Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

Legacy of Soviet barbers that had the jobs assigned to them.

I'll et you know that Mr. Bean made that haircut popular in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you ever noticed how defenders of communism always have to put quotation marks around "communist" when they talk about actual communist countries? It should really tell you something about the implementation of communism in the real world.

There is and was a significant difference between Marxist Theory, small "c" communism, and "Communism" in the form of a Totalitarian State--that's really state capitalist in nature and not communist at all--that uses Marxism as a label on which to assert their principle of authority.

Incidentally, the authority principle has many forms, but is the thing that Totalitarian regimes, and to some extent authoritarian regimes, use to justify the organs of state power being in the hands of a single party. In the case of the Soviet Union this was the "Communism" label--and it extended far beyond the Soviet Union. As a matter of fact, the Soviets used their claim as the "sole authority" on Marxism to crush communist parties in other parts of the world that disagreed with the CPSU in either theory or practice.

Incidentally, is funny that supports of Capitalism lambast Marxists for their disavowal of the Soviet System, but are totally comfortable doing this themselves when asked about the capitalist dictatorships and their crimes. They also don't like to think about the death toll of capitalism.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Before the war most media was published in Russian, all over Ukraine. Russian was actually the privieged language, not the other way around.

Erm, no. Legally, only Ukrainian was the official language. All foreign movies in theatres were dubbed in Ukrainian, all Russian films on Ukrainian television had to be subtitled and all official documents were in Ukrainian apart from places where the Russian had the regional language status. Russian wasn't exactly illegal or anything, but it was far from being privileged.

Edit: unlike communism, capitalism is not an ideology. Stop arguing about oranges and apples, you fools.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 12, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Erm, no. Legally, only Ukrainian was the official language. All foreign movies in theatres were dubbed in Ukrainian, all Russian films on Ukrainian television had to be subtitled and all official documents were in Ukrainian apart from places where the Russian had the regional language status. Russian wasn't exactly illegal or anything, but it was far from being privileged.

Most publishers printed books and magazines mainy in Russian. 60% of radio stations broadcasted in Russian. Most TV broadcasting was in Russian. I don't really remember the precise name of the analysis I got the numbers from, but I guess I could reproduce it if asked.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
All TV I could watch was in Russian when I was there. I could ask my sister-in-law who lived there for 20 years up until about 2000, and visited frequently, about the prevalence of Nazi-ism in Ukraine and I'm gonna guess that it's minimal.

I mean Russia has been calling Ukraine both Nazis and Jews like loving pick one or the other you liar. Miscellaneous Jewish people have been saying they're totally cool in Ukraine like its no biggie to live there; they wouldn't be saying that if they had lynch mobs running after them.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Runaktla posted:

All TV I could watch was in Russian when I was there. I could ask my sister-in-law who lived there for 20 years up until about 2000, and visited frequently, about the prevalence of Nazi-ism in Ukraine and I'm gonna guess that it's minimal.

I mean Russia has been calling Ukraine both Nazis and Jews like loving pick one or the other you liar. Miscellaneous Jewish people have been saying they're totally cool in Ukraine like its no biggie to live there; they wouldn't be saying that if they had lynch mobs running after them.
:rolleyes: obviously they're zionist nazis, duh.

FWIW I was born in Kharkiv and am fluent in Russian but only conversational in Ukrainian... I mostly muddle through with knowledge of Russian.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Most publishers printed books and magazines mainy in Russian. 60% of radio stations broadcasted in Russian. Most TV broadcasting was in Russian. I don't really remember the precise name of the analysis I got the numbers from, but I guess I could reproduce it if asked.

Well, yes, Russian was and is more popular in general and in my opinion is in no danger of losing this position any time soon, but as I said before, only Ukrainian is the official language with all legal privileges this entails. For example, 80% of Ukrainian pupils were taught in Ukrainian in 2013. And that was under Yanukovich.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I'll be going to the Donetsk region in September to document the war, do some research, and hopefully interview soldiers on both sides of the line. Do NAF soldiers respect American passports enough to leave American journalists alone, or is there a fair chance I'll end up like Simon Ostrovsky for a week?

You of all people need to read up on loving Caro.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Godholio posted:

He's going with the OSCE so it's not quite the same as showing up in Libya.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, I read that after, but I still think he should read up so he realizes that this stuff is no joke.

Keldoclock posted:

In war nobody is right or wrong.

That's pretty glib and stupid.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Godholio posted:

So many mentions, and no link.

Godholio, is Horatio right, or the guy's he's fighting? Are they both right? No. If anything they are both wrong, but that's an oversimplification too. Both sides have political goals which you might consider right or wrong. Then there are the actions of the actual people involved in accomplishing goals; and I am sure there is an equal proportion of bastards and decent human beings on both sides.

I fly R/C aircraft and dick around with ardupilot on my own time. Here is a guy who did it in a situation where his live was related to how well it was done. Is it not natural that I would want to exchange information, regardless of my political views?

I guess none of that is mutually exclusive with my statement being glib and stupid.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 12, 2015

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Keldoclock posted:

I'll save you the trouble: He did what you're thinking of doing in Syria and it ended very poorly.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Keldoclock posted:

Godholio, is Horatio right, or the guy's he's fighting? Are they both right? No. If anything they are both wrong, but that's an oversimplification too. Both sides have political goals which you might consider right or wrong. Then there are the actions of the actual people involved in accomplishing goals; and I am sure there is an equal proportion of bastards and decent human beings on both sides.

I fly R/C aircraft and dick around with ardupilot on my own time. Here is a guy who did it in a situation where his live was related to how well it was done. Is it not natural that I would want to exchange information, regardless of my political views?

I guess none of that is mutually exclusive with my statement being glib and stupid.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Keldoclock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be-QXSTOLx4

This video sums him up pretty well.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Godholio posted:

I'm well aware of what happened to Caro. There's a huge difference between flying to another country to take part in an armed conflict and embedding with the OSCE for two weeks, unarmed, to observe and research for my course work. I have no intention of hanging around any areas longer than the OSCE deems it safe.

e:

@OP, did you believe Russian forces had landed in Crimea prior to Putin's admission of such a year after the fact? Or did you know that was BS from the beginning?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'll save you the trouble: He did what you're thinking of doing in Syria and it ended very poorly.

You are mistaking me for someone else. The only thing I'm "thinking of doing" is more shitposting.

however...

holy poo poo loving lol posted:

The first side quest involved getting a cellular telephone SIM card for the rebel cell network. My first attempt resulted in me borrowing and then inadvertently stealing one from some guy due to a breakdown in communications. I apologized after he called me and demanded to know what the gently caress I was doing and we tried it again. This second attempt resulted in a successful SIM card purchase. Remember, I had not learnt any Arabic yet at this point on my trip.

Videos, news reports, a loving NPR interview. What a goldmine :jerky:

EDIT: I can clearly see the value in this sort of footage, but why send people to a warzone to get it? Wouldn't it be better to just like, find english speaking people in a warzone via the internet and send them cameras?

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 12, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you ever noticed how defenders of communism always have to put quotation marks around "communist" when they talk about actual communist countries? It should really tell you something about the implementation of communism in the real world.

The only true communism is writing long boring posts or handing out boring pamphlets to people who don't give a gently caress about communism and wish you would stop showing up at their events.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The only true communism is writing long boring posts or handing out boring pamphlets to people who don't give a gently caress about communism and wish you would stop showing up at their events.

Marx's legacy writ dumb

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I would like to move to Novorossiya. How would I go about doing this?

Can I use my American passport?

e: Do you know any officials that could help me out with my quest?

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 13, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Are you dead OP? Did the FSB get to you for talking?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Abandoning your A/T thread because you got told is hihgly illegal.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

Friendly Tumour posted:

Abandoning your A/T thread because you got told is hihgly illegal.

I havent seen any questions posted, so why bother with the communism dicussion. Im amazed at how many tears and rage I got out of this, though. Someone even got mad enough to change my flair!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm still waiting for you to respond to how that Vice reporter was able to perfectly recreate photos taken by members of the Russian military in various locations in Ukraine if Russia's military isn't in Ukraine.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm still waiting for you to respond to how that Vice reporter was able to perfectly recreate photos taken by members of the Russian military in various locations in Ukraine if Russia's military isn't in Ukraine.

I don't remember any proof of said person being in the Russian military though, aside from a little text blurb on his VK page? Hell, I've got a a RD uniform too, that makes me a russian soldier? Point being, as I repeat it. There are no Russian regulars in Ukraine. If you wanted actual, tough question, why not post that photo of Kamaz Vystrel? That's as hard of a proof that Russian specops is operating in the region, but you seem hellbent on either trying to prove Russia is sending conscripts here, or even trying to prove something to me when I had repeatedly said that I basically don't give a gently caress?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HoratioRash posted:

dance my puppets, dance!

I did ask you a question though. Two, even.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Do you mean this one?

Friendly Tumour posted:

Is there any evidence of the Odessa clashes being organized by anyone, as opposed to being an example of anarchic violence between two mobs? Also, what mass graves? Do you have any links? As for speaking Russian and ending up in a hospital, I doubt that, but I imagine the result would be far worse if someone was to speak Ukrainian in Separatist territories, so pot, meet kettle. As for language problems or PS, that hardly seems like enough of a reason to invade a sovereign country.

Again, you said you were fighting to stop genocide and ethnic cleansing, but as far as I know it's the Ukrainians who've been ethnically cleansed from separatist held territories and not the other way around.
Might as well spell it out if you actually want an answer.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks, crashcat.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6xnC--5eU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANt0cExQ0X8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpouzEsQ6MI

Please, if you're making such bold claims of us ethically cleansing ukrainians, then maybe you've got some proof? Actual proof, video recordings, for example, statements by republic governments(oh wait, it's Chokie who said that our children will be hiding in the basements), publications by say, OBSE, who is totally not just cruising around the city eating and boozing in Melrose instead of working or whatever?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HoratioRash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6xnC--5eU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANt0cExQ0X8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpouzEsQ6MI

Please, if you're making such bold claims of us ethically cleansing ukrainians, then maybe you've got some proof? Actual proof, video recordings, for example, statements by republic governments(oh wait, it's Chokie who said that our children will be hiding in the basements), publications by say, OBSE, who is totally not just cruising around the city eating and boozing in Melrose instead of working or whatever?

What the gently caress am I supposed to be looking at here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sorry for the derail, OP. Another question re MH17.

http://top.rbc.ru/politics/15/07/2015/55a65cec9a7947b2cda73f02

It looks like the investigation team concluded that it's separatists who've downed the plain. When/if they publish their report with the same conclusion, can it change your stance in any way?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What about your claim of finding mass graves? It seems the logical thing would be asking Red Cross or similar international organization to conduct investigation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lol, this must be what its like for a thread to be mobbed by russian conspiracy theorists but in reverse.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Please respond to my question about immigration, OP.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

unlike communism, capitalism is not an ideology. Stop arguing about oranges and apples, you fools.

What!?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
cummunism

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I've been to Lviv and never had problems with my Russian. It's a big tourist city and literally no one minds what language you speak. They do exploit Bandera aesthetics to attract tourists in some pubs and restaurants, but even there waiters are perfectly willing to speak Russian.

There are, however, some people in more rural areas who are less okay with Russian language. Things like bus drivers denying service to Russian-speaking are not unheard of, but not as common as you would imagine.

I don't want to appear to be supporting the Russian side on this but I'm afraid my experience in Lviv was exactly the opposite, I quickly stopped trying to practice my Russian because literally every time I got an angry response along the lines of "I'm not Russian, speak English".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jarmak posted:

I don't want to appear to be supporting the Russian side on this but I'm afraid my experience in Lviv was exactly the opposite, I quickly stopped trying to practice my Russian because literally every time I got an angry response along the lines of "I'm not Russian, speak English".

I concur, when I was to Lviv, one of my friends tried to use his Russian, and ultimately we settled on my English because it produced no negative reactions. Lviv is certainly a tourist city, but based on what I've seen in the hostel we used, it was not about Russian tourism.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So, again, I haven't followed most of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or the MH17 crash, but apparently there is now footage of pro-Russian troops looting the dead and poo poo at the crash scene. Can you please explain how this is a CIA plant as well? I would like to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K70igRdKVhA

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/europe/ukraine-mh17-aftermath-video/

quote:

A year after Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was shot down over Ukraine, Australian leaders have slammed harrowing video footage that appears to show Russian-speaking fighters rifling through the belongings of victims at the crash site.

News Corp Australia published the video Friday as relatives of the 298 people killed aboard the commercial airliner still wait for those responsible to be brought to justice.

The footage shows smoldering wreckage strewn across a grassy field. At one point, a man dressed in combat fatigues dumps clothes and other belongings out of a backpack.

In the background, voices can be heard speaking Russian, telling "civilians" to leave the area.

People talking off camera remark that the aircraft was a passenger plane carrying foreigners. One of them asks how it was allowed to fly through the area.

News Corp Australia reported that Russian-backed rebels filmed the footage using a camcorder.

CNN couldn't immediately verify whether the video is authentic or who the people in it are. But top government officials in Australia, 38 of whose citizens and residents were on the aircraft, spoke out about it.

News Corp Australia flagged the footage as new in its reports Friday, but it appears at least some may already have been in the public domain.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's just one of the many looter videos. The one that has literally changed me for the worse was a video of a bombardment victim who got her legs blown off, yet remained somewhat lucid for a while - and even before she died, Novorussian looters took her jewellery and other valuables. They swarmed around the dying, desperate woman like vultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

It's just one of the many looter videos. The one that has literally changed me for the worse was a video of a bombardment victim who got her legs blown off, yet remained somewhat lucid for a while - and even before she died, Novorussian looters took her jewellery and other valuables. They swarmed around the dying, desperate woman like vultures.

Care to link it?

• Locked thread