Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
On Salt Spray Rig, I've always had good luck just climbing up behind them and whacking them in the face with my roller. They're usually too busy being The Coolest Fucker Playing Splatoon to notice what's going on behind them.

I usually have pretty good luck climbing any perch and blindly whacking with the sniper. They don't like that. Works great in Kelp Dome, Blackbelly Skatepark and Urchin Underpass too. It has to be one you can ink the wall of and squid up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bown posted:

I like the Sploosh-O-Matic and would like something similar in fire rate but with a little more range, where should I be lookin'

There's also the Splash-O-Matic. It's a bit longer range, just as fast fire rate, but doesn't spread as wide so you have to be more accurate. It also has Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush. :getin:

LethalGeek posted:

Only gripe I have about the new map is you're way to exposed while trying to climb walls to get at the chargers that make the ramps to the walls needed in the first place!

There's a fairly concealed route to take if you're trying to get around a Charger.

The big thing is that you don't go up the ramp on their side of the center, go along the little passage beside it and then up the wall of the ramp. They'll see you coming if they're paying attention, but there's just enough cover and the distances are short enough you can dash between them relatively safely. Just watch out when you get on top of their ramp at the base, that's when you're most vulnerable to any support the Charger has, or anybody that happens to be right there.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rank A+ is something else. I've gotten this far with the Krak-On Roller, but I don't know how much good it's going to do me now. Maybe it's just Moray Towers, but I've been getting destroyed.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Onean posted:

There's a fairly concealed route to take if you're trying to get around a Charger.

The big thing is that you don't go up the ramp on their side of the center, go along the little passage beside it and then up the wall of the ramp. They'll see you coming if they're paying attention, but there's just enough cover and the distances are short enough you can dash between them relatively safely. Just watch out when you get on top of their ramp at the base, that's when you're most vulnerable to any support the Charger has, or anybody that happens to be right there.

This is cool and I'd like to see more things like this! Where did you find the blank stage map? Is there a good place to find blank maps of all the stages?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Moray tower is so good.

I like you, but this is just plain wrong. gently caress that map.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I still completely one hundred percent absolutely totally refuse to believe rollers are any good in Moray Towers. The moment you hit mid point, there's nothing you can do. There will always be a charger in that one sniper spot that locks you down with no way out.

EDIT:

Onean posted:

There's also the Splash-O-Matic. It's a bit longer range, just as fast fire rate, but doesn't spread as wide so you have to be more accurate. It also has Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush. :getin:

though I guess I'll have to try this

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Moray Towers is a cool looking map, but it's a loving nightmare for me. No where to really hide, and it's essentially a series of hallways. Great for snipers at least.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onean posted:

There's a WHAT now? That's gonna really help on splat zones.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CatsPajamas posted:

This is cool and I'd like to see more things like this! Where did you find the blank stage map? Is there a good place to find blank maps of all the stages?

I just Googled Moray Towers and chose a decent looking map from Images. Sadly, I'm not aware of a good place to get maps. :(

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Moray Tower is unfathomably boring in splatzones. I guess it's nice to have a map that's a change of pace from the other ones, but definitely not for me.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Sorry Saltspray Rig, Moray Towers is now my favorite map. Still haven't tried it on Tower Control though.

Unrelated to that, I had an amazing ranked match in Walleye Warehouse earlier. Someone on my team dropped out of the lobby so it was me with an Aerospray and two rollers versus a full team. We won with a knockout and I got 23 splats. That was a drat good feeling.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nah gently caress it moray towers sucks at least in turf war, haven't tried it in anything else

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Suction Bomb seem to to work great at hitting Chargers and Splatershot Proon that one spot in Moray Tower especial if you stick on the side of the wall where they can't see it. Killer Wails on the opposite side works too.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

As a charger player, I've been splatted by Inkzookas more often than I care to admit, even as the other squid pulls it out and I think, "Lol you can't hit me from there" and it turns out they can.

Usually after that, if a good team can form a defense line that prevents me from getting to the most ideal perches (Walleye centre boxes, Blackbelly centre tower) then usually that pushes things in their favour.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Bruceski posted:

There's a WHAT now? That's gonna really help on splat zones.

lol this was the very first thing i noticed about the map, stay fresh

if the other team knows about the path though, there's usually at least one person trying to defend that approach, so you gotta make sure nobody notices you.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
One idea I use on the mall during splat zones as a roller is swim speed up and decoy a sniper by swimming around and jumping the ink they splat. They get so angry while they try to get you and you intermittently cover his paint that it distracts him from a threat from behind. This assumes a competent team while someone back stabs him.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
This game is making me angry every time I see a Kana name, time to take a break.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Still waiting on a rollerblade/spray can combo. Just make it the same as the brush except you don't have to flick (and balance it however they need to). My point is,

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There should be a blaster with a super slow shot that hovers eerily through the air before making a very big explosion. There should be a gun that fires a continuous stream that you can slosh around. There should be a weapon that's just a bucket.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CatsPajamas posted:

Since people gave some good charger advice, how about some anti-charger advice? Specifically, how do you deal with a charger when you can't flank them?

Examples of where I've encountered this situation are: Moray Towers when the charger is on the opposite side above the central space, Salt Spray Rig when the charger is on their home area guarding the lower platform or on the raised platforms above the pipes on the top area (not the ones you can flank, the ones where their back is to large top square), and Arowana Mall when the charger is on one of their side platforms watching the central chokepoint.

The possible strategies for dealing with this I'm aware of are:

• Using a special - This requires you to charge a special, though most specials would work: Inkzooka, Ink Strike, Bubbler, Kraken and possibly a Bomb Rush. The charger can still splat you if you use the Inkzooka or Bomb Rush though, and unless you actually splat the charger with the special they might just move temporarily.
  • Using a bomb - You'd actually have to be in range for this, which is difficult against good chargers. Again, unless the charger actually gets splatted they can just move temporarily.
  • Wait for the Charger to be distracted - This is difficult because it either requires good teamwork or taking advantage of the charger's mistakes, but the only consistent way I've found to deal with a charger in these situations is to sneak up on them when they're looking in another direction. If you're doing this, try to keep your ink out of their field of vision.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or stories to share for how they took down a charger?

Eh, I inkrush past em, or I get near the base of where they're sniping from and throw a sprinkler above them. As long as you're completing objectives chargers don't matter.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You make an excellent point and I'm mad I didn't think of it. That should help

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
Actual Best Path™

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TheRevolution1 posted:

Actual Best Path™

every charger stands there and makes it impossible to go up the ramp and then the wall

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

Since people gave some good charger advice, how about some anti-charger advice? Specifically, how do you deal with a charger when you can't flank them?

Examples of where I've encountered this situation are: Moray Towers when the charger is on the opposite side above the central space, Salt Spray Rig when the charger is on their home area guarding the lower platform or on the raised platforms above the pipes on the top area (not the ones you can flank, the ones where their back is to large top square), and Arowana Mall when the charger is on one of their side platforms watching the central chokepoint.

The possible strategies for dealing with this I'm aware of are:

• Using a special - This requires you to charge a special, though most specials would work: Inkzooka, Ink Strike, Bubbler, Kraken and possibly a Bomb Rush. The charger can still splat you if you use the Inkzooka or Bomb Rush though, and unless you actually splat the charger with the special they might just move temporarily.
  • Using a bomb - You'd actually have to be in range for this, which is difficult against good chargers. Again, unless the charger actually gets splatted they can just move temporarily.
  • Wait for the Charger to be distracted - This is difficult because it either requires good teamwork or taking advantage of the charger's mistakes, but the only consistent way I've found to deal with a charger in these situations is to sneak up on them when they're looking in another direction. If you're doing this, try to keep your ink out of their field of vision.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or stories to share for how they took down a charger?

One time an inkbrush got in my personal space, so I popped my shield. She then slapped that thing on the ground, ran actual circles around me, and tore me apart as soon as my shield dropped.

It was so cool I couldn't even get mad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Every time you see a bubbler on Moray Towers, it is your duty to drop whatever you're doing and try to push it over the nearest edge.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I feel bad playing unranked now; the players are so bad. Single-handedly spawn trapping the entire enemy team, leading me to have more kills than everybody else in the lobby combined.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

There should be a blaster with a super slow shot that hovers eerily through the air before making a very big explosion. There should be a gun that fires a continuous stream that you can slosh around. There should be a weapon that's just a bucket.

There should be a shock rifle :hellyeah:

Nevermind how they would handle the controls.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Modus Pwnens posted:

There should be a shock rifle :hellyeah:

Nevermind how they would handle the controls.

What if there was a wet/dry vac?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So this 96 Gal Deco is pretty legit, I'm enjoying the good accuracy, wall, and kraken combos for tower control when the krakon roller just isn't able to deal with chargers. It's just really slow to cover ground and I feel so lethargic when trying to move while shooting.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Well, it had to be disadvantaged somehow. I've found the best way to cover is to angle yourself so that the area you want to cover is in a straight line in front of you, angle up, and just spray, slowly holding the left stick to one side if you require lateral coverage. You should get an even coat that way. Without the original loadout's sprinkler, you do have to get a hang of it if you want to have your special more than once a match. Use the range to your advantage, you're practically a sniper; if you're advancing, find a perch and continually be covering distant ink and picking kids off from a safe distance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Japan is advertising some Stuffed Squid with the sisters. How spooky

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's so hosed up

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Smiles posted:

As a charger player, I've been splatted by Inkzookas more often than I care to admit, even as the other squid pulls it out and I think, "Lol you can't hit me from there" and it turns out they can.

Usually after that, if a good team can form a defense line that prevents me from getting to the most ideal perches (Walleye centre boxes, Blackbelly centre tower) then usually that pushes things in their favour.

As a charger player I get killed by Inkzookas all the time because it kills you instantly if you're in line of sight at all. Don't know if lag contributes at all but if someone pops their special and fires at the same time there's nothing you can do unless you were already moving.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

By the way, ikameshi is rice-stuffed squid and the comic depicts them getting full from eating rice

Edit: That may be obvious but I wanted to hammer in the point that the ad is literally "come eat the Squid Sisters"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 12, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Anything that Callie and Marie advertise I will buy, just as long as they notice me! :swoon:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Anything that Callie and Marie advertise I will buy, just as long as they notice me! :swoon:

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CIiGI6-UAAAxVrl.mp4

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Every time you see a bubbler on Moray Towers, it is your duty to drop whatever you're doing and try to push it over the nearest edge.

Noooo leave me be.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want this. I wish I lived somewhere where this was a thing I could get. Squid in general really.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Splatoon; a world of squids, kids, and casual cannibalism.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really like throwing sprinklers on trucks, helps me charge up my specials a lot.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Relevant to Team Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6OYbrRDd_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Me lookin' fresh while repping the correct team.

• Locked thread