Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well that was all quite predictable. The only good thing is Watson has to be dropped and wont blight a test pitch with LBW reviewed OUT again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I'm legit disappointed that I missed another Watson review.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
millions of australian cricket fans are waking up right now checking the score and getting angry at watto. its great.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I went to bed angry at watto.

Lords will be fun. Last time Australia played there they were trounced.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

-Spiffy- posted:

I'm legit disappointed that I missed another Watson review.

A double watson is a perfect way to end his career.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

This is no great epiphany but cricketers, and the Australians in particular, must just be the biggest loving meatheads on the planet, tour after tour to England regardless of whoever is in the side and who is coaching they continue to play like it's the Gabba in the first test. The bowling was a total disgrace and I am genuinely shocked we even got 20 wickets, Johnson and Starc just bowling short rubbish and when it gets easily hit to the fence they just deliver it again because their small brains can't digest how it continues to happen.

The batsmen are no better, the English bowled well but they weren't throwing down unplayable thunderbolts all day, in the first innings Clarke and Smith both got done trying to prove how big they are against a spinner they had no respect for

Also there is no safer bet than Watson failing miserably when it really counts, that guy has to be the biggest passenger in the history of professional sports

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
In hindsight Clarke and Smith getting out to Ali like loser idiots was probably as costly as the Root drop. Even another 100 runs between them could have changed the game. They could have just got out next over of course but they are supposed to be among the best players of spin in the world.

Cricket is about winning the moments and England did that really well. Wood blasting that 30 was a really underrated moment where the game was psychologically taken from Australia.

Also what was with Clarke's captaincy. It was very odd.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Clarke and Lehmann maybe expected Starc/Johnson to blow the English away (and they almost did but Haddin hosed it up) and when they didn't there was no Plan B. And then we had the usual idiot batting against good (but not incredible) line and length bowling and spin on a slower pitch.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

24-inch pythons brother

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EMC posted:

This is no great epiphany but cricketers, and the Australians in particular, must just be the biggest loving meatheads on the planet, tour after tour to England regardless of whoever is in the side and who is coaching they continue to play like it's the Gabba in the first test. The bowling was a total disgrace and I am genuinely shocked we even got 20 wickets, Johnson and Starc just bowling short rubbish and when it gets easily hit to the fence they just deliver it again because their small brains can't digest how it continues to happen.

The batsmen are no better, the English bowled well but they weren't throwing down unplayable thunderbolts all day, in the first innings Clarke and Smith both got done trying to prove how big they are against a spinner they had no respect for

Also there is no safer bet than Watson failing miserably when it really counts, that guy has to be the biggest passenger in the history of professional sports

For some reason they're terrified of bringing in some of the young talent who have shown they can bowl a good line and length because they don't have blistering pace, its ridiculous.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

BlindSite posted:

For some reason they're terrified of bringing in some of the young talent who have shown they can bowl a good line and length because they don't have blistering pace, its ridiculous.
What young talent is this exactly? Could we really have gone into this test with an attack that wasn't Johnson, Starc and Hazlewood? All three of them demanded selection over Peter Siddle

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shmoses posted:

What young talent is this exactly? Could we really have gone into this test with an attack that wasn't Johnson, Starc and Hazlewood? All three of them demanded selection over Peter Siddle

Fekete wouldn't have been a bad option to have in the squad, Sean Abbott would have been a good player to have over there as well. Hell at this point I'd consider Gurinder.

Siddle hasn't been in the best form, but he's at least consistent in his length and consistent in his ability to bowl over after over after over without needing a rest because he's hurt or going to break down. I wouldn't necessarily have him in place of any of the three we picked though.

I'm not saying the Australian selectors have done a bad job, but cricket in Australia in particular has a habit of holding on to players for far too long when there's a better alternative and not trying to tailor the team around the opposition and pitches they'll be playing on, opting instead to try and fit square pegs in round holes because they're ranked higher.

Starc, Hazelwood and Johnson would have been fine as a three pronged pace attack if they had an all rounder who could bowl better than Watson.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I wasn't too upset with the bowling selections, though I posted in here saying Johnson has historically sucked in England and Starc hasn't been able to produce anything close to his one day form in test cricket. But either their planning, execution or both was totally lacking

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EMC posted:

I wasn't too upset with the bowling selections, though I posted in here saying Johnson has historically sucked in England and Starc hasn't been able to produce anything close to his one day form in test cricket. But either their planning, execution or both was totally lacking

The difference it seemed to me was it looked like England came out, and went "ok David Warner, need to bowl full, just outside off, need it swinging away" or "Watson need, to put them a little shorter swinging back in toward leg" "smith and clarke like to shuffle across, need to beat them with late movement at a full length".

Whereas the Australians seemed to have no plan and no consistency for attacking the batsmen it was like they just went, welp lets bowl fast with no consistent line or length on a slow pitch that hasn't been carrying and it wasn't until late in the 2nd innings that they woke up to how they needed to approach it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

johnson, Starc and Hazlewood are genuinely the best picks. No real issue there - the problems are more around other factors by the looks of it, they honestly didnt bowl that badly. I dont think Harris would have made much of a difference if he had been around and while there are some good young bowlers, I doubt they would have done much better in the circumstances.

The real isuues were more Clarke was basically trying to make up a new plan every couple of overs rather than building pressure, Watson was poo poo, dropped catches and fields that didnt really allow the bowlers to zero in. Oh and stupid batting - Smith especially should be told off for being a right idiot, he just should not have been doing what he did. He's not the No 5 or 6, he's supposed to be the best batsman and he should have dug in hard.

Changes required - SURELY Watson is done now. Mitch Marsh at the very least is a better batsman even if his bowling isnt up to scratch. Haddin out, Nevill in. Tell Clarke to settle on a plan and stick with it for longer than 5 overs.

At least Smith going on past history will work out fairly quick what went wrong and I'm confident he'll put up a bigger score at Lords.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If only the poms had prepared a sporting wicket we might have had an even match. Oh well.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

BlindSite posted:

Fekete wouldn't have been a bad option to have in the squad, Sean Abbott would have been a good player to have over there as well. Hell at this point I'd consider Gurinder.

I don't know who either of them are but I'm pretty sure their faces don't fit.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

You know Australia will do something ultra dumb like bring in Mitchell Marsh for Voges and keep Watto around

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Andrew Fekete is a white boy but he's a bit of a trundler. In England though he might be able to put it on a good length and take wickets. He is in his 30s though. Gurinder Sandhu is tall and swings the ball but isn't what Australia wants in a test bowler. Again he might be the type to do well in England though

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I assume Pattison is broken again?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Isn't Pattinson on the A team tour for some strange reason? It would make lots more sense to have him in the Ashes squad and let Cummins actually play First Class games that aren't going to be Ashes tests... I'm sure Pattinson bowled relatively well in the 2013 Ashes, might be misremembering though...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

EMC posted:

I assume Pattison is broken again?

He has been drafted into the Australian A tour to replace Cummins in the limited over stuff. He's coming back from another injury and I doubt he's got the overs in him to play test cricket right now.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lol this is great.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Really irritating that loving England happen to strike Australia at their weakest , I suspect they'll cull all the dead wood and be back on the upswing v NZ later in the year.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Watto bat (stolen from Reddit)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Has anyone put together a supercut of Watson LBW, review, out clips yet?

Apparently he has the world record for highest LBW percentage of any batsman with 100+ innings

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

webmeister posted:

Has anyone put together a supercut of Watson LBW, review, out clips yet?

Apparently he has the world record for highest LBW percentage of any batsman with 100+ innings

Heres a start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQgyIQrkQqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdwelPDdBVo

Bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZMqyz_N16M

nzspambot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 12, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Selectors will be thinking, we lost by 169, Joe Root made 134 after being dropped on 0, no changes needed except extra catching drills. Watto rides again because he has good line and length for English conditions

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yessss test cricket is the best thing. Can't wait til thursday. Who will be selected, how will they respond, what turns are yet to come? gently caress yessss cricket!

Yesssssss

Teeeeeeesssst

Crickeeeeeerrrrt

:boonie:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

They've been selecting well in the nets.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Give Steve Smith a bowl

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Johnson took 2-180 :lol:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

M Marsh in, Starc out. What's better than 1 useless so called all rounder? 2 useless so called allrounders!

(Although I do reckon that M Marsh should make the team)

Alternate theory, they tell Starc to suck it up, and drop Voges for S Marsh in the hope that his youthful, (32 year old) energy will spark the team.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I love how in almost every single one of these videos, Watson stalks off the ground shaking his head and muttering. He really just has no idea where his front pad is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

webmeister posted:

I love how in almost every single one of these videos, Watson stalks off the ground shaking his head and muttering. He really just has no idea where his front pad is

Apparently he has used DRS 29 times.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUKtvRJe3E

This one is pretty good because they are all times he reviewed, most are LBW straight from the text book, pitching middle going on to hit middle

I do have to wonder what the non striker is telling him though - maybe they think it is just as funny as everyone else

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If Watto is batting at 3 and the opener has fallen cheaply it's arguably worth a go with 2/2 reviews to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
To be fair there were a few others in this test who were worse than Watto.