgMjRTtka4

If you spurn the cats affection, it may see you as a rival for it's master's attention, you will have to submit to the cat. I recommend doing this with light massages to the tips of the ears and chins.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Cats are not native to Australia and they cause a lot of ecological havoc, but they exist in great number because cats are also lovely friends who purr at you and have soft little toes that look like beans. It is a dreadful guilt to feel as a hopeless cat lady and an admirer of all kinds of critters. I'm not from Australia but I am from New Zealand which has a similarly fragile native ecosystem that is hosed up by introduced species.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Hey hepcats! Theodore is 9 weeks old, and in the last week, he has taken a shine to rushing out the door of our apartment and into the small hallway outside. There's not much of anyplace for him to run to (beyond down one flight of stairs, where he usually stops), but it's getting a bit annoying, and my wife's not as good at slowly approaching him and picking him up as I am. Any tips to stop him from bolting? He's otherwise very cheery and well-behaved beyond the several-times-a-day "play with me" kitten crazies.

Cats outside the home are dicks and even the most placid of mogs can become a zoomy rear end in a top hat the second they leave the house. It's really just doing what you've currently been doing, although I've had some success clicker training my cats as well. Just charge the clicker (click = treat) until your cat runs to you when you click, and then hang the clicker by the door so if he gets out again, you click and he'll come running back for his treat.

My cats haven't ever made the connection that if they go outside and be cagey assholes about coming back in it'll result in more treats so you should be okay.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Had to take my cat to the vet today. He got into a fight (we think with another cat), and I discovered an open wound near his left knee (about a centimeter in diameter with the skin pulled away) and one on his left cheek that had scabbed over, which he ripped open scratching at least twice today, dripping bloody pus around.

Doc sedated him, flushed the abscesses, and slapped a cone on him. He's home now, but the thing is making him miserable. He struggles to even turn, and just spent long periods sitting in the same position, looking straight ahead (although maybe that's some of the residual anesthesia). Worse, I'm supposed to flush his wounds with a provided syringe until they heal and supply pain meds via oral syringe for the next two days. No idea how I'm going to manage that with an unhappy cat.
Exam, treatment and meds were less than $300, which didn't hurt too much.

To make matters worse, he's a 60/40 outdoor/indoor neighborhood cat that adopted us, and he's desperate to get back outside. He does his business outside, and may have never used litter before (though he has used a pile of Lego). I bought a box and litter, but he hasn't gone since I took him up there almost 9 hours ago at this point. I've put him in the box and made him paw around a bit, but he still hasn't taken the hint. I dunno if it's the cone still freaking him out or not. He has eaten and had a drink, at least.

I don't think he's napped since we got home, either; the cone's got him all hosed up. Vet wants it to stay on 3-4 days, but I'm not sure how we'll manage that. It's already looking pretty gross, getting smeared with stuff from the cheek wound. I want to take it off to clean it, but hell if I know how to get it on again.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Does anyone know the likely prognosis on feline bladder stones? One of my parents' cats is going to be operated on for those quite soon, and I'm a little worried about him. He's a terrible little furgoblin, but, y'know, he's a family furgoblin.

In better news, Rosemary the Butt-Cat is coming up on her two-week move-in anniversary and has not had a butt incident since! She is sweet and lovey and apparently attending to her hygiene properly. Good cat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tamarillo posted:

Cats outside the home are dicks and even the most placid of mogs can become a zoomy rear end in a top hat the second they leave the house. It's really just doing what you've currently been doing, although I've had some success clicker training my cats as well. Just charge the clicker (click = treat) until your cat runs to you when you click, and then hang the clicker by the door so if he gets out again, you click and he'll come running back for his treat.

My cats haven't ever made the connection that if they go outside and be cagey assholes about coming back in it'll result in more treats so you should be okay.

Mine was starting to get the idea of going outside and would poke his head out the door if you left it open to get firewood or take the rubbish out or something like that.

He stepped out onto the doormat one day and I nailed him with a blast from the garden hose I had set up earlier.

hasnt put a whisker over the doorjam since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Pyroclastic posted:

I don't think he's napped since we got home, either; the cone's got him all hosed up. Vet wants it to stay on 3-4 days, but I'm not sure how we'll manage that. It's already looking pretty gross, getting smeared with stuff from the cheek wound. I want to take it off to clean it, but hell if I know how to get it on again.
1. Give him a lot to drink. It does not have to be the collar - he could still be reacting badly to the meds. Water will dilute them and help him process them.
2. Do you have a place where you could take him on a supervised visit outside?
3. Text a photo of the collar to the vet and ask them what to do about it. It really feels it'd better if you didn't take it off at all - too much manipulation altogether, and you'd have to watch out that the cat did not scratch the wound while you cleaned it, which would belie the purpose of it being there at all.
4. For the depression, does he react to catnip, the smell of your socks and whatnot? Actually, this one, I'd also love to get some hints on, because...

Tinycat update.
It turns out that one of the unknown unknows I forgot / did not realise about was cat flu. He apparently got it on Thursday, but we realised it early on Friday. The vet got him the antibiotics for the mucus (I feel like we should get a Frequent Customer thing with her, except we're already getting the antibiotics for free). Tinycat had a very difficult 24 h, anyway:

... but, when we were getting the antibiotics on Saturday again, the vet said that the lungs had cleared a bit. Hurray.

But now... how to put it? He's depressed. He's eating, I've learned how to make him pee and poop, he's sleeping a lot, but the underlying fact is still that his mother does not care much for him and prefers his athletic spazzy brother. It's heartbreaking, to see him crying for her while she's five steps from him, and her not reacting... or when he's suckling on her and she decides that something elsewhere is more interesting to her.

So, anyhow, Tinycat now has the face of someone who, at the age of one month, realised that the world is cruel and does not love him and does not care for him, and that even when he needs to poop, it has to be a human that helps him, not his mother:

And that's just wrong. Kittens should be happy. It's too early for disenchanted cynicism at this age.

...I'm anthropomorphising a lot, but he's just... how to put it? Really lost interest and energy, a lot. It's especially evident when you compare him to his spazz of a brother, but also when you compare him to his own self from just three days ago. I would hate him to go successfully through a disease and die from depression and loss of interest afterwards. How do I cheer him up?